Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Ray D'Arcy Show Thread - Mod note Post # 1 Updated

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

To give Ray credit he has improved when he does an interview. In his interview with the man who sold the mountaineering documentary. Ray didn't try to argue the K2 and Mount Everest were the same mountain, like he did with Will.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭DuckStab

I've been doing my utmost to avoid the show whenever possible, but my curiosity was piqued last night when my news feed on the rather wretched Facebook was flooded with people sharing a link to a Today FM podcast with wonderfully incisive comments like "haha luv ray".
    Had a quick listen, gave a sigh only replicable if Ray himself was put before the control panel for the Large Hadron Collider (no, no, not that one, offline, eject, ahhh where did that black hole come from, go to a break), and calmly blocked whoever decided to inflict it on me!

I see Ray is still going after the hard political targets. A gombeen crony hick trying to justify drink-driving, oh yes it's a real Watergate moment. Pat yourself on the back and just wait for that Pulitzer nomination.
    What exactly did having Healy Rae on for 2 minutes or thereabouts actually achieve, bar another "happy endings" ego massage for the big man himself (5'8.2543768" in case you forgot, he never really mentions it)? Why not just go about it the usual way - trudge through the headline on the paper, sigh, express his opinion as empirical fact, sigh again and move on to trying to find a girlfriend for Des Bishop or whatever asinine feature has been dreamt up this week.

If HR himself rang up demanding airtime I would understand the attitude, but the fact that D'arcy arranged the thing purely for the reason of cutting him off is just beyond ludicrous. Unbearably contrived. Yet it accomplished what it set out to do and had the plebs all abuzz, so kudos I suppose. And of course to finish off the potent bout of egotism, the call ends with the not-at-all-bordering-on-megalomania comment of "It's MY show!"
    Reminded me of something Ray Foley used to do, cutting PJ/Ann off mid-anecdote with "Yeah that's all well and good, but let's not forget this is The Ray Foley Show, so let's get back to what matters - me." Except with him it was done tongue-in-cheek! Well that's my blood pressure bollixed for another month, ciao!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭JM Skipton

For a long time now I've been a regular reader of the posts on this forum.
    I've always thought that it was just basically begruggers moaning about Ray for the sake of moaning.
    Anyway, I've been worn down by you. I don't get to listen to Ray all that much nowadays, but I have to say that I agree with the majority of you about his style of broadcasting.

One of the main reasons I started listening to him was because the late G Ryan would prattle on with the papers for a good 20 or 30 minutes at the start of the show. Ray on the other hand would do about 2 minutes and then into some music. Now Ray has turned slowly into G Ryan IMO. He just waffles on and on with the papers for a good 20 minutes, by which time I've lost the will to live. Then we have all the sighs and general 'grumpy old man' stuff before going on about how great his kids/running/cycling/lifestyle is.Then its interview time, and of course nowadays we cannot let anybody answer a question without interrupting them.
    I did like the way the Healy-Ray interview went (he's a Healy-Ray, he deserves it), but not the way it finished. It was poor by any standards.
    It was also the final straw. It will have to be either Lyric or Nova from now on (there's a wide spectrum :rolleyes:)

The bosses at TodayFM will seriously have to take him aside and have a good long chat with him.
    I really only listen to the show now when Anton is filling in, he's far superior.

Rant over.

And say what?, please stop doing what your doing because we don't want nearly a quarter of a million listeners! There are a lot of excellent critical points made on this thread but the bottom line is outside the "boards" environment he is still hugely popular.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,019 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

ray is going to the shed a few listeners at the next jnlrs. Tubridy will gain a few.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Horse84

JM Skipton wrote: »

And say what?, please stop doing what your doing because we don't want nearly a quarter of a million listeners! There are a lot of excellent critical points made on this thread but the bottom line is outside the "boards" environment he is still hugely popular.

I'm afraid you're probably correct skipton. I made it my business to cut out listening to the show completely since the start of the year, and I finally won my battle at work to switch from today fm. From reading on here I can see I made the right call.
    I didn't hear the interview yday but it was obviously a contrived publicity stunt on d'arcy's behalf and to inflate the guys already huge ego.
    Numbers count though and obviously people take what he says at face value and don't question him and see nothing wrong with his style. What are the listenership figures like out of interest? Did he not have a slight drop there before Xmas?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

I agree with lovelyHurler (Except about Anton -drives me nuts, the know all with the nasally mid Atlantic twang). Ray defo morphing in to the late GR. I used to listen to GR a lot, but realised after a while that GR would never have listend to his own show....I always thought Ray would have listened to The darcy Show...but not anymore - though he does very much enjoy listening to himself. some celeb chef spens 15 minutes detailing a gourmet meal, and Ray says "would you consider putting a fried egg on top" ...Did you hear him the other day prattling on about Lemongrass being a super food etc etc, when he meant Wheatgrass...would have lawved (sic) to see his face after that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Lelantos wrote: »
    Is everyone here sharing the same camel? Time to call the ISPCA

You just won the thread. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Lelantos

wnolan1992 wrote: »

You just won the thread. :D
    What's my prize, your personal mix tape of Ray's greatest eff ups? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭WaltKowalski

Lelantos wrote: »
    Is everyone here sharing the same camel? Time to call the ISPCA
    But not to donate to it!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 170 ✭✭Oh hai

Synode wrote: »
    It's definitely not what it used to be.

Straight swap with Moncrieff would be perfect. Kick Darcy out to his Newstalk slot

This is what I dream of! Someone needs to make this happen!!!

I gave up on him a while back but I follow this thread still and I had to listen to the Healy Rae interview after reading about it. So obviously planned from the beginning that he was going to hang up on him, it was cringey. And for them to use that as a promo for the show is ridiculous.

It's sad what's happened to the show, I used to skip college back in the day just to listen to it sometimes. Now I instantly feel dead inside when I hear his voice.

His ratings have to have gone down in the past year surely? I can't see how they wouldn't have. I tried to hold on for a long time out of some sort of loyalty but he's gone so up his own hole he's never coming back out at this stage.

I'm no Tubirdy fanatic by any means but my mornings are a lot less frustrating since switching over to him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I've finally made the switch. I just can't listening to him anymore without getting wound up. He's just a black hole of negativity sucking the joy out of the day. He started the show this morning saying that you should avoid the days' papers if you don't want to get depressed. Grand so, thanks Ray. Then he starts going into great detail about the case of the Irish Nanny in America. Cheers Ray.

I used to be big fan, and have listened to him since he started on Today FM, so I've stuck with him through some sense of loyalty.

I'll give Tubs a go for a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭DT100

I think Rays head may have enlarged of late,and he thinks he can preach to the nation..I dont often listen any more,but I tuned in recently to sighs and that awful slurping/backwards dribble sound he makes when he talks.Like a hoover sucking up spit:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭yuloni

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

FFS... Dating again on the show.

33840081.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭The lips

Does anyone know when the rate that telly section is going to be aired? I am holding out on buying a 32" until I hear how they score.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭statto25

Own up lads....Who was the six foot, eighteen stone, rugby playing truck driver who spends all his time crying?

The lips wrote: »
    Does anyone know when the rate that telly section is going to be aired? I am holding out on buying a 32" until I hear how they score.

You are joking, right?

statto25 wrote: »
    Own up lads....Who was the six foot, eighteen stone, rugby playing truck driver who spends all his time crying?

Or the usual text into the show...

"Ray, I am here in the kitchen, watching my kids play in their own filth as i haven't had time to do anything around the house as i am locked on your every word this morning, having a cuppa listening to your last story with tears in my eyes... i just went to the front door as i heard a knock and there is the postman delivering my 32 inch telly you recommended in your rate that telly section - even though i overpaid and its an end of line CRT TV from three years ago, but i bought it cause you told me to - and there, standing in front of me, is the postman with tears in his eyes also after listening to your last segment in the van, we hugged each other while wailing crying and we both know and hope that one day, those sad lonely people in your last story, will eventually find dates... also, any chance of a bobble head Ray? - Thanks, Orla in Laois"

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,363 ✭✭✭washiskin

Having avoided listening as much as possible I was subjected to it last week for 1/2 an hour and I think I've got the gist of RD:
    he's the kind of know-it-all you get stuck with in a group in the local who knows that his opinion and his grasp of the issue of the day is fact and right and therefore no-one elses either matters or are valid. Then, when either caught out or proven wrong, retires to the jax in the hope that the previous conversation (and therefore his shortcomings) will be forgotten.

statto25 wrote: »

Jaysis 18 stone and only 6 foot, that truck driver will need to apply to operation transformation next year:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

JM Skipton wrote: »
    Jaysis 18 stone and only 6 foot, that truck driver will need to apply to operation transformation next year:D

Or Run with Ray for 5k!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    I wouldn't say it's a sad state of affairs. Vic Barry is great when he's doing light stuff, really has the craic with segments.
    I have been listening to Victor Barry for about a week now and I have to say I am really enjoying his show. He does a good mix of light stuff and more serious issues, when he has contributors on, he actually listens to what they say rather than sighing and talking over them if he doesn’t agree with what they say. And best of all, he can manage to play music without making a f up every 20 minutes.

ncmc wrote: »
    I have been listening to Victor Barry for about a week now and I have to say I am really enjoying his show. He does a good mix of light stuff and more serious issues, when he has contributors on, he actually listens to what they say rather than sighing and talking over them if he doesn’t agree with what they say. And best of all, he can manage to play music without making a f up every 20 minutes.

Yeah, it's probably the only realistic alternative to D'Arcy for me. Though I do have to turn away when it just turns into a generic phoneshow with people shouting at each other. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭TBP

The lips wrote: »

Oh dear...

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭denishurley

Fairly sure The lips is being sarcastic

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

I heard a promo for arsey the other day during the last word where he was speaking to some bloke who sounded like he cried at everything. What was the story with that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

neris wrote: »
    I heard a promo for arsey the other day during the last word where he was speaking to some bloke who sounded like he cried at everything. What was the story with that?

just a listener who was a very emotional guy and cried at the ddrop of a hat.he was looking for help with the problem.i was crying myself listening to him.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

crazygeryy wrote: »

just a listener who was a very emotional guy and cried at the ddrop of a hat.he was looking for help with the problem.i was crying myself listening to him.:)
    I take it your a 6ft8 truck driver, ya?

Ray Darcy Show up to 243,000 listeners at end of 2012 from 234,00 in 2011, now people I'm sure this thread will turn into a cortege of congratulations. Perhaps there are more truckers in tears dancing around in the kitchen with their 6 year olds than we suspected.:) Anyway let me be the first...... congrats Ray

• Advertisement

Fair dues to him.

243,000 is impressive whatever way you look at it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement