Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Ray D'Arcy Show Thread - Mod note Post # 1 Updated

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,019 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Fair play, i thought he was on the way down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

His Dublin share is down though isn't it ?

edit. that may be just Today FM overall, it was commented that there's a very outside the pale hint to their profile.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Caledonman

He is a good presenter... Listen's to his own PR a bit much, loves the sound of his own voice, but is probably entitled to that.. At least he is not afraid to voice his opinions, and I think people appreciate that.. Well done..

• Registered Users Posts: 21,019 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

did tubs lose more than 100% of his last increase??

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I read he was down 6k?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭JM Skipton

Sully wrote: »
    I read he was down 6k?

That's in the last quarter, he has been up and down each quarter but overall year on year (which is the best indication) he is up 9k

• Subscribers Posts: 41,590 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Sully wrote: »
    I read he was down 6k?

I'd love to see the percentage figures of overall listeners at particular times.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭darklighter

Caledonman wrote: »
    He is a good presenter... Listen's to his own PR a bit much, loves the sound of his own voice, but is probably entitled to that.. At least he is not afraid to voice his opinions, and I think people appreciate that.. Well done..

By jaysus, I want to throw the radio out the window at work listening to D'arcy everyday but I have to give credit where it due, unlike a lot of public figures, he has a backbone and actually articulates an opinion.

Cant believe i'm praising a man i hate listening to :eek:

Des Bishop on Ray D'Arcy talking about his new show how drink affects the Irish. Certain lack of originality on both counts here.
    Firstly how many times does Des Bishop have to be on the Ray D'Arcy show and how many times do we need to be told we have a problem with our relationship with drink?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

JM Skipton wrote: »
    ....and how many times do we need to be told we have a problem with our relationship with drink?
    Probably enough times until we actually deal with

• Advertisement

BaZmO* wrote: »

I don't have a problem with it, nor do my friends. I resent this whole the Irish have a problem with drink thing. 'We' don't have a problem, some Irish do however, as do some English, Scottish, Welsh etc etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

ThisRegard wrote: »
    I don't have a problem with it, nor do my friends. I resent this whole the Irish have a problem with drink thing. 'We' don't have a problem, some Irish do however, as do some English, Scottish, Welsh etc etc etc.

What a very blinkered view, just because "you" don't have a problem with it doesn't mean that "we" as a society don't.
    Sure using that logic we should stop funding or awareness programs for anything "you" or "your friends" don't have a problem with.

What a very blinkered view, just because "you" don't have a problem with it doesn't mean that "we" as a society don't.
    Sure using that logic we should stop funding or awareness programs for anything "you" or "your friends" don't have a problem with.

It's not particular to Irleand, that's my point. All these things are made to be particular to Irish people when it's not, it's a global issue. And you've made some leap to imply that I've said that we should stop funding programs.

So in the immortal words of Tonto, what's this we business.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

It's not particular to Irleand, that's my point. All these things are made to be particular to Irish people when it's not, it's a global issue. And you've made some leap to imply that I've said that we should stop funding programs.

So in the immortal words of Tonto, what's this we business.

But just because it's not unique to Ireland, that doesn't mean we(as in Irish society) don't have a problem. Sure it's a global problem, and other countries should take steps to solve the problems in their countries, but I don't get your position which seems to say "It's not just an Irish problem, so something which specifically looks at the Irish problem is irrelevant/pointless."

Any society which glorifies alcohol consumption to the degree which is done in this country (Arthur's Day, Barack Obama drinking Guinness as a sign of how Irish he is) has a problem.

And don't get me wrong, I like going out and getting obliterated on occasion, and I'm more or less against most of the measures which are being proposed (minimum pricing in particular) which will penalise the responsible drinkers for the actions of others.

Ok, fair enough, Irish society has this problem in that some elements of it have issues with alcohol, maybe it's my disdain of Bishop and his a jaysus you Irish are mad aren't you with your drinking and fighting, sure you could have spend your time being productive and learning Irish that's really irritating me.

I was suggesting this was an extremely unimaginative way to get us to deal with it, I don't think Des Bishop trying to be funny on an RTE documentary is going to get Irish people to deal with it.

Ok, fair enough, Irish society has this problem in that some elements of it have issues with alcohol, maybe it's my disdain of Bishop and his a jaysus you Irish are mad aren't you with your drinking and fighting, sure you could have spend your time being productive and learning Irish that's really irritating me.

He did come across as preachy in that interview to be fair, but I think some of his points were valid. :)
    JM Skipton wrote: »
    I was suggesting this was an extremely unimaginative way to get us to deal with it, I don't think Des Bishop trying to be funny on an RTE documentary is going to get Irish people to deal with it.

I agree, I don't think it'll have much effect. But I don't think it can hurt to give more air time to the idea that the way the majority of people in this country view alcohol is not healthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,978 ✭✭✭wyrn

Had to turn over to Lyric today after I heard him yet again go on and on about Got to Dance. I don't know how many times he brought it up with Arlene Phillips and he even asked her did she watch it! I know she's no longer a judge on Strictly but imagine if a guest asked Ray he listened to Liveline yesterday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    And don't get me wrong, I like going out and getting obliterated on occasion, and I'm more or less against most of the measures which are being proposed (minimum pricing in particular) which will penalise the responsible drinkers for the actions of others.

But as a responsible drinker would it bother you that much if the cost of a can of beer was set at say €2.00 or €2.50 a can instead of being €1.00 or less for some brands in the big supermarkets? I don't think the competition between the big supermarkets in terms of alcohol pricing is really encouraging responsible drinking, do you?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

But as a responsible drinker would it bother you that much if the cost of a can of beer was set at say €2.00 or €2.50 a can instead of being €1.00 or less for some brands in the big supermarkets? I don't think the competition between the big supermarkets in terms of alcohol pricing is really encouraging responsible drinking, do you?

You mean we shouldn't have a problem with a 100 - 150 percent increase in the price of alcohol? Do you know how much a bottle of quality beere is in Germany?
    This minimum pricing nonsense is a sop to the publicans.

• Advertisement

You mean we shouldn't have a problem with a 100 - 150 percent increase in the price of alcohol? Do you know how much a bottle of quality beere is in Germany?
    This minimum pricing nonsense is a sop to the publicans.

And Germany is having its own problems with alcohol abuse:
    http://www.thelocal.de/society/20110426-34631.html#.URDgwq7Cqd4
    Moreover, the effects of binge drinking have become noticeably worse in recent years. The number of alcohol poisoning incidents climbed by nearly 112 percent between 2000 and 2009. Most disturbingly, such incidents rose 194 percent among people aged 20 to 25.

But tbh, Germany's drinking culture doesn't bother me, Ireland's does:
    http://alcoholireland.ie/alcohol-facts/alcohol-related-harm-facts-and-statistics/

I was a heavy drinker in my youth with a dramatic fall off in the last couple of years but I still occasionally drink and less occasionally get drunk. I'm not trying to attack anyone by saying we should consider looking at minimum pricing but I do think it's something worth considering because the drinking culture in Ireland is totally messed up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

I can't see anything changing with the drinking culture in Ireland, no matter what policies are implemented. Young people like to go out and get drunk. IMO, there's very little that will change that.

Most people (not all) start to drink less and less as they get older. The same with people who take drugs.

We're never going to become like Spain or Italy where there's far less drinking.

Yes I would have a problem with it, as it would the 6 cans I'd buy every few weeks would cost €12 instead of €6. How anyone can be in favour of a 100% markup is mind boggling.

IMO, the only reason minimum pricing is even being considered is because pubs still want to charge €4+/pint (I drink cider), it has bollock all to do with changing people's attitudes. But I guess that's an argument for another thread...

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭swiftman

turned the radio on now, andrew ''stoner'' maxwell is on

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Yes I would have a problem with it, as it would the 6 cans I'd buy every few weeks would cost €12 instead of €6. How anyone can be in favour of a 100% markup is mind boggling.

IMO, the only reason minimum pricing is even being considered is because pubs still want to charge €4+/pint (I drink cider), it has bollock all to do with changing people's attitudes. But I guess that's an argument for another thread...

Pubs can charge what they want, I don't care. That's not why I think a measure like this should be introduced. I'd be in favour of minimum pricing on health and social grounds, as mind boggling as you think that is. I guess we'll have to see if this approach works in Scotland with it's introduction of minimum pricing.

http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Topics/Health/Services/Alcohol/minimum-pricing

swiftman wrote: »
    turned the radio on now, andrew ''stoner'' maxwell is on

Tom Dunne has Andy Parsons (from Mock the Week) on atm.

Have to say, as beige and all as TD is, I'm listening to him more and more now because he comes across as a genuinely nice person and is far easier to listen to because of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

So rays packed his bags & headed to the airport. maybe he finally realised enda & fg are running the country.

neris wrote: »
    So rays packed his bags & headed to the airport. maybe he finally realised enda & fg are running the country.

The minute I heard Antons voice this morning turned off straight away, where is Ray?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

Following the governments action over night re IBRC FF legacy debt, Ray didn't have the balls to show up to work today.

I can only hope he's enacting his late late show promise and is packing his bags foreign bound

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

Did you see late late the other night?

They did a cringey spot about "dating" with a pack of overly eager 30 somethings near the end. It was topped off with a Blind date tribute which made me want to cry it was so painful.

It was pretty much the TV equivalent of something we have heard on D'arcy roughly ten thousand times.

I haven't the time or the effort but would someone please do us all the pleasure of emailing a large piece on this and send it to email bag. Would love to see if the team read it out, just for the sheer hypocrisy.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement