Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Ray D'Arcy Show Thread - Mod note Post # 1 Updated

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

Did you heare him talking to the guys from Lawv Hate(as he call it) "so what are you doin at the moment" sez ray. " I am in King Lear in the Abbey" sez she. "Oh Shakespeare?" for jaysus sake!!
    He the asks the guy who plays Elmo where he is from. "the city
    centre" sez Elmo, Ray sez, "so, you are yourself"............yes Ray, everyone in Dublin City is exactly the same as Elmo......and everyone from Kildare is a jockey.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,933 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Fair play to Ann gleeson she is a legend.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

What time was Ann on? Would love to listen to her but don't want to wade through 3 hours of D'Arcy when I'm in a relatively good mood for once. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 39,933 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    What time was Ann on? Would love to listen to her but don't want to wade through 3 hours of D'Arcy when I'm in a relatively good mood for once. :P

Between ten and eleven, more half ten ish but I wasn't looking at the clock.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

eisenberg1 wrote: »
    Did you heare him talking to the guys from Lawv Hate(as he call it) "so what are you doin at the moment" sez ray. " I am in King Lear in the Abbey" sez she. "Oh Shakespeare?" for jaysus sake!!
    He the asks the guy who plays Elmo where he is from. "the city
    centre" sez Elmo, Ray sez, "so, you are yourself"............yes Ray, everyone in Dublin City is exactly the same as Elmo......and everyone from Kildare is a jockey.

He was asking them that in relation to the characters they play on Love Hate.

• Advertisement

Claphappy, I must have mssed something, I got the distinct impression he was asking the actors, not the charecters where they from......the woman ( I cant recall her name) said she was from Finglas and the guy said city centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

Claphappy, I must have mssed something, I got the distinct impression he was asking the actors, not the charecters where they from......the woman ( I cant recall her name) said she was from Finglas and the guy said city centre.

Yes he was asking the actors where they were from, in relation to the accents they have to portray on the show.

Claphappy........I think you are missing the point. per Ray, "Elmo" is from the city centre, has a city centre accent, therefore he was "playing himself".........I dont remember this actors name, but have seen him in a few things, recently in a production of "The Plough and the Star" and believe me, he is not "playing himself " in Love /Hate, he is acting (very well). lets leave it at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,019 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Claphappy........I think you are missing the point. per Ray, "Elmo" is from the city centre, has a city centre accent, therefore he was "playing himself".........I dont remember this actors name, but have seen him in a few things, recently in a production of "The Plough and the Star" and believe me, he is not "playing himself " in Love /Hate, he is acting (very well). lets leave it at that.
    Elmo is probably the biggest actor in the show, wealth of experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Well done Ray, shoehorned the kids into that interview, keeping up his average.

• Advertisement

....and he's just asked Bernard Dunne how tall he is!! BINGO!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

Yes he was asking the actors where they were from, in relation to the accents they have to portray on the show.

Missing the point, he asked them where they were from... the actor and the character are from the same place so Ray ignorantly says the guy is 'playing himself'... stupid assumption in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,070 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I caught the first few minutes of the early discussion today with 3 women who have experienced panic attacks in a recent period of their lives.

The first woman to speak, (identifying herself as Niamh, a journalist) was clearly Niamh Lyons of the Irish (sic) Daily Mail, a face and voice familiar from many TV3 discussion programmes, often Vinnie B. On the TV Niamh comes across as a busy, confident and informed woman, and it was both brave and helpful of her to speak about instances of anxiety and panic in the past 10 years of her life, it will provide assurance and comfort to those who might feel they are suffering uniquely. Im looking forward to listening back to the rest of the item

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭joe6pack

I reckon Ray would make a good dictator.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,020 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

I was in the car listening this morning and Ray was discussing people who text when driving and how is p1sses him off.

Now I totall agree with him (and the women in SUVs texting is something that has also struck me). But I felt it was somewhat contradictory coming from a show that often reads out texts along the lines of "I'm driving from A to B and I just saw......." or "I'm a 6 ft 2", 20 stone trucker and I just cried at that. From Brian in the Big Rig".

Does Ray think that all the motorists/truckers who text his show pull into the side of the road safely or into a service station?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,019 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

BPKS wrote: »
    I was in the car listening this morning and Ray was discussing people who text when driving and how is p1sses him off.

Now I totall agree with him (and the women in SUVs texting is something that has also struck me). But I felt it was somewhat contradictory coming from a show that often reads out texts along the lines of "I'm driving from A to B and I just saw......." or "I'm a 6 ft 2", 20 stone trucker and I just cried at that. From Brian in the Big Rig".

Does Ray think that all the motorists/truckers who text his show pull into the side of the road safely or into a service station?
    jeeeaysus and considering there was a 6ft2 trucker in the dock today for manlaughter over this very issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭jimmyw

Larbre34 wrote: »
    I caught the first few minutes of the early discussion today with 3 women who have experienced panic attacks in a recent period of their lives.

The first woman to speak, (identifying herself as Niamh, a journalist) was clearly Niamh Lyons of the Irish (sic) Daily Mail, a face and voice familiar from many TV3 discussion programmes, often Vinnie B. On the TV Niamh comes across as a busy, confident and informed woman, and it was both brave and helpful of her to speak about instances of anxiety and panic in the past 10 years of her life, it will provide assurance and comfort to those who might feel they are suffering uniquely. Im looking forward to listening back to the rest of the item

Yeah I was thinking it was her alright. The second I heard her voice and Ray called her Niamh, I knew it was her.Hard to believe she would have such attacks.After all, she is on fairly regularly on various shows on both tv and radio .In fact she was on the VB show last night.

Us men really are no good with this kind of stuff, but girls have no issue with it.I used to have them I think on rare occasions.Fair play to them though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭max life

What happened to those two couples who went on a double date a couple of weeks ago. I was away so didnt hear how it went. Does anybody know what day it was on the show?

Ray had a jockey on the show this morning (Davy Russell I think).

He asked Davy if he had kids. Davy said he did, a little girl.

I'd say it took all the self restraint for Ray to move onto his next question without telling Davy that he too had a daughter who is 6.

The poor fella almost burst.

I'd say it took all the self restraint for Ray to move onto his next question without telling Davy that he too had a daughter who is 6.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭swiftman

ive sneaked in listening to ray cause nothing else on in the mornings. he has stopped talking about his kids unless he's asked and keeps it to the min.

what pissed me off was the quiz today

BPKS wrote: »

Same with the Eddie Izzard interview earlier. He was talking to Eddie about his plans to have kids, told him to have them while he still had the energy. He was about to expand on the point, no doubt talking about his own, but Eddie continued to talk over him. Ray missed his moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭fifi234ie

swiftman wrote: »
    what pissed me off was the quiz today

I hate those type of competitions, the questions are always easy for one side.
    Like today where's daniel craig from? easy enough answer
    but javier bardem? not everyone knows who he is, very unfair

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭fifi234ie

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Same with the Eddie Izzard interview earlier. He was talking to Eddie about his plans to have kids, told him to have them while he still had the energy. He was about to expand on the point, no doubt talking about his own, but Eddie continued to talk over him. Ray missed his moment.

He was itching to say it, but phew Eddie kept talking

fifi234ie wrote: »
    I hate those type of competitions, the questions are always easy for one side.
    Like today where's daniel craig from? easy enough answer
    but javier bardem? not everyone knows who he is, very unfair

i havent a clue who javier is.
    what pissed me off is that there is a rule that you need to be alone and no google. make things fair, usually who ever is on the phone is honest or there friend stays quiet if they help.
    this women today made no secret that her pregnant daughter was there, could hear her telling her the answer.
    the person on the other side sounded honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Dazzler0911

swiftman wrote: »
    i havent a clue who javier is.
    what pissed me off is that there is a rule that you need to be alone and no google. make things fair, usually who ever is on the phone is honest or there friend stays quiet if they help.
    this women today made no secret that her pregnant daughter was there, could hear her telling her the answer.
    the person on the other side sounded honest.

I was on the quiz yesterday. Got all 5 correct but so did the other girl. Went to the tie break. I knew the correct answer but she beat me to the buzzer. So sick.

I had no one helping me for the record :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

Bugs me that, not just on Rays show, where there are basic rules and one party observes them and the other clearly cheats but they still get to keep the prize.

i was at a school sports years ago and in the egg and spoon race one child clearly held the egg in his hand and just ran, the rest tried to do it right and the cheater gets the medal.

the trouble is if you say anything you are told its just a bit of fun and to relax, but if its just a bit of fun why have rules?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Shelflife wrote: »
    Bugs me that, not just on Rays show, where there are basic rules and one party observes them and the other clearly cheats but they still get to keep the prize.

i was at a school sports years ago and in the egg and spoon race one child clearly held the egg in his hand and just ran, the rest tried to do it right and the cheater gets the medal.

the trouble is if you say anything you are told its just a bit of fun and to relax, but if its just a bit of fun why have rules?

That must be the worst case of fraud I've ever heard of. Why didn't you ring the Gardai about it? And yes, some people are going to say relax and stop worrying but they are obviously sodomites with dodgy moral centres and BO.

i agree its not only the rays show but thats as clear i ever heard it.
    if your aloud a friend, can you have 5 or more, can they use google. where does it stop.
    not fair on the honest person on the other line

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

In fairness, it's specified before the quiz whether you can have someone help you or not. Tony Fenton always asks people on the 100 to 1 Quiz if they are alone etc.

Most of Ray D'Arcy's quizzes you can have people in the background shouting at you, but he won't leave it long enough for you to Google anything, he'll press you for an answer quicker than you can Google most times.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement