Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Ray D'Arcy Show Thread - Mod note Post # 1 Updated

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

6781 wrote: »
    Someone said here he reads this thread? Is he that vain? Also I'd find it hard to believe anyone would have a problem with gift grub doing a sketch on them but if he does that shows him up as an awful arse.

He mentions Joe Duffy a bit too, pulling the piss out of that show. But I find both shows very similar in a way. "We got a email in" reads out the rubbish email, and spends the next hour reading out rubbish texts about the email. I do wonder are a lot of those emails made up too.

he reads this thread?
    i didnt mean anything i said ray, your brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭JM Skipton

Just for a bit of balance, I still really enjoy the show despite its many faults. I think Ray is a "warts and all" type of presenter.
    He has had some poor interviews but in fairness he was not to blame in every case. I actually don't mind him talking about his kids (probably because I have kids myself) but I would imagine if you don't it would be quite annoying. He also says some things before he thinks which can be both infuriating and funny in equal measures. The "stop stop eject" situation has probably become part of his brand at this stage. As I have said previously there are no credible alternatives during this morning period so for the foreseeable future with the listenership figures he has he is here to stay.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,018 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

JM Skipton wrote: »
    Just for a bit of balance, I still really enjoy the show despite its many faults. I think Ray is a "warts and all" type of presenter.
    He has had some poor interviews but in fairness he was not to blame in every case. I actually don't mind him talking about his kids (probably because I have kids myself) but I would imagine if you don't it would be quite annoying. He also says some things before he thinks which can be both infuriating and funny in equal measures. The "stop stop eject" situation has probably become part of his brand at this stage. As I have said previously there are no credible alternatives during this morning period so for the foreseeable future with the listenership figures he has he is here to stay.
    that's a good point, if they replaced him with a standard, voice for radio Dj, who can work the equipment the show may well lose its appeal. They would have to aim quite high to replace him.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Bopidyboo wrote: »
    buster180 What kind of things was Ray Foley saying about Darcy??? Used to love the casual digs he'd make on his today fm show. He can probably get away with alot more on his new show. I never get to hear it.

JP was doing Feedback, and had a pop at D'Arcy for being old and grumpy, "which is supported by no evidence whatsoever, apart from his daily three hour show". He then played a mockup promo for the show which was basically Ray sighing and complaining. Ray then started on about how D'Arcy would blame him for JP mocking him. Then said in sarcastic voice "I always found D'Arcy was a sweet, affable, approachable, easy going, relaxed individual." :P

It really doesn't translate that well in text, but it's about 1:05:40 into Friday's podcast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

JM Skipton wrote: »

this i agree with.i bitch and moan about him but i still listen to him because there isnt much else worth listening to.

• Advertisement

Plenty of talk show presenters have kids but don't feel the need to sicken the nation talking about them constantly. I'm a mother too and dont prattle on about my kid to people because guess what, nobody cares. I Also don't think I'm the only person in the world with a child- it's just so obnoxious.

Also these morons that txt in with " my two year old is dancing round the kitchen" I want to scream, who actually gives a crap? He was arrogant before his kids arrived but now he so self indulgent and unbelievably unbearable, Jesus I wish he'd just piss off for good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭rossit

Plenty of talk show presenters have kids but don't feel the need to sicken the nation talking about them constantly. I'm a mother too and dont prattle on about my kid to people because guess what, nobody cares. I Also don't think I'm the only person in the world with a child- it's just so obnoxious.

Also these morons that txt in with " my two year old is dancing round the kitchen" I want to scream, who actually gives a crap? He was arrogant before his kids arrived but now he so self indulgent and unbelievably unbearable, Jesus I wish he'd just piss off for good.

get a grip its a talk show listen to something else . lots of other things to worry about

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭swiftman

rossit wrote: »
    get a grip its a talk show listen to something else . lots of other thing to wory abut

Like your spelling!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

get a grip its a talk show listen to something else . lots of other thing to wory abut

Did you just come into an opinion thread to tell people not to give their opinions?

I don't know how many times I have to state on this thread that I have no bloody choice because it is on in my workplace, and by the way you don't know me or the " lots of other things to worry about" but I will say that Ray insults my ethics and beliefs on an almost daily basis, so no, I won't get a grip thank you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭rossit

Did you just come into an opinion thread to tell people not to give their opinions?
    i may have

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

When was that Kevin Doyle interview on ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

Arsey managed to pis5 off the Strypes by saying they had to be in bed by 11.
    Then started this ****e about Tbe Blur-Blur, Well which is it lads.

Reply, It Doesn't matter!

Then goes on to say Lemmy has a heart condition while doing his Butthead snigger.
    The young lad from the Strypes says," I don't think thats funny". BOOM!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

Radio5 wrote: »
    To be fair to Ray, a lot of parents go on like they are the first ones in history to ever have had children. :P And yes,to state the obvious, I know, not too many of them have a show on a national station where they can broadcast their views on parenthood!!!

But you can tell other people to shut the X%&# up about their kids and they might take it on board.................on top of that he acts the expert about kids, i.e how take care of them, as in "oh I would not do that with mine" or " I would not let them eat/watch/play that" etc

• Registered Users Posts: 10,751 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

at the very start of the Ray character, there was words...although I got the impression Ian Dempsey didn't give a sh1t!!
    I'm pretty sure relations between Dempsey and D'Arcy are frosty enough at best, I think it goes back to when Dempsey had his airtime cut by one hour to make way for Ray's expanded show.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

swiftman wrote: »
    Like your spelling!

Maybe Rossit is really RD??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

padd b1975 wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure relations between Dempsey and D'Arcy are frosty enough at best, I think it goes back to when Dempsey had his airtime cut by one hour to make way for Ray's expanded show.

Yes but his show was only increased by 15 mins, as it used to run from 10am to 12.45. At the time they were competing with Gerry Ryan and felt they were missing out on that first hour of listenership. IIRC Dempsey said that he felt his morning show was stretched out a bit.

Arsey managed to pis5 off the Strypes by saying they had to be in bed by 11.
    Then started this ****e about Tbe Blur-Blur, Well which is it lads.

Reply, It Doesn't matter!

Then goes on to say Lemmy has a heart condition while doing his Butthead snigger.
    The young lad from the Strypes says," I don't think thats funny". BOOM!

Just listened back to that, cringe, he didnt really interview them he just came out with statements like "Elton John has had good things to say about you hasnt he?"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

So Kevin Doyle is the new Jerry Seinfeld, did the Reg D. Hunter interview end badly as well? Ray does a good job picking his enemies, two comedy genius' and the nicest guy ever to play for Ireland.

It'd be great if he did read this but I'd doubt it as his ego would force him to create an account and defend himself anonymously, D'arcy defenders are few and far between around here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

threein99 wrote: »
    Just listened back to that, cringe, he didnt really interview them he just came out with statements like "Elton John has had good things to say about you hasnt he?"

When was this interview, I really wanna listen to him getting schooled by a 15 year old from Cavan.

• Advertisement

When was this interview, I really wanna listen to him getting schooled by a 15 year old from Cavan.

It was on this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

I just happened to hear him setting up this really long intro for The XX today at about half 11. He started by talking about Elvis Costelloe and ZZ Top playing gigs in Cork, then said something along the lines of "they are bands/acts playing in Cork..here's a band who played in Dublin last night"....Click...."The Ray Foley Show..."

Cue Ray humming and hawing saying it's all well and good for Mairead on the breakfast show because she has people who do that for her. If it's that hard then every 2 bit DJ shouldn't be able to play a tune while wishing Mary a happy 21st birthday at the Disco Bar.

between 10.30 and 11.

as he said, ''we dont usually have bands on at this hour, its usually to finish the show at 12 but these guys have to go home and go to bed haahaha, ah did you hear that to bed haha''.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,589 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

jesus this "interview" with alan shatter is disgraceful.....

ray comes across as being very, very ignorant of the facts and cant come out with anything other than the generic "but its not good enough".....

if you are going to interview someone, let them speak FFS

sydthebeat wrote: »

ray comes across as being very, very ignorant of the facts and cant come out with anything other than the generic "but its not good enough".....

going reading a sex scene in a book to this interview is very weird.

i actually agree with Ray now and him shouting at him, Alan is dodging the questions, if Ray keeps giving his idea, maybe, just maybe the TD might cop on.

We live so back in time and people are afraid of change, the goverment are afraid they will annoy to many people.

just look what happened in hospital in galway, alot more will come from that through the courts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭allgirlz

sydthebeat wrote: »

Am absolutely cringeing for him, it is a disgrace. Where is his producer to rein him in?? Shouting and ranting incoherently and being actively rude, he should get a call into his boss's office for this one, the man is an idfiot and he does a disservice to everyone who is actually campaigning in this area.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

I really dislike Rays muddled up roaring, balling and swearing at an obviously more intelligent man than himself. However good on ya Ray for pushing about why a referendum wasn't called. Legislating for a referendum that was held twenty years ago is not really something to be proud of for a government. We would all have been proud of you minister if you had upon taking office, called a new referendum on abortion and legislating for that referendum within the lifetime of this government. We'd all be happy with that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

swiftman wrote: »
    i actually agree with Ray now and him shouting at him, Alan is dodging the questions, if Ray keeps giving his idea, maybe, just maybe the TD might cop on.

Shouting is a sign of a bad interviewer, he's laughable and any politician will know that he's going to have an easy time of it when the interviewer goes off on one.

But Darcy thinks the sign of a good interviewer is to shout over and show a bit of faux indignation. The problem is lots of people, and Ray will read them out, will be texting in saying well done Ray, that was a great interview and the usual nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

Ray obviously thinks the minister staying on to answer listeners' questions is more important than a human trafficking bill!

Jumped up little bollox.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭mountain

When the guest has to ask Ray to "stop shouting" surely that is the time for someone who is running the station to take Ray in for a few words of advice.

Interview with Shatter is a disgrace, should be played to all students who wish to have a career in radio, as an example of how not to conduct yourself as a professional presenter.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement