Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Ray D'Arcy Show Thread - Mod note Post # 1 Updated

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,018 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Oh I 100% agree with this.

Let's work with the figures anseo:

John Murray is up 3,000 listeners.
    Pat Kenny has shown no change.
    Ryan Tubridy is down 16,000 listeners.
    Colm Hayes is down 2,000 listeners.
    Tom Dunne is up 6,000 listeners.

So you're talking about a maximum of 9,000 of D'Arcy's former listeners having switched to a National competitor.

That leaves (11,000 + 16,000 + 2,000 =) 29,000 listeners to the mid-morning slot unaccounted for.

Now, undoubtedly some, if not most, of these have switched to local radio, but I think it's a fair assumption to make that a certain percentage of those may just have stopped listening to radio altogether.

It should also be noted that radio listenership overall is down 1%, and National Radio Listenership is down 2% overall. But of course that's overall so the figure has the potential to be higher in the 9-12 timeslot.

jeeeaysus i've been reading last years figures....tubs down 16,000??? ouch!

eisenberg1 wrote: »
    Ray must be going on a wild stag to Prague.....

I bucken doubt it..................he was in bed before then last night.

Picture the scene in a Lap Dance club in Prague

RD: Excuse me miss, that's not the correct way to swing round a pole, should be fist over fist, and ye will catch yer death in that outfit.Will, this was a bad idea....Will...............will?"

]

"i used to do a bit of pole dancing back in kidayur"

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Oh I 100% agree with this.

Let's work with the figures anseo:

John Murray is up 3,000 listeners.
    Pat Kenny has shown no change.
    Ryan Tubridy is down 16,000 listeners.
    Colm Hayes is down 2,000 listeners.
    Tom Dunne is up 6,000 listeners.

So you're talking about a maximum of 9,000 of D'Arcy's former listeners having switched to a National competitor.

That leaves (11,000 + 16,000 + 2,000 =) 29,000 listeners to the mid-morning slot unaccounted for.

Now, undoubtedly some, if not most, of these have switched to local radio, but I think it's a fair assumption to make that a certain percentage of those may just have stopped listening to radio altogether.

It should also be noted that radio listenership overall is down 1%, and National Radio Listenership is down 2% overall. But of course that's overall so the figure has the potential to be higher in the 9-12 timeslot.

Or have emigrated.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,915 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

They've made a tshirt with stop, stop, eject on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Left Back on the Bench

Itssoeasy wrote: »

they shouldve made one with "stop,stop you're hurting my ears"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭heyheyhey1982

Anyone can actually do Matt Coopers job no problem. But Jesus Christ when he does TRDS its painful. His first comment things morning was such a try hard comment.

On another note Where is John Murray? He up in listnership but Mirram had been running the show for weeks.

I actually get very bored with Darcys inability to use his equipment. I still find it hard to belive this is the same man I idolised on the den. Just a bitter man.

Anyone can actually do Matt Coopers job no problem. But Jesus Christ when he does TRDS its painful. His first comment things morning was such a try hard comment.

Ya what now?!

Itssoeasy wrote: »

So I guess that means the joke is officially over!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭heyheyhey1982

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Ya what now?!
    Stupid auto correct. ''Anton can do Matt Coopers job'' but he can't do the ray d'arcy show as he tries way to hard. Forces himself to be funny.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,589 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Stupid auto correct. ''Anton can do Matt Coopers job'' but he can't do the ray d'arcy show as he tries way to hard. Forces himself to be funny.

Nope, anton is actually good doing the lighter stuff. Much better interviewer too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

He asked Alex James if he drank wine with his cheese. Top quality research there. Just couldn't believe it.

I thought it was an appropriate question, talking to a guy who makes cheese and is a connoisseur of cheese, I think he would know what is good to drink while eating it. As it turned out he recommended beer with cheese. Interesting reply and I will try it next time myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

I don't think anyone has ever done the Ray D'arcy show better than Tom Dunne. Saying that I don't mind Anton.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

Enjoying Anton, so much more relaxed. The more i hear the more i think Ray is too anal with a lot of subjects.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

I don't think anyone has ever done the Ray D'arcy show better than Tom Dunne. Saying that I don't mind Anton.

Glad to see standards have not dropped while RD is away....an interview with an Octagon/ring girl....................WOW.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

eisenberg1 wrote: »
    Glad to see standards have not dropped while RD is away....an interview with an Octagon/ring girl....................WOW.

What would be of a better standard? An interview with a TD maybe? The show is criticised for not having enough light-entertainment. As much as I've got the digs in on Ray on boards, I'm beginning to think they can't win either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

Jason Todd wrote: »
    What would be of a better standard? An interview with a TD maybe? The show is criticised for not having enough light-entertainment. As much as I've got the digs in on Ray on boards, I'm beginning to think they can't win either way.

Bad as RD is, it's the whole format that needs looking at....no matter who sits in for him. Light entertainment is one thing.....but an interview with some unknown who wanders around a ring holding up numbers? c'mon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭JM Skipton

Because I struggle with the insufferable blandness that is Anton Savage, I have been forced to try to listen to alternatives this week in the 9-12 slot. Now I know it has been said before but Ray D'Arcy really does not have a credible competitor. Ray Foley is ok up to 10am but frankly you kind of have to be in the humour for him after that nothing.Second Captains podcasts for the rest of the week for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

JM Skipton wrote: »
    Because I struggle with the insufferable blandness that is Anton Savage, I have been forced to try to listen to alternatives this week in the 9-12 slot. Now I know it has been said before but Ray D'Arcy really does not have a credible competitor. Ray Foley is ok up to 10am but frankly you kind of have to be in the humour for him after that nothing.Second Captains podcasts for the rest of the week for me.

Tom Dunne is excellent, he's able to interview people without talking about himself or his kids, and he's able to work his equipment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

threein99 wrote: »
    Tom Dunne is excellent, he's able to interview people without talking about himself or his kids, and he's able to work his equipment.

Yep two kids:D

But i don't think he played a bit of rugby.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

If Tom was allowed to play more music the show could really challenge RD. I think that as its a talk show they are only allowed so many songs per hour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭JM Skipton

I really like Tom Dunne in that I'd say he would be great to go out for a few pints with, however I have tried listening to his show and I have nearly nodded off a couple of times. I would still prefer the Ray D'Arcy show.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,461 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Ray really sets the bar high for his competitors doesn't he?:p

Although Tom did mention his daughter this morning...

Ray really sets the bar high for his competitors doesn't he?:p

Although Tom did mention his daughter this morning...

haha I know but hes so much better, a few weeks back Tom had people who use prostitutes on then people who used to be prostitutes, and interviewed them all the same way, no judging long sighs, completely impartial as it should be.

Yeah I think he does mention his kids occasionally but only in the right context.

JM Skipton wrote: »
    I really like Tom Dunne in that I'd say he would be great to go out for a few pints with, however I have tried listening to his show and I have nearly nodded off a couple of times. I would still prefer the Ray D'Arcy show.

I really like his laid back style, doesn't take himself too seriously either

Interesting developments on Newstalk with Pat Kenny taking Tom Dunne's slot, does that mean Ray's job could be threatened by Tom?
    Pat Kenny has joined @Newstalkfm. His new show airs weekdays from Monday September 2nd, 10am - 12.30pm

• Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

Interesting developments on Newstalk with Pat Kenny taking Tom Dunne's slot, does that mean Ray's job could be threatened by Tom?

Hopefully. Say a few prayers folks.

:mad: Can't believe that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

I dont think Tom would manage to get Ray's JNLR figures in fairness to him. Although, with all the hoopla, I wonder will Pat Kenny take a few more listeners from Ray.

Jason Todd wrote: »
    I dont think Tom would manage to get Ray's JNLR figures in fairness to him. Although, with all the hoopla, I wonder will Pat Kenny take a few more listeners from Ray.

Doubt it, difference audience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,020 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Pat might target Rays audience.

I can just hear Pat now reading the depressing bits from the morning papers, doing a blind date segment, interviewing Tommy Tiernan/Maeve Higgins/Andrew Maxwell/that eejit from Offfaly, doing a 30 second quiz where you have to figure out which one of 3 items is unrelated to the other 2, doing youtube skits of popular TV dramas, Christmas Pantos and so on.

Go for it Pat.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement