Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Ray D'Arcy Show Thread - Mod note Post # 1 Updated

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Dargull

Excellent interview with Pat Rabbitte there by Anton. I dread to think what it would've been like with Ray in the chair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭heyheyhey1982

Dargull wrote: »
    Excellent interview with Pat Rabbitte there by Anton. I dread to think what it would've been like with Ray in the chair.

He'd be sighing and tutting and trying to come across Paxman like . then he'd get the violin out and make himself out to be one of the little people struggling to meet his mortgage. Then he'd say he was going to a break and press the wrong buttons and a song would play. Real Pro our Ray is....

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Les Ferdinand

http://indo.ie/okGvM

RTE launching an investigation?
    When are Today FM going to investigate Ray's 6 or 7 mistakes a day?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

http://indo.ie/okGvM

RTE launching an investigation?
    When are Today FM going to investigate Ray's 6 or 7 mistakes a day?

Because his job isn't dependent on his competence with his equipment, it's dependent on his personality being able to attract listeners. He could break every piece of equipment in the place and still keep his job if his listenership figures stay good.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

He'd be sighing and tutting and trying to come across Paxman like . then he'd get the violin out and make himself out to be one of the little people struggling to meet his mortgage. Then he'd say he was going to a break and press the wrong buttons and a song would play. Real Pro our Ray is....

:DDid you guys not get the memo from head office last week......you have to be nice to RD

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

eisenberg1 wrote: »
    :DDid you guys not get the memo from head office last week......you have to be nice to RD

It had nothing to do with valid criticism of the show and you know it. People were being arseholes about his private life and there was no need for it.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Splinter

Lets not go back to this folks,

keep it on topic and please don't question Moderators on topic. IF you have an issue, drop us a PM or take it to the Feedback thread

Splinter

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭RachaelVO

Ah here, that wasn't what was said at all. There were some fairly nasty comments regarding his kids and his now wife. They were totally uncalled for, and everyone was asked to refrain to attacking his personal life, and keep comments to the show, not unreasonable considering some of the deleted comments.

I do realise that he can be a bit sanctimonious, and I get that not everyone likes listening to him, but attacking his family isn't necessary. Slagging off Stop, Stop Eject and the sighes and what is on the show is.

It had nothing to do with valid criticism of the show and you know it. People were being arseholes about his private life and there was no need for it.

My reply was not addressed to you Kunst Nugget, and I did any thing about RD's personal life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭TBP

Because his job isn't dependent on his competence with his equipment, it's dependent on his personality being able to attract listeners. He could break every piece of equipment in the place and still keep his job if his listenership figures stay good.

What do you mean could? He has every piece of equipment in the place broke in the last 12 months or so. Eject buttons, microphones, door handles poor aul' Will's heart... you name it Ray's made bits of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

Again, great lighthearted interview with Derek Landy today, had me in stiches. Anton should get the job full time and let Ray do stand in, at least the whole Stop stop eject thing would be understandable then.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭JM Skipton

Again, great lighthearted interview with Derek Landy today, had me in stiches. Anton should get the job full time and let Ray do stand in, at least the whole Stop stop eject thing would be understandable then.

Problem is Today FM would probably not agree with you, I would imagine there are numerous people like myself that don't listen to The Ray D'Arcy Show when Ray is off. I have no proof but I suspect that listenership would drop considerably when Anton is on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

Feckit, this thread has gone to ****, what's with all the goodwill? My mother always told me that when on the internet if you haven't something bad to say about somebody then you should say nothing at all.

I don't care about his mistakes with the studio gear, I don't care about his wife or kids, I care that he's a sanctimonious tosser who has zero respect for anyone who doesn't share his narrow worldview, he's not slow to air his negative judgements on others(Healy-Rae, Seinfeld etc),

I don't mind Jenny to be honest, I'd prefer to listen to her than Mairead anyway.... but her wedding dress was awful.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,020 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

JM Skipton wrote: »
    Problem is Today FM would probably not agree with you, I would imagine there are numerous people like myself that don't listen to The Ray D'Arcy Show when Ray is off. I have no proof but I suspect that listenership would drop considerably when Anton is on

I actually don't mind Anton - I think the show is fresher when he's on it and the rest of the team seem more comfortable with him than Ray. Its like Darcy slowly wore them down over the years but when he's off they can get back to being themselves again.

That said, maybe its a case of Anton being acceptable in small doses. It he did the show full time I'd probably get sick of him too:(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭JM Skipton

BPKS wrote: »
    I actually don't mind Anton - I think the show is fresher when he's on it and the rest of the team seem more comfortable with him than Ray. Its like Darcy slowly wore them down over the years but when he's off they can get back to being themselves again.

That said, maybe its a case of Anton being acceptable in small doses. It he did the show full time I'd probably get sick of him too:(

Nail on head!

And Anton has his Stop Stop Eject moment... LOVE IT!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

I enjoyed the perfume segment today. I know I normally hate stuff that can't be conveyed well on the radio (in this case smell) but the sound of Anton taking a sniff and then audibly recoiling was hilarious. :P

I prefer Anton to D'Arcy for one reason and one reason only: Anton. Sounds. Happy.

He sounds like he genuinely enjoys doing the show, has a laugh with almost everything, and doesn't preach. He's mostly brilliant at the lite stuff and interviews, and passable at the heavy stuff. Whereas Ray is mostly brilliant at the lite stuff, and mostly awful with interviews and heavy stuff.

Now, can I say I wouldn't get sick of him if he was on day in day out for a year? No, but boy would I love to have the opportunity to find out. :o

Anyway, anyone know what song was played just before the Odd-One-Out Quiz at 10:20-ish? Anton came back on and said it like 80's glamrock.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

Her name was Lissie song called further away. Very Stevie Nicks sounding.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Her name was Lissie song called further away. Very Stevie Nicks sounding.

Nice one. Yeah, very, VERY Stevie Nicks alright. Good song though.

Feckit, this thread has gone to ****, what's with all the goodwill? My mother always told me that when on the internet if you haven't something bad to say about somebody then you should say nothing at all.

I don't care about his mistakes with the studio gear, I don't care about his wife or kids, I care that he's a sanctimonious tosser who has zero respect for anyone who doesn't share his narrow worldview, he's not slow to air his negative judgements on others(Healy-Rae, Seinfeld etc),

I don't mind Jenny to be honest, I'd prefer to listen to her than Mairead anyway.... but her wedding dress was awful.:eek:

Let me just make this crystal clear, and this is where your mother and I will differ in opinions. This is not a place for you to come and abuse people for their life choices. This is not a thread for you to comment on someone's wedding dress. Perhaps another forum may suit you better if this is where your opinions lie.

This thread and others in the radio forum, unless stated otherwise, are for discussing the shows themselves. e.g. The Ray D'Arcy Show Thread, not the "All things which may in some way be related to something that was once discussed on the Ray D'Arcy Show Thread".

Either keep it on topic, or a further heavier hand will be introduced. Anyone with further thoughts/concerns or other, can PM myself, or any other moderators or even use the topic in Feedback about this thread. Do not post it here.

Now, as you were

Splinter

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭heyheyhey1982

Splinter wrote: »
    This is a thread for you to comment on someone's wedding derss

Splinter]

I'm confused? Its ok to comment on her dress?

If so. .... it was terrible

I'm confused? Its ok to comment on her dress?

If so. .... it was terrible
    Typo. missed a "not" :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Anton making Ray Darcey look like a pro!
    Odd one out quiz he played music instead of clock!
    Talking too Samanta Mumba and said back after the break and played a song instead of adds and managed too restart the song twice before getting the adds on!
    Went too the news with Juilet and it was the fela Gareth I think his name is!

And it's only 60 mins in!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭Poochie05

Also did anyone hear Anton referring to Breaking Bad and Orange is the New Black as American sit-coms during the odd one out quiz yesterday!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭LeakyGee

To be fair on Anton - He NEVER did the full desk on his own, he always had a Tech Op with him.

The few mistakes he made he ripped the p*ss out of himself rather than fumble and panic

He's a brilliant fill in. But remember, D'arcy & team built that show to what it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Was that Anton's first time doing the desk? Ah well thats understandable so

Poochie05 wrote: »
    Also did anyone hear Anton referring to Breaking Bad and Orange is the New Black as American sit-coms during the odd one out quiz yesterday!:D

Really? Glad to see he has his finger on the TV pulse........I would expect that from RD, am surprised at Anton.

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Was that Anton's first time doing the desk? Ah well thats understandable so

I didn't know that either... I still found it quiet endearing! I'm liking Anton on in the mornings more and more I have to admit!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭Poochie05

Really? Glad to see he has his finger on the TV pulse........I would expect that from RD, am surprised at Anton.

Well in his defence, it may have been written on the answer sheet in front of him as it was when he was going over what the caller got right and wrong...

• Advertisement

Poochie05 wrote: »
    Well in his defence, it may have been written on the answer sheet in front of him as it was when he was going over what the caller got right and wrong...

Agreed....:D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement