Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Ray D'Arcy Show Thread - Mod note Post # 1 Updated

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Michael Weston

Gibbonw2 wrote: »
    'great'? i said 'good'. And yes, i think hes a very rounded interviewer tbh. He can be patronising (like all light interviewers) but he does his research and has a good all round knowledge on a vast array of areas. I do see his limitations, dont get me wrong, among them his ego and his tendency to be judgemental and that constant sighing but he doesnt feign interest with the interviewee and allows them to tell their story. A lot worse out there in my opinion. Can you name a few interviewers doing a similar show to Darcy who are vastly superior?

In ninety nine percent of the interviews I've heard him do he has been fantastically unprepared and under researched , as for rounded he constantly interrupts guests to force his opinion on them and if he disagrees with the person, it just results in a series of snorts or condescending sighs! The man doesn't know how to be impartial, for comparison take Ryan Tubridy , Matt Cooper or even Pat Kenny. Do you seriously believe he's at their standard when conducting serious interviews?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭Gibbonw2

Is there a 'standard' though and who judges it?! I never claimed that he was a great interviewer, that was you misquoting me. I said he was 'good' at what he does as his show covers a whole lot more than interviewing. You cannot compare the 4 interviewers. Ever listen to tubridy conduct a sports interview or Kenny interview someone in the entertainment world (remember that Pete Doherty interview). As for Cooper, to say he is impartial is serious misjudgement on your behalf! Ive even had the opportunity to work with matt when he was editor of the Tribune and while a very nice, competent and intelligent both as a man and a professional he wasnt impartial in his journalistic standards either. He also doesnt interview the wide array of people darcy does and his show is aimed at a much diffent demographic, like Kennys. I fear this is a thread aimed solely at bashing darcy which is ironic in itself as i only opened it to write my own criticism about his ridiculous clearly fake applauding of jason byrnes new show. But the irony is that ye lot still listen to him. I can understand anyone rightfully criticising the ineptitude our state broadcaster and its 'stars' show, as we as taxpayers contribute to it. But today fm is a private enterprise and its revenue and hence, darcys wages are driven by advertisement/sponsors which are driven of course by listnership. You have both Tubridy and Kenny to listen to in similar time slot now so dont listen.

Is there a 'standard' though and who judges it?! I never claimed that he was a great interviewer, that was you misquoting me. I said he was 'good' at what he does as his shows ahole lot more than interviewing. You cannot compare the 4 interviewers. Ever listen to tubridy conduct a sports interview or Kenny interview someone in the entertainment world (remember that Pete Doherty interview). As for Cooper, to say he is impartial is serious misjudgement on your behalf! Ive even had the opportunity to work with matt when he was editor of the Tribune and while a very nice, competent and intelligent both as a man and a professional he wasnt impartial in his journalistic standards either. He also doesnt interview the wide array of people darcy does and his show is aimed at a much diffent demographic, like Kennys. I fear this is a thread aimed solely at bashing darcy which is ironic in itself as i only opened it to write my own criticism about his ridiculous clearly fake applauding of jason byrnes new show. But the irony is that ye lot still listen to him. I can understand anyone rightfully criticising the ineptitude our state broadcaster and its 'stars' show, as we as taxpayers contribute to it. But today fm is a private enterprise and its revenue and hence, darcys wages are driven by advertisement/sponsors which are driven of course by listnership. You have both Tubridy and Kenny to listen to in similar time slot now so dont listen.

I couldn't disagree more, while you point out Tubridy may not excel at sports interviews at least he allows flow to the conversation, Ray fills in his interviews with HIS opinion followed promptly by, isn't that right Yeah? There is no certain type of person that Ray can say is his forte when interviewing, as I find him equally appalling with everyone. However I have to say your post is extremely well written and like everyone here, you're entitled to your opinion and I respect that.

[quote= You have both Tubridy and Kenny to listen to in similar time slot now so dont listen.[/quote]

Just to also point out, I don't have choice in this matter it's a workplace thing!

Of course, its all opinions. I dont listen to Darcy regularly anymore as i find him boring and non informative but his show is a success so dont you think that maybe your opinion, while meritable, isnt very objective. Try listening to tubridys childish self proclaimed inner geek day to day for 3 hours and i guarantee you you would be opening a thread for him. Also, if you are comparing his tv interviews to darcys radio interviews, its hardly a realistic comparison. Different mediums, different dynamics and importantly different research levels, both in terms of time to develop and amount of help gathering. Yes, i agree tubridys interviewing skills are a lot more tuned than darcys but his personality and giddiness is very irritable and im sure his guests find that also. Maybe the appeal of Darcy is that he is opinionated. Sure its a bit of a faux pas in interviewing but it makes him distinct in a way. Also, have a look at tubridys ever declining listnership compared to Darcys. A very democratic and productive workplace it seems! Tune into your main man tubs and break the tuning dial maybe!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,018 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Enjoyed Ray this morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭TBP

Is there a 'standard' though and who judges it?! I never claimed that he was a great interviewer, that was you misquoting me. I said he was 'good' at what he does as his show covers a whole lot more than interviewing. You cannot compare the 4 interviewers. Ever listen to tubridy conduct a sports interview or Kenny interview someone in the entertainment world (remember that Pete Doherty interview). As for Cooper, to say he is impartial is serious misjudgement on your behalf! Ive even had the opportunity to work with matt when he was editor of the Tribune and while a very nice, competent and intelligent both as a man and a professional he wasnt impartial in his journalistic standards either. He also doesnt interview the wide array of people darcy does and his show is aimed at a much diffent demographic, like Kennys. I fear this is a thread aimed solely at bashing darcy which is ironic in itself as i only opened it to write my own criticism about his ridiculous clearly fake applauding of jason byrnes new show. But the irony is that ye lot still listen to him. I can understand anyone rightfully criticising the ineptitude our state broadcaster and its 'stars' show, as we as taxpayers contribute to it. But today fm is a private enterprise and its revenue and hence, darcys wages are driven by advertisement/sponsors which are driven of course by listnership. You have both Tubridy and Kenny to listen to in similar time slot now so dont listen.

When it comes to interviews I don't think I ever cringed as much the days I was listening to Ray interview Kevin Doyle (sportsman) and JesseJ (singer/celebrity). The man hadn't a clue and came out with a few whoppers as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

Did he just say "She likes it a bit floppy lads" to Rachel Allen..............and than a "sorry bout that"

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

eisenberg1 wrote: »
    Did he just say "She likes it a bit floppy lads" to Rachel Allen..............and than a "sorry bout that"

In fairness to him, it was just a bit of banter which she took in good spirit.
    The chap can't do right for doing wrong.

BaZmO* wrote: »
    In fairness to him, it was just a bit of banter which she took in good spirit.
    The chap can't do right for doing wrong.

And to read out a text from a "Listener" which went to describe her as MILF. You would be happy if your wife/sister/mother was invited on to discuss cooking and this is how he goes on?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

And to read out a text from a "Listener" which went to describe her as MILF. You would be happy if your wife/sister/mother was invited on to discuss cooking and this is how he goes on?

Won't somebody please think of the children!! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Won't somebody please think of the children!! :rolleyes:

Tbf, if someone came up to me and said my missus was a MILF, I'd high five time.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,018 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

i'd say the Allens would take that as a compliment!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭JM Skipton

Tbf, if someone came up to me and said my missus was a MILF, I'd high five time.
    she is;):D

I just think its hilarious how people who dislike Darcy listen to the show and then come on the thread to complain! Some blame 'workplace' etc but i guarantee you the vast majority do on their own free will. You know who you are anyway! Id listen to the show occasionally because i realise hes grand in small doses. The show needs a revamp, but its clear today fm and its sponsors are afraid to implement that, given his listnership. Hes almost evolving into the G Ryan standards of just turning up and rolling the mike. I do maintain he is a smart man with a good knowledge on a wide array of subjects and he can be both serious and lighthearted to suit the tone of the show/interview. If you are doing the same job day in day out for that long, your standards and motivation is sure to drop but who can blame him for staying there. I guarantee you RTE would have him in a heartbeat. Anyway keep listening and complaining abovt him! Its great for your mental health! Ha!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭RachaelVO

I just think its hilarious how people who dislike Darcy listen to the show and then come on the thread to complain! Some blame 'workplace' etc but i guarantee you the vast majority do on their own free will. You know who you are anyway! Id listen to the show occasionally because i realise hes grand in small doses. The show needs a revamp, but its clear today fm and its sponsors are afraid to implement that, given his listnership. Hes almost evolving into the G Ryan standards of just turning up and rolling the mike. I do maintain he is a smart man with a good knowledge on a wide array of subjects and he can be both serious and lighthearted to suit the tone of the show/interview. If you are doing the same job day in day out for that long, your standards and motivation is sure to drop but who can blame him for staying there. I guarantee you RTE would have him in a heartbeat. Anyway keep listening and complaining abovt him! Its great for your mental health! Ha!

I think I'm right in saying that when GR died they did offer him the job, and he asked if he could take his team with him and RTE refused, so he stayed put. That could well be an urban legend (of sorts), but I do think it happened, I think I remember reading it somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭mr bungle.

just heard that john spillane "song",i can't believe a national radio station would play that bull!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

Would you have a similar complaint about a national radio station playing justin Bieber or some xfactor tat? Somehow I doubt it.

Art is subjective. Personally I kinda like the song.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

What's the song?

Deedsie wrote: »
    Would you have a similar complaint about a national radio station playing justin Bieber or some xfactor tat? Somehow I doubt it.

I would if its on RD Show, not if its on 2FM or similar (then its deserved) IMO neither of the above's work could be called art.

• Advertisement

I would if its on RD Show, not if its on 2FM or similar (then its deserved) IMO neither of the above's work could be called art.

Ray Darcy has regularly played 1Direction and has had jedward and Mary from xfactor on many times and I have never heard a peep out of anyone in comparison to the abuse John Spillane's song has received. Not to mention the Eurovision torture every year. John Spillane is actually a really talented musician and I like hearing him on the national radio.

Someone with an accent getting his song played on a national radio station... The horror

Deedsie wrote: »

i don't mind some of his tunes,but this one makes me laugh out loud,everyone to their own i guess

Neeson wrote: »
    What's the song?

the ferry arms or something like that

mr bungle. wrote: »
    i don't mind some of his tunes,but this one makes me laugh out loud,everyone to their own i guess

I agree, each to their own... We all have diverse tastes thankfully. However I don't think they "shouldn't be played on national airwaves" idea is fair at all. It sort of borders on censorship of artistic freedom of expression. Do you want every song to be in the same vein? Variety is the key and the beauty of radio. If you want control of the music, stick on an MP3 player.

It's the DJ's call what is suitable to play to his or her audience!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

It's a comedy song, I really like John Spillane and think he's a brilliant songwriter but I will skip that particular track when I'm listening to the record. I'm sure the people of Passage West think it's brilliant. Maybe Ray D'arcy isn't doing him any favours if that's the song that he's decided to put on his playlist. People laugh at Spillane because he sings in a strong Cork accent but some of his songs are incredibly beautiful, I'm thinking "Rock to cling to", Gortatogart, Cherry trees, magic nights, princes street. I could go on, lots of people don't like folk music and that's fair enough. It wouldn't normally be my cup of tea but I went to see him one night about 6 or 7 years ago and I was blown away, he's a great performer, very funny although he tends to repeat the same gags after you've seen him a few times. One thing is for sure and that is that he is not an idiot or "touched" or whatever. Christy Hennessy received similar criticism, lots of people are interested in that type of music, the demographic for the Ray D'arcy show would surely have wide ranging musical interests. It's a pointless exercise I know but I would recommend anyone to see him live if you ever get the chance, failing that listen to some other tracks than the comedy ones which often receive the most airplay.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

Wasn't Christy touched though? Or there wa something up with him anyway if I remember correctly. Was it aspergers or something?

I think he was illiterate because of severe dyslexia from what I remember.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Howard Juneau

Wasn't Christy touched though? Or there wa something up with him anyway if I remember correctly. Was it aspergers or something?

Christy was dyslexic, it wasn't diagnosed as a child & not until later in life did he learn to read

Christy was dyslexic, it wasn't diagnosed as a child & not until later in life did he learn to read

He never learnt to read actually. Just reading up on it now.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/obituaries/christie-hennessy-former-labourer-who-outsold-u2-with-his-album-the-rehearsal-764840.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Howard Juneau

That's not quite correct, he did manage to read & write a little, but not with any huge success.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement