Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Ray D'Arcy Show Thread - Mod note Post # 1 Updated

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

I feel like screaming at work now listening to him pontificating about breastfeeding. Of course he brings the Catholic church into it again as one of the factors for our "low" breastfeeding rate. It also galls me when he blames "lack of education" as a reason more women dont breastfeed. I am an intelligent woman and did not choose to- my body my right. I dont need some uo-their-arse presenter telling me I'm wrong. Im sorry for the rant but am fuming now, I have to leave the office!

If you're getting upset by what was a pretty mild examination of the issues involved around the low rates of breastfeeding in Ireland, you should probably should stay off the internet because there's a lot of breastfeeding stormtroopers lurking out there.

He was pretty much simply reiterating the findings that studies have made about why we are the worst at breastfeeding in Europe. Considering many of the benefits it has, I can't see the problem with encouraging more people to breastfeed if they are able to: if you don't want to, that's your prerogative. I don't understand your ire about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

What was Rays take on breastfeeding? It's obviously a result of whichever decision Jenny took regarding her own children, all parents will vehemently defend the decision they've made on this thorny issue, Ray is surely no different. I think(maybe it's a myth) that we do have an extremely low breastfeeding rate so any debate or discussion on a popular radio show is to be encouraged IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

If you're getting upset by what was a pretty mild examination of the issues involved around the low rates of breastfeeding in Ireland, you should probably should stay off the internet because there's a lot of breastfeeding stormtroopers lurking out there.

He was pretty much simply reiterating the findings that studies have made about why we are the worst at breastfeeding in Europe. Considering many of the benefits it has, I can't see the problem with encouraging more people to breastfeed if they are able to: if you don't want to, that's your prerogative. I don't understand your ire about it.

I'm second guessing here but perhaps the poster you are replying to is getting 'upset' because of being treated badly and as an outcast for not breastfeeding by the hospital staff like my wife was and Ray's little rant this morning brought up bad memories. If so I can understand why she would be upset

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

What was Rays take on breastfeeding? It's obviously a result of whichever decision Jenny took regarding her own children, all parents will vehemently defend the decision they've made on this thorny issue, Ray is surely no different. I think(maybe it's a myth) that we do have an extremely low breastfeeding rate so any debate or discussion on a popular radio show is to be encouraged IMO.

It's not a myth. Breastfeeding rate amongst Irish mothers is just above 40%, amongst non-Irish mothers in Ireland it's over 70%. Ray's stance was that it's a problem and we need to encourage breast feeding more, but it was largley a discussion on why it's so low in Ireland; Church, prudishness, etc

amiable wrote: »
    I'm second guessing here but perhaps the poster you are replying to is getting 'upset' because of being treated badly and as an outcast for not breastfeeding by the hospital staff like my wife was and Ray's little rant this morning brought up bad memories. If so I can understand why she would be upset

Maybe I wasn't listening properly but I got the impression that hospitals and medical staffs, while eager to urge the mother to breastfeed, are not available to offer assistance in the matter and therefore don't mind providing bottles as it's the easier option. :confused:

• Advertisement

FunLover18 wrote: »
    Maybe I wasn't listening properly but I got the impression that hospitals and medical staffs, while eager to urge the mother to breastfeed, are not available to offer assistance in the matter and therefore don't mind providing bottles as it's the easier option. :confused:

I suppose it depends on the hospital or individual staff but that's been my experience, my wife breastfed all our children and is still feeding the 7 month old, but in the hospital(Limerick) she received zero support and seemed to be considered a nuisance whenever she looked for some assistance with it, there was one lactation consultant who is brilliant but she can't be everywhere. I'm not a breast Nazi at all but I don't see why we shouldn't discuss why our figure is the lowest in Europe if that is the truth. Unfortunately I can't hear the programme this morning so can't comment further on the specifics.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

FunLover18 wrote: »

In my personal experience with my wife is that the staff were downright rude and putting amazing and over the top pressure on her to breastfeed and made her feel terrible because she chose not to.

I suppose it depends on the hospital or individual staff but that's been my experience, my wife breastfed all our children and is still feeding the 7 month old, but in the hospital(Limerick) she received zero support and seemed to be considered a nuisance whenever she looked for some assistance with it, there was one lactation consultant who is brilliant but she can't be everywhere. I'm not a breast Nazi at all but I don't see why we shouldn't discuss why our figure is the lowest in Europe if that is the truth. Unfortunately I can't hear the programme this morning so can't comment further on the specifics.

This seems to be the most experience going from the texts he's reading out. I completely agree that there's nothing wrong with discussing, I'm a young male with no prospects of children in the near future but if it does crop up I'll be encouraging the poor woman baring my child to breastfeed.
    amiable wrote: »
    In my personal experience with my wife is that the staff were downright rude and putting amazing and over the top pressure on her to breastfeed and made her feel terrible because she chose not to.

That sounds extremely unprofessional. I personally think breast feeding is the best option but it's completely up to the mother. Out of curiosity why did she choose not to breastfeed? Most of the correspondents on the show have claimed that the lack of assistance was a factor, but I get the impression that your wife had already decided before hand.

I didnt breastfeed, and its not because i didnt have assistance or education or any of those factors, I just didnt want to, and never will. I dont need to be patronized by an opinionated MAN who thinks women like me are not armed with all the facts or that we dont have support. Breastfeeding will never be a choice for me, never. It does not make me a bad mother.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

I don't see what the problem is with women not breastfeeding. Who cares whether they do or not as long as the baby is happy

• Advertisement

I didnt breastfeed, and its not because i didnt have assistance or education or any of those factors, I just didnt want to, and never will. I dont need to be patronized by an opinionated MAN who thinks women like me are not armed with all the facts or that we dont have support. Breastfeeding will never be a choice for me, never. It does not make me a bad mother.

None of this means you or anyone else need to bury ye're heads in the sand either, it's no harm to facilitate discussion of this, I really hope that Ray didn't go overboard in his high moral ground stance as he's well capable of doing. What was it he said that particularly offended you?

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Typer Monkey

I didn't breastfeed either, by choice. I had no intention of even trying and decided well in advance to formula feed. The staff in the coombe were very respectful of my decision. I was asked in advance a couple of times how I would be feeding and a couple of the midwives asked me why but there was never any pressure or judgement from them, my GP or anyone in real life. I think very vociferous breastfeeders (the minority of those who BF) mostly exist online

So, would you be this angry if it was a WOMAN having this discussion on breastfeeding?

None of this means you or anyone else need to bury ye're heads in the sand either, it's no harm to facilitate discussion of this, I really hope that Ray didn't go overboard in his high moral ground stance as he's well capable of doing. What was it he said that particularly offended you?

Excuse me? burying my head in the sand? please do not take that condescending attitude with me, also why not read my initial post on this subject this morning in which I have explained in detail about what he said that "particularly offended me"

So, would you be this angry if it was a WOMAN having this discussion on breastfeeding?

If it was as one sided a debate as it was this morning, then yes, whats your point

• Registered Users Posts: 21,018 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I feel like screaming at work now listening to him pontificating about breastfeeding. Of course he brings the Catholic church into it again as one of the factors for our "low" breastfeeding rate. It also galls me when he blames "lack of education" as a reason more women dont breastfeed. I am an intelligent woman and did not choose to- my body my right. I dont need some uo-their-arse presenter telling me I'm wrong. Im sorry for the rant but am fuming now, I have to leave the office!
    did he actually it's wrong not to breast feed ?

If it was as one sided a debate as it was this morning, then yes, whats your point

You emphasised the word 'man' which made it look like you had an issue with a man discussing breast feeding as if it was a gender specific issue that men shouldn't have a say on. But I think I'm correct in saying it was Ray's lack of objectivity which bothered you.

Excuse me? burying my head in the sand? please do not take that condescending attitude with me, also why not read my initial post on this subject this morning in which I have explained in detail about what he said that "particularly offended me"

Look, you've made up your mind and I haven't criticised your decision in any way, why can't others be made aware of all sides of the debate before they make up their own minds. And why do you suppose the Irish have the lowest rate of breastfeeding in Europe?

Did he say that all women had the same reasons, maybe lack of education is one(obviously not in your case;))

did he actually it's wrong not to breast feed ?

No, because that would be professionally very irresponsible. What he did say was that we have a low breasfeeding rate was due to the following factors 1) catholic church guilt (that old chestnut) 2) lack of support 3) lack of education/encouragement. It has to be one of the above reasons, he cant fathom that a woman would simply choose not to.

You seem to be getting annoyed by the fact that he stated there is a correlation between the education and status of women and their breastfeeding rates. He didn't arrive at these conclusions by himself, there's been several studies into it. That's not to say that all women that don't breastfeed are lower class uneducated women, just that there are higher rates of non-breastfeeding in these areas. Your decision not to breastfeed doesn't mean that you are uneducated or poor.

Typer Monkey made the same decision as yourself and is more than happy with her choice. She certainly doesn't seem to have a chip on her shoulder about it.

Your emphasis on the word MAN was demeaning his ability to have an opinion on breastfeeding. And it wasn't a debate, they were trying to promote breastfeeding because of the low rates that exist in this country.

• Advertisement

No, because that would be professionally very irresponsible. What he did say was that we have a low breasfeeding rate was due to the following factors 1) catholic church guilt (that old chestnut) 2) lack of support 3) lack of education/encouragement. It has to be one of the above reasons, he cant fathom that a woman would simply choose not to.

But I'm sure women have chosen not to because of those factors, he never said that those were the only factors. If you feel so strongly that a proportion of women were misrepresented and that he was being unfair you should email them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭heyheyhey1982

Just as I thought this thread was dying BOOM D'Arcy kicks a portion of the listnership in the face and gets the fire lighting again. Didn't think it would be about T1ts though.

Plank

Just as I thought this thread was dying BOOM D'Arcy kicks a portion of the listnership in the face and gets the fire lighting again. Didn't think it would be about T1ts though.

Plank

That post pretty much sums up everything wrong with this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭heyheyhey1982

That post pretty much sums up everything wrong with this thread.

I agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Michael Weston

The second Ray alluded to the Catholic church being to blame he lost all credibility on the subject, it'll be his new cause now and he will ram it into the show between dating , depression and his merry go round of Irish comedians. The man is totally consumed by his own ego and presumes to be an authority on every subject , at the end of the day I'm sure it's a woman's choice if she wants to breast feed or not and regardless of how she chooses she shouldn't be made to feel as if she's a greater or lesser person based on a method of feeding her baby!! When he said "what can we do about it " I wanted to reach into the speaker and shake him, as if the nation is waiting for him to step forward and educate us on the correct way of raising our children.

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Michael Weston

The second Ray alluded to the Catholic church being to blame he lost all credibility on the subject, it'll be his new cause now and he will ram it into the show between dating , depression and his merry go round of Irish comedians. The man is totally consumed by his own ego and presumes to be an authority on every subject , at the end of the day I'm sure it's a woman's choice if she wants to breast feed or not and regardless of how she chooses she shouldn't be made to feel as if she's a greater or lesser person based on a method of feeding her baby!! When he said "what can we do about it " I wanted to reach into the speaker and shake him, as if the nation is waiting for him to step forward and educate us on the correct way of raising our children.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I think you're underestimating the power the church have had over this country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Strongbow10

SeaFields wrote: »
    Was listening in the car awhile ago. He took the head off that guy Will when he was about to say something and it didn't sound like banter or anything. Heard him do the same recently as well about something else. jaysus, fairly unprofessional.

what was said I missed this?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,018 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

i would say the church would have had an effect on certain people viewing breastfeeding in public as obscene. I would say that is a fact actually. I doubt they ever preached it but the mentality of holier than thou types would have thought that way.

• Advertisement

Well we are unquestionably prudish as a nation when it comes to the human body, particularly the fiddly bits. My wife has an acquaintance who breastfeeds but won't do so in public, in that situation where the child is roaring to be fed she'd be better off bottlefeeding her, I suppose the church(historically) could take a share of the blame for that type of prudishness

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement