Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Ray D'Arcy Show Thread - Mod note Post # 1 Updated

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

I think Darcy just did this because he knows there is a thread here about the show which bans talk of his personal life.

The only way to get around the ban was to post a bit of his fatty old lip so we could talk about his personal life. In a way Darcy has got one over on the mods!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭6781

crazygeryy wrote: »
    It just happened. It's an infection of some sort.

Wasn't it a STD/I or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Michael Weston

Ray starting the show giving out about the government and Catholic church, like a broken record taking on all the populist issues. This show is so tired at this stage it needs to be brought out and shot, even as I write this he's speaking in a language that he's developed for him and Tom! Give me strength

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Ray starting the show giving out about the government and Catholic church, like a broken record taking on all the populist issues. This show is so tired at this stage it needs to be brought out and shot, even as I write this he's speaking in a language that he's developed for him and Tom! Give me strength

A bit like your posts so.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

He wonders why the Catholic church give more gravitas to the opinions of Mary McAleese than they do of his, it's like comparing the opinions of Miriam O'Callaghan and Pele on the state of Brazilian football.

• Advertisement

BaZmO* wrote: »
    A bit like your posts so.

Zzz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭I Heart Internet

He wonders why the Catholic church give more gravitas to the opinions of Mary McAleese than they do of his, it's like comparing the opinions of Miriam O'Callaghan and Pele on the state of Brazilian football.

Yeah. I heard that - bemoaning the fact that the RCC's media office gave out about one of his previous rants (where he simply said "The catholic church has ****ed up this country") but they haven't commented on Mary McAleeses well thought out and well put comments.

Poor Ray.

As someone on here once said (and I think it's very true) - Ray has never said a single thing on his radio show that he thinks isn't popular and populist.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

Maybe he will ask that guy the correct way to pronounce the word "donkey"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Talking about the Jenni Lauren case and a woman texts in about her own experience on a flight;

Ray: And that texts comes in from Lauren ... is that a coincidence?
    Will: Yes, there are loads of Laurens out there
    Ray: Are there?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Think the Philomena story is an amazing one.

I wonder what Ray thinks of Irish people who have adopted from abroad? What sort of institutions cater for such adoptions?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,750 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

FunLover18 wrote: »
    Talking about the Jenni Lauren case and a woman texts in about her own experience on a flight;

Ray: And that texts comes in from Lauren ... is that a coincidence?
    Will: Yes, there are loads of Laurens out there
    Ray: Are there?
    Pure Partridge right there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭JM Skipton

In fairness to him he was correct, the Catholic Church were being hypocritical by not commenting on one case(Mary McAleese) but commenting on another(Ray D'Arcy) I would be in complete agreement with Ray on this occasion.And it's not about which personality is higher up the celebrity chain than the other the fact is the Catholic church yet again lacked any sort of consistency

• Registered Users Posts: 17,020 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

JM Skipton wrote: »
    In fairness to him he was correct, the Catholic Church were being hypocritical by not commenting on one case(Mary McAleese) but commenting on another(Ray D'Arcy) I would be in complete agreement with Ray on this occasion.And it's not about which personality is higher up the celebrity chain than the other the fact is the Catholic church yet again lacked any sort of consistency

Exactly. The issue here was that the Church said they do not comment on opinions on the church expressed by individuals when asked what they thought about McAleese's comments. But a while back the same man gave an interview to the Indo commenting on what Darcy had said on his radio show about the Church.

JM Skipton wrote: »

Bear in mind that Mary McAleese's article was only published yesterday, then bear in mind the content of Ray D'arcy's comment where he laid all the problems of the state at the door of the church, whatever their mistakes they are entitled to defend themselves from being tarred as a community with one populist and frankly inaccurate brush.

But my main gripe here is how his ego allows him to compare his own off the cuff musings with the well thought out remarks of one of our greatest ever statespeople.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

But my main gripe here is how his ego allows him to compare his own off the cuff musings with the well thought out remarks of one of our greatest ever statespeople.

Mary McAleese's remarks weren't a pre-written statement but as part of an interview with the Scottish based Herald newspaper so in essence they would have been off the cuff as well.

BPKS wrote: »
    Exactly. The issue here was that the Church said they do not comment on opinions on the church expressed by individuals when asked what they thought about McAleese's comments. But a while back the same man gave an interview to the Indo commenting on what Darcy had said on his radio show about the Church.

It's not unusual for organisations to be inconsistent when dealing with criticism or in their PR in general. Labelling them "hypocrites" for this is a bit of a stretch.

Regardless, the episode was an example of Ray's love of inserting himself into a story. "Mary McAleese said something about the church, but remember when I said something!"

Ray is in an interesting (some would say priveledged) position where he's presenting an entertainment show, so doesn't really have to even pretend to be impartial, but can deliver his own one-sided thoughts for the day/addresses to the nation as he likes. Fair play to him! I find the show entertaining at times...but desperately self-important at other times.

Mary McAleese's remarks weren't a pre-written statement but as part of an interview with the Scottish based Herald newspaper so in essence they would have been off the cuff as well.

Sorry, I was aware of that, however it's something which she has probably given some thought to and not just some quick quip to encourage a few idiots to text in whoopin and hollerin about what a great fella she is after she woke up on the wrong side of the bed!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,018 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Sorry, I was aware of that, however it's something which she has probably given some thought to and not just some quick quip to encourage a few idiots to text in whoopin and hollerin about what a great fella she is after she woke up on the wrong side of the bed!
    she's put some thought into alright! If going to Rome to study a degree in canon law is "some" thought!!

just listen to all the texts read out on darcy....look at all the tweets sent to todayfm while he's on air, and read all the comments on facebook, and think that Ray Darcy is the spokesman to those people....how can anything he ever says be taken seriously by anyone! ...and i should know i'm a 7.4 trucker/pigfarmer from carlow, dancing around the town with me 3 year old.

• Advertisement

she's put some thought into alright! If going to Rome to study a degree in canon law is "some" thought!!

That would certainly qualify, yes. Studying canon law in the city where RCC headquaters are would give one a good insight into this issue.

just listen to all the texts read out on darcy....look at all the tweets sent to todayfm while he's on air, and read all the comments on facebook, and think that Ray Darcy is the spokesman to those people....how can anything he ever says be taken seriously by anyone! ...and i should know i'm a 7.4 trucker/pigfarmer from carlow, dancing around the town with me 3 year old.

Huh? Who's doing what with the what now?

I think I saw you this morning!! Had you two pigs with you aswell ?

I think I saw you this morning!! Had you two pigs with you aswell ?
    one under each arm! wa hay!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

You forgot in tears and you should really be in the kitchen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

6781 wrote: »
    Wasn't it a STD/I or something?

Was he at Grannys bush again :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭el diablo

Poor D'arsey gets an awful time here. :D

He must be in tears every night when he reads this thread.

Haven't listened to the show in years but sound like it's getting even worse.

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

I don’t know if it’s just because I’m irritable today, but Ray is really bugging me this morning. First of all, he had a chap on who had lost his 4 year old on the Luas when the buggy he was pushing got stuck and the daughter had already hopped on. Ray immediately went on sanctimonious mode telling him that it was a lesson learned for him blah, blah, basically implied it was the fathers fault rather than a freak occurance.

Then he had Gary Linekar on and read a text from a listener who said Ray could pass for Gary’s older brother (despite Ray being 5 years younger :pac:) Ray went full on defensive mode about he has to get up at 6am with young kids and how Gary was able to spend time in Barbados, blah, blah. Jesus, there’s a man that really can’t take a joke.

ncmc wrote: »
    I don’t know if it’s just because I’m irritable today, but Ray is really bugging me this morning. First of all, he had a chap on who had lost his 4 year old on the Luas when the buggy he was pushing got stuck and the daughter had already hopped on. Ray immediately went on sanctimonious mode telling him that it was a lesson learned for him blah, blah, basically implied it was the fathers fault rather than a freak occurance.

Then he had Gary Linekar on and read a text from a listener who said Ray could pass for Gary’s older brother (despite Ray being 5 years younger :pac:) Ray went full on defensive mode about he has to get up at 6am with young kids and how Gary was able to spend time in Barbados, blah, blah. Jesus, there’s a man that really can’t take a joke.
    i actually heard that! It did sound like he was talking down to him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭saggycaggy

i actually heard that! It did sound like he was talking down to him

I never get to listen to the radio after 8am due to work but was late this morning and heard that bit too- what lesson was the guy suppose to have learned? Don't go anywhere with two kids? Don't take the LUAS??

Even the guy didn't know how to respond to Ray saying that and I thought it was totally unfair and probably made him feel worse than he already did.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement