Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Ray D'Arcy Show Thread - Mod note Post # 1 Updated

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

i actually heard that! It did sound like he was talking down to him
    saggycaggy wrote: »
    I never get to listen to the radio after 8am due to work but was late this morning and heard that bit too- what lesson was the guy suppose to have learned? Don't go anywhere with two kids? Don't take the LUAS??

Even the guy didn't know how to respond to Ray saying that and I thought it was totally unfair and probably made him feel worse than he already did.
    I think the caller was totally gobsmacked, he didn't know what to say in reply. He called in to try and track the people that helped him out and ended up being given a parenting lesson from superdad D'arcy :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

Do what I did years ago, stop listening to him

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Michael Weston

So a guy is out for lunch with his kids reading a mine craft book and commenting on it's content to his children. Ray instantly says, his wife should divorce him that it's dispicable horrible behaviour as if the man is a devil. Poor man is probably trying to find a shared interest with his kids but not good enough for father of the decade with his judgemental attitude. He really is an annoying little man!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,598 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I also stopped listening to him a long long time ago.

Happened to hear him the other morning for about 5mins and I notice he still isn't able to read simple sentences off the text machine or emails. His literacy levels must be awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

Theres no skill in playing music of a computer says ray. All you do is press a button, theres no skill. As mairead bursts into a laughter fit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,020 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

saggycaggy wrote: »
    I never get to listen to the radio after 8am due to work but was late this morning and heard that bit too- what lesson was the guy suppose to have learned? Don't go anywhere with two kids? Don't take the LUAS??

Even the guy didn't know how to respond to Ray saying that and I thought it was totally unfair and probably made him feel worse than he already did.

Especially the red line that goes to Heuston because as Ray said you get everything and anything on that Luas.

And I think the lesson the guy was meant to learn is that he should have either cycled or ran with his two kids and not taken the Luas and Bus. Oh hold on, the whole purpose of the visit into town was so the kids could actually go on the bus and Luas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

So a guy is out for lunch with his kids reading a mine craft book and commenting on it's content to his children. Ray instantly says, his wife should divorce him that it's dispicable horrible behaviour as if the man is a devil. Poor man is probably trying to find a shared interest with his kids but not good enough for father of the decade with his judgemental attitude. He really is an annoying little man!

Don't listen to the first hour any more. That's ridiculous if he said it seriously

Synode wrote: »
    Don't listen to the first hour any more. That's ridiculous if he said it seriously

He said it alright with the usual tone of disgust in his voice, the man clearly should have had his children on mobile thread mills while having their lunch so as to adhere to Rays standards!

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭denishurley

neris wrote: »
    Theres no skill in playing music of a computer says ray. All you do is press a button, theres no skill. As mairead bursts into a laughter fit

But not into a microphone, just near one, so it's a background noise, every time she laughs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

Its the reason i've stopped listening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Dub Ste

He said it alright with the usual tone of disgust in his voice, the man clearly should have had his children on mobile thread mills while having their lunch so as to adhere to Rays standards!

Well my missus saw him,Jenny and the kids having lunch a few months ago and from what she told me, all I can say is Ray....stones and houses made out of glass !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

Tips on how to remove stains from carpets and shirts..................real cutting edge. If RD was at home listening to the radio and this sort of thing was on, I would imagine him tut tutting and turning it off.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,589 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Its the reason i've stopped listening.

I didn't hear the piece what was hIs issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Dolores O'Riordan admitted that her son convinced her to do The Voice and Ray says something along the lines of "You've an unusual relationship with your kids, don't you. It's very honest." and you could tell he wasn't impressed. The idea that a mother might discuss her career choices with her teenage son :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,018 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

"Cackle cackle cackle...screech...cackle..." And that was your golden globes special. See you soon for the Oscars!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

Good to see Ross Kemp pull Ray when he asked his favourite question about how much was in his bank.
    Kemp , "that's a bit personal".
    Ray goes on to ask , Did you ever fire a gun, followed, by which is your favourite gun?
    "None of them" came the reply.
    Of course, there's the usual, What age are you"?
    Yet another cringe fest.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Good to see Ross Kemp pull Ray when he asked his favourite question about how much was in his bank.
    Kemp , "that's a bit personal".
    Ray goes on to ask , Did you ever fire a gun, followed, by which is your favourite gun?
    "None of them" came the reply.
    Of course, there's the usual, What age are you"?
    Yet another cringe fest.

He also asked him if he played rugby. :) and you could actually hear the cogs turning as he debated whether or not to say those infamous words.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

BaZmO* wrote: »
    He also asked him if he played rugby. :) and you could actually hear the cogs turning as he debated whether or not to say those infamous words.....

Also got a text in from Kate, I was waiting for the ,"I have a daughter called Kate". Thank God it didn't happen......................this time.

Bet Kemp can't wait to return.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭6781

If you excuse the stupid questions like how much money do you make? Or the countless more questions that a five year old would ask like what's your favourite gun. Or comparing 400 sex slave girls been murdered to a lion killing a gazelle, and other statements that make you cringe, and not forgetting the constant interrupting the guy when he wants to make a point. Along with reading out stupid texts like Ron Burgundy just because they are in front of him. I guess you could say it was okay....

I bet it killed Darcy not to say I played a bit of rugby. You know he was just about to say it till he bit his lip :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Horse84

How just how is he getting away with it? I know, I know, figures don't lie and his are very high but can someone tell me definitively what is the draw?
    From where the show was, it sounds absolutely terrible now.

• Advertisement

Horse84 wrote: »
    How just how is he getting away with it? I know, I know, figures don't lie and his are very high but can someone tell me definitively what is the draw?
    From where the show was, it sounds absolutely terrible now.

It's the listeners to blame, not him. OK, obviously he's at fault as well but he is playing to specific audience: mammies and over-sensitive truck drivers. For instance has any body ever heard a decent question for the interviewee sent in by a texter? No; it's always "I met him in a pub in November 1965, does he remember me" are crap along those lines.

Mr Topper wrote: »
    How old is he now? In his fifties? The Den was a long time ago now. He is practically and elderly man now

He's slightly younger than Ross Kemp :D

EDIT: He's a dad. That's his role; he's the "typical" Irish dad.

FunLover18 wrote: »
    It's the listeners to blame, not him. OK, obviously he's at fault as well but he is playing to specific audience: mammies and over-sensitive truck drivers. For instance has any body ever heard a decent question for the interviewee sent in by a texter? No; it's always "I met him in a pub in November 1965, does he remember me" are crap along those lines.

In fairness I would say those texts are selected and edited to within an inch of their lives, surely everyone texting can't be parked crying or dancing in the kitchen or proclaiming the guest their no strings attached! Oh how I love the way Ray reads the no strings attached emails and then asks the guest, do ya know what that means? Every single time

In fairness I would say those texts are selected and edited to within an inch of their lives, surely everyone texting can't be parked crying or dancing in the kitchen or proclaiming the guest their no strings attached! Oh how I love the way Ray reads the no strings attached emails and then asks the guest, do ya know what that means? Every single time

You can't choose your audience though, you can just hold onto the one you've got. As you said the figures speak for themselves I doubt they need to edit texts. If they are editing them they have the worst editors in the history of broadcast radio "Ask so-and-so about his brother!" They're certainly selective, but they select the **** for a reason, it's more than likely all they get.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

Another "hilarious" comedian on........yep, keep laughing at your own stories, that makes it funnier

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

eisenberg1 wrote: »
    Another "hilarious" comedian on........yep, keep laughing at your own stories, that makes it funnier

He was awful. Didn't find him in the least bit funny tbh.

Thought the segment on alzheimers was very good though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭JM Skipton

FunLover18 wrote: »

I'm a regular listener who enjoys the show so I am one to blame, however I am neither a "mammie " or an "over sensitive truck driver" so I fear the audience may stretch a little further a field than you think;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭I Heart Internet

To be fair to Ray - I said previously that he's never said anything that wasn't popular/populist. But he has been taking a balanced approach to the Irish Water thing. Credit where it's due - he's essentially saying - "what does anyone else know about what the consultancy costs to establish Irish Water should be." Going against the grain of the rabbles opinion to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

I thought presenters weren't supposed to gives their own opinions on (political) matters on air anymore?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    He was awful. Didn't find him in the least bit funny tbh.

Thought the segment on alzheimers was very good though.

Yea it was bloody sad.jeez.and i think ray handled it well.how the guy who's father died a month ago could even talk is beyond me. Fair play to him for going on the show.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement