Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Ray D'Arcy Show Thread - Mod note Post # 1 Updated

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

JAMM222 wrote: »
    i reckon we should print this out and go to the today fm offices and present it to darcy it might take him down a peg or 2 cos i am really getting sick of him these days:mad:

Maybe he'll read some of the best posts out on the air!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

I can just imagine him alright.

"And yet another post here from Mary in Cork, says she loves the show and ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha... Im her 'no strings'

Well now isnt that gas altogether.

Txt in to the show if you agree"

Id rather swallow a lenght of string tied to a tooth, then, when it comes out me arse, tie it to a bobble head ray and slowly pull it North than listen to himself and his gang of lick-me-holes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Sundy

We should make up a generic email about this thread and then everybody email it to him along with pictures of our computers. Would really be his style of thing.

To be honest i think Will is the only funny person on that show, he comes out with some great one liners.

As for Tony "sleaze" Fenton and his wall of sound. The things he makes people say to select their songs are just pure cheese. Less talking and more music would improve his show.

slideways wrote: »

"And yet another post here from Mary in Cork, says she loves the show and ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha... Im her 'no strings'

Id rather swallow a lenght of string tied to a tooth, then, when it comes out me arse, tie it to a bobble head ray and slowly pull it North than listen to himself and his gang of lick-me-holes
    Oh yeah that feckin "no strings" thing, why does he insist on bringing it up in every interview, its cringeworthy.. Also he loves to throw in a boast about doing that naked photo shoot, shut up nobody cares anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

slideways wrote: »

Oooh no I've just lost me dinner at the 'no strings' thought:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭conZ

Tom Dunne isin't feckin great in the mornings either. I won't even mention Gerry Ryan.

I've recently downloaded Bob Dylans 'Travel Around the World theme hour'. Some classic material in there. Almost have them all downloaded, so gonna fire them onto cd for the trip in the morning and evening. I'd recommend everyone get them, there's plenty there to keep you going.

I can't go on bitching about Ray D'arcy in the mornings.

I have had the priviledge of taking the piss out of Ray D'Arcy though. I pulled out the Atomic Bomb on Rock Paper Scissors last year, he didn't get it. Pretty dead pan.

I also pretended to be working in a phone shop during the odd one out, claiming that I got through last year and my battery died, claiming to know everything about phones. Had a 5 minute conversation about them, and during the Odd One Out, my battery went.

Classic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭conZ

I would also like to add

"Would you go away Ray you fool".

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

conZ wrote: »
    I also pretended to be working in a phone shop during the odd one out, claiming that I got through last year and my battery died, claiming to know everything about phones. Had a 5 minute conversation about them, and during the Odd One Out, my battery went.

Classic.
    aha, i remember that! good show!

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭GeturGun

zuroph wrote: »

LOL I remember that as well!! Hilarious :D

Definitely lost it over the last while. I used to look forward to Fix it Friday, can't be bothered the last few weeks, just kinda dip in and out the odd time now.

fix it friday is bollox now. "hey ray, we're going on a stag and need a man sized nurse uniform for when he handcuff him to the bridge".

Tom dunne was way better in rays slot, he's rubbish in his newstalk one, but needs a decent back team to bounce off.

personally i hold a grudge because when i was on odd one out they promised me some cds as consolation and never sent them.

• Advertisement

fix it friday is bollox now

Tom dunne was way better in rays slot, he's rubbish in his newstalk one, but needs a decent back team to bounce off.
    FiF was always bollocks IMO

Yeah I have a theory about Dunne in Ray's slot, doing well, even meeting boardsie's high standards and then all of a sudden he's off to another station owned by the same parent company, stuck in a similar mid morning slot and left hanging out to dry, with no music of any consequence to fall back on, seemingly no backing team or any real direction as to what the show is or should be...
    Did TodayFM feel that Dunne threatened their cash cow D'arcy? Or am I reading too much into it...

i dont see why they couldnt get rid of ray and put him in there. he was good there. its all a mess, its like the station hit self destruct lately. "listener satisfaction is down with ray d'arcy, what'll we do?""lose pet sounds?""sounds like it might just work!!"

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭younge

I like Tom Dunne as well. I find him funny and he doesn'y preach like Ray tends to do. It would be very interesting to see him in Rays spot. We should start a petition. Out with Ray, in with Tom! Who's with me?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,454 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Tom Dunne head and shoulders above darcy, no question

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Tom Dunne head and shoulders above darcy, no question
    Dandruff eh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭DesignLady

This thread made me decide to switch over to Tom Dunne instead this morning and as soon as I tune in it's a discussion on Star Trek which just happens to be my favourite thing ever! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭mcauley

HiHo wrote: »
    I do know a lot about the show despite the fact that it bugs me but that's because the last thing I listen to in the evening is the "last word" so the radio is automatically tuned into TodayFm in the morning so I tend to listen until I can take no more and switch to something else.
    conZ wrote: »
    Shocking interview with Harney yesterday, and he was licking Michael O' Learys balls for half an hour this morning.
    Sundy wrote: »
    To be honest i think Will is the only funny person on that show, he comes out with some great one liners.
    GeturGun wrote: »
    LOL I remember that as well!! Hilarious :D

From what I can see, most of you are listening to the show, on a daily basis. And then you come on here to moan, bitch and whine about guests / features / topics on the show?

My questions would be: why are you still listening if you dislike it as much as you claim to?

Just switch off?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

mcauley wrote: »
    From what I can see, most of you are listening to the show, on a daily basis. And then you come on here to moan, bitch and whine about guests / features / topics on the show?

My questions would be: why are you still listening if you dislike it as much as you claim to?

Just switch off?
    Sometimes you can't do that if you work in an office with other people.

You're forgetting one salient point about any or all of those posters and many other people who get to hear TRDS...a lot of them are a captive audience through having to listen on a workplace radio, because the general consensus is to switch on today fm.
    I've had to endure him for years and since because of H&S issues I can't wear headphones I had to just learn to drown it out...but I still end up hearing it, and it bugs me even more because I don't want to hear 99% of the BS they come out with or the music they play.
    You're also neglecting the fact that some of the posters you've quoted are people who tuned in in the past, liked it and listened but are berating the fact that the show has taken a nosedive in the last year or two.

It's so easy both here and in the TV forum to say to complainants that they should just shut up and switch off....it's not really that simple when it comes to one of the most listened to morning shows in the country...

[edit] *shakes fist @ BaZmO* *

Wertz wrote: »
    [edit] *shakes fist @ BaZmO* *
    Ha! Just getting you back for your headache inducing sig.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Ray's show does have it's off-days, and the more serious topics are obviously proving to be a no-go area, but to those who are stuck listening to it against their will at work, I have to say one thing:

It could be a LOT worse; you could be stuck listening to Gerry Ryan! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 37 upthewalls

TodayFM is the channel we have on the radio on work, everyone in the office is sick of him, so when Tom Dunne moved to Newstalk we changed stations in the office to Newstalk. However, after two weeks everyone agreed to turn it back to Ray, because he played more music than Tom. If Tom were allowed to play more music, then we wouldn't change. I am fortunate to be able to listen to the radio on my own set of headphones in work and for the past 5 years I was listening to D'arcy. This year I tuned into Pat Kenny and occasionally Tom Dunne, anything better than the D'arcy, at least I am learning something listening to Pat.
    Today Ray asked people in the nip to phone in for the odd one out quizz, If I remember well he had the same thing last year too. The show now seems to be a rehashing of last years shows. They all have become too cosy with their little set up and couldn't be ar$ed to stay back and plan out a good show for the following day.
    I agree with every thing that has been said, and do not know one person who likes him or his show. Think this thread should be sent to Willie O' Reilly at Todayfm.

upthewalls wrote: »
    Think this thread should be sent to Willie O' Reilly at Todayfm.
    And Willy would probably just send you the latest ratings. Well actually, he'd probably just ignore you.

The thing is though, Ray is still getting the ratings and that's what matters in business.

ray opened the show today with further ranting about harney, and slapping jim mcdaid on the back for abstaining from the vote. meh
    then went on a rant about how he disliked Gok Wans tone of voice. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

Had reason to read the full transcript of Ray's interview with Harney and it's cringeworthy stuff. MH didn't cover herself in glory but Ray was pathetic. Seemed to have three arguments rehearsed in his head, trotted them out and then played the hysteria card when the minister had anything intelligent to say. I try to avoid him - way, way too smug for my liking - but ended up tuning in this morning and struck by how lacking in talent he is. And how smart he is to surround himself with a team who will never eclipse him.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 130 ✭✭tedstriker

I used to work in an office when his show was always on and these days I usually catch the start of the show before I go to work. He has plenty of listeners and I think he has a right to try and reach out and encourage these listeners to do the right things, lately though (the last year) he has really been pushing his personal opinions on people via campaigns etc such as the drink driving and cancer vaccine stuff. While it is all honourable and great sometimes the issues are not his to pursue and his task should be just to heighten awareness rather than give out orders. He has really closed his mind to other opinions, which was never the case before. He is kind of coming across as a grumpy old man which is not what you want in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭sk8board

Ray is having a hissey one with the Minister this am sounds like he either didn't prepare or has gone all emotional and lost the run of himself...fair dues to Harney she is holding her own...Ray dosn't seem to be listening! Again!!!

didn't realise we had a thread for D'arcy. Saves me starting a new one.

this 'interview' with Harney was a disgrace. You just knew from listening to him that he woke up that morning and decided he was going to try get a rise out of her. Naturally she burned him up in that respect by keeping her cool. He ended up looking like a fool and showed just how little he knows about our health service, bar some random and useless facts that his researcher gave him.

Back to debating school D'arcy, shouting doesn't constitute an interview tactic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

I was at the Zig and Zag show today and Ray was very friendly to everyone so my faith has been restored. I do think he's better at this kind of thing though, the more light hearted entertaining side of things than being serious. It might not be what he wants but the old Ray was back today and it was great!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

My sister was in the Rose of Tralee this year and Ray was the host. He was fine when interviewing the girls, but anything in between was painfully irritating. He was on stage approx 40 seconds when he mentioned his kid.

• Advertisement

BaZmO* wrote: »
    And Willy would probably just send you the latest ratings. Well actually, he'd probably just ignore you.

The thing is though, Ray is still getting the ratings and that's what matters in business.

Which would show you that the listenership for the Ray D'arcy show is down:p

and so are the ratings for the Ian Dempsey Breakfast Show. So i guess they would just prove your point.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement