Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Ray D'Arcy Show Thread - Mod note Post # 1 Updated

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Horse84

God, it never ceases to amaze me reading this thread what he gets away with.
    Maybe some of the regular listeners could do a pros and cons comparison list of the show and see what we come up with?
    I'd start but I turned off ages ago

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭2moreMinutes

I happened to be in an office this morning with the radio on at around 11ish when he was interviewing some actress with a very sexy voice. Anyone know who she was?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

I happened to be in an office this morning with the radio on at around 11ish when he was interviewing some actress with a very sexy voice. Anyone know who she was?

No idea, didn't hear it, but I'd put money down she was in Love/Hate

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

FunLover18 wrote: »
    No idea, didn't hear it, but I'd put money down she was in Love/Hate

I think it was the girl who played the babysitter in "The Fall"

She is in that new drama starring Gabriel Byrne.

She seems like a nice girl.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

Not sure if this has been addressed before - why do they print stuff during the broadcast? Surely there's a corridor somewhere the printer could be put?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭lambayire

I was in there once when I was looking after a guest. It's all done in the one studio. The printer is in a corner. Will and Jenny were the ones that day going to and from the printer. This was back in 2008.

I'd guess that, some day, the texts and emails to be broadcast will just be sent to a screen for him to read out. He has to stick the reading glasses on for them now.

I was in the news studio as it was all going on. I had Ian Dempsey's team in the studio behind me doing their post show and end of week meeting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭Expunge

Why would Dempsey's team need a post-show, end of week meeting?
    It's been the same since 2001.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

Jenny got very excited when ray mentioned black and 12 inches after the first song this morning.

At least he acknowledged that the bit with Paulo was ****

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭RachaelVO

neris wrote: »
    Jenny got very excited when ray mentioned black and 12 inches after the first song this morning.

If my husband said that in one sentence I'd run a mile!!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

lambayire wrote: »
    I'd guess that, some day, the texts and emails to be broadcast will just be sent to a screen for him to read out. He has to stick the reading glasses on for them now.

He'd blow up the studio if he tried to read text off a computer screen!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Enjoyed Friday's show (missed the 10-11 hour). Music was a nice change from the norm, very easy to listen to. Was gas when he was messing around with the decks.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,018 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Can anyone here translate Conor Cusack's opening sentence/joke? i've played it back 12 times and still don't know what he put on the back of his hand!

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭homer.j

Can anyone here translate Conor Cusack's opening sentence/joke? i've played it back 12 times and still don't know what he put on the back of his hand!

He put his ballet shoes into the back of his van, and was heading down to a friends to have his hair cut.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 12 pete4355

who cares how you pronounce Ikea ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭HooohRaaah

It's been a while since i've listened to Ray. How is these days?

Does he still "sigh" when reading the morning newspapers?
    If Irish rugby is mentioned does he still act like a giddy little school girl?
    Does he still ask every guest how much they earn?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭JM Skipton

I am bereft of ribs from laughing so hard now that Andrew Maxwell is on..........again!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

HooohRaaah wrote: »
    It's been a while since i've listened to Ray. How is these days?

Does he still "sigh" when reading the morning newspapers?
    If Irish rugby is mentioned does he still act like a giddy little school girl?
    Does he still ask every guest how much they earn?

Yes, yes and yes,

pete4355 wrote: »
    who cares how you pronounce Ikea ffs

Utter waste of time.

I thought his interview with Paul Michael Glaser (Starsky) was pretty bad, I learnt absolutely nothing except that he's in Fiddler On The Roof which is an actor/musician performance and PMG had to mention the last bit himself because Ray was obsessed kept asking about a show that finished over 30 years ago. PMG was fairly sound and likeable but it was a very poor interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

Utter waste of time.

I thought his interview with Paul Michael Glaser (Starsky) was pretty bad, I learnt absolutely nothing except that he's in Fiddler On The Roof which is an actor/musician performance and PMG had to mention the last bit himself because Ray was obsessed kept asking about a show that finished over 30 years ago. PMG was fairly sound and likeable but it was a very poor interview.

The highlight of this interview was Ray saying PMG is almost OMG...and then proceeding to recite the alphabet just to prove it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

The interview with Paul Michael Glazer was cringe worthy, only rescued by the fact that PMG seemed to be a decent guy and played along with the stupid questions. No doubt Ray will try and turn it around to be the interviewees fault like he did with Jerry Seinfeld and all the other terrible interviews. He never seems to realise that the common denominator in all these cringey interviews is him!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

ncmc wrote: »
    The interview with Paul Michael Glazer was cringe worthy, only rescued by the fact that PMG seemed to be a decent guy and played along with the stupid questions. No doubt Ray will try and turn it around to be the interviewees fault like he did with Jerry Seinfeld and all the other terrible interviews. He never seems to realise that the common denominator in all these cringey interviews is him!

I did not get to hear the interview with Glazer, and it sounds like it was the usual crap, but if I was RD I would have told Seinfeld to piss off, he was a total nightmare, nobody could have turned that around.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

eisenberg1 wrote: »
    I did not get to hear the interview with Glazer, and it sounds like it was the usual crap, but if I was RD I would have told Seinfeld to piss off, he was a total nightmare, nobody could have turned that around.

Ah now, there was a pair of them in it. Ray's intro would've made Alan Partridge cringe. But I Seinfeld didn't help the matter after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

No, only one RD, self-opinionated little man screaming out of the radio to the young one who happens to smoke, like shes some leper.
    GO RUNNING!!!! FFS

As already stated, the only thing that saved this interview was the fact that PMG played along with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Michael Weston

When Ray interviews people of local celebrity he always comes across as dismissive, and it seems that he's not listening to his guest but just waiting to talk!

Then when he interviews people of international celebrity he comes across as nervous, an example being any time the guest gives any sort of witty answer Ray does his gasping for air laugh, followed by aaaaahh yeaaaa .It's akin to when in school a teacher would tell a joke and you would fake a fantastic laughter, you didn't necessarily find it funny, you were kind of just glad he wasn't killing ya. I think he feels beneath them.

Now I know it's no secret I'm not a fan, but to be fair I've heard Ray do some interviews when he relaxed and didn't try to make it about himself and they were brilliant.

I think I heard him giving out about the unfair portrayal of daddy pig in the peppa pig series again today, he really does need to chill out he is waging so many battles lately with the government, gay rights, Catholic church and the stigma attached to breast feeding that daddy pig might be the cause of his demise.

When Ray interviews people of local celebrity he always comes across as dismissive, and it seems that he's not listening to his guest but just waiting to talk!

Then when he interviews people of international celebrity he comes across as nervous, an example being any time the guest gives any sort of witty answer Ray does his gasping for air laugh, followed by aaaaahh yeaaaa .It's akin to when in school a teacher would tell a joke and you would fake a fantastic laughter, you didn't necessarily find it funny, you were kind of just glad he wasn't killing ya. I think he feels beneath them.

Now I know it's no secret I'm not a fan, but to be fair I've heard Ray do some interviews when he relaxed and didn't try to make it about himself and they were brilliant.

I think I heard him giving out about the unfair portrayal of daddy pig in the peppa pig series again today, he really does need to chill out he is waging so many battles lately with the government, gay rights, Catholic church and the stigma attached to breast feeding that daddy pig might be the cause of his demise.

I completely forgot about that!!! Giving out about daddy pig being stupid claiming that it was the equivalent of sexism towards women in tv being portayed as house wives etc. What an absolute joke, did he have any other examples of this sexism reversal? no. What's he on. He must be getting a hard time from the kids at home .... silly D'Arcy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

I completely forgot about that!!! Giving out about daddy pig being stupid claiming that it was the equivalent of sexism towards women in tv being portayed as house wives etc. What an absolute joke, did he have any other examples of this sexism reversal? no. What's he on. He must be getting a hard time from the kids at home .... silly D'Arcy

oh god i feel like im defending him too much, but seriously, that show is ridiculous, if daddy pig treated mummy pig, the way mummy pig treats daddy pig there would be an uproar and the show would have been cancelled,

myself and my husband happened to catch an episode before our daughter was old enough to like it and we genuinely thought it was a pisstake reversal of the old sexist cartoons, then we realised it wasn't a pisstake but an actual cartoon... :eek:

hoodwinked wrote: »
    oh god i feel like im defending him too much, but seriously, that show is ridiculous, if daddy pig treated mummy pig, the way mummy pig treats daddy pig there would be an uproar and the show would have been cancelled,

myself and my husband happened to catch an episode before our daughter was old enough to like it and we genuinely thought it was a pisstake reversal of the old sexist cartoons, then we realised it wasn't a pisstake but an actual cartoon... :eek:

I've only seen a couple of episodes (with my god daughter) but I don't remember getting that impression. I'm not going to argue with you though because I can't remember it that well. But it did sound like Ray making mountains

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

I've only seen a couple of episodes (with my god daughter) but I don't remember getting that impression. I'm not going to argue with you though because I can't remember it that well. But it did sound like Ray making mountains

post 2 here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056512366

and another view on it here:

the episode we saw was pretty bad ill be honest, i've seen others that weren't bad at all, but they are there, he's probably covering it as like he said on monday "little ears are listening" as they are on midterm...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

heard him in the car yesterday with his agony aunt section. some listner was having issues with her partners kids and said somthing alog the lines of she wasnt sure now if she wanted her own children. Ray got very offended at the idea that someone might decide they dont want their own kids. Hes the new Gerry Ryan ****ting on about his kids, kids in general and how everyone should have kids.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement