Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Ray D'Arcy Show Thread - Mod note Post # 1 Updated

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭GeturGun

mcauley wrote: »
    From what I can see, most of you are listening to the show, on a daily basis. And then you come on here to moan, bitch and whine about guests / features / topics on the show?

My questions would be: why are you still listening if you dislike it as much as you claim to?

Just switch off?

well the quote of mine that you used referred to something that conZ already said happened

conZ wrote: »
    ......last year ........

and i said that I thought the show had .....
    GeturGun wrote: »
    ........ lost it over the last while......

and that I .....
    GeturGun wrote: »
    ...... can't be bothered the last few weeks .......

So yeah, I have switched off. I'm lucky in that I have a choice in work with earphones. My friend txt me during the week to tell me that MO'L was on so I heard some of that. Didn't hear the MH interview but I would not have listened as I remember how rude he was [in my opinion] to the guy that was on from NTL last year and it sounds like it was no different this time.

Tis a pity cos I used to love the show and even converted one of my English colleagues to FIF but we've both given up on it now. Shame :(

• Registered Users Posts: 37 upthewalls

the JNLR figures as published in the Irish Daily Mail yesterday:

Ray D'arcy listenership was 249,000 now 245,000 down 4000 down 1.6%

Ian Dempsey listenership was 240,000 now 234,000 down 6000 down 2.6%

Pat Kenny listenership was 279,000 now 293,000 up 14,000 up 5%

Ryan Tubridy listenership was 311,000 now 316,000 up 5000 up 1.6%

Gerry Ryan listenership was 327,000 now 316,000 down 11,000 down 3.3%

Matt Cooper - the only show in Today FM to gain listeners was up 3,000 to 207,000

No figures released for Tom Dunne Newstalk as the show started in September.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭Tipsy7

Ray has really out done himself today. He invited people who were doing their shopping in the north on the odd 1 out quiz. When they came on he proceeded to lecture them about how they should shop at home, he asked 1 guy how much he earned and was trying to telling him how little he was saving. He then tried to turn another family around by trying to get blancherstown and liffey valley to offer them bargins. He finisihed his little rant by saying "shop in Ireland the republc that is"
    Should we expect to see him at the border turning cars around.......
    It is just truly appaling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

Oh god he can't have an opinon anymore! When people are stuck in traffic for up to 4 hours just to get to the car parks of these places it's fair to ask why would you bother go up if the shops don't have what you want, which what happened to alot of people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭Tipsy7

Everyone is entitled to an opinion. But to invite people onto the show under the guise of entering a quiz and when they come on air using it as an excuse to lecture them and pass judgment on how they live their lives is very underhand behaviuor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭sk8board

Tipsy7 wrote: »
    Everyone is entitled to an opinion. But to invite people onto the show under the guise of entering a quiz and when they come on air using it as an excuse to lecture them and pass judgment on how they live their lives is very underhand behaviuor.

+1, couldn't have put it better. Thats exactly how it sounded too. Even the most hardened Ray supporter would have thought it was a little underhand I imagine.

I think its the tree-hugging, enviro-mentalist in D'Arcy that gets out on national airwaves every now and again.
    As its nearly January, I'm sure any day now we'll get the annual "why do people buy new cars when I'm on my 628th second hand vw golf, and shur aren't they a great car" rant.

btw, I listen cause I like the light-hearted opinions; its just that when he tries to get serious, or political, he absolutely and whole-heartedly puts both feet in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭Declan30

I think he has reinvent his show over the last few weeks.The Den revisted show was very good.
    His ratings have slipped because Tom Dunne has started on newstalk.
    who i think will take over the Gerry and Ray eventually in the rating if he is left there long enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

Declan30 wrote: »

Who told you that?

I think he has reinvent his show over the last few weeks.The Den revisted show was very good.
    who i think will take over the Gerry and Ray eventually in the rating if he is left there long enough.

Yeah right maybe in 20 years :rolleyes: We wont know Dunnes figures until Febuary or in real detail until next summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

Tipsy7 wrote: »
    Ray has really out done himself today. He invited people who were doing their shopping in the north on the odd 1 out quiz. When they came on he proceeded to lecture them about how they should shop at home, he asked 1 guy how much he earned and was trying to telling him how little he was saving. He then tried to turn another family around by trying to get blancherstown and liffey valley to offer them bargins. He finisihed his little rant by saying "shop in Ireland the republc that is"
    Should we expect to see him at the border turning cars around.......
    It is just truly appaling.

If we all got paid as much as he does we wouldn't need to shop up the North.
    I notice he doesn't pay the same heed to holidays, when he goes abroad every year instead of supporting the Irish tourist trade.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Someone told me about his little rant today about shopping up North and my response was "he hates everything." I don't even listen to the show anymore but from reading this thread it is clear that he just gets worse and worse.

lot of grumpy people on here today. It was a typo on my behalf. i ment to say that since tom dunne started on newstalk he has taken a lot of listeners with him as he is popular.

And 20 yrs to get to over take gerry and ray i think not my friend.It too Ray only 5 yrs to get to 250,000 with his show.
    So it can be done!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Bum Boy

I've made the move to Tom Dunne too - he's just so blooming natural. However I've noticed on their billboards around the place that both names (Tom Dunne & NewsTalk) are in very small print. If people don't know Tom Dunne's big bundy head they won't know what it's for I figure, unless they have binoculars handy in the car of course.

lot of grumpy people on here today. It was a typo on my behalf. i ment to say that since tom dunne started on newstalk he has taken a lot of listeners with him as he is popular.

And 20 yrs to get to over take gerry and ray i think not my friend.It too Ray only 5 yrs to get to 250,000 with his show.
    So it can be done!!!!!!

Will he be given 5 years tho :D

Hmmm Hard to say Given the current set up on both Stations.
    Hopefully he will as it is a Good Show he has.I switch between Ray And Tom:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

I am a big Darcy fan, but that Garmin add clip they edited is a bit disgusting. I hate that add anyway its like a box in the rocks every time i hear it.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭wasper

Mark 00 wrote: »
    Is anybody getting tired of the Ray D'arcy show. well not so much the show but rather him and his moral highground. If i'm looking for an opinionated gobs**te, there are plenty of other shows. His show used to be just about havin a laugh and not takin things too seriously but in the last year or so he cant seem to talk about anything without giving a big opinionated spiel about whats right, (coz if its his opinion, then obviously it has to be right). Bring back the old days when he used to brighten up our mornings.
    D'arcy should never have left the Den.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Bondvillain

One Hundred meeelion dollars to the first person who gets Mairead Fúcking Farrell to stop singing every time someone points a bastard microphone in her face.

Lol have to agree with your there.And it will only get worse as the Festive season gets closer:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 refindsearcher

I like d'arcy...i hate yer wan mairead that works on that show...she hasnt got a clue..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

I like d'arcy...i hate yer wan mairead that works on that show...she hasnt got a clue..
    ^ Oh hai Jenny!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

i also am quite curious as to who refindsearcher is ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

The site looks great but not all the presenters will use the blog etc...

that bloke foley talked about it loads and he has yet to post anything since the launch....ever since he won his meteor award he's stopped caring about his listeners...he used to be cool and different by posting the video updates...since he won the award he couldn't care less...he's just another DJ now...sad really
    cut backs in newstalk are a joke....20% of the staff have been given the sack...the majority of the news team are gone....they'll be doubling up on news with Today FM...ie same news reader and reports...just a different jingle at the end...

I cant believe tom dunne is being repeated at 10pm...i think its really sad....late night live was great as was splanc....mayb they shud get rid of some of the sports team...seriously...sports havnt faced any cut backs in there....
    newstalks comment/competition line is 53106

competitions get repeated a number of times throughout the show...at least 3 times...

Someone who works at either Today FM or Newstalk, or possibly on both in the not too distant future!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

He was on flying form today the show wrote itself.

Some story about christmas sent in by a 30 something female listener, followed by one hour reading out texts of people saying they were crying.

Then the walls in studio covering a christmas song followed of course by the obligatory reading of about one hundred texts stating "OMG best song ever-Can I get this on CD?-That will probably be christmas number one!"

And then some comp with a kid talking and jenny babbling about how cute the thing is for an hour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭doingmybit

Just one thing i noticed with some of the posters on this thread, ye seem to really dislike either Ray D, Mairead or Jenny or all of them but still ye seem to be able to tell what went on in the show, if you don't like it tune out, and before ye say that it's been played by the company ye work for do one of the following.
    1. Listen to you ipod instead
    2. Leave the job if the show bothers you that much
    3. You should concentrate on you job that ye are been paid for and stop listening to the radio.

It just sounds a bit wrong that the posters that hate him, listen to the show on
    daily.
    Just a thought:D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

doingmybit wrote: »
    Just a thought:D
    Well it's a crap thought. Go back and have another think about it.

With thoughts like that you should really keep them to yourself.

Zulu wrote: »
    Well it's a crap thought. Go back and have another think about it.

With thoughts like that you should really keep them to yourself.

Why, do we live in Cuba or do you want us all to conform to what you want.
    There is a thing called Freedom of speech. Look it up and then look at what you posted. I never said one way or another my view on the darcy show, all i said is what is as plain as the nose on your face about some of the posters. It's called debating, something you seem you can't do.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Ok lets examin your post:
    doingmybit wrote: »
    ...and before ye say that it's been played by the company ye work for do one of the following.
    1. Listen to you ipod instead
    Most people in work environments aren't allowed to wear earphones.
    2. Leave the job if the show bothers you that much
    Leave gainful employment? Have you been listening to the news over the past year? Take your head out of your arse, people are loosing their jobs - now isn't the time to quit work because you don't wish to listen to that particular prat prattle on.
    3. You should concentrate on you job that ye are been paid for and stop listening to the radio.
    Incredibly, most people have developed the skill to actually listen to sound, while undertaking other tasks.
    I'd imagine the success of this genetic trait has it's roots further back our evolutionary chain. The ability to hear a predator while, say, going for a shit, must have kept a significant proportion of that distant relative alive to procreate.

Well, fair point about the headphones, but do you think typing on a computer answering posts like this is fair to the employer, or is it out of sight is out of mind, if they don't seem me typing ah well it's ok, but i can't wear headphones, no wonder we are in the mess we are in with this attitude going on.
    Multi-tasking usually involves doing work that you are paid for, not typing on the computer answering posts, and as you said, in these hard times you should be doing work only duties.

Leaving your work, well i am always under the belief that if you are unhappy at work, leave it, it will benefit both you and your employer, you are happy in the long run and the employer will then get someone who is happier and more productive. And, i can get this point across with out using foul posting words, try it.

The evolutionary chain, well if you think this is a good use of our genetic trait, you might still think that the dinosaur is chasing you.:eek:
    Good bye now, i have to go to work and keep the likes of you happy:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

Upon hearing said replys I decided to hand in my notice to my boss moments ago. Yeeess now I can listen to any radio station I want! Thank doingmybit my problem has been solved. [/sarcasm]

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement