Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Ray D'Arcy Show Thread - Mod note Post # 1 Updated

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭baldbear

Should Kian Egan actually be judging a talent competition?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Mod note: Ladies and Gents, take the rugby chat to the rugby forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

As interesting as this guy talking about babies laughing is, is there another DJ on the Radio that talks about his kids as much?

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Foley48

BaZmO* wrote: »
    As interesting as this guy talking about babies laughing is, is there another DJ on the Radio that talks about his kids as much?

Alison Curtis

Maybe it's a Today FM thing so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

the show should be renamed parentline. I listened to the 1st 10-15 minutes this morning and heard him mention daitihi o'seas baby, then a few minutes later some pedantic (or just werirdo) patrica texted in with daithis wedding date being 9 months ago. Darch then waffled on and nearly peed himself with excitment calling out daithi o seas name. At that stage i just turned off. Flicked back over at 1145 to hear darcy asking some boffin how many times a day a baby laughs. it really has passed the border of obsessive and is now becoming the equivilant of joe duffy and liveline with the presenter pushing his pet topics and fetishes from his own personal soap box.

Also I reckon who ever in communicorp was booking rays agony aunt and moncrieffs parenting psychologist got the shows mixed up

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Michael Weston

neris wrote: »
    the show should be renamed parentline. I listened to the 1st 10-15 minutes this morning and heard him mention daitihi o'seas baby, then a few minutes later some pedantic (or just werirdo) patrica texted in with daithis wedding date being 9 months ago. Darch then waffled on and nearly peed himself with excitment calling out daithi o seas name. At that stage i just turned off. Flicked back over at 1145 to hear darcy asking some boffin how many times a day a baby laughs. it really has passed the border of obsessive and is now becoming the equivilant of joe duffy and liveline with the presenter pushing his pet topics and fetishes from his own personal soap box.

Also I reckon who ever in communicorp was booking rays agony aunt and moncrieffs parenting psychologist got the shows mixed up

You missed the five full minutes of just baby laughing followed by ray laughing and sighing about how there's nothing more wonderful than a babies laugh! Really frantic cutting edge radio, the studio must resemble the new York stock exchange with all the hustle and bustle of lining up those original frenetic stories!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Turned it on in car this morning. Heard (another) rugby player on. Turned it off. Its not even funny anymore. The show is so tired and stale and seems to alienate more people than anything. A lot of my peer group have turned off in droves bored with the same rugby dating sighing baby talk ad nauseam.....

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

You missed the five full minutes of just baby laughing followed by ray laughing and sighing about how there's nothing more wonderful than a babies laugh! Really frantic cutting edge radio, the studio must resemble the new York stock exchange with all the hustle and bustle of lining up those original frenetic stories!

well i heard 5 seconds of a baby laughing at the start of the show this morning. Have to say the 3rd hour of newstalk breakfast really isnt as bad as i remember it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

Jesus, this show is so great today... Babies, running, anti smoking and Paolo Nutini coming in. Fantastic. .

Tongue firmly in cheek.

• Advertisement

Jesus, this show is so great today... Babies, running, anti smoking and Paolo Nutini coming in. Fantastic. .

Tongue firmly in cheek.

All joking aside how does he get away with doing the same things every single week!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭JM Skipton

All joking aside how does he get away with doing the same things every single week!!

Fortunately or Unfortunately which ever side you are on there are a quarter of a million reasons why he gets away with. Until this figure starts to reduce at an alarming rate he will remain the same.

one word....Competition.

one word....Competition.

Or lack of it.

Paolo not comfortable here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

JM Skipton wrote: »
    Fortunately or Unfortunately which ever side you are on there are a quarter of a million reasons why he gets away with. Until this figure starts to reduce at an alarming rate he will remain the same.

Well, if people keep emigrating who knows what will happen his ratings

I'm actually getting embarrassed here for Ray. What a thing to say. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

BaZmO* wrote: »
    I'm actually getting embarrassed here for Ray. What a thing to say. :o

:confused:

I got into the car this morning and he had another cancer victim on. I genuinely feel for people who have suffered from cancer but he really is slamming them in our faces.

Remind me of this

And before anyone says it, I did turn it off. On a more positive note, I thought the piece on eating disorders was very good yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭denishurley

Paolo not comfortable here.

What was Ray saying?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

To be fair to Ray, Paulo wasn’t giving him much to work with, he doesn’t sound like he’s got a whole lot of personality. It’s the ‘no strings’ texts etc that make me cringe. He always does it when he has a celebrity guest and it’s just cringe worthy. What is the guest supposed to say?

That said, that was a superb performance by Paulo. He’s a very talented young fella.

• Advertisement

What was Ray saying?

Ray telling Paolo what genre of music he was playing, Paolo disagrees but Ray insists it is. Then goes on to ask about his love life to which he was politely told to mind his own business.
    Nutini should have given him the Glasgow kiss...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,017 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

yeah that annoys me...genres are for dj's and hipsters....artists write music for themselves and it's the media that assign them a genre.

Ray telling Paolo what genre of music he was playing, Paolo disagrees but Ray insists it is. Then goes on to ask about his love life to which he was politely told to mind his own business.
    Nutini should have given him the Glasgow kiss...

I was talking about bit where Ray said "Love" instead of "Like" when introducing the song "Scream (Funk My Life Up)"
    He went on to say that he got mixed up because it's difficult to read and look at Paolo at the same time.

Sounded an awful lot more cringey in real time.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭HooohRaaah

D'Arsey sounds particularly bad today. What's the worst thing he has come out with?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

HooohRaaah wrote: »
    D'Arsey sounds particularly bad today. What's the worst thing he has come out with?
    I don’t think he said anything particularly bad today, the Paulo Nutini interview wasn’t *that* bad, it’s just that it’s all becoming so repetitive. The daughter of the guy in the cancer ad was a nice interview, but we’ve had so many cancer stories lately. I think what he’s doing with the half million half marathon is incredible, but again, it comes across as being a bit preachy about running because he’s done so many features on running before. I’m amazed that someone in Today FM management hasn’t pulled him on all the repetitive doom and gloom stuff. I’m sure it’s causing people to turn off.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,017 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

In his defense he stated at one point "oh i love this song"....which made me think "uh oh"....but it turned out to be a belter!

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Stepping Stone

Listening to the podcast about eating disorders. I can't help but wonder how he felt when the first girl was talking about running and cycling and doing loads of sport and her fear of sugar (even avoiding fruit). He constantly promotes exercise (good at a certain level) and his recent fear mongering about sugar and I wonder if he even realised that his constant barrage of exercise/ sugar=bad can have a very negative effect on some people.

I am not phrasing this well, but I do wonder if it ever occurred to him that he should row back a tiny bit? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

I used to be a big fan, looked forward to days that I would be in the car driving so that I would catch all the show.

With the arrival of the kids it started going down hill and now hes in constant pontificating mode and for me anyway its just too much.

A few years ago he ran a "campaign" about safer driving, it worked on me and I adjusted the speed that I drove at, now his campaigns are too serious and its rammed down your throat.

Pity really I think that the relative success he had with various causes has given him a king complex and now many that used to listen to him no longer do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Foley48

The only way I can put it is; Its like when your favourate TV show has a bad season, you remember how good it used to be and hope that it will get good again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭mr bungle.

Foley48 wrote: »
    The only way I can put it is; Its like when your favourate TV show has a bad season, you remember how good it used to be and hope that it will get good again.
    don't hold your breath waiting for that to happen!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement