Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Ray D'Arcy Show Thread - Mod note Post # 1 Updated

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Michael Weston

HooohRaaah wrote: »
    So do I. I've a feeling Cupid Kelly and Ray do be in bed at 8pm on a Sunday reading and Cupid will tell Ray "eisenberg1 & Michael Weston said this about you on boards.ie"

How would he hear anything Jenny says in bed with young Tom tearing around the place with a two stroke engine? ;-)

Oh how I hate annoying kids voices doing Ads....... listen to that Enable Ireland one! Who has kids that going around speaking like that and why is a kids voice meant to make us listen more??

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Wait! Is Ray back to being a Leinster fan now?

BaZmO* wrote: »

Careful now!

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭HooohRaaah

What did Ray say about Leinster? Last week he hadn't a clue about them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

I don't smoke, i don't care if anyone smokes, but this is pi55ing me off big time. He really goes out of his way to make smokers feel like lepers.
    Lord Darcy for Health minister.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Foley48

I was wondering when the smoking wheel was going to start turning again! Had been a good month since somebody who had quit smoking was on the phone line.

They need to find some new topics :/

HooohRaaah wrote: »
    What did Ray say about Leinster? Last week he hadn't a clue about them

A good few years ago when Munster were at their height, Ray was talking about how great Munster were and someone pulled him up on the fact that him being from Kildare should make him a Leinster fan. Ray said that he associated himself more with the Munster team and that he was a Munster fan rather than a Leinster fan.
    In fairness though, he did get a lot of stick for saying it at the time.

I was only asking if he had changed teams because himself and the sports guy were slagging each other this morning over Munster/Leinster and Ray seemed to be in the Leinster camp.

A good few years ago when Munster were at their height, Ray was talking about how great Munster were and someone pulled him up on the fact that him being from Kildare should make him a Leinster fan. Ray said that he associated himself more with the Munster team and that he was a Munster fan rather than a Leinster fan.
    In fairness though, he did get a lot of stick for saying it at the time.

I was only asking if he had changed teams because himself and the sports guy were slagging each other this morning over Munster/Leinster and Ray seemed to be in the Leinster camp.

Typical D'Arcy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭heybaby

To be fair smoking costs the tax payers 2 billion in revenue each year but this pales into insignificance to lives lost due to smoking related diseases. It's not about making smokers feel like pariahs but showing them the error of their ways... which ultimately tax payers and private health insurance holders pay for through higher taxes and insurance premiums.

• Advertisement

heybaby wrote: »
    To be fair smoking costs the tax payers 2 billion in revenue each year but this pales into insignificance to lives lost due to smoking related diseases. It's not about making smokers feel like pariahs but showing them the error of their ways... which ultimately tax payers and private health insurance holders pay for through higher taxes and insurance premiums.

Actually, the revenue makes a net profit for tax on cigarettes when you take into account what it costs on health.

Well they should ban cigarettes only the revenue collected is too great.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭heybaby

Actually, the revenue makes a net profit for tax on cigarettes when you take into account what it costs on health.

Not according to government figures ..

http://www.independent.ie/regionals/wicklowpeople/lifestyle/government-spends-2bn-tax-revenue-from-cigarettes-on-smokingrelated-illnesses-29083408.html

Even if the government made 500million in profit every year from tobacco it would mean little compared to the 1000's that die every 12 months. The smoking ban has been a success to a degree if according to D'arcy 4000 people are alive today because of it.

Not according to government figures ..

http://www.independent.ie/regionals/wicklowpeople/lifestyle/government-spends-2bn-tax-revenue-from-cigarettes-on-smokingrelated-illnesses-29083408.html

Even if the government made 500million in profit every year from tobacco it would mean little compared to the 1000's that die every 12 months. The smoking ban has been a success to a degree if according to D'arcy 4000 people are alive today because of it.

Yeah I actually checked that and was surprised at the figures. I was listening to Matt Cooper a few months ago and they had a guy that was saying what I originally said.

Ray is great craic isn't he..

BjfVzxsIcAALPf-.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭6781

Is it me or is making more basic mistakes by pressing the wrong buttons etc? I don't think anyone else at today fm is that bad at it.

6781 wrote: »
    Is it me or is making more basic mistakes by pressing the wrong buttons etc? I don't think anyone else at today fm is that bad at it.

I think it may be you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

<snip> Enough of the abuse </snip>

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Everyone f*cking well knows cigarettes are bad for you. But that's the beauty of a free society, we're supposed to be able to do what we like with our own bodies.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, all you anti-smoking cheerleaders will have a lot to answer for when the sights of the fun-police are aimed squarely at, oh, let's say:
    • Alcohol
    • Sugary foods
    • Fried foods
    • White Bread
    • Sedentary lifestyles
    • etc, etc

The argument about cost to the tax payer is also a red herring. Sure, there's cost there for the health system, but how much is spent each year because of alcohol? Liver disease, anti-social behaviour, cleaning up our towns and cities every weekend, property damage, road accidents, social workers for the families of alcoholics, miscellaneous alcohol related injuries?

You can't say one vice is OK and the other needs to be stamped out with a fiery vengeance.

I don't even smoke, but the f*cking hypocracy on this issue is hitting my last nerve.

Convinced that the Darcy team watch this thread, promo on Dempsey earlier was the whole Hambassador and De ya see what I did there thing.

• Advertisement

Convinced that the Darcy team watch this thread, promo on Dempsey earlier was the whole Hambassador and De ya see what I did there thing.

The what?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

I heard that. How many times did he explain the puns?? Absolutely rediculous. He really thinks his listeners are thick morons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

If darcy was reading this thread he would have shot himself a long time ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭lambayire

Nah he'd be in floods of tears in the kitchen.

gazzer wrote: »
    I heard that. How many times did he explain the puns?? Absolutely rediculous. He really thinks his listeners are thick morons.

Todays lesson children..Is it Aiveen or Eeveen. Don't forget its Ekeea not I kea.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Todays lesson children..Is it Aiveen or Eeveen. Don't forget its Ekeea not I kea.

They must have a book of hard-to-pronounce words and every time they're stuck for something Ray says "Right, I better get the book out … no, not that one … or that one … jesus where did I put it … oh, there it is"

Listening to him talking to the man who got the ninety nine women pregnant I found myself picturing Raymond as an old movie courtroom lawyer. You know the type standing holding the lapels of his suit jacket or braces motioning with his hand to us his listeners, "can you explain to the listeners how you have..... SEX.. with these women " the dude sounded like he was phoning from inside a barrel somewhere in outer Mongolia such was the reception and his bemused tone.
    I was waiting for him to say well I can't lob it into them by hand!! Anyway I found this a much more fun and dare I say it, tolerable way to listen to Ray and I recommend trying it, like a tiny Matlock

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

Listening to him talking to the man who got the ninety nine women pregnant I found myself picturing Raymond as an old movie courtroom lawyer. You know the type standing holding the lapels of his suit jacket or braces motioning with his hand to us his listeners, "can you explain to the listeners how you have..... SEX.. with these women " the dude sounded like he was phoning from inside a barrel somewhere in outer Mongolia such was the reception and his bemused tone.
    I was waiting for him to say well I can't lob it into them by hand!! Anyway I found this a much more fun and dare I say it, tolerable way to listen to Ray and I recommend trying it, like a tiny Matlock

Ha!, I could just see it "And, ladies and gentlemen of the jury, he did with exhibit A, his PENIS!!!!, sigh, sigh, I rest my case":D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Really enjoyed the organ donation piece this morning.

And Ray asked the question of the year during the interview with the man with all the kids: "And will you be impregnating any women this week?" :pac:

• Advertisement

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Really enjoyed the organ donation piece this morning.

And Ray asked the question of the year during the interview with the man with all the kids: "And will you be impregnating any women this week?" :pac:

He made a good point when he said driving licences should have an opt out box instead of opt in for organ donation.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement