Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Ray D'Arcy Show Thread - Mod note Post # 1 Updated

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭HooohRaaah

amiable wrote: »
    It's been said before on this thread a while back that plenty of people around the country have no choice but to listen to the show as it's on the radio where they work.

She is called Cupid because she loves setting people up on dates.
    She was 56 before she met Ray so I don't know what makes her qualified.
    Her twitter is twitter.com/cupidkelly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

It's been said before on this thread a while back that plenty of people around the country have no choice but to listen to the show as it's on the radio where they work.

Indeed, that has been said many a time but certain people on here seem to listen to the podcast to get their bile ducts going which would suggest they have some choice in listening to it. I do believe a lot of people on here tune in just to complain.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

I'm glad we're not allowed a radio at work!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Jaysis, things really are getting bad when people start to reminisce and they come to the conclusion that Gerry Ryan was a Grade A DJ. There was only one thing that Gerry was Grade A at and that was being a smutty tool.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Jaysis, things really are getting bad when people start to reminisce and they come to the conclusion that Gerry Ryan was a Grade A DJ. There was only one thing that Gerry was Grade A at and that was being a smutty tool.

In your opinion

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭6781

In your opinion
    It's pretty obvious it's his/her opinion as he/she wrote. Not you, or someone else. So it's a bit stupid to state it's their opinion, in my opinion ;)

BaZmO* wrote: »

I dont agree..... I think Gerry Ryan was great .... even back in the day when everyone was knocking him. He had more natural talent at interviewing and was a good listener- really got people to open up to him. Sometimes its a case of "you dont know what you got till its gone"..... he was streets ahead of Ray D'arcy...
    and yeah I know lots of ye will be lambasting me now...........but its just my opinion.... he had something. Radio isn't as much fun now :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

6781 wrote: »
    It's pretty obvious it's his/her opinion as he/she wrote. Not you, or someone else. So it's a bit stupid to state it's their opinion, in my opinion ;)

Actually the post seems to be stating it as a fact that Gerry Ryan was Grade A at being a smutty tool. There's a difference as there are plenty that feel he wasn't hence my post.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

I dont agree..... I think Gerry Ryan was great .... even back in the day when everyone was knocking him. He had more natural talent at interviewing and was a good listener- really got people to open up to him. Sometimes its a case of "you dont know what you got till its gone"..... he was streets ahead of Ray D'arcy...
    and yeah I know lots of ye will be lambasting me now...........but its just my opinion.... he had something. Radio isn't as much fun now :cool:

Was never a fan of Gerry, but he was streets ahead of Darcy fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

In my late teens/early twenties, I used to choose to listen to D'Arcy over Ryan.
    Now in my early 30s, I can't abide D'Arcy.
    Maybe I would've grown into Gerry Ryan, but I'vw definitely grown out of D'Arcy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

HooohRaaah wrote: »
    Ray talking about the lotto "They need to jizz it up" and he starts laughing like a 14 year old with the sexual innuendo. What a gob****e.

This, x 10. I hate the guy, I was in the car yesterday for 10 mins and caught some of his dross. During the wedding section, some woman said a few people at the wedding had handled her ring. Arsey nearly wet himself, he thought it was hilarious. Is it the 70's again? Moron.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭purplecow1977

He must be still popular enough when he hasn't been axed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

He must be still popular enough when he hasn't been axed.

He has like 250,000 listeners

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

MrMac84 wrote: »
    He has like 250,000 listeners

Only because theres no decent competition,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

shockwave wrote: »
    Only because theres no decent competition,

i don't buy that for a second,

with all the DAB stations, all the online radio stations, and the irish ones (for those forced to have a radio on) and of course the "off button" option of going doing something else, or just zoning out/headphones,

people still listen and take time out of their lives to come here and post about him,

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭HooohRaaah

hoodwinked wrote: »

with all the DAB stations, all the online radio stations, and the irish ones (for those forced to have a radio on) and of course the "off button" option of going doing something else, or just zoning out/headphones,

people still listen and take time out of their lives to come here and post about him,

For the 1,456,352th time. Most of us have to listen to him in work
    We can't simply "zone out"
    We can't just change it to some online station

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

HooohRaaah wrote: »
    For the 1,456,352th time. Most of us have to listen to him in work
    We can't simply "zone out"
    We can't just change it to some online station

i don't buy that for a second when i worked in a small office we had today fm on all day, i used zone out a lot and miss things i wanted to hear because i was working on something, the only thing i couldn't zone out was the music, the talking you can easily ignore

and using up your time to come here and post about it? if they really didn't care they wouldn't be posting here

Lucky things having the option of listening to radio at work! Once I go in that door, there could be a crisis outside and I wouldn't know about it! (Until lunchtime when I can check breaking news!!)

I am reluctant to believe that ye are 'forced' to listen to him at work.
    For example, if my boyfriend puts a match on the radio to listen to, I have no problem zoning out and not hearing a thing, because I have no interest in it. I don't see why you can't do that at work.
    Typical Irish trait - love giving out about anything and nothing :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Typical Irish trait - love giving out about anything and nothing :)

Been a while since someone used that one. Having to resort to it usually means they dont have much of an argument in their favour.

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    Been a while since someone used that one. Having to resort to it usually means they dont have much of an argument in their favour.

I hope that's not directed at me.
    I said it because I felt it was fitting - people complaining about a radio show that some could choose NOT to listen to, and others who claim they HAVE to listen to it but in reality, they don't, they could zone out if they wanted.

I'm not engaging in an 'argument', just making a point that nobody is holding a gun to anyone's head forcing them to listen to Ray D'arcy.

Where Today FM IS on in the workplace, is it an option to request an alternative station?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭TBP

hoodwinked wrote: »

And they're quite entitled to as well, doesn't make any difference what the reasons are for listening to him. It sounds to me like you and a few others want some sort of a thread where there's nothing but positivity aimed towards Ray D'arcy, his opinions, his antics or show in general and if that's the case well then maybe go set one up and see how you fair out.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Ah the monthly cycle of people complaining about people complaining.

Shur you'd miss it if it didn't happen wouldn't ya? :P

I hope that's not directed at me.
    I said it because I felt it was fitting - people complaining about a radio show that some could choose NOT to listen to, and others who claim they HAVE to listen to it but in reality, they don't, they could zone out if they wanted.

I'm not engaging in an 'argument', just making a point that nobody is holding a gun to anyone's head forcing them to listen to Ray D'arcy.

Where Today FM IS on in the workplace, is it an option to request an alternative station?

I hear what you're saying and yes I know people have the option of switching stations..... most days now I listen to Newstalk..........but from my point of view I just think its such a shame. I used to really like Ray D'arcy but its just that his show is stale and hasnt changed format ever. Most other shows do.

I would prefer to listen to him and see like the rest of us he is moving on, maturing, looking at life differently. He is almost 50 and its immature when he giggles like a schoolboy at every single sexual innuenda - like the girl on the wedding slot the other day saying quite a few people had "handled her ring"... Its justs kinda immature.

Likewise all the talk of babies..... we have all been there... dont ever remember Pat Kenny or Gaybo or G Ryan or even Sean Moncrieff going on all the time about their kids....yet they all have them. I would still like to listen to Ray D'arcy but he is not moving with his audience. Its the "same old" over and over again. I keep hoping and tune in to see if he is taking any criticism on board (someone on his team must read this??) but its not happening. Maybe the total breakup is inevitable - like the end of a relationship :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Ah the monthly cycle of people complaining about people complaining.

Shur you'd miss it if it didn't happen wouldn't ya? :P

Ah, shure it helps to break up the cozy whinge fest that occurs here on a daily basis.

I hear what you're saying and yes I know people have the option of switching stations..... most days now I listen to Newstalk..........but from my point of view I just think its such a shame. I used to really like Ray D'arcy but its just that his show is stale and hasnt changed format ever. Most other shows do.

I would prefer to listen to him and see like the rest of us he is moving on, maturing, looking at life differently. He is almost 50 and its immature when he giggles like a schoolboy at every single sexual innuenda - like the girl on the wedding slot the other day saying quite a few people had "handled her ring"... Its justs kinda immature.

Likewise all the talk of babies..... we have all been there... dont ever remember Pat Kenny or Gaybo or G Ryan or even Sean Moncrieff going on all the time about their kids....yet they all have them. I would still like to listen to Ray D'arcy but he is not moving with his audience. Its the "same old" over and over again. I keep hoping and tune in to see if he is taking any criticism on board (someone on his team must read this??) but its not happening. Maybe the total breakup is inevitable - like the end of a relationship :(

A reasonable and mature response.

You are probably right.

With anything (music, tv presenters etc) if we grow up with something, we expect it to change and evolve with us. It appears Ray hasn't, and it also appears that things I thought funny when I listened to him 10 years ago, I wouldn't find funny now, but he is still doing it.

I used to really like him. But I haven't heard many good things about him. He must still have a great following though otherwise Today FM could have done better. Maybe even poached Will Leahy :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭Jason_

A reasonable and mature response.

You are probably right.

With anything (music, tv presenters etc) if we grow up with something, we expect it to change and evolve with us. It appears Ray hasn't, and it also appears that things I thought funny when I listened to him 10 years ago, I wouldn't find funny now, but he is still doing it.

I used to really like him. But I haven't heard many good things about him. He must still have a great following though otherwise Today FM could have done better. Maybe even poached Will Leahy :P
    Will Leahy is not available for poaching.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

I often wondered when listening to the show does Ray really not know stuff, or is just pretending? Or eliciting an explaination for the benefit of the dimmer listener? One way or another, it's bloody annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭denishurley

Ray summed up in a nutshell this morning

Star journalist on talking about ringing Enda Kenny - refuses to give Kenny any credit and basically says that he should be busier than being able to answer

Then Conor Pope comes on - Ray complains about a buffer between politicians and the public. These items were not more than 10 minutes apart

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

Mairead and Will are too comfortable in their roles. Look at Louise Duffy, started off doing traffic reports for AA. Then got doing early morning shows, now getting the midday gig.
    Mairead was extremely poor when she took over from the great man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Michael Weston

Start of the show, Ray tells us how he received a large package in the post and he loves to examine large packages followed by the now customary immature giggle and sorry I didn't mean to laugh, then the painfully contrived chat with the news reader which I can only assume he's being told to do as it serves no purpose. Oh and just now back in the saddle three times tee hee hee. Grow the fock up man. Giving baby feeding advice now to a doctor!!!!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement