Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Ray D'Arcy Show Thread - Mod note Post # 1 Updated

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭starn

basquille wrote: »
    What I really hate about Ray D'Arcy is not D'Arcy or any of the presenters but the texts they read out..

I don't know what selection process they have, but surely that can't be a sample of the best of texts they recieve on a daily basis. A couple of things irk me about the texts..
    • The texts that make a joke / sly comment and end with 'ha ha ha' and Ray reads it. This will happen at least 3 times each day.
    • Inevitably a text from someone complaining and / or looking for sympathy about their life or situation - usually either about money and financial situation or the anniversary of a death of a loved one.
    • Like a poster above said, anyone who sends a text signing off with "<their profession> in <location>" (it's worth noting that location can be a country or town or a mode of transport - i.e both "Mick The Truck Driver in The Big Rig" or "Mick The Truck Driver on the road to Limerick" would be acceptable
    That's all I can think of now.. but texts are truly cringeworthy!

What how can you forget the "Ray Im a grown man\woman and for the first time in x years Im sitting here bawling my eyes out". He must read out one or two of these texts a day. Time to start putting Effexor or Lithium in the tap water

Not cringeworthy, but just plane lazy radio. There always the more of the same but ad nothing to the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

how about "She sounds sexy ray, pass her on my number"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭Heckler

Ray today when the Lucy Kennedy show was being slated.

"Didn't get to see it. Far too late for me. Taped it and thought the first 5 minutes I saw was grand."

When he got called on the fact that he was biased.

"Shure I don't know her. Why would I be biased ?"

Eh, maybe the fact that you have her in studio everytime she blows a fart Ray.

Nevermind the fact you can't stay awake beyond 9pm Ray. Guess what ? You're not the first person to ever have a kid. Do you go to bed and leave the missus to look after the baby ? FFs. I dunno whose the bigger baby.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

I swear to jaysus, that silly bint that comes in with her 'comedy ha ha' moment every week and mentions 'like' every second word will some day cause me to drive to cork and wipe out the 'like' brigade in one rage filled swoop

• Registered Users Posts: 43,885 ✭✭✭✭Basq

D'ya know what peeved me today? And I've heard it a fair bit... people who text / e-mail in with "bastard" or "bitch" in the message, and Ray replaces it with "B".

"Tell my silly B of a wife to stop nagging me".

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

He must have got his wrist slapped for swearing as he used to be the real bad boy and say the naughty words..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 JackSwain

He played that Noah and The Whale song to death. Song was out for ages and he acted like he'd written the thing the way he talked about it on the radio. I still like the band though, but only because Scroopius Pip told me I wasn't allowed to stop liking them, although he probably hadn't planned for the D'Arcy Contingency.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

basquille wrote: »
    D'ya know what peeved me today? And I've heard it a fair bit... people who text / e-mail in with "bastard" or "bitch" in the message, and Ray replaces it with "B".

"Tell my silly B of a wife to stop nagging me".

:rolleyes:

Maybe it was someone who was actually married to a bee.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

also, anyone else think this politician "dole Eireann" thing is a terrible terrible idea?
    the real challenge would be having to live with him for two weeks, they should call it "pain in d' arsey

• Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭el diablo

slideways wrote: »
    I swear to jaysus, that silly bint that comes in with her 'comedy ha ha' moment every week and mentions 'like' every second word will some day cause me to drive to cork and wipe out the 'like' brigade in one rage filled swoop

that's Maeve Higgins and i agree that she's totally unfunny. She just waffles on about nothing in particular. I'm surprised that she's invited back every week, I don't know anyone who likes her. She was rubbish on Naked Camera too. :rolleyes:

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Typewriter

Ever since he had that kid with ur one the show has been like Richard and Judy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭starn

Since Tom Dunnes move to Newstalk. I havent had to listen to Darcy. This morning I got a lift off someone. They had Darcy on and he was waffeling on about people letting there perents move in with them and copiling a list of feel good movies.
    The penney finally dropped for me. Ray wants to be the skinney Irish Oprah.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

starn wrote: »
    Since Tom Dunnes move to Newstalk. I havent had to listen to Darcy. This morning I got a lift off someone. They had Darcy on and he was waffeling on about people letting there perents move in with them and copiling a list of feel good movies.

What does Mr. Dunne talk about on his show?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭landmonster

starn wrote: »

Maybe you could give him a few of those extra Es you have. That'd slim him right down.

Saucer of milk? ^

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Bondvillain

Maeve Higgins = Change station.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Moro23

Ray I had a dream last and you were in it .
    My girlfriend is pregnant and I just have to tell some body.
    thats the best cover version ever.
    Thats so funny I nearly crashed the car.
    I'm sitting here with my three year old and she is dancing around the kitchen listening to that song.
    YEP you should here these texts at least once a week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Rory123

Everytime D'arcy reads out some emotional dribble we all look at each other in work and predict the texts that follow... That sent shivers down my spine, from mick the trucker... Brought a tear to my eye, and I'm a 22 year old male farmer... Dee in limerick said so and so.

And also what about all the sad gits that text in asking for the phone numbers of people who have been on or sent in emails. I'm a single guy pass on her number to me so I can be a prince charming.

I've listened every day since I started my current job 3 years ago and I'm sick of it... I listened to my ipod all last week instead. Can't stand the show that comes after it anymore either (I believe I cannot mention the name). Love Matt Cooper's show though. There needs to be a bit of a shake up in Marconi House, its just got a bit dull.

PS.. I won an Odd One Out hoodie a couple of years ago and it was rubbish. They are so cheap its no wonder he always gives them out to everyone that takes part. You be kept warmer by a bloody hoodie-shaped ice-cube.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,603 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Im really getting sick of D'Arcy's inability to read out a text or email without sounding like a struggling primary school student.

Right its offical.

That pleb and his whinings has brought on something which i had planned on holding off for a few years yet.

I have switched to Radio1 :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Tomk1

I gave up on the show 2 years ago, I like Ray, but it's just one long advetisment, Ads-talk-ads-1song-ads-news-ads-wheater-ads-giveaway(aka-ad)-ads-maybe song- phone in (prize=ad) and now its time for an .......

Now maybe it has changed in the past year, but count numder of songs, count total time between Paid-ads, promotion-ads, givaway-ads, talk-about-ads-on-tv, You will be amazed in one hour what you putting your self through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭ManFromAtlantis

yeah, hes not a heavy weight. childish predictable remarks. and vat off condoms.............wow theres a controversial ray, how did think of something so earth changing. always playing the safe hand.
    for all his faults, gerry ryan is at least a heavy weight. no more den radio bye bye childer'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭road_2_damascus

Mark 00 wrote: »
    Is anybody getting tired of the Ray D'arcy show. well not so much the show but rather him and his moral highground. If i'm looking for an opinionated gobs**te, there are plenty of other shows. His show used to be just about havin a laugh and not takin things too seriously but in the last year or so he cant seem to talk about anything without giving a big opinionated spiel about whats right, (coz if its his opinion, then obviously it has to be right). Bring back the old days when he used to brighten up our mornings.

Newstalk, BBC radio 4, BBC Radio 2, SOMA fm online, RTE1 if Im driving down the west coast and can pick up nothing else. D'Arcy is bound by contract and they now cant get rid of him... and the crowd of tribunal barrister's D4 daughters he surrounds himself with, and this is going out over the national airwaves :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

slideways wrote: »
    Right its offical.

That pleb and his whinings has brought on something which i had planned on holding off for a few years yet.

I have switched to Radio1 :eek:

Oh dear there's no hope for you;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

Mark 00 wrote: »
    Bring back the old days when he used to brighten up our mornings.

You mean when he presented the Den?

Cause, believe me, if he still presented that show I'd still be watching Childrens Television!

Having said that Ray has always been about his own opinion, even if it wasnt as noticable when he was talking to a foul mouthed Turkey, any member of the great Irish media Industry who has survived as long as Ray has at the top of the ladder is bound to become a little self important....believe me, I have worked with enough of them, to put me off ever wanting to be one of them. But if you meet Ray in the street I just want to say he is a genuinely nice person 9 times out of 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭el diablo

he had some bloke on today talking about the frozen sandwiches he has for lunch every day and what an amazing idea it is. that's when I switched over to Tom Dunne. :rolleyes:

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

But if you meet Ray in the street I just want to say he is a genuinely nice person 9 times out of 10.

I'd say all of them are.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Knightfall

Ray is indeed getting dull. If Tom Dunne can transfer his good work covering for Ray to Newstalk he will slowly take some of Ray's fans!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭Heckler

1. Amelie
    2. As Good as it Gets
    3. Forrest Gump
    4. Big Fish
    5. Dirty Dancing
    6. Little Miss Sunshine
    7. Billy Elliot
    8. Strictly Ballroom
    9. Juno
    10. Life is Beautiful

Darcys listeners top ten feel good films. Are they all wimmins who listen to darcy ? I've seen 2, 3, 5, 6, 9. If I had to recommend an overhyped film that made me want to punch myself unconscious twould be Juno. Who the **** talks like that ? And Rays in love with the "quirky" ****ehole soundtrack. I'll give his list a 1 outta 10 because he has Bodhi in there. By god the half of darcy listeners who aren't women are a bunch of pussies. And no i can't tune out because the majority at work want to listen to it. I should text Ray, "oh Ray i'm had to pull the car in, tears flowing,.......................................because i had to listen to your ****E !".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

Heckler wrote: »
    1. Amelie
    2. As Good as it Gets
    3. Forrest Gump
    4. Big Fish
    5. Dirty Dancing
    6. Little Miss Sunshine
    7. Billy Elliot
    8. Strictly Ballroom
    9. Juno
    10. Life is Beautiful

Darcys listeners top ten feel good films. Are they all wimmins who listen to darcy ? I've seen 2, 3, 5, 6, 9. If I had to recommend an overhyped film that made me want to punch myself unconscious twould be Juno. Who the **** talks like that ? And Rays in love with the "quirky" ****ehole soundtrack. I'll give his list a 1 outta 10 because he has Bodhi in there. By god the half of darcy listeners who aren't women are a bunch of pussies. And no i can't tune out because the majority at work want to listen to it. I should text Ray, "oh Ray i'm had to pull the car in, tears flowing,.......................................because i had to listen to your ****E !".

seriously your sex has nothing to do with liking any of those movie.Imagine someone in a hollywood movie about a smartass kid not talking like someone in real life.Hold the phone.at least 5 of those movie were massively popular and very good.

The show is terrible,but at least sportacus was good on it the other day

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement