Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Ray D'Arcy Show Thread - Mod note Post # 1 Updated

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

It's supposed to be light-mid morning radio that's why.

Says who?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,014 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

It's supposed to be light-mid morning radio that's why.
    back to jogging, kids and carrot sticks so!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

Instead of playing pass the parcel or pin the tail on the donkey Raymond will have all the kids doing laps of his back garden and then doing press ups.

You forgot the bit where Ray will win all the games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

Anyone else here the segment about the dog that was used as bait in a dog fight? I mean, obviously that's horrific and should be dealt with by the media. But not at 9:30am on a Thursday morning with indepth descriptions of the poor dogs horrific injuries

its been on all the Cork talk show equivalents these past few days, it a horrific story no matter what time you hear all about it, and its now making national news so i can see why Ray covered it tbh...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭statto25

Does he actually believe that sinkhole story in the Mayo News?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Michael Weston

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Says who?

That's the category they enter themselves in for the PPI awards so I would say the Ray Darcy team themselves, although not very surprisingly they haven't won that category since 2007.

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭mikep

I have felt that since G Ryan died Ray is trying desperately to make up for the gap that occured with Gerrys death, and failing miserably in the process. Whether you loved or hated G Ryan, and setting aside the drugs issue, you have to admit he was a profesional broadcaster who COULD actually interview people, no matter what issue they were discussing.
    Ray has been trying to mimic this with his half assed paper review where it sounds like, when he reads them on air, it's the fist time he has seen them...which I suspect it is.
    His interviewing technique is non existent and regularly degenerates to him interupting and trying to shout over people who aren't saying what he wants. His conservatism is almost constantly, at this stage, stopping him from having any objectivity on the items he discusses.
    All that said we still have him on at work due to the poor quality of the alternatives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

mikep wrote: »
    I have felt that since G Ryan died Ray is trying desperately to make up for the gap that occured with Gerrys death, and failing miserably in the process. Whether you loved or hated G Ryan, and setting aside the drugs issue, you have to admit he was a profesional broadcaster who COULD actually interview people, no matter what issue they were discussing.
    Ray has been trying to mimic this with his half assed paper review where it sounds like, when he reads them on air, it's the fist time he has seen them...which I suspect it is.
    His interviewing technique is non existent and regularly degenerates to him interupting and trying to shout over people who aren't saying what he wants. His conservatism is almost constantly, at this stage, stopping him from having any objectivity on the items he discusses.
    All that said we still have him on at work due to the poor quality of the alternatives.

I've been listening to ray for years and he cant get within an asses roar of Gerry ryan.hes **** compared to him.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,586 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

thats the saddest point

this week ive tried pat kenny (his show is what it is... it isnt light entertainment, its current affairs)
    and this morning its nicky byrne.... god awful radio to be honest, you dont need a "i realise im old when..." segment to run the whole entire show! musics pretty cack too.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Les Ferdinand

D'Arcy seems to have an extremely narrow minded view when it comes to things with sport in particular.
    You can tell that he views all rugby players as absolute heroes who can do no wrong. He thinks soccer players are all uneducated fellas who come from rough housing estates. He doesn't bother to interview them properly.
    He thinks GAA players are boggers with gambling addiction rife in the sport. Dubs who play GAA must only be from north Dublin.

The man is an odious little chap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Michael Weston

He read out a text this morning, about a well thought out e mail received from a listener on social welfare who seemed to have been shafted by participating in the jobsbridge scheme.

The man was clearly upset and angered by the way social welfare is dealing with the problem, so Ray responded by saying, do ya know what we need to do? We need to get Joan Burton in here!!!

He really believes he's a media bruiser reviled and feared by politicians, I suspect they laugh at him shouting and fist banging on the radio with nobody taking him seriously.

In other news NASA fear there could be damaged caused to satellites as Ray's ego has now gotten so big it may start to orbit the earth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭Jason_

At least the Darcy show is being talked about almost daily on this thread. The Tubridy show thread hasn't been active for months

Does anyone here actually like the Dr Raymond D'Arcy show? If so what is it that you actually like about it?
    Cupid Kelly, Mairead and Ray's biggest fan Will are not allowed to respond.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭Jason_

Does anyone here actually like the Dr Raymond D'Arcy show? If so what is it that you actually like about it?
    I like the Conor pope bit, I met Conor pope once,he is a very nice man

Jason_ wrote: »

Anything else?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Ugo Monye spacecraft experience

At least the Darcy show is being talked about almost daily on this thread. The Tubridy show thread hasn't been active for months

Tubridy actually comes across as a nice guy, even if his show is ****e. D'arcy on the other hand....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭whupdedo

Tubridy actually comes across as a nice guy, even if his show is ****e. D'arcy on the other hand....

i was trying to think what would've been an appropriate reply, but you nailed it

Yeah I agree 100% with this. He comes across as genuine sort of fella with an interest in people. Complete opposite of Dr Raymond D'Arcy.

Even the the likes of Mairead seem much more relaxed when Anton Savage fills in for Raymond

Cupid Kelly deserves some sort of medal for having to put up with him all day every day.

Raymond -- MASSIVE SIGH "Jenny you're not allowed have that birthday cake. Don't you know how much sugar is in it. Try this piece of celery dipped in hummus and then go for a 10k jog around the southside of Dublin"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭seosamh1980

I like the bits with the news, and the songs :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭JM Skipton

My favourite thing about him is how he really winds up so many people and what makes it even better is they have no power to change the channel because its on at work all the time.....that's the best craic for me;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 jedi1997

I agree with this 100%, Gerry Ryan disappeared up his own rear in the end (probably the coke).

But even his haters must admit he had some talent, good interviews and had an interesting take on the days news also a bit of banter with the team and fun with callers to the show.

Most of all he was completely self deprecating and not preachy.

Its an age old format
    1- the news comment (give your opinion)
    2- have a guest on the show (selling their book or film etc)
    3- callers, start a topic e.g. being single (respond to callers)
    4- banter about your life what you did at the weekend,
    5- interact with the team

I am now a 100% and committed Howard Stern fan he does 3 shows a week you can get these on youtube or subscribe to sirius.

Everything he does, makes what I hear here in Ireland make me want to cry.

have a guest on

the news

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭ivytwine

Heard briefly about Jobbridge and SW, a topic that interests me greatly, I was pleased to hear it being discussed.

Nip off to have a shower and I come back and it's fecking RUNNING. AGAIN.

I only ever run for a bus once in a month of Sundays- where my radio show?!

You'd never hear G. Ryan on about running, eating celery. Usually he was describing the bacon buttie he was wolfing into himself and how the egg was running down his jaw.
    Sigh!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Can anyone tell me what the deal is with this American lady he had on there this morning? Are they trying to find her a date or what? (I keep hearing snippets, but nothing in detail...)

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me what the deal is with this American lady he had on there this morning? Are they trying to find her a date or what? (I keep hearing snippets, but nothing in detail...)

Yea she's looking for a 4th ! Husband and wants one from the aul sod.she's in galway at the moment. She's 65.she's had a few dates here but nothing floated her boat so she got on to cupid darcy.

wnolan1992 wrote: »

She's a 65 yr old who has gone through 4 husbands, now looking for a wealthy Irish man (65-75 as she had a 45 yr old already) to marry her and pamper her for the rest of her days or till the divorce, whichever comes first.

Couldn't sleep with the excitement of the ham sandwich comp today. Jaysus, think there's one guy who cooks the ham for 23 hours beforehand. Wouldn't do to be hungry in his house.

I like connor pope slot,pixie mckenna slot,problems withh niamh,sports with jd and the odd interview.

Hate fix it friday its gone stale very stale. Hate email bag,put ray in the nursing home let aurthur do the show,and can't stand mairead farrell.

Why do i listen then?i don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,673 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

crazygeryy wrote: »
    I like connor pope slot

Same here. The guys brilliant. Do you get the impression Ray's not too fond of him? He seems to deride a lot of what Conor has to say and he tends to speak over him a good bit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Anything else?

He has a Degree in stating the bloody obvious, and is made out to be some sort of financial guru because of it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement