Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Ray D'Arcy Show Thread - Mod note Post # 1 Updated

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

Mario taking the p1ss out of Raymond was class.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭lambayire

Indeed it was very funny and Ray wasn't able to get a word in once Mario got going.

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭denishurley

Any details for those of us not able to listen?

• Site Banned Posts: 23 Baba P

Ha ha mario will be getting slaps off air !

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭HooohRaaah

Brilliant stuff from Mario doing Ray.. "I don't have time for laughing. I'm serious"

Drives me mad Jenny and Mairead laughing in the background though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭lambayire

All Raymond could do was fake laugh and say "ah yeah"

• Site Banned Posts: 23 Baba P

HooohRaaah wrote: »
    All Raymond could do was fake laugh and say "ah yeah"

He sounded very uncomfortable. Probably realising how true the comments on this thread are ! Hi Ray - change your ways young man !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Horse84

Just listened to it there and I found it a bit meh to be honest. Just more of mario trying to plug the live shows and sell tickets for the big marquee gig.

Whatever about d'arcy being uncomfortable unfunny and awkward I actually thought mario himself got overly defensive on being asked whether he was moving to the uk, "sure I'm perfectly happy here" while at the same time going "nothing stopping me doing something for the uk here or moving there for a year or so" ie come get me lol. More power to him. Not for me however.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭buckfasterer

Ha, the heckles got up on him when Ray read out the text saying that he was cleaning up at €40 a go.....immediately got very awkward and he had a right dig at Dara O Briain sayin he'd earned 20 odd mill!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Michael Weston

To be fair Mario was very funny, I'd say Ray found that very embarrassing he tried to change the subject twice when Mario was delivering his
    Onslaught.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭JM Skipton

I cracked up laughing yesterday when Ray was interviewing the musical act welcoming Donald Trump
    "So...Donald Trump.....Big Man.....Small Man?"

Listened back to Mario impersonating Raymond to Raymond and I absolutely love it. He needs to make it a regular character on Gift Grub.

Mario impersonating Ray - "Look i'm a very serious individual, ive no time for laughter" to which Ray replies "I'm not actually" and proceeds to try and change the subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Just saw this on facebook "Can you name The Ray D'Arcy Show team member by their arse?!" So glad I stopped listening, I don't even want to imagine the audio equivalent

10298805_10152145929607568_8723320582403901310_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭mikep

Is it me or is Ray being rather condescending to Imelda May??

Had to mention twice that her husband gave her a look because she messed up...once during a song she hadn't done before, a brilliant cover of Stray Cat Strut!

I almost expect him to use the "isn't she a great little girl" line...

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Michael Weston

FunLover18 wrote: »
    Just saw this on facebook "Can you name The Ray D'Arcy Show team member by their arse?!" So glad I stopped listening, I don't even want to imagine the audio equivalent

10298805_10152145929607568_8723320582403901310_n.jpg

In fairness I thought Rays would be more prominent with his head up it, they use every excuse possible to make everything about them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 jedi1997

How hard is this ......

Ask a person a question and actually attempt to sound like you are listening to the person ?

Ray :: yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah (in other words i'm not interested at all in what you are saying to me).

Just waiting for his chance to speak. Which usually is not even half way related to the persons answer.

Crap interviewing 101

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭reg114

jedi1997 wrote: »
    How hard is this ......

Ask a person a question and actually attempt to sound like you are listening to the person ?

Ray :: yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah (in other words i'm not interested at all in what you are saying to me).

Just waiting for his chance to speak. Which usually is not even half way related to the persons answer.

Crap interviewing 101

I think you're on the right track regarding Rays lack of interviewing skills. The issue for me is he's generally awkward and cumbersome on the air anyway. I'm beginning to think Ray has an inferiority complex which colours alot of his persona, couple that with his age and the length of time he's been doing the same show, surrounded by the same people and you've got a jaded presenter in a jaded format.
    Darcy is also very narrow minded so when he is interviewing someone on a subject he's neither interested in nor familiar with the interview suffers as its dominated by Rays negativity.

That's one thing i've definitely noticed about D'Arcy. The interviewee is talking and he's just saying "yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah" totally disinterested and then reads out a text message "Mary in Athy thinks you're a ride"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭thomas anderson.

Lads I must say ye have broken the glass ceiling on Ray for me. Used to think the show was great but after reading this thread I can see exactly what ye are talking about.

Thanks lads

• Advertisement

Lads I must say ye have broken the glass ceiling on Ray for me. Used to think the show was great but after reading this thread I can see exactly what ye are talking about.

Thanks lads

No problem Tom. He's down 25% in ratings this year. You're not alone. Long may the decrease continue

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

Shelflife wrote: »
    Dear Ray, I just caught some of your interview with Paul Galvin.
    Just a few basic tips,

If you ask a question please let the interviewee answer it before you move on to the next one.

You have the interviewee on for a reason ie so that we can listen to them and their views, please don't ask a question and then give your opinion.

Never ever cut across or talk over the interviewee, it's just rude.

If the question invokes a tangent that is interesting , go with it. Don't stop them to ask another inane question.

Plan your interview so that you don't ask a question and then stop him answering do that you can go to a break. Wtf was that ?

Never ever highlight a shortcoming of an interviewee, pointing out the problems you had finding his site on air was rude and ignorant. By all means highlight the problem off air.

Do your homework and stop going off on tangents that you are interested in, what has anything Bod is doing got to do with Paul Galvin ?

Finally please give up interviewing people , because you are totally crap at it and suck the life out of most of the people you have on!

We've been saying this for a long time now, post above is nearly a year and a half ago, you'd think that someone would have mentioned it to him at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

No problem Tom. He's down 25% in ratings this year. You're not alone. Long may the decrease continue

TBH, I'd prefer the show to improve rather than him to continue losing listeners...

I would love to know if anyone from the team look at this. Ray, Jenny, Mairead, Will, Siobhan and Pam? Why are there that many people working for a 3 hour show that rarely changes its format anyway?

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    TBH, I'd prefer the show to improve rather than him to continue losing listeners...

Ray losing listeners will force the change. If they stay the same he won't improve.

wnolan1992 wrote: »

yeah but Ray is obviously not listening. Surely you have to listen to your critics sometime? Surely we're not all trolls - just ordinary people who used to be fans. Its ages since I originally wrote on this thread - but I have now moved the dial to Newstalk - I rarely listen to Ray now - he is so annoying and I cant stand the giggling, interrupting, references to running, babies, Kate and Tom, healthy eating. I eat healthy, I exercise, I am a mother, so what? I want to hear diverse stuff - interesting stuff - opinions that aren't Ray's - not someone laughing at their own jokes . Not funny, not good - I am one of the 25% who moved. He doesn't want to know - is that arrogant or stupid?????????

• Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

yeah but Ray is obviously not listening. Surely you have to listen to your critics sometime? Surely we're not all trolls - just ordinary people who used to be fans. Its ages since I originally wrote on this thread - but I have now moved the dial to Newstalk - I rarely listen to Ray now - he is so annoying and I cant stand the giggling, interrupting, references to running, babies, Kate and Tom, healthy eating. I eat healthy, I exercise, I am a mother, so what? I want to hear diverse stuff - interesting stuff - opinions that aren't Ray's - not someone laughing at their own jokes . Not funny, not good - I am one of the 25% who moved. He doesn't want to know - is that arrogant or stupid?????????

Well said

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

someone laughing at their own jokes .
    For me, the worst is his explaining 'jokes'.
    The man has no respect for his listeners.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Where are you getting that figure from? You wouldn't just be making it up now would you?

• Advertisement

Addle wrote: »
    For me, the worst is his explaining 'jokes'.
    The man has no respect for his listeners.

He's a pompous old git.

The schoolyard sniggering at sexual innuendo is ridiculous "Balls hahaha"
    Ray is 67 years of age but has the sense of humour of a primary school student.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement