Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Ray D'Arcy Show Thread - Mod note Post # 1 Updated

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭HooohRaaah

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Where are you getting that figure from? You wouldn't just be making it up now would you?

No I pulled from my arse. It's either 25% or 15%

Sorry my mistake. It's 25,000 listeners he's down. Still a considerable amount.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Johnnythefox4

HooohRaaah wrote: »
    I would love to know if anyone from the team look at this. Ray, Jenny, Mairead, Will, Siobhan and Pam? Why are there that many people working for a 3 hour show that rarely changes its format anyway?

I can't understand that either. I mean surely 1 producer and a researcher is enough for that show. They were advertising for a full time producer about a month ago. Why the hell would they need 2 producers? Like you said its pretty much the same items every week

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Vorenus400

Shelflife wrote: »
    We've been saying this for a long time now, post above is nearly a year and a half ago, you'd think that someone would have mentioned it to him at this stage.

I dont think Ray is alone in this. I cant think of anyone on a breakfast show who is a very good interviewer. They all seem to have a list of questions and then try to catch the target off guard by springing a new question halfway through the previous one. I wonder do they get training from similar PR firms or something like that as Tubridy is similar.

I think Ray and his team have gotten lazy and consistent. even when he does a piece about sex, its very much 90s late late show style, nothing in depth but always something they will laugh at. Maybe if he changed 1 or 2 of the staff the show would improve as they seem like his constant cheerleaders.

For me the best interviewer on Irish radio is Moncrieff on newstalk. They do excellent research on all the topics, even if it appears that someone had to read a few books a week. The discussion flows freely and it doesnt feel like he is checking off a list of questions. Of course there are some bad reviews but none as awkward as Ray at his worst.

Vorenus400 wrote: »
    I dont think Ray is alone in this. I cant think of anyone on a breakfast show who is a very good interviewer. They all seem to have a list of questions and then try to catch the target off guard by springing a new question halfway through the previous one. I wonder do they get training from similar PR firms or something like that as Tubridy is similar.

I think Ray and his team have gotten lazy and consistent. even when he does a piece about sex, its very much 90s late late show style, nothing in depth but always something they will laugh at. Maybe if he changed 1 or 2 of the staff the show would improve as they seem like his constant cheerleaders.

For me the best interviewer on Irish radio is Moncrieff on newstalk. They do excellent research on all the topics, even if it appears that someone had to read a few books a week. The discussion flows freely and it doesnt feel like he is checking off a list of questions. Of course there are some bad reviews but none as awkward as Ray at his worst.

totally agree - Moncrieff is great - a natural :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Michael Weston

That's one thing i've definitely noticed about D'Arcy. The interviewee is talking and he's just saying "yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah" totally disinterested and then reads out a text message "Mary in Athy thinks you're a ride"

Or Mary in Athy says you're her no strings, heh heh. Do you know what a no strings is???? Actually I won't wait for you to answer that, I'll explain it for the 658th time. Although they came up with a new one yesterday, when Imelda May had finished singing a ""listener" text in to say the baby in her belly was dancing around listening to her. Give me strength

Or Mary in Athy says you're her no strings, heh heh. Do you know what a no strings is???? Actually I won't wait for you to answer that, I'll explain it for the 658th time. Although they came up with a new one yesterday, when Imelda May had finished singing a ""listener" text in to say the baby in her belly was dancing around listening to her. Give me strength

Ha Ha - now you're getting the Ray repeating bug!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

Heard ya the first time ðŸ˜

• Subscribers Posts: 41,586 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

The mobile version of boards has a habit of multi posting

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,724 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Give me strength.

• Advertisement

Heard ya the first time ðŸ˜

Ha ha sorry I'm a gimp, stupid phone reposting!! Stop stop eject just put that in there and that should be it aaaaaah yeah

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

Another "dancer" in the kitchen to Ultravox, why do they always dance in the kitchen?

eisenberg1 wrote: »
    Another "dancer" in the kitchen to Ultravox, why do they always dance in the kitchen?

Will makes up the texts he hands to Ray and gets lazy making them up

Won't get more honest or accurate than that

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Yep. 200K listeners and they make up the texts themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Horse84

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Yep. 200K listeners and they make up the texts themselves.

Yea man it's about as unbelievable as a professional radio broadcaster of 20 odd years with 200k listeners not being able to play a song on the radio. Oh wait....

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Klim

Or-and I know this is a completely crazy, loony idea for around these parts- people send that crap in because they know it'll likely get read out on air as it very frequently does? Mental thought, I know though.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Carson10

Is it me or is every Irish radio show now presented by an outdated boring middle-aged man who keeps ranting on about married life, his kids and babies, callers rining-in about their kids etc...

Ryan Turbidy
    Ray Darcy
    Nicky Byrne
    Colm Hayes
    Rick O'Shea
    Will Leahy
    Dave Fanning

All on air well passed their sell by date and usually accompanied by an annoying female co-presenter talking about some niteclub they remember in 1997.

Really wish we could get BBC Radio 1 here in Ireland.

Irish radio is so boring.

The only time the play decent music is for about 2 hours on a saturday night when all the listeners are gone out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

totally agree - Moncrieff is great - a natural :o

I'd agree with that. But it's not the researchers. Moncrief has an intellect, Ray doesn't that's the difference. Sean could hold his own on most subjects and sound interested even if he isn't.

edit: @ Carson 10. Irish radio is boring and for the most part presented by the terminally untalented, Moncrief aside.
    Music wise it is truly awful. I listen to BBC radio 4 for speech radio now and BBC 6 is excellent for music. More people should do themselves a favour and switch,but they won't.

Ray was hosting 'School Around the Corner' tonight. I missed it, anyone see it?
    Did he ask any of the kids what height they are or how much they earn or perhaps even a sigh after one of their answers?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 36 D Weasel

Whinging about the weather now

Ray just asked Why a professional model feels the need to appear in a magazine wearing just lingerie, he sounded incredulous while asking that question. Has he a brain in his head at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,589 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Serious question here.

No matter how much I would like a song, I would never ever see myself dancing around the house to it. Sing along with it, yes, but dance? A definite no.

Is it just something people say they do, or are there actually people sad enough to do that?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,014 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I danced around the kitchen with my 2yo on sunday.....now what...it seemed like a normal thing to do at the time ....now i'm dying inside

Ps
    i didn't text michael seargent on east coast fm sports to tell him

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭SuperDude87

Did he ask any of the kids what height they are or how much they earn or perhaps even a sigh after one of their answers?

This has been making me laugh since yesterday!

I do like Ray though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭TBP

NIMAN wrote: »
    Serious question here.

No matter how much I would like a song, I would never ever see myself dancing around the house to it. Sing along with it, yes, but dance? A definite no.

Is it just something people say they do, or are there actually people sad enough to do that?

They're Ray D'arcy show listeners.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

I'd agree with that. But it's not the researchers. Moncrief has an intellect, Ray doesn't that's the difference. Sean could hold his own on most subjects and sound interested even if he isn't.

edit: @ Carson 10. Irish radio is boring and for the most part presented by the terminally untalented, Moncrief aside.
    Music wise it is truly awful. I listen to BBC radio 4 for speech radio now and BBC 6 is excellent for music. More people should do themselves a favour and switch,but they won't.

Agree Moncrieff is intelligent but strikes me as a bit of a sexual pervert! Last time I tuned in (and swiftly out again!) he was interviewing someone about the clitoris! Prior
    to that he had someone on speaking about cooking placenta and how it tasted like beef!!!! :(

And as for his Crossfire TV quiz show - is there an embargo on women taking part?
    Have NEVER seen such a gender imbalance on ANY of the numerous quiz shows I have ever watched down through the years!! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭ivytwine

brooke 2 wrote: »
    Agree Moncrieff is intelligent but strikes me as a bit of a sexual pervert! Last time I tuned in (and swiftly out again!) he was interviewing someone about the clitoris! Prior
    to that he had someone on speaking about cooking placenta and how it tasted like beef!!!! :(

And as for his Crossfire TV quiz show - is there an embargo on women taking part?
    Have NEVER seen such a gender imbalance on ANY of the numerous quiz shows I have ever watched down through the years!! :(

A woman won on Monday night!

EDIT: Friday night!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

Hope no fat kid gets on or Ray will say, "ya need to do a bit of runnin, sure I had a paper round when I was your age".

The interview with your man, Lisa Fitzpatrick was a bit cringy. He just went on about loving booze and breakfast rolls.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,844 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

ivytwine wrote: »
    A woman won on Monday night!

EDIT: Friday night!

I have watched them all and 3 women have won far as I remember. An English woman won but never appeared on the next show to defend her title.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement