Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Ray D'Arcy Show Thread - Mod note Post # 1 Updated

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

That last girl on the Tinder panel sounds like an absolute wagon. Can't believe he read out a text licking her hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭JM Skipton

That last girl on the Tinder panel sounds like an absolute wagon. Can't believe he read out a text licking her hole.

Jaysis that last girl on Tinder wtf.........she is giving Irish girls a bad name.
    I'd say even the tide wouldn't take her out!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭popolive

D'Arsey

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭NotVeryHappy

This

I struggle to believe she wasn't taking the piss

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭reg114

Darcy being his usual obnoxious self in castigating Senator Noone over regulation of ice cream vans in an attempt to tackle childhood obesity. He tore strips off her theory and openly admitted he'd be rude to her if she had been available for comment, an appalling admission and one if the reasons why Darcy needs to get off the air.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

reg114 wrote: »
    Darcy being his usual obnoxious self in castigating Senator Noone over regulation of ice cream vans in an attempt to tackle childhood obesity. He tore strips off her theory and openly admitted he'd be rude to her if she had been available for comment, an appalling admission and one if the reasons why Darcy needs to get off the air.

The amount of people texting in saying how hard it was to say no to their kids was worse. Ffs, grow a spine…

I don't really think having to say no to the kids was the problem with the texters, but more so dealing with the tantrums that follow multiple times per day, every day of the week

I don't really think having to say no to the kids was the problem with the texters, but more so dealing with the tantrums that follow multiple times per day, every day of the week

If your kids are having multiple tantrums every day over you not letting them get a 99 from the ice cream van, you're doing it wrong.

If your kids are having multiple tantrums every day over you not letting them get a 99 from the ice cream van, you're doing it wrong.

OK not multiple tantrums every day but it increases the likelihood of kids getting annoyed/disrupts them. That's the message I got from the texts, not that the parents had problems saying no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭ivytwine

Kids have always had tantrums, we had tantrums growing up, every single one of us- if parents are good parents they don't give in.

• Advertisement

ivytwine wrote: »
    Kids have always had tantrums, we had tantrums growing up, every single one of us- if parents are good parents they don't give in.

I don't have kids but I agree. I'm just suggesting that the texters were saying that an ice cream van calling to the estate 4 times a day every day of the week during summer holidays made there lives (very slightly) unnecessarily difficult and they would prefer not having to deal with it

I don't have kids but I agree. I'm just suggesting that the texters were saying that an ice cream van calling to the estate 4 times a day every day of the week during summer holidays made there lives (very slightly) unnecessarily difficult and they would prefer not having to deal with it

That's true, but not to the extent of the moaning that went on today, people blaming icecream men for their kids being fat... I'm sure that's nothing to do with chicken nuggets and chips for dinner and plonking them down with a iPad!

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭reg114

ivytwine wrote: »
    That's true, but not to the extent of the moaning that went on today, people blaming icecream men for their kids being fat... I'm sure that's nothing to do with chicken nuggets and chips for dinner and plonking them down with a iPad!

In the context of the senators proposal, the spotlight was clearly on ice cream / sugar. Yes the causes of childhood obesity are multi-factorial , that wasn't in dispute. My initial post merely drew attention to Darcy's contempt for opposing opinions.

We probably have 2 ice cream vans come everyday to the estate but it doesn't make my life unnecessarily difficult because my kids don't come looking for money for ice cream off me because they know they won't get it.

In terms of the obesity issue, ice cream men aren't shoving the cones down your kids throats. If your kid's a bloater, it's not the ice cream man's fault. Take responsibility for your own kid's health and weight and learn how to fecking moderate.

reg114 wrote: »
    In the context of the senators proposal, the spotlight was clearly on ice cream / sugar. Yes the causes of childhood obesity are multi-factorial , that wasn't in dispute. My initial post merely drew attention to Darcy's contempt for opposing opinions.

I agree, and of course regulating the selling of ice-cream is not a bad thing. However some of the people texting in were ridiculous, and bad parents to boot.

I agree with you about Darcy squashing anyone who disagrees with him, by the way. I'd share his opinions on a fair amount of things- the Church for example. But he's very intolerant and it's not a good trait for a radio presenter to have.

Sen Noone is on now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭JM Skipton

I'm confused, a senator is on who is anti-obesity anti-sugar and an overall kill joy.......from Rays point of view whats not to like?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭Heckler

Is this a wind up ? Ice cream vans are to blame for fat kids ? A fecking 99 every now and again isn't going to do any harm. Let the parents regulate. No fat kids just fat enabling parents.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

In fairness to the Senator, I thought she was a bit batty when I read the quotes yesterday, but she was on the Matt Cooper show yesterday evening and she was just making the point about the amount of times ice cream vans were driving around estates on a given day and that in some cases it was after 8/9 o'clock in the evening, which is a bit much in fairness. We actually have laws prohibiting direct marketing junk food to kids on TV, so this would be similar to that.

All that said, the responsibility does lie with the parents, but Ray was being a total knob the way he was dismissing the Senator's comments this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Stepping Stone

BaZmO* wrote: »
    In fairness to the Senator, I thought she was a bit batty when I read the quotes yesterday, but she was on the Matt Cooper show yesterday evening and she was just making the point about the amount of times ice cream vans were driving around estates on a given day and that in some cases it was after 8/9 o'clock in the evening, which is a bit much in fairness. We actually have laws prohibiting direct marketing junk food to kids on TV, so this would be similar to that.

All that said, the responsibility does lie with the parents, but Ray was being a total knob the way he was dismissing the Senator's comments this morning.

This reminded me of my college days when at 11pm, on a cold, wet miserable night you would hear the ice cream van. I never gave it much thought until someone pointed out to me that it was a drug dealer. Then I noticed it. Started about 7 and kept going, circling one area. Must have driven parents crazy if their kids could hear it. Used to drive me mad. I hear one now and my blood pressure rises immediately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭irishmays

Just decided to finally turn off this fool of a dj, preacher or what the ****e he is. Calling the senators comments on the icecream vans as stupidity was a bit much. He's always harpen on about obesity and well everything really, and if she wants to do something even if it is for popular gain or for genuine reasons surly it's not 'stupidity'. Cop on ray and for gods sake stop talkin bout kids and crying on live radio! Ahh that felt good.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭popolive

We have such poor weather but from the way some people scapegoat ice cream vans you'd think we lived in Ibiza. The ice cream van has a very small number of days in the year to push his junk food. And even then they are sold during outdoor activity times when kids might actually burn up the sugar. I'd be more worried about the effects of soft drinks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Oh, here's the solution to everything - education. The schools have a bigger role to play! The schools are meant to correct every ill.

PARENTS are the primary educators.
    Maybe they need to look in the mirror and examine their own habits.

One ice cream doesn't make a child obese

However, the crap cereals that their parents are buying (because they are advertised as being low fat and having 5 grains etc)
    the sugar laden yoghurts and yoghurt drinks being pedalled as healthy food

the crap parents put into kids lunchboxes because they are too lazy to properly prepare a bit of fresh fruit and veg for them?
    and the sugar laden drinks that parents send kids to school with and give at home because they are 'handy'.
    white bread. white bread? its like cocaine to kids and probably has less nutritional value

what about the crap served for dinner? and the huge servings

go work in a supermarket and see the junk parents buy if you work on a till - fizzy drinks, crisps, white bread, pizzas,

parents need to get outside with their kids.
    turn off the tv, out to the park or garden, throw a ball to them, hop on the bike and get the kids moving.

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Michael Weston

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    Oh, here's the solution to everything - education. The schools have a bigger role to play! The schools are meant to correct every ill.

PARENTS are the primary educators.
    Maybe they need to look in the mirror and examine their own habits.

One ice cream doesn't make a child obese

However, the crap cereals that their parents are buying (because they are advertised as being low fat and having 5 grains etc)
    the sugar laden yoghurts and yoghurt drinks being pedalled as healthy food

the crap parents put into kids lunchboxes because they are too lazy to properly prepare a bit of fresh fruit and veg for them?
    and the sugar laden drinks that parents send kids to school with and give at home because they are 'handy'.
    white bread. white bread? its like cocaine to kids and probably has less nutritional value

what about the crap served for dinner? and the huge servings

go work in a supermarket and see the junk parents buy if you work on a till - fizzy drinks, crisps, white bread, pizzas,

parents need to get outside with their kids.
    turn off the tv, out to the park or garden, throw a ball to them, hop on the bike and get the kids moving.

Jesus it's like Ray wrote that comment himself!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,844 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

Reminds me of a tv theme tune, always thought it was a bit self-defeating as a tv slogan though....
    "Why Don't You Just Switch Off Your Television Set and Go Out and Do Something Less Boring Instead"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Jesus it's like Ray wrote that comment himself!

as a teacher, I see the laziness of parents everyday.

and society seems to think schools will turn everything around - diet, exercise, anti-bullying, being safe on the internet, preventing smoking, drinking

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Reminds me of a tv theme tune, always thought it was a bit self-defeating as a tv slogan though....
    "Why Don't You Just Switch Off Your Television Set and Go Out and Do Something Less Boring Instead"

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

I was pleasantly surprised to hear D'Arcy advocate parental responsibility re: the ice cream vans.

He did say "Oh if it was Coca-Cola now I'd be totally behind that!" though. :pac:

Other than that, really enjoyed that interview with the guy who had amnesia and went through the intervention and stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

God, that show. From Belfast, wasn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭RachaelVO

God, that show. From Belfast, wasn't it?

From all the different regions of the UK as far as I remember, kinda youth clubs from all their different regions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

Very good interview with Michel Roux.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement