Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Ray D'Arcy Show Thread - Mod note Post # 1 Updated

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Michael Weston

Someone's been messing with the desk again this morning, poor Ray having to work with all the people not knowing how to properly use the equipment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

After Mairead making up all the excuses saying it wasn't Rays fault, he goes and presses the wrong button again, Golden Brown a 3rd time.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,009 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

After Mairead making up all the excuses saying it wasn't Rays fault, he goes and presses the wrong button again, Golden Brown a 3rd time.
    i'd listen to golden brown all day

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

It always amazes me that he makes so many mistakes even though he's there full time. Then you have someone like Phil(in) Cawley who's schedule is all over the shop and he doesn't make any mistakes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

i'd listen to golden brown all day

Right show for you so;-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭lambayire

BaZmO* wrote: »
    It always amazes me that he makes so many mistakes even though he's there full time. Then you have someone like Phil(in) Cawley who's schedule is all over the shop and he doesn't make any mistakes.
    In fairness, Phil(in) is a proper DJ.

I was in studio with him one time as I was driving a guest around Dublin for a few days..

Phil's radio voice is totally different to his normal out of studio voice.

Quite bizarre but he's a really lovely chap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

lambayire wrote: »
    In fairness, Phil(in) is a proper DJ.

Yeah, but Ray has been sitting in that same spot for how many years now? Is it really that hard? I don't hear anyone else make mistakes as often. In fact, I've switched to TXFM from 8am to 5pm now for the past three or four months and I haven't heard a single blunder in all that time.

I do wonder sometimes if it's put on with Ray. Maybe he thinks it's funny?

100% agree with you.

It is quite unacceptable for Ray to cock-up as much as he does after so long in the job.
    I don't think it's put on.

I'd put someone else in charge of the desk like what they do when Ray goes on holidays
    and Mairead or whoever is running the show. When Ray Foley was on Today FM holidays,
    JP never controlled the desk.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

I think he just doesn't care. He has gotten comfortable and his numbers are still very good so he has nothing to worry about. Nothing is going to change until his numbers slide way down.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Vojera wrote: »
    Yeah, but Ray has been sitting in that same spot for how many years now? Is it really that hard? I don't hear anyone else make mistakes as often. In fact, I've switched to TXFM from 8am to 5pm now for the past three or four months and I haven't heard a single blunder in all that time.

I do wonder sometimes if it's put on with Ray. Maybe he thinks it's funny?

There is a difference in fairness.

(This is based on the assumption that Today FM are using RCS, a program I'm not overly familiar with but have a basic understanding of)

With music driven shows, it's very much a case of hit play on song, line up your bed and next track while that's playing. When the first track fades out, the bed fades in (or is a single button press away) and you talk over that. Then when you want the next track, you just hit next. Simples, you've oceans of time while songs are playing to plan what you're playing next.

But with the RDS, Ray seems to line up a song ready to go after he's done talking. Then, naturally enough, the conversation sometimes runs long, and it's time for an ad break instead of a song. So Ray instinctively presses next, realises it should be an ad break, and proceeds with the "Stop, stop, eject, eject." spiel.

It seems (at least to me) to be more of a lack of multi-tasking skills rather than ineptitude with the equipment.

If you listen carefully to when this stuff happens, it's often on the back of a guest in studio. Ray is probably giving his full attention to the guest as opposed to watching the clock and moving around stuff on the computer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭reg114

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    There is a difference in fairness.

(This is based on the assumption that Today FM are using RCS, a program I'm not overly familiar with but have a basic understanding of)

With music driven shows, it's very much a case of hit play on song, line up your bed and next track while that's playing. When the first track fades out, the bed fades in (or is a single button press away) and you talk over that. Then when you want the next track, you just hit next. Simples, you've oceans of time while songs are playing to plan what you're playing next.

But with the RDS, Ray seems to line up a song ready to go after he's done talking. Then, naturally enough, the conversation sometimes runs long, and it's time for an ad break instead of a song. So Ray instinctively presses next, realises it should be an ad break, and proceeds with the "Stop, stop, eject, eject." spiel.

It seems (at least to me) to be more of a lack of multi-tasking skills rather than ineptitude with the equipment.

If you listen carefully to when this stuff happens, it's often on the back of a guest in studio. Ray is probably giving his full attention to the guest as opposed to watching the clock and moving around stuff on the computer.

It sounds like bad planning coupled with poor time management, which is unacceptable on a national station.

Not sure I can be listening to this Mum talking.

Heartbreaking stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭ivytwine

Heartbreaking stuff.

The poor woman. :/

Heartbreaking stuff.

Awfully hard going, devastating stuff and I'll never understand how people can come back from something like that or just keep going on a daily basis. Poor woman.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,844 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

This is turning into the "where is my ring?" show

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭saggycaggy

Awfully hard going, devastating stuff and I'll never understand how people can come back from something like that or just keep going on a daily basis. Poor woman.

Not listening to the show at the minute-what happened her?? thanks.

saggycaggy wrote: »
    Not listening to the show at the minute-what happened her?? thanks.

She's the lady in kilkenny who's child was knocked down and killed. It was really heart breaking stuff as it must an for anybody in that situation

She's the lady in kilkenny who's child was knocked down and killed. It was really heart breaking stuff as it must an for anybody in that situation

It was extremely difficult to listen to. The poor woman though, such strength.

http://www.todayfm.com/Mammy-I-dont-want-to-die

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

Will is still playing up to the spoiler alert thing and making light of it. Feck sake, you were completely in the wrong, now shut up about it. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,009 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Will is still playing up to the spoiler alert thing and making light of it. Feck sake, you were completely in the wrong, now shut up about it. :mad:

Will is a bit like Richard Hammond from the Stewart Lee top gear piece

• Advertisement

They bribed me with a Bobblehead Ray to stop emailing them complaining about it. :P :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭thomas anderson.

They bribed me with a Bobblehead Ray to stop emailing them complaining about it. :P :D

Did you take the deal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

Thanks for that. I have no idea what goes into the actual mechanics of running a show so it was interesting to learn that.

Did you take the deal?

Yeah, I like the bobbleheads, I think they're cool. :)

I have three now, One of the big chunky ones from a good few years ago, and two of the newer smaller ones Probably on a blacklist in there now though. :pac:

The Rockford files theme tune brings back memories, I used to love sitting in my old man's lap to spend an hour watching it, Jim Garner was great in that role

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭R.F.

He officially annoyed me today with his MMA bashing. They guy hasn’t a clue. After what was a great night on Saturday, many people who don’t know the sport will take what he said this morning as gospel and disregard MMA as a sport.

R.F. wrote: »
    He officially annoyed me today with his MMA bashing. They guy hasn’t a clue. After what was a great night on Saturday, many people who don’t know the sport will take what he said this morning as gospel and disregard MMA as a sport.

I only caught the end of what he was saying but the fact still remains that the fight was stopped with one guy bent over another guy punching him in the head continuously until the referee stopped it. I appreciate the skill and athleticism that goes into the sport, but it's still a very violent sport.

I'd say the spear tackle on Brian O Driscoll was far worse with potentially worse consequence , and yet ray said rugby is not a violent sport. He just needs more balance and a little less bias.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,010 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

I'd say the spear tackle on Brian O Driscoll was far worse with potentially worse consequence , and yet ray said rugby is not a violent sport. He just needs more balance and a little less bias.

Or Brian O Driscoll's stamp on the Italian player a couple of years back. Or Cian Healys against England. That had potentially worse consequences too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭thomas anderson.

What an asshole, getting yer mans name wrong everytime

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement