Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Ray D'Arcy Show Thread - Mod note Post # 1 Updated

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Michael Weston

Calling him by the wrong name once is embarrassing enough, to do it twice though... he's very Alan partridge today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭sebcity

Calling him by the wrong name once is embarrassing enough, to do it twice though... he's very Alan partridge today

Very awkward!

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭joe6pack

What kind of a dope is Ray? He was interviewing a MMA fighter from 02 on Saturday night and got his name wrong twice and even read a text out that wasn't meant for him.
    Just shows you Ray could care less about the interview and just wanted to knock the sport and call it barbaric unlike rugby.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

That Cathal Pendred interview was terrible. I defend Ray on here from time to time but that was a disrespectful, unprofessional mess... Not to know his name. Embarrassing

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

That was just plain embarrassing. He couldn't even get his name right. His contisending tone during an interview is awful where he clearly doesn't like the interviewee or the topic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Ray D'arcy pushing his own agenda? Well I never. Pendred came across very well in what was a car crash interview. Informative and well argued against the MMA naysayers.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Yeah have to agree, that was awful.
    In fairness to Cathal he was very gracious and extremely articulate when defending his sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭Heckler

Rays bias is obvious and the fact he got his name wrong twice..............this and the fact his stop stop eject has become almost a supposedly endearing trait (its not) shows him to be an incompetent broadcaster. If it wasn't for the crying 50 stone truck drivers and sad asses dancing round the kitchen with the kids in tears he'd be gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 bryang

He just had Cathal Pendred on from the ufc and twice had to be told "my name is Cathal Ray, not Conor" and then proceeded to ask him if he thought it was ok that people paid to see mma even though it is violent . if I was yer man i would have said too right i think its ok " i've just paid my rent for the first time in months" but in fairness to him he managed to stay polite,and maybe more impressively, not give ray a roundhouse to the chops and say "you'll remember my name now you bolllix"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭heybaby

The worst thing about the show today is that Darcy started off the show tearing strips off the whole UFC phenomenon saying he disagreed with two blokes beating each other stupid, then proceeded to tell listeners he'd be interviewing one of the Irish fighters later in the show..

Surely it makes sense as a host and interviewer to suspend giving your own opinion on a subject for the sake of impartiality?
    It seems more and more the case that Darcy uses his show as a soapbox to rant against everything he disagrees with.

I didn't hear the subsequent interview in question but it doesn't surprise me at all that he was so dismissive of both a subject that disinterests him and his interviewee, he has plenty of previous form.
    Personally I think Darcy needs a break from radio, he's sounding jaded, world weary and disillusioned and his listeners are getting a subpar product.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Meangadh

Deedsie wrote: »
    That Cathal Pendred interview was terrible. I defend Ray on here from time to time but that was a disrespectful, unprofessional mess... Not to know his name. Embarrassing

Me too, I think people can be way too harsh here about Ray but that was terrible. I also have to say that I wouldn't be a fan of UFC at all but Cathal trains hard to be the best he can be at it and he spoke very well during what was an awful interview. I'm not saying Ray should pander to his guests but he needs to reel in his criticisms a bit. It just comes across as rude. And get the fella's name right anyway at the very least.

heybaby wrote: »
    The worst thing about the show today is that Darcy started off the show tearing strips off the whole UFC phenomenon saying he disagreed with two blokes beating each other stupid, then proceeded to tell listeners he'd be interviewing one of the Irish fighters later in the show..

Surely it makes sense as a host and interviewer to suspend giving your own opinion on a subject for the sake of impartiality?
    I thought that was very strange too and was quite surprised after hearing his rant that he was going to have someone on from the sport. If anything, it's just bad manners.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭nc6000

And apparently now the ad breaks are shorter during the summer! This seemed to catch him out earlier when he didn't have a song lined up to play and you get the usual nonsense of him talking through what he's doing while pressing buttons waiting for something to happen.

How come none of the other Today FM DJs have these issues with the equipment?

nc6000 wrote: »
    And apparently now the ad breaks are shorter during the summer! This seemed to catch him out earlier when he didn't have a song lined up to play and you get the usual nonsense of him talking through what he's doing while pressing buttons waiting for something to happen.

How come none of the other Today FM DJs have these issues with the equipment?
    I'd say because they're competent and proficient in their chosen career paths, I might be wrong, they could be messing around with the gear before the show to wreck rays head in the world's biggest wind up.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭lambayire

It's all ok though. There was family running and cycling yesterday.

All is well with the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

lambayire wrote: »
    It's all ok though. There was family running and cycling yesterday.

All is well with the world.

Yeah he had to get that in in the first 60 seconds this morning :D He also (without a hint of irony in his voice) said that he THINKS he is turning into a cranky old man. You hit that milestone about 5 years ago Ray ya gob****e.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

"I wonder where Rory got the loom band?"

Classic D'arcy

• Registered Users Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

eisenberg1 wrote: »
    "I wonder where Rory got the loom band?"

Classic D'arcy

Yeah heard that. According to Detective D'arcy Rory must have a niece :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 225 ✭✭Twas Not

Starting to feel sorry for him. He's clearly past it and too old for this now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

Twas Not wrote: »
    Starting to feel sorry for him. He's clearly past it and too old for this now
    He is bringing in listeners and corresponding ad revenue.

As long as both stay with him, he will remain the anchor broadcaster for Today FM.:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,009 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Just listening now....he mentions UFC in his vagina monologue...Cringe....Even the way he says "UFC" has contempt.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭sebcity

sebcity wrote: »

Can't wait for his retort during his vagina monologue (that cracks me up! :) ) tomorrow.

ah ray was caught out by that text!!! the text was obviously a joke about "conor not being himself"

Ray "are ya not yourself"
    Cathal "im not conor"

Ray "who is your audience?"
    Cathal "i don't them personally"

Ray got all defensive when rugby was mentioned!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭I Heart Internet

I'd have the same negative gut feeling towards MMA. The thing I reacll most clearly from the 3e coverage at the weekend was a man kneeling over a cowering man and punching him in the head. I'm sorry, for me, that's not a sport.

In saying that, Ray let himself and the station down there. To be honest there's no point saying, "he's meant to be impartial" becasue he's never impartial, about anything, his biases are always proudly on show.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭King Cantona

It´s not just the incorrect naming of the interviewee, (which although ridiculous can happen), that interview was lacking in very basic preparation or agenda. Dárcy clearly had no idea who the guy was or what he did - he asked him if he won at the weekend, what weight division he fought in and then asked if the sport was scripted like WWF -it was as if he was just walked by and someone told D´arcy there´s a wrestler / fighter guys coming in.

D´arcy had a condesending, uniterested tone and showed stuborness towards even trying to comprehend, counterargue or divulge Cathal´s points - he was just waiting on him to finish so he could get his next cheap shot in. As an MMA fan, I can understand the need to go back to basics to explain the sport to listeners that haven´t encountered it before - despite how annoying it must be for the lads being interviewed to do it everytime, but this interview was pure ignorance at the highest level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

He's getting it in the neck on Facebook over the interview. Looking forward to what he has to say about it tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

Synode wrote: »
    He's getting it in the neck on Facebook over the interview. Looking forward to what he has to say about it tomorrow

He will probably just blame the interviewee like he did with Jerry Seinfeld

Synode wrote: »
    can you link? i just saw one post and that was short and sweet....."Cvnt"

• Advertisement

can you link? i just saw one post and that was short and sweet....."Cvnt"

Seems to be getting deleted very quickly

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement