Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Ray D'Arcy Show Thread - Mod note Post # 1 Updated

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

I am amazed at anyone criticising Pendreds performance in that interview. He was extremely composed in what was an very poor and at times bizarre line of questioning.

The presenter hadn't the manners to learn his name. Who wouldn't be frustrated by that? I 100% disagree with cloudatlas comments over this interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

I was a listener to D'Arcy for years but in recent months I jump around between Pat Kenny and mainly Tubridy during that timeslot (with an occasional, short lived revisit to D'Arcy or others)

I can't fathom why anyone chooses D'Arcy anymore. Even those who are forced to listen to D'Arcy in work are forced to do so because others, actually the majority, have actually chosen D'Arcy :eek: I don't get it!

You might say Tubridy isn't brilliant - but he's miles and miles and miles ahead of D'Arcy now and he's far better on radio than on TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

cloudatlas wrote: »
    We're just going to have to agree to disagree. Cathal was rattled afterwards as he posted about it on social media. You can't let that show through I'm afraid, you can't let a poxy interview get to you like that. Even though the sport has been going for 20 years the majority of people in Ireland your common man, woman on the street don't know about it and assume it's dangerous. Ray served his listeners. Cathal did attempt to set some of that right by comparing MMA to rugby but he let did let it get to him. Even when Ray called him 'Conor' it was a dick move on Ray's part but I could hear Cathal getting annoyed and he can't let that show. I'll end it there. The media can be a bitch.

Do you think Score.ie would have even had an article about the interview if it hadn't been Ray's fault? No! If Cathal Pendred was a poor interviewee they wouldn't have wasted the cyberspace on it. Not everyone has media training.

Ray D'Arcy's utter unprofessionalism and myopic view of the sport completely made a hash of what could have been an informative and interesting interview. I say that as a fan of the show. Dwindling as my support may be.

I can't believe your defending your argument by pointing out this supposed loss of composure by Cathal Pendred. Ray D'Arcy consistently loses his composure in interviews by the way. And he's at it a hell of a lot longer than Cathal Pendred.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

Deedsie wrote: »
    I am amazed at anyone criticising Pendreds performance in that interview. He was extremely composed in what was an very poor and at times bizarre line of questioning.

The presenter hadn't the manners to learn his name. Who wouldn't be frustrated by that? I 100% disagree with cloudatlas comments over this interview.

So I guess Ray won't be taking over from Jimmy Magee or George Hamilton anytime soon. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,009 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Laois_Man wrote: »
    I was a listener to D'Arcy for years but in recent months I jump around between Pat Kenny and mainly Tubridy during that timeslot (with an occasional, short lived revisit to D'Arcy or others)

I can't fathom why anyone chooses D'Arcy anymore. Even those who are forced to listen to D'Arcy in work are forced to do so because others, actually the majority, have actually chosen D'Arcy :eek: I don't get it!

You might say Tubridy isn't brilliant - but he's miles and miles and miles ahead of D'Arcy now and he's far better on radio than on TV.
    I really despised Tubridy for years, however he's more humble nowadays and is holding his own, it may have taken 4 years but he's finally getting there....i listened to ray this morning and it was car crash radio....he was spouting rubbish

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Plenty of listeners were phoning in stating that they thought that MMA is dangerous, I don't think Ray was being selective about choosing those emails/texts. Wasn't that what Cathal was annoyed/rattled by, that he had to 'defend his sport'???

Again I don't think Ray is a good interviewer, presenter, journalist but Cathal seemed to think that nobody should ask him a question that is a little off the topics that Cathal wants to discuss.

Yes I do disagree with people on this thread about that no problem at all. If you are a sports man or sports woman you have to be prepared and view it as normal to speak about the good and the possible bad aspects of your sport no matter if the interviewer is an eejit or not.

Fact: Cathal was annoyed / rattled (whatever word you want to use if you are determined to split hairs). He didn't want to 'defend his sport'. He didn't want to talk about any aspect of the sport that may paint it in a negative light. That's a touch naive in my opinion, the media doesn't always shape their questions to please or flatter the interviewee.

Plenty of listeners were phoning in stating that they thought that MMA is dangerous, I don't think Ray was being selective about choosing those emails/texts. Wasn't that what Cathal was annoyed/rattled by, that he had to 'defend his sport'???

Again I don't think Ray is a good interviewer, presenter, journalist but Cathal seemed to think that nobody should ask him a question that is a little off the topics that Cathal wants to discuss.

Yes I do disagree with people on this thread about that no problem at all. If you are a sports man or sports woman you have to be prepared and view it as normal to speak about the good and the possible bad aspects of your sport no matter if the interviewer is an eejit or not.

Fact: Cathal was annoyed / rattled (whatever word you want to use if you are determined to split hairs). He didn't want to 'defend his sport'. He didn't want to talk about any aspect of the sport that may paint it in a negative light. That's a touch naive in my opinion, the media doesn't always shape their questions to please or flatter the interviewee.
    I actually think Cathal was blindsided a bit, and his issue was he wasn't expecting to have to defend his sport. He achieved something unreal this weekend and maybe he thought that was the reason he was being interviewed!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭McBain11

Jesus H Christ!! I'm going to guess by this response from you that you listened to possibly 1 minute of the interview, or more likely you did not hear a single minute of it and you are just on here blowing out of your own hole trying to stir up a bit of controversy.

Can somebody put up the link to the interview again, so this spoofer can stop 'spoofing' so to speak!!

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭lambayire

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

LOL at Ray going on a rant about civil servants saying that those that don't perform should be sacked. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭buckfasterer

"If you don't perform in your job you should get the boot"

Oh the irony!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭De Bhál

who's Ray interviewing at the moment about teenage pregnancy and mother and baby homes?

De Bhál wrote: »
    who's Ray interviewing at the moment about teenage pregnancy and mother and baby homes?

You mean who is Ray making a balls out of interviewing at the moment about teenage pregnancy and mother and baby homes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

The Labour TD, Anne Ferris.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭De Bhál

The Labour TD, Anne Ferris.

Thanks

Cannot believe he asked her did she get pregnant first time off.
    What a bizarre question to ask someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭mountain

Thanks

Is there no end to his crassness?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

It's a very small-town Irish way of thinking.

Are things escalating since Jenny left?

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Michael Weston

The show is a complete circus at this stage and Ray is the clown. The questions he comes up with are the most obscure ridiculous things a person could dream up. Did you get pregnant the first time? What possible insight did he hope to gain by asking that? He always finds a way to sound pervy and give an uncomfortable feeling to an interview. And he's like a programmed robot asking questions, just reads off a sheet and as the person is answering he's getting his next question ready regardless of what answer his guest gives. He is utterly clueless.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

McBain11 wrote: »
    Jesus H Christ!! I'm going to guess by this response from you that you listened to possibly 1 minute of the interview, or more likely you did not hear a single minute of it and you are just on here blowing out of your own hole trying to stir up a bit of controversy.

Can somebody put up the link to the interview again, so this spoofer can stop 'spoofing' so to speak!!

I listened to the interview I also read Cathal's tweet afterwards. A different opinion = controversy. Jesus H Christ it must be difficult to have a bit of a discussion with you. :pac:

• Advertisement

I find it a bit ridiculous that the discussion over one interview done on Monday is still the rage of discussion on Thursday.

I don't listen to D'Arcy much anymore. So I missed the interview on Monday. But my interest was perked up by the continuing debate on here about it - so I listened to the podcast yesterday evening.....and I have to say, the interview I was expecting to hear, based on reading a few pages of this thread, was very very different to what I actually heard.

"Get pregnant first time" does that mean preggers from intercourse...or does it literally mean "let's have a baby....ok.....there ya go"

(as in when a man like ray asks that question)

I find it a bit ridiculous that the discussion over one interview done on Monday is still the rage of discussion on Thursday.

I don't listen to D'Arcy much anymore. So I missed the interview on Monday. But my interest was perked up by the continuing debate on here about it - so I listened to the podcast yesterday evening.....and I have to say, the interview I was expecting to hear, based on reading a few pages of this thread, was very very different to what I actually heard.
    It's over now...if ya watched the fights/buildup/post fight press and then tuned into ray to hear cathal it sounded awful...

if ya watched the fights/buildup/post fight press

I have to say I didn't - I was busy on Saturday night - and even if I wasn't, I don't think I would have been interested.

But the audience for that press - and the audience for The Ray The Arsey show are very different audiences in fairness. The former is for an audience where near 100% of those watching are interested in and at least somewhat knowledgeable about the sport and its participants. The latter audience, I think it's reasonable to assume, is far far lower than 100%.

I have to say I didn't - I was busy on Saturday night - and even if I wasn't, I don't think I would have been interested.

But the audience for that press - and the audience for The Ray The Arsey show are very different audiences in fairness. The former is for an audience where near 100% of those watching are interested in and at least somewhat knowledgeable about the sport and its participants. The latter audience, I think it's reasonable to assume, is far far lower than 100%.
    i know...but if they did they would be disappointed with the interview. Hence the posts.

(for example ...tubridy has a great time with the UFC guys)

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,724 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

The show is a complete circus at this stage and Ray is the clown. The questions he comes up with are the most obscure ridiculous things a person could dream up. Did you get pregnant the first time? What possible insight did he hope to gain by asking that? He always finds a way to sound pervy and give an uncomfortable feeling to an interview. And he's like a programmed robot asking questions, just reads off a sheet and as the person is answering he's getting his next question ready regardless of what answer his guest gives. He is utterly clueless.

Is this some kind of obscure ironic joke?

yeah I really didn't get the point of that question - what difference would that make either way? And Anne Ferris was taken aback and there was a silence before she could answer.... what a stupid thing to ask? I dont get it.

He obviously got a lot of complaints about it as he mentioned it again. Didn't quite apologise though, instead he said that he didn't mean to cause offence, he was just trying to understand the nature of the relationship, and he rolled out his usual defence that the guest didn't seem to have taken offence.

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭mikep

I trhink the shows this week so far have all been dreadful, the worst I've ever heard from him...and that's saying something!:eek:
    His interview today on the adoption issue was just embarrassing for him and the team. I honestly couldn't believe the questions he asked and the obvious lack of preparation for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Michael Weston

Is this some kind of obscure ironic joke?

The mobile site sometimes posts more than once

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement