Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Ray D'Arcy Show Thread - Mod note Post # 1 Updated

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Michael Weston

I don't know if you could make that assumption tbh. I think he was a bit sh¡tty with the way he signed off that interview. He really needs to sort that research out and get a decent set of questions beforehand and not leave it to questions from the listeners because it becomes a complete shambles.

Won't happen often but I don't think you could fault Ray too much there, that Vivian guy set the tone for that interview he came across as indignant and defensive throughout. He probably needs to get laid ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Meangadh

I actually felt kind of sorry for Ray there, they were impossible to interview! Trying to understand asexuality and yet they wouldn't answer questions about arousal and the physical side of things. I understand it's very personal but surely that's the most basic side to sexual attraction. Not the be all and end all, but certainly a huge part.

When people were asking questions, they only did so to understand, not to ridicule or condescend- I mean it is difficult for most of us to understand. They were just rude in most of their answers, almost indignant that people would dare to question it. Why did they come on then, what did they expect to happen?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Meangadh wrote: »
    I actually felt kind of sorry for Ray there, they were impossible to interview! Trying to understand asexuality and yet they wouldn't answer questions about arousal and the physical side of things. I understand it's very personal but surely that's the most basic side to sexual attraction. Not the be all and end all, but certainly a huge part.

When people were asking questions, they only did so to understand, not to ridicule or condescend- I mean it is difficult for most of us to understand. They were just rude in most of their answers, almost indignant that people would dare to question it. Why did they come on then, what did they expect to happen?

I guess the problem was that most questions were about figuring out what their problem was when they wouldn't see their sexuality as a problem, it's just how they are. It probably would have been a bit of a car crash but a bit of research, reacting to how pissed off the interviewees were getting and not repeating the same questions over from the listeners might have helped somewhat.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭NotVeryHappy

Bar the "are your parents still together" question it wasn't that bad an interview from Ray

He did fine with very tough guests. Vivian took offence at everything and was extremely condescending. The interview was on asexuality. aSEXuality. Of course there's there's going to be some personal questions in there and if you don't want to answer them fair enough, be polite and move on. Instead the guests felt insulted.

The vast majority of the population don't differentiate between romance/attraction/arousal as they are so interlinked and we don't spend the day looking up textbook definitions of each of them because it's not really relevant to us. But because it is relevant to the guests they've spent a load of time reading, try to understand and define these terms. Just because we don't understand, yet want to understand doesn't make us rude and stupid like Vivian seemed to think.

Bar the "are your parents still together" question it wasn't that bad an interview from Ray

He did fine with very tough guests. Vivian took offence at everything and was extremely condescending. The interview was on asexuality. aSEXuality. Of course there's there's going to be some personal questions in there and if you don't want to answer them fair enough, be polite and move on. Instead the guests felt insulted.

The vast majority of the population don't differentiate between romance/attraction/arousal as they are so interlinked and we don't spend the day looking up textbook definitions of each of them because it's not really relevant to us. But because it is relevant to the guests they've spent a load of time reading, try to understand and define these terms. Just because we don't understand, yet want to understand doesn't make us rude and stupid like Vivian seemed to think.

Tbf, the guy Vivian was a bit of a dick…

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Still Ill

I got the distinct feeling that the asexuals feel they are quite superior to us mere mortals who waste our time thinking about frivolous things like sex.

Still Ill wrote: »
    I got the distinct feeling that the asexuals feel they are quite superior to us mere mortals who waste our time thinking about frivolous things like sex.

Kinda like Ray except with chips instead of sex!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

That asexual interview this morning was so awkward. You'd swear Ray had had Vivian locked in an interrogation room for weeks before the interview and was asking for the series of events just one more time.

The "are your parents still married" question was pretty desperate but Ray was obviously going down the whole "maybe you didn't have a good model of romantic relationships" thing.

Both sides contributed to how messy it was. A kind of hostile guest, poor mic work (were the two of them sharing a mic?) and Ray being flaily.

Still Ill wrote: »

I didn't get that feeling at all from your man Oscar who seemed quite friendly and willing to talk at the beginning but I think Vivian would have had that attitude irrespective of his sexuality.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Meangadh

Yeah I agree- I'd say Vivien would argue with his shadow. I know it must get frustrating for people to question your asexuality, but the listeners (and Ray) were questioning out of curiosity and the will to understand it, as opposed to questioning it to dismiss it. Which was the point of them coming on the show, surely? Not to defend yourself but to help people understand?

And if you don't care or don't even want people to understand then don't go on national radio about it, just go live your life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,005 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Caught most of that interview this morning and I must say I felt sorry for D'Arcy. That Vivian (Vivienne?) came across very badly, like was mentioned above it was a case of "you mean you still cant understand a-sexual, a-romantic".

Maybe at the next meeting of the A-sexual association of Ireland (to be held in in a phonebox somewhere in Dublin city centre) they could come up A-sexuals for Dummies manual.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭Doctor Strange

BPKS wrote: »
    Caught most of that interview this morning and I must say I felt sorry for D'Arcy. That Vivian (Vivienne?) came across very badly, like was mentioned above it was a case of "you mean you still cant understand a-sexual, a-romantic".

Maybe at the next meeting of the A-sexual association of Ireland (to be held in in a phonebox somewhere in Dublin city centre) they could come up A-sexuals for Dummies manual.

Whatever about how someone came across in an interview, this dismissive attitude is a load of crap.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,583 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

I didn't get that feeling at all from your man Oscar who seemed quite friendly and willing to talk at the beginning but I think Vivian would have had that attitude irrespective of his sexuality.

What? ???

Was that two men? ?

I would have sworn that oscar was a woman and Vivian was a guy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 225 ✭✭Twas Not

sydthebeat wrote: »
    What? ???

Was that two men? ?

I would have sworn that oscar was a woman and Vivian was a guy.

It was a lass and a lad I thought? Oscar the grumpy one and Vivienne was the lass

• Subscribers Posts: 41,583 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Twas Not wrote: »
    It was a lass and a lad I thought? Oscar the grumpy one and Vivienne was the lass

other way round was the way i got it.....

sydthebeat wrote: »
    other way round was the way i got it.....

One was a lass though ?

No, it was two lads. Ray was asking your man Oscar about erections and your man Vivian was told he should join the priesthood.

No, it was two lads. Ray was asking your man Oscar about erections and your man Vivian was told he should join the priesthood.

They don't sound like two men. I did miss the start tbh

Twas Not wrote: »
    They don't sound like two men. I did miss the start tbh

From the Today FM twitter account:
    Ray's speaking to Oscar and Vivien, two guys in their 20's, who are both asexual which means that they do not experience sexual attraction.

https://twitter.com/todayfmofficial/status/494402970529062912

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

I heard the interview today and thought Ray was quite patronizing.
    I don't blame the interviewees for being 'defensive'.
    I though Oscar was a girl.

Why was the sound so bad? How much printing would they have to do?

• Advertisement

Whatever about how someone came across in an interview, this dismissive attitude is a load of crap.

D'Arcy asked them who many people were members of the group and they refused to answer it.

To be honest, straight away this came to mind:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gb_qHP7VaZE

D'Arcy asked them who many people were members of the group and they refused to answer it.

To be honest, straight away this came to mind:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gb_qHP7VaZE

What difference does knowing how many people are in the group going to make?

I'm not sure what the Monty Python sketch has to do with it either tbh…

Whatever happened to the Popular Front?

He's over there.

Whatever happened to the Popular Front?

He's over there.

So if, like they estimated, that maybe only 1% of the population could be considered asexual, does that invalidate who they are because they're are so few of them? Like Doctor Strange said, that's very dismissive.

I think the point he was making was how the Vivian guy was so dismissive of people asking questions about his lifestyle much like the gentleman at the start of the clip, when asked are you the people's Judean front he replied with fack off. It's like he wanted the attention but not to explain it to people.

I could easily see the similarities and it's just a bit of humour.

I think the point he was making was how the Vivian guy was so dismissive of people asking questions about his lifestyle much like the gentleman at the start of the clip, when asked are you the people's Judean front he replied with fack off. It's like he wanted the attention but not to explain it to people.

I could easily see the similarities and it's just a bit of humour.

Dismiss the guy Vivien all you want, he did come across like a bit of an ass and it was pointless him going on the radio to speak about it when he was guarded and exasperated by curiosity, but BPKS was dismissing everyone who was asexual when he said:

Dismiss the guy Vivien all you want, he did come across like a bit of an ass and it was pointless him going on the radio to speak about it when you was guarded and exasperated by curiosity, but BPKS was dismissing everyone who was asexual when he said:

Am no I wasn't.

The points I was making was that it appears that there are not too many members of the association or group representing asexuals.

And if they are not going to explain it without taking umbrage to most questions on national radio, then they should prepare a manual for the general public who find it difficult to understand (Like Changing a Wheel for Dummies or French for Dummies or Computers for Dummies books you see).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Would a heterosexual ever be asked to endorse their sexuality in the same way?
    No. They were right not to answer certain questions IMO.

Am no I wasn't.

The points I was making was that it appears that there are not too many members of the association or group representing asexuals.

And if they are not going to explain it without taking umbrage to most questions on national radio, then they should prepare a manual for the general public who find it difficult to understand (Like Changing a Wheel for Dummies or French for Dummies or Computers for Dummies books you see).

You're still being dismissive. You're taking the attitudes of one person and extrapolating it to cover an entire group. It's like saying I met a gay lad once and he was a dickhead therefore all gay people are dickheads.

Generally, if I find something difficult to understand, I use the amazing power of Google…

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭HooohRaaah

Any word on how Ray did in the JNLR?
    Last time he blamed the decrease on emigration. If his listenership somehow increases then there must be plenty of people returning to the country

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement