Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Ray D'Arcy Show Thread - Mod note Post # 1 Updated

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Horse84

In all seriousness the man has hormonal issues like an oestrogen imbalance or something surely?

his favourite slot of the week is the 4 year old kids asking questions on Fridays???? like "why is the sky blue?"
    Ehhhh seriously?? I am off work Fridays and tuned in after only the odd Podcast catch up in months and this is it??

Its utterly boring...... good stuff on Newstalk this morning - it just seems to sound intelligent compared to D'arcy. And at least Pat Kenny listens to the answers of the person he is interviewing. So does Moncrieff..... listen to him sometime..... he never ever interjects..... brilliant listener and interviewer.

Give it up Ray - you are running out of steam, ideas and enthusiasm. Its sounds so tired and "done" at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

School around the corner is good today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Who wants to listen to this shíte? Kids are only amusing to their parents and relatives. No one else cares.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭baldbear

gimmick wrote: »
    Who wants to listen to this shíte? Kids are only amusing to their parents and relatives. No one else cares.

I wonder does Ray have kids?;-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

New one today, Ray , I'm dancin in the car. Must be a dwarf, and he's obviously Happy��

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

New one today, Ray , I'm dancin in the car. Must be a dwarf, and he's obviously Happy��

Maybe it was "The Hokey Cokey":D

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Michael Weston

Three weeks ray free!!! It's well for us ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭Heckler

D'arcy pretty much admitting hes burned out. Oh the pressure of hosting a light entertainment radio show on a six figure salary. Fcking twat.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 225 ✭✭Twas Not

Heckler wrote: »
    D'arcy pretty much admitting hes burned out. Oh the pressure of hosting a light entertainment radio show on a six figure salary. Fcking twat.

He's not a young man any more. Its not The Den from the 90s. What is he? In his fifties?

• Advertisement

In fairness he's a brave man giving someone a three week trial in his slot.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭nc6000

What did he say about this 3 week break?

nc6000 wrote: »
    What did he say about this 3 week break?

He basically said his brain is mush from fatigue and he's taking the rest of the month off and coming back in September.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

He basically said his brain is mush from fatigue and he's taking the rest of the month off and coming back in September.

He needs to start going to bed early...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 225 ✭✭Twas Not

That Oliver Callan sketch really must have hit him hard.

eisenberg1 wrote: »
    He needs to start going to bed early...

I'd say if he went to bed any earlier he'd meet himself getting up!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭JM Skipton

He should take up jogging it is brilliant for the brain

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Just think, he'll be back in September all refreshed........with loads of stories of what he got up to with the kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,053 ✭✭✭✭neris

had the misfortune to have to hear darcy this morning after months of not having to listen to him. Sweet jesus the guys a pleb. Started out with an ad for his poxy ego inflating runs then the shows the same aul muck as the last time i heard, Ray lecturing on sugar and salt and telling us that life without them is boring but healthier, the back slapping "we helped a listener out" slot, the back slapping "we set 2 people up slot" and kids, his obsession with kids is weird. Hopfully 3 weeks is just a cover for "ive been let go"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

He really is trying to be the new Joe Duffy,even trying to imitate his length of holidays.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Who's covering for ray?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭nc6000

neris wrote: »
    had the misfortune to have to hear darcy this morning after months of not having to listen to him. Sweet jesus the guys a pleb. Started out with an ad for his poxy ego inflating runs then the shows the same aul muck as the last time i heard, Ray lecturing on sugar and salt and telling us that life without them is boring but healthier, the back slapping "we helped a listener out" slot, the back slapping "we set 2 people up slot" and kids, his obsession with kids is weird. Hopfully 3 weeks is just a cover for "ive been let go"

Eh, Is that not a bit OTT?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

Does that mean you'll take the rest of the month off too Michael? :D:D

You're joint top for the most comments in this thread now! Not bad, considering you hate the show! :pac:

I'm only having bit of fun in case you think I'm slagging you off! :)

5BAnRc.png

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Had to laugh this morning at him saying that all the healthy food and running would "Make life very boring. But at least you'd be healthy.".

Yeah, because being healthy and living 90+ years, the last few of which you'll probably need someone to wipe your arse for you is definitely worth not enjoying a bag of chips and a tin of coke every now and again. :P

It's good he's taking time out if he's not feeling up to it. To be honest, I'd say Jenny leaving the show has hit him a bit harder than he's letting on. A lot of the fun he used have was with her. But that's just my amateur psychology.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭ivytwine

I'd say if he went to bed any earlier he'd meet himself getting up!!

Best phrase ever!

I've short shrift for him being burnt out to be honest. We all would love a couple of weeks to sit at home, but he's lucky he can afford to and Today FM are clearly understanding enough to let him. However, it's not like he's a doctor or a guard or a steel worker or doing overnights in a customer service department like yours truly. He has a pretty nice job. Feck it, I'll take it off his hands, and I actually know how to work a radio desk!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

I haven't been enjoying the show lately, compared to how I used to but I would say, if he's burned out, he's burned out. I won't criticise him for that, if even on the surface he would appear to have a less stressful job than certain chosen careers.

We don't know what else he has going on in his life, and maybe he does listen to the criticisms from here and elsewhere and has decided to take a step back and if that's the case then it's a good idea imo. I know he has a big team around him, but Ray seems to be the type to take a lot on his shoulders, and besides the actual live radio show there is a lot goes on behind the scenes in his show I'd be sure of that and he has the odd TV gig/crusade too.

I just hope he does come back refreshed, with a more positive outlook and reflects on what the show needs to do to increase its longevity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭ivytwine

I haven't been enjoying the show lately, compared to how I used to but I would say, if he's burned out, he's burned out. I won't criticise him for that, if even on the surface he would appear to have a less stressful job than certain chosen careers.

We don't know what else he has going on in his life, and maybe he does listen to the criticisms from here and elsewhere and has decided to take a step back and if that's the case then it's a good idea imo. I know he has a big team around him, but Ray seems to be the type to take a lot on his shoulders, and besides the actual live radio show there is a lot goes on behind the scenes in his show I'd be sure of that and he has the odd TV gig/crusade too.

I just hope he does come back refreshed, with a more positive outlook and reflects on what the show needs to do to increase its longevity.

Fair point, I was approaching it from the point of someone with a ****e job. I hope you're right, there does seem to be a reluctance to change and maybe the time off will give him time to reflect. His heart doesn't seem to be in a lot of it at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭swiftman

Any up in dublin will be seeing ray walk the streets from supermacs to mcdonalds to 4 star. he'll be on a wild one. he'll prob be drinking places too.

on a serious not, im at a catch 22.
    will i listen for 3 weeks to boost listeners for the person filling in for ray, so it will make ray bad if its increased alot OR if there is an increase will ray claim at the end of the year that HIS numbers are up

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

swiftman wrote: »
    Any up in dublin will be seeing ray walk the streets from supermacs to mcdonalds to 4 star. he'll be on a wild one. he'll prob be drinking places too.

on a serious not, im at a catch 22.
    will i listen for 3 weeks to boost listeners for the person filling in for ray, so it will make ray bad if its increased alot OR if there is an increase will ray claim at the end of the year that HIS numbers are up

It probably won't make a difference either way, as the JNLR surveys aren't for another while given the last book is just out.

• Advertisement

Does that mean you'll take the rest of the month off too Michael? :D:D

You're joint top for the most comments in this thread now! Not bad, considering you hate the show! :pac:

I'm only having bit of fun in case you think I'm slagging you off! :)

5BAnRc.png

Ha ha damn you Bazmo I will get top ;-)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement