Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Ray D'Arcy Show Thread - Mod note Post # 1 Updated

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Tuned in this week, knowing Ray was off. Loving Paul McLoone. He sounds like a man with a plan who is 100% confident that he can work the equipment. He says we will have this song, go to a break and be back...and that is exactly what happens. No stop sop eject, no mentions of being late for a break, no stuttering, no messing.

I know that this is the industry standard, but it is just lovely to hear on this station, in this slot. High time that Ray got his P45 and just concentrated his efforts on becoming even more dry and withered.
    Paul made a balls Of the desk twice today and was late too the news twice hardly perfect!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

McLoone is very good but I doubt he would appeal to a lot of D'arcy's audience.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

Tuned in this week, knowing Ray was off. Loving Paul McLoone. He sounds like a man with a plan who is 100% confident that he can work the equipment. He says we will have this song, go to a break and be back...and that is exactly what happens. No stop sop eject, no mentions of being late for a break, no stuttering, no messing.

I think you've jinxed Paul! Since you posted he has been late for the news, played jingles and songs over each other a couple of times and now they can't get Daithi O Se on the phone!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I think you've jinxed Paul! Since you posted he has been late for the news, played jingles and songs over each other a couple of times and now they can't get Daithi O Se on the phone!

Ha, was thinking the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭PIORUN

Where are Dermot and Dave from 98fm going to fit in with Today fm...Raymond is hardy getting the heave ho is he? And Louise Duffy is only in that slot a wet week.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭sebcity

PIORUN wrote: »
    Where are Dermot and Dave from 98fm going to fit in with Today fm...Raymond is hardy getting the heave ho is he? And Louise Duffy is only in that slot a wet week.

I'd say Ray will stay put.
    D&D will go in 12-2.30
    Louise will be moved to 2.30 - 4.30

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Stepping Stone

Argh! Sorry Paul, you were amazing til I posted. :o:(

Seriously though, Daithi and the Rose of Tralee crap...as a Kerry woman, I can safely say that the RoT is a potent combination of 1950s values inside the dome and the worst dregs of society congregating outside to take advantage of the visitors. It needs warnings like the Red Luas line (Pickpockets will be in operation in the area), just like it's warm up act down the road, Puck Fair. Daithi is a bloody disgrace. On a side note, I have heard that before he was famous, he had a very standard west Kerry accent and this monstrous accent only came out of the woodwork when he hit the big(ish) time. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Michael Weston

Christy Moore was on with Ian Dempsey this morning, when Christy made a witty retort Ian let out a big aaaaaah yeah. I was thinking, Jesus Christ that sounded just like Ray!!! Quick as a flash Ian said Jesus I sounded just like Raydarcy doing the Ah Yeah.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Christy Moore was on with Ian Dempsey this morning, when Christy made a witty retort Ian let out a big aaaaaah yeah. I was thinking, Jesus Christ that sounded just like Ray!!! Quick as a flash Ian said Jesus I sounded just like Raydarcy doing the Ah Yeah.

You do know that that wasn't actually Christy Moore?

• Subscribers Posts: 41,582 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

BaZmO* wrote: »

Lol mario does a great Christy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,005 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

McLoone is very good but I doubt he would appeal to a lot of D'arcy's audience.

Exactly.

I doubt there are too many mothers dancing around the kitchen with their 10 month old child with tears in their Eyes listening to Bloodbuzz Ohio by the National at the moment.

Brilliant music this week but obviously not to the taste of the target audience (who like Rihanna, Paulo Nutini and Coldplay. Oh and U2).

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭PIORUN

sebcity wrote: »
    I'd say Ray will stay put.
    D&D will go in 12-2.30
    Louise will be moved to 2.30 - 4.30
    ah no when I hear stuff like that I worry about Tony Fentons health :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭JM Skipton

BPKS wrote: »
    Exactly.

I doubt there are too many mothers dancing around the kitchen with their 10 month old child with tears in their Eyes listening to Bloodbuzz Ohio by the National at the moment.

Brilliant music this week but obviously not to the taste of the target audience (who like Rihanna, Paulo Nutini and Coldplay. Oh and U2).

I'm part of the Ray D'Arcy audience and I'm not a mother, can't dance, not fortunate enough to be 6 ft 10, don't own a truck, haven't cried since Roy Keane was sent home from Saipan, don't feel the need to be setup on a blind date, don't have a mad trip planned around the world in a dustbin with two of my mates while desperately seeking attention and don't even know what Bloodbuzz Ohio is.... so there are other people that listen;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

Exactly.

D'Arcy has played Depeche Mode several times first thing in the morning, as well Joy division, Black keys etc. He was one of the first to support Hozier. Even got him in studio for that fantastic cover of Led Zep.

So the above is nonsense.

Problem with this thread is that the constant criticism weakens any valid criticism of the show.

Be it perceived change in music/mcclone not making mistakes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Darcy bugs the shít out of me, but his show is not all that bad. Music wise I think he is far from the worst. He isn't constant chart hitz and the like.

It is decent light entertainment, but in recent weeks he has really annoyed me. His time on air with Cathal Pendred was beyond cringe. His kids questions slot is horrible and his preaching is becoming ever more unbearable.

But the worst is yet to come. He reaches his absolute apex preacher/faux nice guy mode around Christmas time when he reads peoples sob stories and cries, or at least has a crackled voice, while reading them. These are the same stories that he reads throughout the year and there are no tears. Strikes me as completely disingenuous and two faced.

He has a cult following though and The Cult Of Ray is as strong as ever, so I cannot imagine he is going anywhere any time soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Michael Weston

BaZmO* wrote: »

I really didn't , I only switched on just as it ended and that's when it happened ha he really is very good :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,005 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

nerraw1111 wrote: »
    D'Arcy has played Depeche Mode several times first thing in the morning, as well Joy division, Black keys etc. He was one of the first to support Hozier. Even got him in studio for that fantastic cover of Led Zep.

So the above is nonsense.

Problem with this thread is that the constant criticism weakens any valid criticism of the show.

Be it perceived change in music/mcclone not making mistakes.

Good point - in fairness to D'Arcy he does play some decent stuff but I suppose he also has to mix it up with crappy chart stuff which probably isn't his choice.

My point is that McCloone didn't succumb to playing that crappy chart stuff but that isn't viable in the long term, cos the target audience of mothers dancing around the kitchen with tears in their eyes (and Michael Weston:D)aren't usually fans of alternative music so they have to play what the audience wants I suppose.

I've probably contradicted myself big time;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭ivytwine

Good point - in fairness to D'Arcy he does play some decent stuff but I suppose he also has to mix it up with crappy chart stuff which probably isn't his choice.

My point is that McCloone didn't succumb to playing that crappy chart stuff but that isn't viable in the long term, cos the target audience of mothers dancing around the kitchen with tears in their eyes (and Michael Weston:D)aren't usually fans of alternative music so they have to play what the audience wants I suppose.

I've probably contradicted myself big time;)

I agree with you. I also don't think Paul McLoone himself would be happy to host a show where the music takes a back seat.

Love his evening show so very happy to hear him in the mornings!

Paul McLoone is great and has a far more "listenable" voice (is that a word?) than Ray. Very sexy accent. He is naturally funny at times and doesnt crack up laughing at himself. With Ray its all forced and innuendo - you always know its coming!!
    I used to be a big Ray fan but its just not working anymore. For a 50 year old man waaaay too much kids talk and baby stuff. Here I've said all this before in past threads...... all the sob stories etc etc, it wear thin after a while.
    A very stale format which needs a good shake up. In the meantime I'm listening Paul :-)

Anyone else sick of Mcloone's "funny" voices?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

MrMac84 wrote: »

Nope, I cracked up at his Pat Kenny impression this morning!

No - he's very funny without really trying i.e. Pat Kenny!

dont knock everyone - nobody's perfect (just a lot better than Ray) :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

I heard him give up on his impression of Jack Charlton before he'd even got through the first sentence.
    Look, Ray can be tedious but having McLoone in these mornings is like having the cool H Dip student for a couple of weeks during term - it's not gonna last.
    Eventually, even the hip young gun (say, Ray 12 years ago) becomes a boring old fart - that's the nature of the job.

I heard him give up on his impression of Jack Charlton before he'd even got through the first sentence.
    Look, Ray can be tedious but having McLoone in these mornings is like having the cool H Dip student for a couple of weeks during term - it's not gonna last.
    Eventually, even the hip young gun (say, Ray 12 years ago) becomes a boring old fart - that's the nature of the job.

mmm dunno.....I think Sean Moncrieff is brillliant and never sounds boring or tedious - he's a good few years in the job? And he listens rather than butting in all the time.
    Pat Kenny could be called boring (I dont think so) but he has very good material to work on and his researchers are obviously doing a good job. Never hear him talking about babies, dancing around the truck (sorry table :D) or crying into his cornflakes......
    I dont agree its the nature of the job..... its your attitude and also the material you work with (aka your researchers!)

mmm dunno.....I think Sean Moncrieff is brillliant and never sounds boring or tedious - he's a good few years in the job? And he listens rather than butting in all the time.
    Pat Kenny could be called boring (I dont think so) but he has very good material to work on and his researchers are obviously doing a good job. Never hear him talking about babies, dancing around the truck (sorry table :D) or crying into his cornflakes......
    I dont agree its the nature of the job..... its your attitude and also the material you work with (aka your researchers!)

Ah, I guess I didn't make myself very clear: McLoone is just a little too cool for school, while Moncrieff and Kenny aren't afraid to show how hard they work.
    McL's laidback charm works better - I think - after dark when the music nerds come out to play.

Ah, I guess I didn't make myself very clear: McLoone is just a little too cool for school, while Moncrieff and Kenny aren't afraid to show how hard they work.
    McL's laidback charm works better - I think - after dark when the music nerds come out to play.

"cool for school" works for me ;)

Alison Curtis in today

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 225 ✭✭Twas Not

Alison Curtis in today
    Oh god ! The forced guffawing makes me spew.

• Advertisement

Alison Curtis in today

straight over to Newstalk - cant listen to that accent :eek:

PAUL........where are you? Come back !!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement