Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Ray D'Arcy Show Thread - Mod note Post # 1 Updated

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭johnire

OMG WHO is that woman Sonia.????

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Horse84

Sad sells, and women love to cry, if you ask a woman when she gets home from the cinema if a movie was good and they say it was only alright, then that means they haven't cried, if their reply is it was amazing or fantastic then ask them if they cried and they will have cried.
    Darcys demographic is 25-45 year old women who love to cry and love drama, he's playing upto them with this tear jerking ****e and that is why his numbers are growing because stay at home mom's and offices full of oestrogen filled women are lapping it up.

Generalisation it may be but I think there's more than a small bit of truth in that post. It's not popular saying it but you definitely have made a good point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭johnire

I agree with everything you have said.
    Unfortunatly I'm in an office enviiroment where I'm forced to listen to this rubbish.
    I see it everyday ...the female workers totally lap up the teary stuff.
    I do have every sympathy for those people who have had awful things happen but is a show like this the right forum to talk about it? I really don't think so. They are allowing themselves to be manipulated and used purely to boost ratings and to give the presenter a degree of self importance that quite frankly they don't deserve.
    Seriously......in all honesty how can you listen to somebody's heartbreak and then start talking about cleaning an oven 5 seconds later???
    It's all about using peoples hard luck stories for your own gain and I really really don't understand why people allow this.

Sad sells, and women love to cry, if you ask a woman when she gets home from the cinema if a movie was good and they say it was only alright, then that means they haven't cried, if their reply is it was amazing or fantastic then ask them if they cried and they will have cried.
    Darcys demographic is 25-45 year old women who love to cry and love drama, he's playing upto them with this tear jerking ****e and that is why his numbers are growing because stay at home mom's and offices full of oestrogen filled women are lapping it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

The Cult Of Ray Darcy is certainly dominated by women. That is beyond doubt. Most will refer to him as simply "Ray" as many feel they have an emotional connection with him because he is such a nice guy. The man goes far out of his way to come across as vanilla as possible. He has a very calculated personality.

This personality comes out stronger at times when he believes people will lap it up even more. Wait for the Christmas sob stories. Sad as they are, Darcy uses these to boost his image of a caring man of the world. The crackled voice, the "sorry I had to stop to hold back the tears" is so pre determined by him. These same sob stories would be told in Summer and not a bother on him.

He is extremely good at creating and growing this image.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Strongbow10

gimmick wrote: »
    The Cult Of Ray Darcy is certainly dominated by women. That is beyond doubt. Most will refer to him as simply "Ray" as many feel they have an emotional connection with him because he is such a nice guy. The man goes far out of his way to come across as vanilla as possible. He has a very calculated personality.

This personality comes out stronger at times when he believes people will lap it up even more. Wait for the Christmas sob stories. Sad as they are, Darcy uses these to boost his image of a caring man of the world. The crackled voice, the "sorry I had to stop to hold back the tears" is so pre determined by him. These same sob stories would be told in Summer and not a bother on him.

He is extremely good at creating and growing this image.

you make him sound so cerebral, I don't its so deliberate at all to be honest. He's just up his own backside most of the time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Strongbow10

RachaelVO wrote: »
    Gotta tell ya, I take exception to that. What with being a person of the female persuasion! I listen to him all the time because I like the show, not too gone on the aul teary bits, nor do I dance around the kitchen with my kids, but I do still enjoy it. I must further point out, that I don't watch movies that want to make me cry.

Preconceived ideas much?

There was alot of truth in what that poster said in fairness, i'm sure though you are an exception to the rule going on what you have said.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

you make him sound so cerebral, I don't its so deliberate at all to be honest. He's just up his own backside most of the time.

It's definitely deliberate and it's definitely to please his female listeners. He will ~100% of the time without fail take the woman's side of any discussion or debate.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Andso

You know. I started reading this thread when ray went on his holidays & was dreading him coming back as there was nothing but negative comments on here about him. At first I sneered at everything he said as the comments here where in my head but then relaxed into 'his' show. And you know what, I enjoy it for what it is, a bit of light hearted entertainment which touches the things that happen every day to some of us.
    As another person said I don't dance around the kitchen with my kids but in a country so afraid to deal with death, in particular that of a child it is refreshing to have someone who can. I listen to a variation of talk shows, morning ireland 1st thing, to off the ball in the evening(shock horror a woman listening to sports programme!) and if you don't like the show switch over or buy earplugs.
    Enough negativity

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 225 ✭✭Twas Not

Andso wrote: »
    You know. I started reading this thread when ray went on his holidays & was dreading him coming back as there was nothing but negative comments on here about him. At first I sneered at everything he said as the comments here where in my head but then relaxed into 'his' show. And you know what, I enjoy it for what it is, a bit of light hearted entertainment which touches the things that happen every day to some of us.
    As another person said I don't dance around the kitchen with my kids but in a country so afraid to deal with death, in particular that of a child it is refreshing to have someone who can. I listen to a variation of talk shows, morning ireland 1st thing, to off the ball in the evening(shock horror a woman listening to sports programme!) and if you don't like the show switch over or buy earplugs.
    Enough negativity

Switching over or wearing ear plugs ain't always an option if Ray is forced upon a workforce.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

If people stopped reading about all the negitive comments here and just enjoyed the show for what it is then this thread would be a lot better!

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,582 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

MrMac84 wrote: »
    If people stopped reading about all the negitive comments here and just enjoyed the show for what it is then this thread would be a lot better!

If the producers of the show started reading all the negative comments here and took them on board then the show would be a lot better.

The problem is the show is no longer "entertaining". I see its up for a radio award in the "magazine show" category.
    If the site was a magazine it would be the rte guide...bland, myopic, stale and full of its own misconceived importance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

Enough negativity

What a load of bollox.ive been listening to darcy since he started and his show has become a tired old banger of a thing about running, babys and weight loss mainly.
    He is a joke.
    <snip>
    And as for mods warning about negativity what the hell is this thread for except to bitch and Moan about his show, like all the other radio show threads.people are more than welcome to post positive comments to but i see nothing positive lately about darcys show.
    And before anyone asks i have turned him off.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,306 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

crazygeryy wrote: »
    And as for mods warning about negativity what the hell is this thread for except to bitch and Moan about his show, like all the other radio show threads.people are more than welcome to post positive comments to but i see nothing positive lately about darcys show.
    And before anyone asks i have turned him off.
    //MOD

For someone who's turned of the show you do appear to have a very big axe to grind about it and it's presenter including dismissing people who disagree with you.

As for what the thread is about; it's to talk about the show but if all people are willing to provide is a bucket of bile and a mob opinion of negativity I'd suggest that they are in the wrong place because this is not 4Chan...

//MOD

Enough negativity

you obviously haven't been listening to the show for long (I mean a few years). What was light hearted entertainment touching on everyday life a few years ago became a very tired formula and incredibly overdone. You dont want to hear all about Ray's life everyday, or running, small kids, healthy diets, sad stories (and I lost a child to cancer too).
    I switched to Newstalk and its refreshing and topical and far more mature. Is this an age thing with me? Maybe. But then again I'm the same age as Ray - what does that say? :confused:

MrMac84 wrote: »

I'm surprised at this? Is this not an open forum where we all have the right to an opinion, good, bad or indifferent? You get this on all Chat forums - I'm also on a Newstalk forum and you get the lovers and haters! Its hardly character assasination? It would be a boring world if we all agreed on everything - and this would be a very boring forum :P

sorry - just my opinion !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

Jesus, Ray boasting about winning a disco dancing competition with his sister. A right wee Billy Elliott in his day.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Jesus, Ray boasting about winning a disco dancing competition with his sister. A right wee Billy Elliott in his day.

I was thinking more Monica & Ross.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Andso

I have listened to his show since it started. I just don't understand the complete negativity directed to it. As with everything it can become overdone but while agree a lot of it is about health and kids he still does other topical items.
    As for "a load of bollicks" comment,thanks for the maturity which you think rays show lacks

• Site Banned Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Shiraz 4.99

What is the purpose of the Will character, I'm afraid I don't get it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 225 ✭✭Twas Not

He plays the part of a put upon little mouse

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,005 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

search engine operator

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Michael Weston

Fair play to Ray he covered almost every single question with that girl from Irish water and likewise she was very confident in her answers

Fair play to Ray he covered almost every single question with that girl from Irish water and likewise she was very confident in her answers

I've heard her a few times recently and she is clearly "on top of her game". She's knowledgeable, engaging, deals with the questions and gets her messages across well. She was excellent on the Mooney Show a couple of weeks ago. She's a great ambassador for Irish Water.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

I have listened to his show since it started. I just don't understand the complete negativity directed to it. As with everything it can become overdone but while agree a lot of it is about health and kids he still does other topical items.
    As for "a load of bollicks" comment,thanks for the maturity which you think rays show lacks

I have to agree with you.

Yes the show has become predictable. But listening to him for 1 year or 12 years you are going to become familiar with his traits, good or bad.

Some on here were looking for Jenny & Mairead to go, they have. Others were tired of the odd one out quiz, it's gone. Now I see some are looking for it back again......????

Regarding his ongoing crusade for healthy eating, how can you argue with that. I think more emphasis should be put on it. Most radio shows this week were discussing the danger of fizzy sugary drinks, not just Ray.

As for the running, what is wrong with wanting to get people "up off their butts", make a positive change in their lifestyle. Anyone I have spoken to recently that has taking up either running or cycling are so happy and looking the better of it.

Sometimes when he says something, I think, "oh the boardies will be on giving out about this". Sure enough some are. May I say some of ye are now becoming as predictable as he is. That is why I rarely go to this thread now because it taints the show for me. I only looked in today to see what ye were saying about him since he came back, well I am enjoying having him back and loving disco Friday.

I've heard her a few times recently and she is clearly "on top of her game". She's knowledgeable, engaging, deals with the questions and gets her messages across well. She was excellent on the Mooney Show a couple of weeks ago. She's a great ambassador for Irish Water.

Brilliant media training in fairness

• Registered Users Posts: 21,005 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

few million €€ worth?

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭PIORUN

politician in the making..in fairness he pinned up on the issue of people refusing to pay and she done her best to avoid answering it.

PIORUN wrote: »
    politician in the making..in fairness he pinned up on the issue of people refusing to pay and she done her best to avoid answering it.

I dunno about that and Ray is kind of under the impression he got a few licks in, but, I think she used his show as a vehicle to get her points across and got out. But all in all it was very informative and I know more on the subject now than before they started, so credit to them both on that

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

I have to agree with you.

Yes the show has become predictable. But listening to him for 1 year or 12 years you are going to become familiar with his traits, good or bad.

Some on here were looking for Jenny & Mairead to go, they have. Others were tired of the odd one out quiz, it's gone. Now I see some are looking for it back again......????

Regarding his ongoing crusade for healthy eating, how can you argue with that. I think more emphasis should be put on it. Most radio shows this week were discussing the danger of fizzy sugary drinks, not just Ray.

As for the running, what is wrong with wanting to get people "up off their butts", make a positive change in their lifestyle. Anyone I have spoken to recently that has taking up either running or cycling are so happy and looking the better of it.

Sometimes when he says something, I think, "oh the boardies will be on giving out about this". Sure enough some are. May I say some of ye are now becoming as predictable as he is. That is why I rarely go to this thread now because it taints the show for me. I only looked in today to see what ye were saying about him since he came back, well I am enjoying having him back and loving disco Friday.

whilst I agree with your point, the reason people have an issue is the way Darcy pontificates about it. Its not a case of discussing the healthy eating or running, its a case of 'I'm doing it this way, why arent you, you disgrace, **sigh, I dont know'.

We dont need to hear it every day either, its ramming it down peoples throats. I have a particular way of living, I dont think its the only way or even the right way, but its my way. Ray seems to think that the only way to live is the way he does, and is very condescending to anyone who doesnt do it the way he does.

I dont mind him too much, but I think he has very annoying traits that make it hard to listen to him. He has a massive high horse, and is extremely contradictory in a lot of ways. Says one thing, but does another, but wont ever admit he is wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

Nody wrote: »
    //MOD

For someone who's turned of the show you do appear to have a very big axe to grind about it and it's presenter including dismissing people who disagree with you.

As for what the thread is about; it's to talk about the show but if all people are willing to provide is a bucket of bile and a mob opinion of negativity I'd suggest that they are in the wrong place because this is not 4Chan...

//MOD

What's with the typing in bold?do mods have to do that? Couldn't you just make your point without big black letters?

Love ray Darcy he's brilliant.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement