Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Ray D'Arcy Show Thread - Mod note Post # 1 Updated

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,230 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

5live wrote: »
    That was one painful interview with the Canadian Library employee today.

one quick question. Whats the problem between Ray and Enda Kenny? Ray never passes an opportunity to get a dig in and seems to go out of his way to do it. I'm starting to like Enda now!

Ray is a populist of the worst kind.

He will say anything and everything that is popular and therefore against the Government.

Plus Enda is far too static and boring for someone like Ray, he is not dynamic enough.

Pity Ray would not leave the country as promised.

Dickie10 wrote: »
    stopped listening to ray darcy about 5 years ago, when I gave up working in the building trade, iwas back at college and just seemed to be listening out for a bit more in depth politics/current affairs stories, with the fallout of the economic crisis and stuff also went away from reading any sort of red top tabloid and started religiously buying the irish indo. well when I started listening to radio 1 and newstalk I couldn't switch back without being seriously infuriated with ray and his nonsense, by the way im only 28. anyway bit shocked to hear that mairead farrall has left that show but she did seem a bit desperate to get media attention for the last few years, but it didn't seem to be getting her anywhere near big time TV she probarbly needs to be more journalistic or serious to get a decent number, to be honest I don't think she would be capable of an ella mcsweeny type role.

During the early and mid '00s I always got the impression that Ray's show was very much aimed at the 'lads' in their 20s working on buildings, driving cars too fast, drinking too much at weekends etc.
    They type you would see on 'Pure Mule'

But those guys are gone now, they have grown up and the ones after them are either still at school or gone to Canada and Australia.

That's why Ray is now focusing on the housewife market.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

During the early and mid '00s I always got the impression that Ray's show was very much aimed at the 'lads' in their 20s working on buildings, driving cars too fast, drinking too much at weekends etc.

But those guys are gone now, they have grown up and the ones after them are either still at school or gone to Canada and Australia.

That's why Ray is now focusing on the housewife market.

Spot on post IMO!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭johnire

You are my hero....you've just summed everything up about him and that show.
    Thank you!
    NIMAN wrote: »
    Loved Ray saying that McIlroy earning 10 mill if he wins the next tournament was just unbelievable/crazy.

Nearly as crazy as someone who is paid a couple of hundred grand a year to pontificate every day on the radio in what must be one of the easiest jobs out there.

At least McIlroy is a world class sportsman at the top of his game, as opposed to just an average DJ of many tens of thousands worldwide. You could pluck a nobody off the street to do Ray's job for €30,000 per year, but not the same with rory's job.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

Darcy goes on about the Government breaking its promises, what about you and why are you still here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,005 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

The guests obviously have to be obsessed with their kids too - it must be some sort of filtering process when they are deciding who to let on.

This morning there was some woman on who wrote a book.

The start of her interview went something along the lines of:

"I was at home in the kitchen listening to the radio with the 3 year old Mary and my one year old twins".

All she was missing was adding "and I had tears in my eyes as I danced around with them. And I am 5ft 4.5" tall".

• Subscribers Posts: 41,582 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

ivytwine wrote: »
    I'd go easy on Ray for it tho, nothing worse that an interviewee like that.

It wasn't an interview.

At no stage did Ray say he was ringing from a radio station or that the conversion would be aired, or even that it was being recorded :/

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Saruwatari

sydthebeat wrote: »
    It wasn't an interview.

At no stage did Ray say he was ringing from a radio station or that the conversion would be aired, or even that it was being recorded :/

Exactly. I'd go easy on the chap, he was just going about his job like he would any other day. He was probably taken out of his element with such a strange call anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭Dickie10

"During the early and mid '00s I always got the impression that Ray's show was very much aimed at the 'lads' in their 20s working on buildings, driving cars too fast, drinking too much at weekends etc.

That's why Ray is now focusing on the housewife market"

Yep that sums it up pretty much for me. I remember at the time thinking, yeah that's a fun show on about petty crap in peoples lives such as xmas shopping to new York or some lad looking for a young one he kissed on a stag w.end in carrick on Shannon, fairly boom time stuff, same as taking the week off work if u won a county final! then crash happened and I just found it a lot easier listening to radio 1 espically in mornings (don't like Dempsey either) nice to not wake up to roring and balling and fake laughter, just gimmie news and weather please! not a day goes by listening to pat Kenny or SOR that I don't actually learn something I didn't know before surely that's a good thing?! except of course if u want something like they used to do on that fix it Friday thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

• Advertisement

Dickie10 wrote: »
    Yep that sums it up pretty much for me. I remember at the time thinking, yeah that's a fun show on about petty crap in peoples lives such as xmas shopping to new York or some lad looking for a young one he kissed on a stag w.end in carrick on Shannon, fairly boom time stuff, same as taking the week off work if u won a county final! then crash happened and I just found it a lot easier listening to radio 1 espically in mornings (don't like Dempsey either) nice to not wake up to roring and balling and fake laughter, just gimmie news and weather please! not a day goes by listening to pat Kenny or SOR that I don't actually learn something I didn't know before surely that's a good thing?! except of course if u want something like they used to do on that fix it Friday thing.

To be fair to Ray all he is really doing is talking about topics that he is familiar with.

Even though he was a bit older than those 20 somethings back in the boom he was still single and without children, so going out drinking and chasing women was something that may have been pretty current to him.

Now he is married and has kids so that sort of life is what he is familiar with and it seems way he gears his show towards.

The question for Today FM is that is married with kids Ray attracting older listeners more profitable than some young guy/gal doing what Ray did 10 myears ago ?

Ray would be fine if he did not f**kin pontificate so much.

Last winter some poor lady was killed in her car by a falling tree in a bad storm.
    Ray's first utterance about it was that if the govt had cut the ivy off tree tree then this would never have happened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭ivytwine

sydthebeat wrote: »
    It wasn't an interview.

I didn't know that! Jesus that's awful... poor man!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

BPKS wrote: »
    The guests obviously have to be obsessed with their kids too - it must be some sort of filtering process when they are deciding who to let on.
    ll".

This has to be the case it's kind of like " but you rang me joe" syndrome.
    The other morning some guy said on an Ian Dempsey quiz competition " that's great ian ive won, this is my 4th time getting on and the first time I've won"
    What are the odds on getting through 4 times!
    People who text in negative comments about darcys show wouldn't even get within an asses roar of getting on air for the odd one out etc
    They have to be screening them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

Eating, crunching and talking with food in your mouth... on the radio...

I've given up trying to defend him. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Michael Weston

Only thing more annoying than normal Ray on the radio is Ray munching like a horse eating an apple into the microphone and doing his ooooooh Yeah that's good voice. Why doesn't he just smear it all over himself while he's at it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Some great music on today's show tho! Hate al cookery/recipie segments on radio tho!

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,724 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Brendão wrote: »
    Eating, crunching and talking with food in your mouth... on the radio...

I've given up trying to defend him. :(
    *Shudder*

He's been doing that for years, it's certainly not something I miss about the show!

(Related: Why does anyone make "mmm", "ooh", "yeah, so delicious" noises while eating?)

Dancing with dog around the kitchen bahahaha it's one of the boards people having a laugh surely!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

I was thinking the same. Always thought the "dancing around the kitchen" thing was a boards made up thing, but apparently not!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭thomas anderson.

Had to stop ironing to dance with the dog

Now the cat is on fire

Dopes

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

Had to stop ironing to dance with the dog

Now the cat is on fire

Dopes
    What?

Were they ironing the cat?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭thomas anderson.

5live wrote: »
    What?

Were they ironing the cat?

How else do you expect them to get the wrinkles out?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,052 ✭✭✭✭neris

Dancing with dog around the kitchen bahahaha it's one of the boards people having a laugh surely!

do the 6 foot crying truckers still listen/text into him after a mildly moving story? Or have they coped the **** on and moved on to reality

neris wrote: »
    do the 6 foot crying truckers still listen/text into him after a mildly moving story? Or have they coped the **** on and moved on to reality

Ah it's much worse now, if Ray got a paper cut from Will passing him the texts he makes up, the nations roads immediately become the most dangerous place on earth, due to the huge number of HGV drivers going around bleary eyed with tear stained faces.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Radio is for life

In my days in RTE Darcy was a young whipper snapper and managed to convince people he was good and it seems he still gets away with it. How?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭johnire

That is one of the great mysteries of life!!!
    In my days in RTE Darcy was a young whipper snapper and managed to convince people he was good and it seems he still gets away with it. How?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,005 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Ah it's much worse now, if Ray got a paper cut from Will passing him the texts he makes up, the nations roads immediately become the most dangerous place on earth, due to the huge number of HGV drivers going around bleary eyed with tear stained faces.

I always found it ironic that when Ray was on his high horse about road safety and berating all the culchies who were unhappy they could no longer drink 2 pints and drive 3 miles home, he had no problem with some guy driving a 30 tonne artic at 80kph texting him to say there were tears in his eyes after hearing the story about the sick blah blah blah.........

Or maybe all the artic drivers pulled over and parked up safely when they were texting:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

There's quite a few still in RTE who managed to convince someone they were good. Ray D'Arcy at least doesn't cost the licence payer anything.
    He is awful though. However our media landscape is pretty full of ordinary,untalented individuals.

There's quite a few still in RTE who managed to convince someone they were good. Ray D'Arcy at least doesn't cost the licence payer anything.
    He is awful though. However our media landscape is pretty full of ordinary,untalented individuals.

Yosser if your first name is Alan this could be the most ironic post of all time ;-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Idrive

Sugar in cereal and running
    (((((( yawn ))))))))

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement