Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Ray D'Arcy Show Thread - Mod note Post # 1 Updated

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭The Dagda

TBP wrote: »
    I remember that interview and it was pure cringe. Doyle who was without a club at the time told him he was in talks with a potential new club and for obvious reasons he didn't want to say what club. Darcy kept on at him though, he went on a Misses Doyle from Fr. Ted job... go on tell us, go on tell us what club, can't ya tell us shure... we could do with a scoop here this morning, go on tell us. I'm telling you I can't Ray, need to play my cards close to my chest. Ah jaysus you're no fun. Ray came across as a terrible clown that day.

Do you consider Ray to be a journalist or a radio presenter?

• Subscribers Posts: 41,582 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

The Dagda wrote: »

Is that a serious question?

A radio presenter is expected to be able to interview people properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭molly09

I never thought I would say it but the show has got worse since mairead and Jenny left, it seems even Will has less banter with him these days

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Is that a serious question?

A radio presenter is expected to be able to interview people properly.

And who decides what is properly? The angry wannabe-critics on boards?

It's a light entertainment morning show. It's not Jeremy Paxman.

He chats to different people, he's only got a couple of minutes to do it, he's not going to satisfy the angry critic-wannabes no matter what he does.

The obvious glee these angry critic-wannabes derive from posting on here mistakes from the show or things they don't like is sad. Really sad.

He chats to different people, he's only got a couple of minutes to do it, he's not going to satisfy the angry critic wannabes no matter what he does.

The obvious glee these angry critic wannabes derive from posting on here mistakes from the show or things they don't like is sad. Really sad.

So..... you think he's a good interviewer?

• Advertisement

So..... you think he's a good interviewer?

I enjoy the show. It's easy listening in the morning. I don't listen to it as a critic looking to pick holes it.

I don't expect an "interview" when I listen to it, I expect a light hearted chat between Ray and someone relatively interesting. Sometimes I enjoy those chats, sometimes I don't.

Do I ever think "I didn't enjoy that because Ray is bad interviewer!"?

No.

No. Because someone who thinks like that is an idiot.

Very mature argument

Very mature argument

The point is a "good" or "bad" interview is subjective, one person will like and another person will not. Both are correct, relative to themselves.

But to label him a bad interviewer just because you don't enjoy an interview is idiotic.

And if you don't enjoy every interview? Well you're listening to the wrong show.

But to label him a bad interviewer just because you don't enjoy an interview is idiotic.

In don't know what logic you used to come up with the above statement, but i suggest you read it again and seriously think about it.

Also, using the "you don't agree with me therefore you must be an idiot" argument says a hell of a lot about you.

I enjoy the show. It's easy listening in the morning. I don't listen to it as a critic looking to pick holes it.

I don't expect an "interview" when I listen to it, I expect a light hearted chat between Ray and someone relatively interesting. Sometimes I enjoy those chats, sometimes I don't.

so if you think someone's style of interviewing has gone downhill over the 5 years you listened to a show, you see the repetitive trend of topics and hear the constant interruptions to the answers..... then you're an "idiot" for expressing that here on an open forum? I am not a wannabe anything! I just know what I like and what I don't. I dont dislike Ray personally - I never met him - but I dislike the show in the last year. And you cannot separate Ray from the Ray D'arcy show. Before you say it, I dont listen to the show anymore - I switched to Newstalk these last few months - but I still read this thread.

People aren't stupid just because they have an opinion you dont agree with. There are a lot of new posters here in the last few months - its not a witch hunt - maybe its just a gang of people who all see the way the show has gone and wonder if they are the only ones who think it - thats what brought me here in the first place.

One more thing - why is thread on the Ray D'arcy Show waaaaaay longer and has far more daily input than Pat Kenny, Sean Mocrieff, Ryan Tubridy etc etc. Not everybody loves them either but they dont get the same level of criticism on their interviewing skills or their shows?? Just wondering if this means anything...........:confused:;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Well said!

In don't know what logic you used to come up with the above statement, but i suggest you read it again and seriously think about it.

Also, using the "you don't agree with me therefore you must be an idiot" argument says a hell of a lot about you.

You're in such a rush to have a pop you're not even reading the posts! :rolleyes:

Read my posts again slowly, I made my point as simply as I could.

Here's a clue "AN"!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Horse84

He chats to different people, he's only got a couple of minutes to do it, he's not going to satisfy the angry critic-wannabes no matter what he does.

The obvious glee these angry critic-wannabes derive from posting on here mistakes from the show or things they don't like is sad. Really sad.

Your idea of 'light entertainment' and mine are what I'd describe as worlds apart. Back 5-10 years ago, yes absolutely I think it was probably the best light entertainment show on radio. I agree with you there. It definitely put me in good form listening to it during the day.

The current incarnation of the show is not related to that even if it pretends to be. It's depressing, patronising, terribly researched, tired, jaded, unbelievably repetitive and more than half of the interviews aren't interviews at all. Those interviews consist of a middle aged completely non self aware and overbearing man talking AT another person while not listening or taking in their points of view at all.

I refuse to be referred to as an idiot or some such other wannabe critic by someone who refuses to see the blind truth in front of them.

Rays show hasn't been light entertainment for years. Interesting to see who is up against in the latest ppi awards.

Mooney, Sunday with miriam, moncrieff, and the late lunch.

Not exactly what you'd call entertainment shows ;)

If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck......

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Michael Weston

You're in such a rush to have a pop you're not even reading the posts! :rolleyes:

Read my posts again slowly, I made my point as simply as I could.

Here's a clue "AN"!

What?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭TBP

Neither.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,845 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

why is this Janet girl on making a fool of herself? It's all part of Xfactor's production- she got sucked up and spat out by the machine. stop whinging and try again next year

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

This interview with the girl who is a sex worker is horrendous. Whilst I may not agree with her choice of occupation, the way Darcy is degenerating her, and making up completely untrue and false facts to try and shove his opinion on her is ridiculous. He just said 95% of prostitutes have been raped. I googled. No where, even on the most anti prostitution websites does it say that. One says 80%, another 75%, and the vast majority say just over half. I am no expert, I just hit google. Why does Darcy feel the need to make up stats to try push his agenda. It was the same with the MMA fighter a few weeks back. Making up stats out of his head because he doesnt agree with something. Just a pity this girl didnt have actual facts to make a rebuttal to him, when she said she disagreed, he just waved her off and said "ah no it is now".

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

bruschi wrote: »
    This interview with the girl who is a sex worker is horrendous. Whilst I may not agree with her choice of occupation, the way Darcy is degenerating her, and making up completely untrue and false facts to try and shove his opinion on her is ridiculous. He just said 95% of prostitutes have been raped. I googled. No where, even on the most anti prostitution websites does it say that. One says 80%, another 75%, and the vast majority say just over half. I am no expert, I just hit google. Why does Darcy feel the need to make up stats to try push his agenda. It was the same with the MMA fighter a few weeks back. Making up stats out of his head because he doesnt agree with something. Just a pity this girl didnt have actual facts to make a rebuttal to him, when she said she disagreed, he just waved her off and said "ah no it is now".

He offered her a hug after they went off air though, because he "thought she really needed a hug", and she refused.

Says a bit about what she thought of him and his patronizing victimization of her.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Idrive

Laois_Man wrote: »
    He offered her a hug after they went off air though, because he "thought she really needed a hug", and she refused.

Says a bit about what she thought of him and his patronizing victimization of her.

The irony of ray offering her a hug was beyond him. Kate ( the sex worker ) made is very clear that she felt empowered by her profession and feeling sorry for her further undermined her right to choose her job as a woman.
    The interview made me rage inside. I have to stop listening too.
    She made the point that feeling sorry for her meant you didn't take seriously when she said she loved her job.
    Then after she left the studio he again mentioned that he pitied her.
    Why pity her. She sounded extremely confident to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭Ciaran

Laois_Man wrote: »

Looking for a freebee? I'd say she gets enough hugs from 50-year-old men tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭baldbear

Another fertility piece.. It feels like he's covered this topic alot.

When Ray said who's lester to Henry Sheflin I cringed. Jesus do some research.

I wonder if it's possible to zero out the poll on this thread and allow people to vote again?

Many of the 1000+ responders would have voted a long long time ago - some as far back as 7½ years ago when the thread was started. Even then, his approval rating is less than 30%

It would be interesting to see how much would change if voting started again now.

Although another interesting thing is how people now say the show has gone down hill for the last while, or the last 3 years or whatever. But the same thing was being said on page 1 in March 2007. So maybe it wouldn't be much different at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭swiftman

Anything about ufc fight and the possible world title fight soon for conor
    Also anything about ryder cup which had irish men on it and captain and vice captain, the second biggest sports events of the year, after the football world cup

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

I dont listen at all anymore, its got to the point that I changed the dial altogether as even hearing him read out the newpapers (badly) and sighing all the time wound me up.

So now instead of listening to Ian Dempsey I listen to another station, its not just his own listeners that hes losing at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭JM Skipton

Very disappointed with Ray's interview with the sex worker this morning. The overriding tone was one of huge condescension.He seemed to think he knew more about the whole topic than she did. This despite the fact that she was the one who was involved in it on a day to day basis and to the best of my knowledge Ray has no experience of this whole area. The key to a good interview is that we get as much interesting info as possible from the interviewee and by the end of the interview we still don't know what personal feelings the interviewer has on any given topic.
    I do still think he can do good interviews, he just failed miserably on this occasion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

Phil Jupitus had to correct Ray when he called Edge, the Edge. Then he goes on about the time he called Blur, The Blur. Thank God one of them knew how to do an interview.

Never thought I'd say this but, he needs the women back.

And what's his fascination with the winners of the Euromillions?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Because he's money mad.

Never thought I'd say this but, he needs the women back.

I don't agree. Those 2 were pointless.
    He needs a new timeslot (Fenton's gig would suit him).
    They won't do that of course coz they wouldn't be bold and brave enough to take apart the golden egg of the station - so failing a new timeslot, they need to give him a new producer and one or two completely new sidekicks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,005 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Enjoyed the Phil Jupitus interview this morning, tuned in at 11.30 for the first time in a while and got lucky.

The best bit for me came when D'Arcy asked Jupitus why he chucked in his gig on breakfast Radio on BBC after 5 years and Phil said something along the lines of "the show just got old and tired and I needed a change".

Oh the irony.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement