Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Ray D'Arcy Show Thread - Mod note Post # 1 Updated

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

Deedsie wrote: »
    Well with Jenny Kelly back, I have now officially switched over to Tom Dunne. All the best Darcy listeners.

WOW! Do you usally go asleep at that time well you will now anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

Badabing wrote: »
    WOW! Do you usally go asleep at that time well you will now anyway.

Id rather sleep than listen to that whinging. Tom Dunne this morning was good. I enjoyed it anyway. Fair and balanced, Appreciated the opinions of his listeners/guests.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭quietobserver

I dabble between RTE 1, 2Fm Today Fm and Newstalk,
    As theres reasons i find hard to listen to many of the morning presenters.

I keep reading here about the problems with Darcy show being too much of the same old thing..

What would improve it? What would make it any better? Answer this without the answer of changing the crew working on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Nice boo boo by Ray today. He had a guy talking about his wife who had recently died of cancer. Played "Inbetween Days" by The Cure after the interview. :o

At least he had the sense to stop the song before long.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭granturismo

I know there's an off button on the car radio, but I'm sick of Ray cursing when he gets a bit excited/p#ssed off, while I'm bringing my young children to school. How would he feel if I shouted 'sh#te' into his kid's ear every second morning.

Yes, they probably hear more in the school yard.

Am switching over to Dunne tomorrow to see how he can control his vocabularly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 858 ✭✭✭goingpostal

I dabble between RTE 1, 2Fm Today Fm and Newstalk,
    As theres reasons i find hard to listen to many of the morning presenters.

I keep reading here about the problems with Darcy show being too much of the same old thing..

What would improve it? What would make it any better? Answer this without the answer of changing the crew working on it.

I feel that it is beyond redemption, but they could get rid of all the segments that have gone way past their sell by date, and come up with some new ways of interacting with the listeners. Much, much less of the soap-boxing and moralising. Much much less of the women with the annoying accents and the vacuous rubbish they talk about. More of Will. Basically, go back to the way it was when the show started, just a bit of craic, nothing too serious. But I doubt that will happen. Its like a ship that has been sailing rudderless for ages and is about to be dashed on the rocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Jenny is back! Yay!!! woo hoo! No seriously, Im delighted, she comes across as such a nice warm person and not a pain in the ass at all.

I, like any other man, am not an authority on what constitutes another man being good looking or not(See Rules for men, chapter 5, prargraph 6: No man is permitted to understand, appreciate, comprehend or in anyway acknowledge another mans level of attractiveness). However I did notice that with regards to Ray and jenny, Id have to say that Jenny is punching above her weight. <snip> Behave! </snip>

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

I know there's an off button on the car radio, but I'm sick of Ray cursing when he gets a bit excited/p#ssed off, while I'm bringing my young children to school. How would he feel if I shouted 'sh#te' into his kid's ear every second morning.

Yes, they probably hear more in the school yard.

Am switching over to Dunne tomorrow to see how he can control his vocabularly.
    meh, sh!te is a very soft word, maybe exercise more caution with your choice of programming when your kids are in the car, the show is for the 20-45 market primarily

• Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

zuroph wrote: »
    meh, sh!te is a very soft word, maybe exercise more caution with your choice of programming when your kids are in the car, the show is for the 20-45 market primarily

at 9am in the morning we wouldnt hear curses on the tv.I often wonder does a similar watershed exist on the radio?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭granturismo

meh, 'sh#te','fu#k', Ray likes to use a broad repetoire of expletives.

As I said, I'm trying Newstalk & I dont think he'd appreciate someone cursing to his 3 yo in a confined space.

Nowhere does it say that his show is for 20-45 yos, thats his audience, maybe he could have his watershed after 9.30 am.

I'm excercising my right to try another station tomorrow, failing that its the ipod.

I agree with granturismo. Using swear words isn't big or cool. Its not very considerate towards peoples with kids. It is symptomatic of the utter bankruptcy of ideas on that show, that he has to resort to swearing on his show to appear edgy. And it is so obviously staged and calculated to grab attention, there is nothing spontaneous about his swearing. "Look at me, I am cursing." Grow up, D'Arcy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

Remember the road safety ads he did where he said the word fcuk, can't remember the exact content though.

I have to say, Pat the plank is streets ahead of him. It may not be all that entertaining but it is professional and you might learn a bit. Delighted I changed over. Saying that, 9-10 can be painful at times.

Yep the Plank is growing on me. I think it is very important that someone on radio can talk properly and pronounce there words slowly and clearly. Kenny is a pro at least. It makes a huge difference to listenability. D'Arcy's show is an amateur mess, with his eh, this text in from, eh, mick the muckshovelling, eh, bogger, eh, who just dropped his breakfast roll, eh, laughing at my last lame, eh, attempt at a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Sir_Name

Dont quote me on this... but i heard a rumour today that two cork djs - KC and Lenny (Red Fm) are moving to Dublin to join Today Fm.

Could the rumours be true? Did anyone hear anything similar.:confused:

I wonder is it on account of Ray Darcy show losing listenership.

Deanov wrote: »
    Dont quote me on this...

Oh sh1t.......sorry!

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭salad dodger

Basically, go back to the way it was when the show started, just a bit of craic, nothing too serious.

Sounds vaguely familiar:p
    Have you been brainwashed by Ray Foley?:eek:

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Oh sh1t.......sorry!

:D Should`ve known that would happen!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

Dont quote me on this... but i heard a rumour today that two cork djs - KC and Lenny (Red Fm) are moving to Dublin to join Today Fm.

*ahem :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭el diablo

Ah come on, Today FM is already overloaded with boggers so you can keep your JC and Kenny.

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Advertisement

el diablo wrote: »
    Ah come on, Today FM is already overloaded with boggers so you can keep your JC and Kenny.

Tough Luck!! Lenny isnt joining and KC is taking a late evening time slot by all accounts!
    Seem to have well enough considering they won best breakfast show 2 yrs in a row - beating all national stations!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 bgw617

I agree with granturismo. Using swear words isn't big or cool. Its not very considerate towards peoples with kids. It is symptomatic of the utter bankruptcy of ideas on that show, that he has to resort to swearing on his show to appear edgy. And it is so obviously staged and calculated to grab attention, there is nothing spontaneous about his swearing. "Look at me, I am cursing." Grow up, D'Arcy.
    I agree - can't stand Ray D'Arcy - I changed stations a long time ago because I got fed up with his bad language, his constant inuendos to sex and trying to be 'smart'. I am not a prude by any means but listeners with young ones in the car should not be subjected to a so called presenter talking in a offensive manner. Although I do agree he is better than Gerry Ryan who is long past his sell by date !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 morningbright

The rot set in years ago when Ray started his 'campaigns'. The first of which was this road safety campaign. Admittedly a deserving cause especially in Ireland. But his approach at the time caused a stir and he must have got a great ego boost. From then on Ray's word became 'the' word. As a result he became more dogmatic in his opinions and for me he became intolerable to listen to. Its a drum thats been banged numerous times but recently the ray darcy show is only fun when ray is on holidays. I find Tom Dunne to be a thoroughly pleasant and his show is always interesting. It makes me angry thinking how much I liked the Ray Darcy show I hope Tom Dunne doesnt make the same mistakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭hick

Tom Dunne was the end of Ray, when he took over the morning show on Todayfm during the holidays people got a glimpse of something else, folk only started really giving out when the saw the different style of presenting. Tom's happy go lucky style showed up Ray's grumpy nature, it wasn't as noticeable before then as it was him or Gerry Ryan's low brow style.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭ManFromAtlantis

oh gawd who's yer wan with the put on irritating accent . she said the tiger woods interview thing was " bull**** " classy show.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Question for all the people giving out about D'Arcy - Why do you continue to listen every day and then complain about it?

I hate Gerry Ryan and the stupid b**ches at work insist on listening to him so I listen to D'Arcy on my phone. If you hate him that much change channel.

Simple! :D

TillyGirl wrote: »
    Question for all the people giving out about D'Arcy - Why do you continue to listen every day and then complain about it?
    It's been answered a billion times already, but here goes again. Some people don't have a choice, i.e. it's on in work.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Well then suck it up and stop complaining or do something about it. get the channel changed, listen to radio on phone or ipod.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

From today, posts that say "Why don't you just change the channel" will be regarded as off-topic.

• Advertisement

Thank you, tbh, about time someone did that. Give em all red cards too. Last time I checked, grabbing my colleagues rubbish little plastic radio, which manages to make a very loud sound (it must be possessed by demons), and bashing it repeatedly off his noggin, is illegal.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement