Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Ray D'Arcy Show Thread - Mod note Post # 1 Updated

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Gophur

Hmmm, when I was on hols last month I distinctly remember asking my OH to pass me the "factor20" not the "sunscreen" to avoid confusion.

A radio show isn't meant to sound like your reading a script, maybe if you want to listen to perfectly pedantic prose you should switch to a rolling news bulletin.

You're not a professional broadcaster, it doesn't matter to the radio listeners if you use the wrong term to describe the product. ( "Factor" is not even a generic term for sunscreen, unlike "hoover", "biro" etc)

No one is asking for any radio show to sound like it's being read from a script, however it's not too much to ask a professional broadcaster to speak properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

The sexual tension in here is overwhelming

Get a room people

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

Can you tell us what exactly he said?

"factor" is most definately used as a term in relation to sunscreen. eg. "What factor are you wearing?"

It sounds like a ridiculous thing to be complaining about, but would be interested to hear what he actually said, considering you're getting so worked up about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭RachaelVO

Jesus wept lads, seriously, all this hoo haa over factor vs sunscreen? WTF?

It's really not that important. Some people call it sun factor (myself included) and some say sunscreen (myself included). It's interchangeable

Give it a rest!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Gophur wrote: »
    You're not a professional broadcaster, it doesn't matter to the radio listeners if you use the wrong term to describe the product. ( "Factor" is not even a generic term for sunscreen, unlike "hoover", "biro" etc)

No one is asking for any radio show to sound like it's being read from a script, however it's not too much to ask a professional broadcaster to speak properly.

I listen to the radio because I enjoy listening to music funnily enough.
    Maybe try BBC radio 4 to cure your angst:D

• Advertisement

So, having listened back, this is exactly what he said:
    wrote:
    They are changing their mind on the factor you should be wearing in the sun, and the good news is, that you will need factor, eh, in the coming days, because we are supposed to get up to Mediterranean type temperatures at the weekend... eh, factor fifteen isn't good enough, em, you should be wearing factor twenty to thirty to protect yourself from the sun.

Maybe he should have used the word sunscreen in the second instance of using the word factor, but holy jaysus, why anyone would get so worked up about something like that is beyond me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

"Pass me the factor" or "pass me the sun tan lotion"

Its factor too me, anyway. Good on him for high-lighting the need for it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Gophur

...........why anyone would get so worked up about something like that is beyond me.

Nobody's "worked up" about it, apart from the people replying to the observation.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭southeastg

Is anybody else sick of listening to ray darcy? I used to like ray but he has become so patronising and arrogant i cant listen to him anymore. He has guest experts on his show for various topics and he ends up giving out the advice. He had the author of that flat tummy book on last week and the guy had to justify the book to him, while ray who obviously fancied the authors wife keep referring to her pictures in the book. He then says not everyone wants a flat tummy and thats it, just because ray porridge eating darcy said it makes it so. I really got annoyed when he said things arnt anymore dangerous for kids today than they were years ago, its just the media coverage of it. Idiot they didnt have paedophiles talking to kids on the internet 20 years ago.(just the parish priest) It doesnt matter though cause thats my opinion and im open to be proven wrong on it where as ray just says no your wrong and im right. If Mairead stands up to him he'll just say we'll agree to disagree which actually means we will both agree im right. Anyway ill just have to change station, shame cause they actually do some good pieces on the show and i like mairead and jenny, Will not so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

I think you may have a bigger problem than ray!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Ray Darcy became patronising and arrogant a long long time ago. Can't believe you only noticed it now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 913 ✭✭✭Ronan Keating

southeastg wrote: »

Anyway ill just have to change station.

OK. Very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Derryleigh

Is anybody else sick of listening to ray darcy? I used to like ray but he has become so patronising and arrogant i cant listen to him anymore. He has guest experts on his show for various topics and he ends up giving out the advice. He had the author of that flat tummy book on last week and the guy had to justify the book to him, while ray who obviously fancied the authors wife keep referring to her pictures in the book. He then says not everyone wants a flat tummy and thats it, just because ray porridge eating darcy said it makes it so. I really got annoyed when he said things arnt anymore dangerous for kids today than they were years ago, its just the media coverage of it. Idiot they didnt have paedophiles talking to kids on the internet 20 years ago.(just the parish priest) It doesnt matter though cause thats my opinion and im open to be proven wrong on it where as ray just says no your wrong and im right. If Mairead stands up to him he'll just say we'll agree to disagree which actually means we will both agree im right. Anyway ill just have to change station, shame cause they actually do some good pieces on the show and i like mairead and jenny, Will not so much.

You were going well until the sweeping cheap shot about parish priests.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭southeastg

Derryleigh wrote: »
    You were going well until the sweeping cheap shot about parish priests.

Didnt think that was a cheap shot, i was just thinking as i was typing about the threats to children years ago, i usually keep my opinion to myself , you cant put anything up on these public forums without everyone going through it with a fine tooth comb, ready to jump with a sarcastic comment. RELAX. :D

Has anyone tried to contact Ray about the shows decline?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭el diablo

Didnt think that was a cheap shot, i was just thinking as i was typing about the threats to children years ago, i usually keep my opinion to myself , you cant put anything up on these public forums without everyone going through it with a fine tooth comb, ready to jump with a sarcastic comment. RELAX. :D

He knows all about it as he's a regular reader of this thread.

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭purrrfect1

Yes, I have. I have contacted both his show and Today FM management.

I don't listen to his show anymore. This is a shame as I used to enjoy Ian Dempsey and then Ray Foley afterwards. Now I listen to BBC Radio 2. Chris Evans and Ken Bruce are doing it for me now. Ryan Tubridy, Pat Kenny or Tom Dunne just couldn't keep me interested.

I'm an ex-smoker who promised to myself I would never start preaching about how great I am or how bad cigarettes are to smokers.

Even as an ex-smoker, Darcy is winding me up this morning, he has been going on about smoking and giving up for the past half hour.

I can only imagine that the smokers listening must be rightly wound up!

He was going on for about ten minutes (literally) at one stage and giving his own opinions about why people smoke, and doing his huffing and puffing routine, along with dispensing his extensive (cough cough) (excuse the pun) knowledge of smoking related illnesses.

After that, he asked/told smoker Jenny how she feels after a night smoking, she sounded pissed off to say the least and answered with "why are you pushing a microphone in my face?".

It is those type of topics he should avoid. Realistically, as an ex smoker, I should have been quietly nodding in agreement with a topic like that, but I felt like shoving twenty benson down his throat just to keep him quiet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

I can't stand his self-righteousness especially when it comes to fitness and being healthy.

"I'm brilliant because I'm running in marathons and eat healthy food"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 183 ✭✭Paracore

el diablo wrote: »
    He knows all about it as he's a regular reader of this thread.

Yes I am sure he lays awake at night fretting about what minions like you think of him :pac: :pac: :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭RachaelVO

Paracore wrote: »
    Yes I am sure he lays awake at night fretting about what minions like you think of him :pac: :pac: :pac:

I bet he is :rolleyes:

I have to say though, going against the current of the thread, I enjoy listening to his show. It's entertaining and that's all I really want in the mornings!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭el diablo

Paracore wrote: »

Cock. :rolleyes:

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 183 ✭✭Paracore

el diablo wrote: »
    Cock. :rolleyes:

Please keep your fantasies to yourself :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

Ok folks a warning to knock it off.. I don't like banning people

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭Clanket

If it wasn't for the help given in this thread for competitions I'd definately have unsubscribed a long time ago. Why people feel the need to come in and complain I'll never understand. If you don't like it, switch stations. Simples.

Big shout out to all those who enjoy the show :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Clanket wrote: »
    If it wasn't for the help given in this thread for competitions I'd definately have unsubscribed a long time ago. Why people feel the need to come in and complain I'll never understand. If you don't like it, switch stations. Simples.

Big shout out to all those who enjoy the show :pac:
    In fairness its an open forum so people are allowed to vent a little.

I agree that some people have gone a bit OTT.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,978 ✭✭✭wyrn

I was happily ignorantly blissful until I read this thread! Now I notice his interviewing techniques - it's true how he keeps interrupting with his own knowledge. One of the days, Dr. Pixie McKenna was answering a medical question and he cut in with the answer. It wasn't even his opinion, it was a medical fact - why would you interrupt a medical doctor answering a medical question. Gah! It's very infuriating, especially when he knocks the interviewee of their stride. I actually shouted at the radio for Ray to shut up the other day!

Today with the beatbox guy, he had to get in with the "I did a bit of gymnastics" gag. I'm getting sick of this and the "I played a bit of rugby", "Mairead you are hot", "I cooked this that and the other last night" and finally "running is great because it............". You could play radio bingo with the above quotes.

Don't get me wrong, I do still like the show but certain trends are starting to grate on me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

wyrn wrote: »
    I was happily ignorantly blissful until I read this thread! Now I notice his interviewing techniques - it's true how he keeps interrupting with his own knowledge. One of the days, Dr. Pixie McKenna was answering a medical question and he cut in with the answer. It wasn't even his opinion, it was a medical fact - why would you interrupt a medical doctor answering a medical question. Gah! It's very infuriating, especially when he knocks the interviewee of their stride. I actually shouted at the radio for Ray to shut up the other day!

Today with the beatbox guy, he had to get in with the "I did a bit of gymnastics" gag. I'm getting sick of this and the "I played a bit of rugby", "Mairead you are hot", "I cooked this that and the other last night" and finally "running is great because it............". You could play radio bingo with the above quotes.

Don't get me wrong, I do still like the show but certain trends are starting to grate on me.

LOL I haven't listened to it for about 2 years but I can still recall him saying all those phrases. :D Get new material Ray, man!

Andrew Maxwell again?

The rotation of the same guests over and over is getting a bit tiresome.

Tommy Tiernan

Des Bishop

Andrew Maxwell

(repeat)

PJ Gallagher today, Jason Byrne yesterday . . . . *yawns*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

PJ Gallagher today, Jason Byrne yesterday . . . . *yawns*

At least Pj Gallagher is a good guest

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭the_one_&_only

Since Mairead was on the panel they seem to have a comedian on trying to plug their upcoming shows/dvd etc.

Really wearing thin recently for me. Spend alot of time listening to my ipod these days.

On a plus side the woman who entered the Take that concert competition was mad

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement