Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Ray D'Arcy Show Thread - Mod note Post # 1 Updated

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭emptybladder

2 months ago, I flicked to him, he mentioned Katie. I changed station. Yesterday, I flicked past and he was talking about the daughter again. Used to really love the show. Now I think he's an insufferable, pompous git.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 858 ✭✭✭goingpostal

2 months ago, I flicked to him, he mentioned Katie. I changed station. Yesterday, I flicked past and he was talking about the daughter again. Used to really love the show. Now I think he's an insufferable, pompous git.

Kids are great. Everyone loves them. Listening to parents talk about how wonderful their kids are, is not so great. In fact, it is a major bore. Whenever I get cornered by some parent telling me how wonderful Little Bubbins is, I silently wish for some seriously hard drugs to take away the pain. Someone should explain this to D'Arcy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

I find the whole thing where his way is the correct /only way and his opinion is the only valid opinion very annoying.

Its very irratating to hear him come out with a statement thats clearly wrong and even when hes corrected hes still reluctant to change his view.

what really shocked me one day was when he had a doctor on the show and he started talking accross her to give his opinion as to what should be done.

funs gone in the show, his head is too far up his own ass and as for kate sweet jesus youd swear he was the only one with a child in the whole world.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭statto25

Anton Savage is in today :D Is Ray off for the week then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 858 ✭✭✭goingpostal

Looks like it. He is an improvement on D'Arcy, thats for sure.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭heyheyhey1982

Anton Savage is a bit of jack of all trades. Plays the serious role when he's in for Cooper, plays the cool guy when he's in for Da'Rcy. He's ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭heyheyhey1982

Michael Healy Ray this morning was a pain in the hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Steamer

Euromillions numbers. The second was 20. What was the first?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Radiotower

3rd number was No. 1
    Still looking for first number..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭sasser

1st number was 5

• Registered Users Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

I've yet to hear of a situation where it's not a middle aged woman winning that 1000 euro. So irritating

• Registered Users Posts: 20,052 ✭✭✭✭neris

Anton Savage was a bit of fun today compared to Ray. Good interview with ross kemp and that comdeian whos name i cant pronounce nver mind spell. Could have a lot harder on the gombeen politician though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

neris wrote: »
    Could have a lot harder on the gombeen politician though.

In fairness to Anton, he tried pretty hard. He asked the same question at least ten times but he just wouldn't answer. There comes a point where he just has to get on with it. The guy wasn't going to give him a straight answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭smaoifs

Had images of Ray's head exploding somewhere with Anton talking about how much he enjoyed smoking and isn't feeling great after quitting.
    Would just love if tomorrow's topic was jogging and how he isn't enjoying that and feels worse for doing it instead of having a lie in and a fry up! Ray will have a total sh!t freak.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭el diablo

smaoifs wrote: »
    Had images of Ray's head exploding somewhere with Anton talking about how much he enjoyed smoking and isn't feeling great after quitting.
    Would just love if tomorrow's topic was jogging and how he isn't enjoying that and feels worse for doing it instead of having a lie in and a fry up! Ray will have a total sh!t freak.

For such a health/fitness freak he looks like a man in his late fifties/early sixties. it must be in the genes, eh. :)

phoenix1_i_555668t.jpg

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

el diablo wrote: »
    For such a health/fitness freak he looks like a man in his late fifties/early sixties. it must be in the genes, eh. :)

That's harsh man. There's hardly a need to get personal. Beards age men, that's why I shaved mine :P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

The Arsey needs to go back to television. He's better on it - As long it's not The Rose of Tralee. Everyone's crap on that!

The choice on morning radio is abysmal. I flicked to Tubridy this morning, lasted literally 30 seconds. Newstalk is probably the best other option but I need some more music than they play before 10:00 and I'm not mad about Tom Dunne but I think I'll give him another chance when D'Arcy comes back.

Infact, I've said this before, I think daytime Today FM needs a major shake up. Everything from D'Arcy up to Cooper, with the possible exception of Foley.......for now (they come up with really some good stuff but then seem to overkill it)!

Sometimes I think Dempsey should go too, but then when he's off on holiday's and the other guy stands in for him, you realize how good he is - even if Gift Grub isn't usually that funny anymore imo.

And Tony Fenton was always an insincere, too cool for school, pain!

I'd also perhaps like someone a bit more hard hitting and contraversial and more of a risk taker than Cooper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭batm!ke

AAaaargh! The same old slurs on D'Arcy everytime I check this thread! Change the record people, because D'Arcy's not going to change. Only talks about his daughter blah blah He's too opinionated blah blah the girls are annoying blah blah f*cking blah. D'Arcy is where he is and has been for so long because he's good at his job. TBH I never noticed an abundance of talking about his daughter. In regards to the girls and Will, he has a mix on his team of different opinions and knowledge (which compared to Foley's yes-men / performing monkeys is nice, (don't get me wrong I love Foley)) and yes, D'Arcy is over-opinionated, but we all have family or friends like this. The D'Arcy Show regularly advertises the fact that listening to the show is like dropping into a conversation with friends. And IMO the features he does (Agony Aunt, Sex Therapy, Pricewatch, Fix-It-Friday) are invaluable and always a help to people. He's providing entertainment AND a public service. Not to mention things like Shave or Dye and the Run with Ray for 5K thing. I know this is the Ray D'Arcy Show Megathread, but if you people are that apoplectic about it start up an 'Things I Really Really Hate and Want To Bitch About D'Arcy Thread.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,646 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I agree with the above poster. I'm a regular listener and I don't think he talks about his daughter too much. I like the team banter. My only quibble is that the odd one out quiz has had its day, and it should be replaced with something else to win the hoodies.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭emptybladder

batm!ke wrote: »
    D'Arcy is where he is and has been for so long because he's good at his job.

Was good at his job IMO. The format is stale now. The reason he still is where he is, is because, well, take a look at his competition!

I'm iPod all the way now, except in the car which is on 4fm all the time, bar a flick up the dial every now and then.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

The D'Arcy Show regularly advertises the fact that listening to the show is like dropping into a conversation with friends. And IMO the features he does (Agony Aunt, Sex Therapy, Pricewatch, Fix-It-Friday) are invaluable and always a help to people. He's providing entertainment AND a public service. Not to mention things like Shave or Dye and the Run with Ray for 5K thing. I know this is the Ray D'Arcy Show Megathread, but if you people are that apoplectic about it start up an 'Things I Really Really Hate and Want To Bitch About D'Arcy Thread.

I agree with some of your sentiment, that people will give out about just about everything. But that's the way it is, it wont change. Just the same as you say Darcy wont.

Maybe the thing about his daughter only sticks out to people who find it irritating. If you haven't noticed, listen for it, he will drop the kids name in everywhere.... from some of the serious family features, to the middle of an interview.

Some of the features are quite good. Pricewatch is good, and the sports psychologist he has on for the agony aunt feature is good.

Google it Friday is very stale. They need to do something with it... and Shave or Dye was a station wide promo, rather than their own doing.

This part of your post may have been true a few years ago:
    He's providing entertainment AND a public service.

But it is not entirely true anymore. Can you honestly say that bringing his kid in to studio and singing twinkle twinkle little star is an entertaining and public service?

Parts of the show are fine, but they need a big revamp.

The best thing about the show at the moment is the Anton Savage fill in for a week feature.

I agree with some of your sentiment, that people will give out about just about everything. But that's the way it is, it wont change. Just the same as you say Darcy wont.

Maybe the thing about his daughter only sticks out to people who find it irritating. If you haven't noticed, listen for it, he will drop the kids name in everywhere.... from some of the serious family features, to the middle of an interview.

Some of the features are quite good. Pricewatch is good, and the sports psychologist he has on for the agony aunt feature is good.

Google it Friday is very stale. They need to do something with it... and Shave or Dye was a station wide promo, rather than their own doing.

This part of your post may have been true a few years ago:

But it is not entirely true anymore. Can you honestly say that bringing his kid in to studio and singing twinkle twinkle little star is an entertaining and public service?

Parts of the show are fine, but they need a big revamp.

The best thing about the show at the moment is the Anton Savage fill in for a week feature.

The day he had the child in was national "bring your child to work day" or something like that. It's not as if she is in the studio every week.

I don't have kids, but I hate people who go on about theirs. (including my best friends!) I really don't want to know. However, a lot of his listeners are parents, and referencing his child probably appeals to them in some way.

There's some features I'm not fond of but he's the best thing on in that time slot and it's easy enough listening and a mix of news/features/music.

I couldn't listen to Tubridy if I was paid, and I never ever listened to G.Ryan when he was on the air.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

The day he had the child in was national "bring your child to work day" or something like that. It's not as if she is in the studio every week.

I don't have kids, but I hate people who go on about theirs. (including my best friends!) I really don't want to know. However, a lot of his listeners are parents, and referencing his child probably appeals to them in some way.

There's some features I'm not fond of but he's the best thing on in that time slot and it's easy enough listening and a mix of news/features/music.

I couldn't listen to Tubridy if I was paid, and I never ever listened to G.Ryan when he was on the air.
    It was the day after ''bring your child to work day'' that he had his daughter singing.
    He had her in 2 days

He's providing entertainment AND a public service. Not to mention things like Shave or Dye and the Run with Ray for 5K thing. I know this is the Ray D'Arcy Show Megathread, but if you people are that apoplectic about it start up an 'Things I Really Really Hate and Want To Bitch About D'Arcy Thread.
    Providing a public service to suit his own needs where he bangs on about negative equity because he's suffered.

Shave or Die wasn't his brainchild. It was a Today FM inintiative thought up by a lady working there who's name escapes me.

IF you don't like reading about people bitching about D'arcy don't read the thread or start an appreciation thread on him

amiable wrote: »
    It was the day after ''bring your child to work day'' that he had his daughter singing.
    He had her in 2 days

The only reason she was brought in the following day was because Maireads child wasn't brought in and they agreed to do it the following day when both children were there.

I think the majority of grumblers about D'Arcy are from a different generation and don't "get" him. So what if he's healthy, eats porridge, doesn't smoke, runs etc? Maybe he did in his youth but only sees the benefits now. I don't run at all but don't get incensed when he talks about running or how great it makes him feel.

Mairead usually says something that annoys me every day she's in, but to be honest it's only since I watched her on the panel and the smug look on her face when she said something that was actually funny. (a rarity)

If it was the Mairead show then I think I would have a problem with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭batm!ke

Shave or Die wasn't his brainchild. It was a Today FM inintiative thought up by a lady working there who's name escapes me.

It wasn't his brainchild, but he was it's No.1 promoter on Today FM. Regularly mentioned it, the World Record attempt was on his show, the fundraising tally was always announced on his slot etc.

And I never said I didn't like people bitching about him, I only pointed out that the bitchfest was stuck on repeat and no-one ever has anything constructive to say. For the record I don't like E-Mail Bag, the play-a-song-to-death style of music (which is indicative of all the Today FM primetime slots) particularly if Ray likes the song among other little foibles. Don't feel the need to slate the man's entire career like some other people though.

The only reason she was brought in the following day was because Maireads child wasn't brought in and they agreed to do it the following day when both children were there.
    It was still self gratifying

It wasn't his brainchild, but he was it's No.1 promoter on Today FM. Regularly mentioned it, the World Record attempt was on his show, the fundraising tally was always announced on his slot etc.

And I never said I didn't like people bitching about him, I only pointed out that the bitchfest was stuck on repeat and no-one ever has anything constructive to say. For the record I don't like E-Mail Bag, the play-a-song-to-death style of music (which is indicative of all the Today FM primetime slots) particularly if Ray likes the song among other little foibles. Don't feel the need to slate the man's entire career like some other people though.
    Harrdly. No more than Ian Dempsey but that's just getting petty.
    Well giving out about people bitching suggests you don't like it.

Show me where i've slated the man's entire career.
    I'm on record here saying he annoys me at times. That's it.

• Advertisement

It was still self gratifying

Or appealling to his listeners who are parents.
    Or even to pander to the child who might have enjoyed their time in the studio.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement