Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Ray D'Arcy Show Thread - Mod note Post # 1 Updated

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Solnskaya

Good, I like Anton. D'arcy is like listening to amateur hour. After 20 years, you'd imagine he would be halfway slick and know which buttons to press. I find his show self-indulgent and parochial. Why do I listen? Because it's the only station that the crap radio in the van can pick up clearly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Bubblegums

I agree, Anton IS savage lol I might just tune in, that awful Seoige sister with the twisted lip is on covering for Tom Dunne on Newstalk and it is pure torture.... :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Savage is truly TodayFM's jack of all trades...he does well filling in on the Last Word (better than Cooper in some respects), manages to be a good motors corespondent....then he can hold his own on teh sunday morning business show...and whilst I dislike Darcy, I could stand to listen to the show when Anton does stand-in for him...

Very likable host and I'm pretty hard to please...manages to avoid having an annoying voice too which is unusual these days. From what I can make out he has half decent taste in music too.

Be nice to see him getting his own show with a bit more permanence at some stage, but he seems happy to be the locum for now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Solnskaya

Wertz wrote: »
    Savage is truly TodayFM's jack of all trades...he does well filling in on the Last Word (better than Cooper in some respects), manages to be a good motors corespondent....then he can hold his own on teh sunday morning business show...and whilst I dislike Darcy, I could stand to listen to the show when Anton does stand-in for him...

Very likable host and I'm pretty hard to please...manages to avoid having an annoying voice too which is unusual these days. From what I can make out he has half decent taste in music too.

Be nice to see him getting his own show with a bit more permanence at some stage, but he seems happy to be the locum for now.
    I like Anton, he's halfway human, comes across as intelligent and empathetic. He speaks well and has just enough of the common touch to be able to relate to normal people. Sadly, he would be wasted if he ends up as a mere DJ-yannow, one of those semi-sentinent people who fills in the gaps between playing tunes. Most boring job ever, imo.No idea why people rave about them.

Anyone have the list of songs Ray called out today?
    I think they were all relaxing songs, I only caught the end of it.
    Star Star and Teardrop were on it, but cant remenber the rest,
    would love to have that playlist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭silly

Anyone have the list of songs Ray called out today?
    I think they were all relaxing songs, I only caught the end of it.
    Star Star and Teardrop were on it, but cant remenber the rest,
    would love to have that playlist.
    I'm sure they will put it on the website, but the few I can remember are:

Angel flying too close to the ground
    The avett brothers - Brooklyn (love this)
    Falling slowly - Glenn hansard.
    There was a song called skinny love I think too.

That's what I remember so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭WaltKowalski

Today I heard Ray D'Arcy pull a caller up on interrupting him.
    The hypocrite!!
    He rarely lets anyone ever get their point across, or finish a sentence, without interrupting them.

I listen to the first 5 minutes of his show most days, and, in that short time, he always manages to vex me.

He is so fond of himself!

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭bogtreader

"What happened there stop stop eject eject" cue Paolo Nutini song

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭denhaagenite

I'm pretty sure Máiread is coming onto Anton.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,817 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I'm pretty sure Máiread is coming onto Anton.
    Well liistened for a bit there and jumping of bones wouldn't surprise me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

I'm guilty of giving out about the show pretty often on here. It really began to irritate me for many reasons over the past while, and when you have no control over the radio, that irritation can really be annoying!

I have enjoyed Anton Savage when he sat in previously for Darcy and Matt Cooper.

I thoroughly enjoyed his past couple of weeks filling in for Darcy. In my opinion he is miles better in every respect to Darcy. For starters, he doesn't mess around with the technology, he focuses on the task of presenting the programme. He sounds like he takes the direction given to him and just puts his own slant on it.

Comparing that to Darcy, he would mess around with the technology. Play 10 seconds of a song, cut it, go to a break. Or else try to go to a break and make a mess of it and blame everyone but himself (repeat this a few times a day/week). He doesn't take direction from anyone. It is his show and his opinions that count. Nobody else.

Anton is genuine fun. He takes the piss out of himself and comes out with some ridiculous things about himself and really does not give a fook what anyone thinks. One of the funny ones was he was talking abut how he missed a TV show over the weekend, as he doesn't have a VCR anymore - he knew nothing about Sky+ etc. The team took the piss out of him and he laughed it off.

In that instance, Darcy would moan about how he is embarrassed and tell them to stop. He'd go on about how he doesn't have to fit in with the crowd and get Sky+ (I'm just making this stuff up, but his reactions are very predictable) He'd go on about how he came from a poor family etc. etc.

I laughed a few times a day at the things that Anton was coming out with. I don't remember when I laughed along with Darcy last.

Anton is extremely intelligent and can talk about just about anything. Where as Ray can give his opinion on just about anything, most of the time he knows nothing about them though.

I thought Mairead was very different with Anton. It's hard to describe, but she sounded more relaxed and more like she was having fun. She was different, it's hard to explain.

There are probably other things I am forgetting, but overall I think Anton Savage is a class act and I'd listen to him most certainly ahead of Darcy any day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭Clanket

You sound like Mairead, swooning over Anton :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭buster180

I thought Mairead was very different with Anton. It's hard to describe, but she sounded more relaxed and more like she was having fun. She was different, it's hard to explain..

Mairead was aloud give her opinion on things and have a bit of a laugh at Anton’s expense. Ray won’t let her give her opinion on anything that he doesn’t agree with and always has to have the last word.

It was the same when Tom Dunne used to take over from Ray, Mairead and Will were great crack. Will was missed this week, when ray isn’t around he is very funny.

Back to the IPod on Monday, until Rays next holiday.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Bopidyboo

Couldn't agree with you more ElvisCostello. Anton is funny, sweet, smart & fun. Very different to D'arcy.

Ray is back on Monday, wonder how long it will take him to let out one of his sighs :mad: (love the way the Foley Show take him off)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Bopidyboo wrote: »
    Anton is funny, sweet, smart & fun. Very different to D'arcy.

Didn't here him on the show but he wasn't a good replacement on The Last Word.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Had actually made a mental note to tune in every day possible for the past week or so....

......now it'll be back to channel-hopping and not being too pushed one way or the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

If 2Fm had any balls they should grab Anton as hes very good in the morning slot, a great replacment for tubbers as hes useless.
    Actually today fm could dump ray and jenny either. BAck to the sighing and repeating everything twice repeating everything twice next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭trebor28

do ye not think though that if anton was on everyday week in week out that he wouldnt be as good and he wouldnt be as fresh and fun as he is when he is in a few weeks in the year?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

No, he is far better than ray, even Mairead was allowed her say, her laugh was real instead of the forced laugh to make ray look good.

I feel that the team rather Anton to Ray.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 646 ✭✭✭end a eknny

No, he is far better than ray, even Mairead was allowed her say, her laugh was real instead of the forced laugh to make ray look good.

does anybody care what mairead(look at me iam lovely) has to say

• Advertisement

yes but anton's like the fun uncle that you see once or twice a year. if you saw him everyday he wouldnt be so fun.

does anybody care what mairead(look at me iam lovely) has to say

she thinks shes absolutely gorgeous!
    shes alright but not that hot, pain in the hole if you ask me!

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭DuckStab

Had to laugh at the show today. Conor Pope's price watch segment (which as usual was about 80% D'arcy talking over him) was about people who were saying they were in the same position as the chap who wrote into the Irish Times (I think) about literally living off bread in order to meet mortgage payments, and no matter what compromises they'd come up with the bank wouldn't have any of it. Conor's solution was to play hardball and simply tell the banks they'll pay what they can when they can. Throughout this, Ray repeatedly declared "It's easy for you to say, you're not EMPATHISING with them!"
    The next segment involved Ray lamenting what a stressful weekend he had due to him buying so many things in IKEA that they wouldn't all fit in the car... :pac: And of course Mairéad chiming in with her OMG OMG I'M GOING THIS WEEKEND TOO!!!! Yip.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭AnnyHallsal

DuckStab wrote: »
    Had to laugh at the show today. Conor Pope's price watch segment (which as usual was about 80% D'arcy talking over him) was about people who were saying they were in the same position as the chap who wrote into the Irish Times (I think) about literally living off bread in order to meet mortgage payments, and no matter what compromises they'd come up with the bank wouldn't have any of it. Conor's solution was to play hardball and simply tell the banks they'll pay what they can when they can. Throughout this, Ray repeatedly declared "It's easy for you to say, you're not EMPATHISING with them!"
    The next segment involved Ray lamenting what a stressful weekend he had due to him buying so many things in IKEA that they wouldn't all fit in the car... :pac: And of course Mairéad chiming in with her OMG OMG I'M GOING THIS WEEKEND TOO!!!! Yip.

I had to switch over. Ray was so hostile to Conor (he often is) it was making me uncomfortable. His know it all attitude and negativity is what bothers me most about the show. He may have lost me for good this time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

I had to switch over. Ray was so hostile to Conor (he often is) it was making me uncomfortable. His know it all attitude and negativity is what bothers me most about the show. He may have lost me for good this time.

His analysis of the situation is pretty feeble too. He's mad to 'forgive' everyone of everything, as if there's no cost to the rest of society. I'm sure it will be very comforting to granny, dying on a trolley in a corridor, knowing that everyone will be able to hold onto their bubble purchases without paying for them. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,052 ✭✭✭✭neris

i forgot that little twirp was back this week and turned in for anton savage. sounds like a right laugh of holiday. 2 weeks in kerry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭EJLL

D'Arcy has broken my tolerance for his show, which gets strained regularly.

I felt sorry for Michael D on the show today. When asked about Gay Byrne, Michael D made the comment that Gay Byrne was a good broadcaster but probably not suited to the role of presidency. Ray D'Arcy seemed offended by the truth that a broadcaster has no proper credentials in running for such a role.

The comments chosen to be read out from the listeners were embarrassing.... one in the vein of, 'he talks beyond my level of understanding, he needs to be talking to more to the people' - cringe considering he was talking about the basics of what the president does and insightful but not exactly high-brow comments about the future progress of Ireland.
    And another comment - 'He is boring. He would bore the dignitaries who come here' - again cringe. Dignitaries coming to Ireland are not exactly of the Heat magazine ilk.

I felt mildly irked that I might be lumped into the same mental category as his listeners considering I tune in from time to time. Time to tune out and let them off to talk about baby and girl products, the joys of jogging, faux GAA comradery and just a minute quiz. I'll live....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭Clanket

I can't believe I have to leave this thread coz I'm sick of people moaning about the show. Should it not be the other way around? Can the haters please STOP LISTENING TO THE SHOW AND TURN OVER.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

He got a letter from somebody today who was in a bad way with money, and signed off the letter by saying they have often thought about taking their own life, and the only thing that is stopping them is their daughter.

I was very surprised to hear Darcys first comment after reading the letter
    "<long sigh> well don't do that, because it is very selfish".

I don't claim to know anything professionally about this kind of thing, but anything I have read always points to that phrase being the worst possible thing you can say to a suicidal person.
    EJLL wrote: »
    The comments chosen to be read out from the listeners were embarrassing.... one in the vein of, 'he talks beyond my level of understanding, he needs to be talking to more to the people' - cringe considering he was talking about the basics of what the president does and insightful but not exactly high-brow comments about the future progress of Ireland.

Further to above, I was shocked when Darcy interrupted (as usual) Michael D in the middle of something he was talking about, by saying "Let's talk about something I know about ............... suicide".

He claims to "know about" suicide, but tells a suicidal person earlier on that they are being selfish? Incredible.

As I type, he is interrupting Keith Duffy by telling him about how he running a f-ing marathon, instead of just letting Duffy talk about his triathlon efforts for his charity.
    Clanket wrote: »
    I can't believe I have to leave this thread coz I'm sick of people moaning about the show. Should it not be the other way around? Can the haters please STOP LISTENING TO THE SHOW AND TURN OVER.

As has been explained many times... Don't have the option to turn over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

He got a letter from somebody today who was in a bad way with money, and signed off the letter by saying they have often thought about taking their own life, and the only thing that is stopping them is their daughter.

I was very surprised to hear Darcys first comment after reading the letter
    "<long sigh> well don't do that, because it is very selfish".

I have to say, i dont think this is a fair representation of what Darcy said. The listener obviously wanted Darcy's opinion, would you prefer he ignore such letters? Talk in cliched safe answers. He read out the mans letter and gave his honest opinion on a horrible situation.

Its very easy to criticise him, but i think Darcy provides comfort, happiness & a sense of community for a lot of his listeners.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement