Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Ray D'Arcy Show Thread - Mod note Post # 1 Updated

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

Deedsie wrote: »
    I have to say, i dont think this is a fair representation of what Darcy said. The listener obviously wanted Darcy's opinion, would you prefer he ignore such letters? Talk in cliched safe answers. He read out the mans letter and gave his honest opinion on a horrible situation.

Its very easy to criticise him, but i think Darcy provides comfort, happiness & a sense of community for a lot of his listeners.

I never listen very attentively to what he is saying, as it is on in the background, but he did say that. It's my opinion, and I think it is widely accepted, that you should never tell a person with suicidal thoughts that they are being selfish. It makes them feel worse about themselves.

From that to go on to say that he "knows about" suicide, is a bit bizarre really.

I might listen back later to see in what way I'm misrepresenting him, or maybe you can tell me how. I agree that he does provide some happiness and comfort etc. but I thought those remarks were a bit reckless.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

I used to really enjoy listening to D'Arcy but he has definitly gone downhill the past couple of years. I hadnt heard the show in a couple of months so when I tuned in last week I was delighted that Anton was on. Unfortunatly he isnt still on. I gave D'Arcy another chance this week but he is just so hard to listen to now. He rambles on about nothing for ages but constantly cuts off the guests who actually have something good to say.

Oh, and his seemingly daily screw up when playing music has just gotten sad. It was a little funny the first couple of times but now you can almost tell whats coming next, word for word.

Something needs to change imo. Maybe it's as simple as the crew just needs a shake up. Mairead and Will are always great with Anton or anyone else who fills in but are useless with D'Arcy. Obviously something isnt working so well anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

Had to listen to him for a while today when Michael D was on.

I found the interview very annoying, he constantly interrupted him, whats the point ofi nterviewing someone if you are going to constantly interrupt them to give your take on the situation.

very poor interviewing technique and very rude.

I dont think his show is a suitable place to discuss the likes of individual letters of people contemplating suicide, calling someone in that situation selfish is crass and insensitive.

He should concentrate on his childish giggling when they talk about circumcision and genetialia. he is a lightweigt trying to mix it with the heavyweight news section --totally out of his league.

I used to be a big fan, now i never listen to him by choice.

really enjoyed anton btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭bogtreader

In regard to Ray darcy and his comments on suicide he has a programme in the pipeline
    on suicide and depression i am not sure if it is TV3 or RTE.I am sure he has spoken to
    proffesionals about suicide. He also does the adverts for aware a charity that helps
    with depression i am sure is something he did after making the programme.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭ko4jm6y9iwv2lc

Bring back ANTON!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭thejuggler

D'arcy lost all credibility for me when after his repeated promises to leave the country if Enda Kenny was elected Taoiseach he bottled out of it with a weak 'oooh I didn't really mean it" and an embarassing appearance on the saturday night show with Brendan O'Connor (it was like a mini FF Ard Fheis)

Refuse to listen to him since then - pathetic little man.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,052 ✭✭✭✭neris

Think your woman just ended up with a bit of egg on her face over the camogie and hunky dorys ad. Seems like a real liveline issue this just shows darcy turning into a grumpy old man

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭purpleblaa

I hadn't listed to Darcy in about 2/3 years and then stumbled across it last week. Have to say, it has changed a bit, but it's still a very good show imo.
    It's a bit weird that his relationship with JK is talked about at length on some shows, but aside from that I don't have any issue with the show.

For me Darcy will always be a legend having grown up watching him on The Den.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 858 ✭✭✭goingpostal

I never listen very attentively to what he is saying, as it is on in the background, but he did say that. It's my opinion, and I think it is widely accepted, that you should never tell a person with suicidal thoughts that they are being selfish. It makes them feel worse about themselves.

From that to go on to say that he "knows about" suicide, is a bit bizarre really.

I might listen back later to see in what way I'm misrepresenting him, or maybe you can tell me how. I agree that he does provide some happiness and comfort etc. but I thought those remarks were a bit reckless.

I agree. A basic understanding of humanity will tell you that, when a person is under such huge psychological and financial pressure, in such a downward spiral of self-recrimination, self-hatred, and low self-worth, that they are contemplating suicide, telling them that the action they are considering is "selfish", when that action seems to the suicidal person to be the only way out of their situation, will only make matters worse. Much worse. I don't think you need a degree in psychology or psychiatry to understand this. Just a little empathy. Some of the glib, crass, poorly thought-out attitudes expressed towards very serious personal and societal problems on the Ray D'Arcy show, make me despair for the future of humanity.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭kezmanjacks

Whats the song ray plays he played it on wednesday when i was listening. Its upbeat i think its called "radio"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Whats the song ray plays he played it on wednesday when i was listening. Its upbeat i think its called "radio"
    Oh yes, i remember now when it was that you were listening on wednesday :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

Wildest of guesses based on very little to go on, radio nowhere by the boss?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭statto25

It might be the Kanyue Tree - Radio?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Shane10

i'll tell you whats wrong with the show now, every day it seems to be another letter from the public looking for a date. boring.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

Andrew Maxwell again?!

Yawn . . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Dub Ste

Andrew Maxwell again?!

Yawn . . . .

Could be worse EC,it could have been,Des"I'm so unfunny,it's not funny,but Ray loves me"Bishop.....;):mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Jersey Girl

Maxwell was on in February and also in May when he plugged his gig for Vicar Street in September. Again on today plugging the same bloody gig. Can't be long now before PJ Gallagher, Des Bishop Neil Delamare, Daithi O Se, Jason Byrne are on again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,363 ✭✭✭washiskin

Maxwell was on in February and also in May when he plugged his gig for Vicar Street in September. Again on today plugging the same bloody gig. Can't be long now before PJ Gallagher, Des Bishop Neil Delamare, Daithi O Se, Jason Byrne are on again.

Don't forget Sharon Shannon and Mundy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭Clanket

He's being a big girl about the tickets for the man with the pregnant wife.

Mairead would bate him in a fight

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

The show is on every day in work. I get a bit of a laugh from some of their segments and I'm often left flabbergasted as to how much of a patronizing toe rag D'arcy can be at times.

What kind of show is it supposed to be? Light hearted or serious? It can't work both ways.

It's all good having an opinion but there's a fine line being opinionated and then a being a dick about things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

Shane10 wrote: »
    i'll tell you whats wrong with the show now, every day it seems to be another letter from the public looking for a date. boring.

Yes! totally agree... it like a fecking dating website... feck off and try getting a man without the help of the radio public! :D

And dont get me started about fix it friday!!!... half the questions could be answered with a quick google search!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Access wrote: »
    Yes! totally agree... it like a fecking dating website... feck off and try getting a man without the help of the radio public! :D

And dont get me started about fix it friday!!!... half the questions could be answered with a quick google search!!!

Glad to know I'm not the only one who thinks that about Fix it friday.....

In general I like the show, generally I tend to flick between him and Tom Dunne. It's a great show to have on in the background, where you can half listen to the Liveline-ey issues and getting people dates who probably should just try e-harmony or some other ****e, and can get a laugh out a lot of their light hearted segments.

Surprised actually reading the thread at the level of hate towards him....

He's being a little bitch about the dog though in fairness...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

wnolan1992 wrote: »

He's being a little bitch about the dog though in fairness...

Ha! Brilliant! :D:D:D

Bah! He just praised Ruairi Quinn as someone "who look's like he's going to get the job done" with regard to SNA's....not what he was saying when those mothers were on with him last week....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

Ray = the poor mans Joe duFFy

my friend wrote: »

And Joe Duffy is the poor man's *insert any entertaining radio host here*. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭Clanket

my friend wrote: »

I'd rather listen to Ray than that twat Duffy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭batm!ke

David O'Doherty on the show... *braces self for deluge of criticism* :D

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭mikep

What is it with the Ray D'Arcy show and comedians who aren't funny???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭RachaelVO

batm!ke wrote: »
    David O'Doherty on the show... *braces self for deluge of criticism* :D

Yep, I was thinking the exact same thing :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement