Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Ray D'Arcy Show Thread - Mod note Post # 1 Updated

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

His head is disproportinally large for his body.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭tapfit2004

poor ray.
    back in 1992 backstage at feile i went up to him in the bar and asked for his autograph. my mate who had had a drink or two robbed his pint while he signing his name for me. ray turned around and was going mad. he didnt get his pint back and we ran away before anyone caught us. i text him on the show a few times about it offering to give him the name of the bloke who stole his pint but he never responded.
    he might be crap on the radio but have pity on him as a crime victim.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭el diablo

His head is disproportinally large for his body.

yeah, it's enormous. :eek:

listened to some of his show this morning. spent most of the time talking about his daughter and people knocking at his door for Halloween. :rolleyes:

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Closed Accounts Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Pigletlover

el diablo wrote: »
    yeah, it's enormous. :eek:

listened to some of his show this morning. spent most of the time talking about his daughter and people knocking at his door for Halloween. :rolleyes:

Yeah, it was like him and Jenny are the only parents that are going to have a sleeping child in the house when the trick or treaters call tomorrow night. And that his listeners should care :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭The Chessplayer

Yeah, it was like him and Jenny are the only parents that are going to have a sleeping child in the house when the trick or treaters call tomorrow night. And that his listeners should care :rolleyes:

It's really disturbing the way he keeps going on about his daughter.

Typical of D'arcy, though, to use a term like "trick or treat". It's "apples and nuts" - are you Irish or what Ray?! Mind you though, Ray does exhibit personality characteristics that are sort of American - the placid, everyone's best-friend personality, have-a-nice-day kind of attitude...just like the mormons who preach from door to door. A sort of detached creepiness.

You'd swear I was a bitter old sh!te going around the place sniping at people. Not at all - I just don't buy the well-done-sonia-o'sullivan attitude.

Give it a couple of years and D'Arcy will crack. He'll be getting himself a tall skinny latté in Blackrock or something, and the guy behind the counter will accidently use full-fat milk. D'Arcy will lose the rag completely, start over-turning tables, that sort of thing, then it will all come out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

Dude, I think you're taking it a bit too far. You're obsessed with him or something.

Did he turn you down for a date or something?

Amz wrote: »
    Dude, I think you're taking it a bit too far. You're obsessed with him or something.

Did he turn you down for a date or something?

Chap you don't have to listen to his radio show every morning in the office.

Don't call me "dude" - what's the matter with you.

There's nothing wrong with me, I'm just concerned that you're taking the whole thing a bit far. Your posts on this thread are bit disturbing.

There's nothing wrong with me, I'm just concerned that you're taking the whole thing a bit far. Your posts on this thread are bit disturbing.

You'd be disturbed if you were subjected to Ray Darcy's breakfast show every morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭gerk86

whats wrong with d'arcy? It seems no matter what subject he brings up people here moan about it.

"Typical of D'arcy, though, to use a term like "trick or treat". It's "apples and nuts" - are you Irish or what Ray?!"

what are you on about? Im 21 and have never heard that "apples and nuts" expression. Kids around here (as im sure all of Ireland) have been saying "trick or treat" for years and years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

You'd be disturbed if you were subjected to Ray Darcy's breakfast show every morning.

get an iPod

gerk86 wrote: »
    whats wrong with d'arcy? It seems no matter what subject he brings up people here moan about it.

"Typical of D'arcy, though, to use a term like "trick or treat". It's "apples and nuts" - are you Irish or what Ray?!"

what are you on about? Im 21 and have never heard that "apples and nuts" expression. Kids around here (as im sure all of Ireland) have been saying "trick or treat" for years and years.

Codswallop! I'm in my late twenties and we all said "apples and nuts" and my niece says the same and she's about 10.

Don't know where you're from buddy...

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭redfacedbear

I've never heard 'apples & nuts' either - it was 'help the halloween party' in Meath when I was growing up - and it has been supplanted by 'trick or treat' in recent years

Help the Hallowe'en Party or Trick or Treat where I was too and I'm mid twenties. Nobody wanted apples and nuts so why would you ask for them?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Help the Hallowe'en Party or Trick or Treat where I was too and I'm mid twenties. Nobody wanted apples and nuts so why would you ask for them?
    I'm in my thirties and it was Help the Halloween Party when I was a kid and that has now turned to Trick or Treat.

Never heard of the Apples or Nuts one.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

Okay folks, let's tone it down a notch or three, The Chessplayer I'm looking at you in particular.

This thread is for a discussion of Ray Darcy not the origins of such phrases as "Trick or Treat" or "Apples and Nuts".

This has been a message from the Forum Moderator, normal broadcasting will now resume.

BaZmO* wrote: »
    I'm in my thirties and it was Help the Halloween Party when I was a kid and that has now turned to Trick or Treat.

Never heard of the Apples or Nuts one.

That is madness. Must have been a Wicklow thing. Not sure where it comes from but I presume the apples refers to chocolate apples as we used to make them in school at Halloween.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 TommyShannon

Did anybody hear the show on Friday 26/10/2007 when he had the representative from the Road Safety Authority on about the new learner driver plans on.

To the disgust of over 400,000 drivers he sucked up to the representative talking from his high horse detailing the new legislation that gave provisional drivers 72hours to make plans on how they were going to get to work, creshe etc. I haven't listened to his show for months before Friday but his one way, I'm right style of broadcasting has sickened me for the last time. Onto Orla Barry from Newstalk from now methinks.

Onto Orla Barry from Newstalk from now methinks.

wouldn't exactly jump onto orla's ship if good, thought-provoking radio is what you're after. she panders to her guests as much as ray does, but at least ray is entertaining

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Did anybody hear the show on Friday 26/10/2007 when he had the representative from the Road Safety Authority on about the new learner driver plans on.

To the disgust of over 400,000 drivers he sucked up to the representative talking from his high horse detailing the new legislation that gave provisional drivers 72hours to make plans on how they were going to get to work, creshe etc. I haven't listened to his show for months before Friday but his one way, I'm right style of broadcasting has sickened me for the last time. Onto Orla Barry from Newstalk from now methinks.

What's worse is Darcy harps on and on about road safety yet cycles to work and openly admits to breaking red lights on the bike.

Personally I hate the radio due to ads and crap music but on the days I forget a CD I cannot stand his show.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭poker-jacks

I agree with the OP. D'Arcy's show has been terrible for the best part of a year now. He should never show bias towards one thing or another, but he seems to use his show as a pulpet. And, it may sound od but I wish he'd stop talking about his daughter. Great as she may be, it doesn't make for interesting radio (he comes accross as trying to appeal to grannys - an Eoin McLove type of gob****e).

His road safety bolox is getting VERY old and is clearly not working. Maybe he should switch to gun crime or something. Theres much more wrong with this country than Road Safety.

Foley's show on the other hand IS a bit of fun for your lunch time...He may talk about arse but its funny!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 TommyShannon

Foley's show on the other hand IS a bit of fun for your lunch time...He may talk about arse but its funny!!

It's nothing too serious... love the entertainment update!

If I'm not going to Orla Barry that leaves Gerry Ryan (nadda chance), Ryan Tallurdy or Pat Kenny. My God 9am to 12pm radio is actually bad!

If I'm not going to Orla Barry that leaves Gerry Ryan (nadda chance), Ryan Tallurdy or Pat Kenny. My God 9am to 12pm radio is actually bad!

talk radio in ireland is dull generally. there's no station or DJ (incorrect term i know) that's willing to take a chance and be a bit "edgy" for fear of insulting some stupid protest group.

ipod ftw, i say.

I agree with the OP. D'Arcy's show has been terrible for the best part of a year now. He should never show bias towards one thing or another, but he seems to use his show as a pulpet. And, it may sound od but I wish he'd stop talking about his daughter. Great as she may be, it doesn't make for interesting radio (he comes accross as trying to appeal to grannys - an Eoin McLove type of gob****e).

His road safety bolox is getting VERY old and is clearly not working. Maybe he should switch to gun crime or something. Theres much more wrong with this country than Road Safety.

In fairness to him, he doesn't speak about his daughter anymore, well nowhere near as much as he did in the beginning. Think it was probably down to the amount of stick he got for constantly rabbiting on about being a new father.

Agree with you about the Road Safety thing. He really is flogging a dead horse. He was right to highlight it at first as it is a problem but at this stage it's just boring. Although maybe he feels under pressure to continue to run with it as he's committed himself to the cause.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Very hard for a public personality or publication to jump off a bandwagon because its no longer, dare I say "sexy" or grabs the publics attention, or if the campaign goes stale.

I remember when the News of the World, that fine literary oracle from the Murdoch stable*, had a campaign to get the law changed regarding the publication of the whereabouts in the local community of paedophiles, in responce to the murder of Sarah Payne, a 4 year old girl who was killed by a paedophile.

They had a banner under the masthead on page 1 each week, "For Sarah" to reinforce this campaign. After a few months, it was quietly dropped.

So at what point does D'arcy say, my words and efforts are not working, lets try something new?

*comment in jest.

DMC wrote: »
    So at what point does D'arcy say, my words and efforts are not working, lets try something new?[/SIZE]
    I'd say after last Friday's show he's at that point now.

Orla Barry's about a million times worse. Ray is sound compared to Orla Barry.

"Different Nation, Different Station...nobody gives a ****e!"

Vegeta wrote: »
    What's worse is Darcy harps on and on about road safety yet cycles to work and openly admits to breaking red lights on the bike.

Personally I hate the radio due to ads and crap music but on the days I forget a CD I cannot stand his show.

Nothing wrong with breaking red lights on a bicycle as long as it's safe to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭EdgarAllenPoo

Anyone else hear Podge and Rodge on there this morning, I was listening on my earphones on the bus, people must have thought I was nuts laughing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

BaZmO* wrote: »
    In fairness to him, he doesn't speak about his daughter anymore, well nowhere near as much as he did in the beginning. Think it was probably down to the amount of stick he got for constantly rabbiting on about being a new father.

I caught a bit of his show the other morning where he was trying to find out why some people don't want to have kids. I didn't hear the start or the end of it but I can only assume that he was yet again bowled over by the sheer wonderfulness of his daughter and that that prompted the discussion. That's why I hate parents of small kids :mad:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement