Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Ray D'Arcy Show Thread - Mod note Post # 1 Updated

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭RachaelVO

Laois_Man wrote: »
    Yer one who does the agony aunt routine! Jeez she gives some really **** advice!!!

Inclined to agree, QF was better (I think), him giving advice in his weird pseudo American/D4 accent, especially when he got a bit worked up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

That Fortrell guy was torture to listen to... he should have applied for an interrogator's job in Guantanomo.

Thankfully I have no idea who the new girl you're talking about is nor what she sounds like... there are few upsides to a lack of paying work, but not having to listen to this sh*te is certainly one of them...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,742 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Finally given up on radio 1 between 9 and 10 and find there is too many smart Alecs on Newstalk so decided to give this a shot over recent mornings.

I actually found it ok and quiet entertaining to be honest. Not really worthy of the criticism and nit picking that makes up the majority of the posts on this thread.
    Just my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭DuckStab

Wertz wrote: »
    Thankfully I have no idea who the new girl you're talking about is nor what she sounds like...

Well if the new segment is anything like the old I'm sure most of the listeners have no idea either!
    *question read out*
    "I think..."
    "I'll just cut across you there,
    *Ray's opinion for the remainder if the allotted time*
    Thanks for coming in!"
    padd b1975 wrote: »
    I actually found it ok and quiet entertaining to be honest. Not really worthy of the criticism and nit picking that makes up the majority of the posts on this thread.
    Just my opinion.

Give it a week ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Wertz wrote: »
    That Fortrell guy was torture to listen to... he should have applied for an interrogator's job in Guantanomo.
    I can't believe people are saying that Fortrell was good on the show. He was shocking to listen to, and gave out terrible advice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

BaZmO* wrote: »
    I can't believe people are saying that Fortrell was good on the show. He was shocking to listen, and gave out terrible advice.

As opposed to the other people on the show that give out greaaaat advice altogether. :pac: :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    As opposed to the other people on the show that give out greaaaat advice altogether. :pac: :pac:
    Well I was just referring to the Agony Aunt/Uncle slot in particular. The new girl does a really good job, at least she did any time I've listened to her. Fortrell's advice was always terrible, and him being on the show was generally just an excuse to give his opinion on the problem(s).

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Well I was just referring to the Agony Aunt/Uncle slot in particular. The new girl does a really good job, at least she did any time I've listened to her. Fortrell's advice was always terrible, and him being on the show was generally just an excuse to give his opinion on the problem(s).

I dunno, I've always found any of the advice given to be pretty much common sense.

"Dear Ray and Gang, I think my boyfriend might be cheating on me"
    "I reckon she needs to talk to him about her trust issues."

Well done Ray. :pac:

Though some of the more recent ones, I remember the one with the two couples having trouble with IVF and stuff from a few weeks back, have been very good in fairness. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Phoenix Park

Was it yesterday or the day before (the working week just morphs into one long day) D'Arcy read out some lunatic's e mail,some guy/girl who e mailed in kissing his ass " you were having a drink in the same pub as me..but i didnt want to disturb you for a second time...they say you should never meet your heroes but i just had to speak to you..". Anyway, some complete drivel, I nearly wept, not that D'Arcy would be arrogant enough to read it out, but that someone bothered to write it in in the first place. Even if alcohol on board...just..wrong!.
    Oh, and any chance of telling yer one Dr Pixie the questions BEFORE she goes on air please??. Don't think i can bare another stupid one being read out and her saying "eh...well....shure i don't know do i...". Cringe.

Someone else chooses the radio station at work by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

Was it yesterday or the day before (the working week just morphs into one long day) D'Arcy read out some lunatic's e mail,some guy/girl who e mailed in kissing his ass " you were having a drink in the same pub as me..but i didnt want to disturb you for a second time...they say you should never meet your heroes but i just had to speak to you..". Anyway, some complete drivel, I nearly wept, not that D'Arcy would be arrogant enough to read it out, but that someone bothered to write it in in the first place. Even if alcohol on board...just..wrong!

Sure people are people...

The funny part about that though, was that the emailer hadn't actually met him, but a lookalike. Darcy was on TV at the time that the metting happened.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Phoenix Park

Sure people are people...

The funny part about that though, was that the emailer hadn't actually met him, but a lookalike. Darcy was on TV at the time that the metting happened.

Ah right. Although thats arguably even more disturbing now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭Caraville

Yeah he was only reading it out because it turned out the person being really sound and buying them drink wasn't even Ray. It was only meant as a bit of craic on the girls' and Ray's part. Although whatever about getting tricked by a looky-likey, how the hell did they not notice that his voice was completely different?! Eejits.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

Jesus Christ if I have to hear anymore of that wanna be red bulled up to the gils idiot's emails I'll scream. Ray if you or any of your team read this thread, please cop on, you listenership are probably mostly in their late 20's early 30's and abhor people like the siamese vampire girl.

Ginny wrote: »
    Jesus Christ if I have to hear anymore of that wanna be red bulled up to the gils idiot's emails I'll scream. Ray if you or any of your team read this thread, please cop on, you listenership are probably mostly in their late 20's early 30's and abhor people like the siamese vampire girl.

Hey, I'm 19 and want that b*tch to DIE! It's not a generational thing, she's just an idiot.

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭mikep

Each time Ray D'Arcy goes on holiday it becomes clear how bad a presenter he is...the stand ins seem to be able to get through a day without screwing up the continuity of music and ads without having to restort to Rays stop, stop, eject eject eject bullsiht..

Also with their obvious increase in "serious" interviews it is clear that his interviewing skills are very limited, sometimes even embarrassing..

That said I still leave the radio on today fm due to the awful alternatives...

mikep wrote: »
    Each time Ray D'Arcy goes on holiday it becomes clear how bad a presenter he is...the stand ins seem to be able to get through a day without screwing up the continuity of music and ads without having to restort to Rays stop, stop, eject eject eject bullsiht..

I would imagine that they have someone in the studio running the desk when Ray is off, so it's not really the standin's that do a good ob at the continuity. (But that's just me being pedantic, I agree it's nice not have to hear "Oh wait, not that one, this one." even though I know how daunting running a desk is.)

I'd imagine Anton is being groomed to take over from D'Arcy in the not too distant future.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

I would imagine that they have someone in the studio running the desk when Ray is off, so it's not really the standin's that do a good ob at the continuity. (But that's just me being pedantic, I agree it's nice not have to hear "Oh wait, not that one, this one." even though I know how daunting running a desk is.)

I'd imagine Anton is being groomed to take over from D'Arcy in the not too distant future.

Again Anton Savage is taking over Sundays at 11-1.

Badabing wrote: »

Yeah I know, but in a year, two years time it's very possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

Yeah I know, but in a year, two years time it's very possible.

Anything is a possible you're right but D'arcy is raking in listeners and money for Today FM so why would they replace him.

Anything is a possible you're right but D'arcy is raking in listeners and money for Today FM so why would they replace him.

Why would they get rid of Sam Smyth? :pac:

You're right. Maybe not in the "not too distant" future then, but I'd see Anton as an inevitable successor to D'Arcy. Just like KC will probably be the eventual successor to T-Fenton.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭DuckStab

OT but has Savage ever had his own show on any station? It seems all he ever is is a stand-in for someone else, or occasionally a panelist. He's pretty good as a replacement for D'arcy (not that that's a particularly impressive feat), but I remember thinking the same thing when Tom Dunne used to fill in for him.
    Then he gets his own mid-morning show on Newstalk and it's absolutely dire. Be interesting to see how he does on a permanent basis. I'd be far more inclined to listen to him than endure Smyth and his 20 minute bumbling introduction to the exact same people as were on last week.

DuckStab wrote: »
    OT but has Savage ever had his own show on any station? It seems all he ever is is a stand-in for someone else, or occasionally a panelist. He's pretty good as a replacement for D'arcy (not that that's a particularly impressive feat), but I remember thinking the same thing when Tom Dunne used to fill in for him.
    Then he gets his own mid-morning show on Newstalk and it's absolutely dire. Be interesting to see how he does on a permanent basis. I'd be far more inclined to listen to him than endure Smyth and his 20 minute bumbling introduction to the exact same people as were on last week.

I wouldn't say Tom Dunne's show is dire... I find it a decent alternative to D'Arcy when he's on a rant.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

I was never that impressed with Tom Dunne to begin with, he was okay but nothing special. Anton meanwhile is quality whenever he fills in for D'Arcy, and he's not too bad filling in for Matt Cooper either.

The sooner he replaces D'Arcy and KC replaces Fenton, the better. D'Arcy and Fenton are both going downhill very quickly in my book. That will result in (to me anyway) a brilliant morning/daytime line up for Today FM that nobody else could match.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭JM Skipton

Am I missing something? Anton Savage is the most bland indifferent presenter I can think of, comes across as a very nice guy,however he has ruined the apprentice your fired show and he will struggle in the Sam Smyth role also imagine him interviewing Gay Mitchell for example?

JM Skipton wrote: »
    Am I missing something? Anton Savage is the most bland indifferent presenter I can think of, comes across as a very nice guy,however he has ruined the apprentice your fired show and he will struggle in the Sam Smyth role also imagine him interviewing Gay Mitchell for example?

I dunno, I think he does a good job filling in for D'Arcy. Maybe it's a combination of him and Will that make it better in my opinion. (Haven't heard him on Sunday's yet so can't say.)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

JM Skipton wrote: »

I don't like Anton Savage on the telly. But he's much beter on radio!

On the other hand, interestingly, Ray D'Arcy I think would be much better on telly. Not for the Late Late show. But maybe a good alternative to Brendan O'Connor on a Saturday night!

One thing they could do is get rid of either Jenny, Will or Miread. Actually 2 of them! Today FM with their overuse of side-kicks is just annoying!

Laois_Man wrote: »
    I don't like Anton Savage on the telly. But he's much beter on radio!

On the other hand, interestingly, Ray D'Arcy I think would be much better on telly. Not for the Late Late show. But maybe a good alternative to Brendan O'Connor on a Saturday night!

One thing they could do is get rid of either Jenny, Will or Miread. Actually 2 of them! Today FM with their overuse of side-kicks is just annoying!

My vote goes for Jenny....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭allgirlz

I find the side kicks on Ray D'Arcy incredibly annoying especially bloody Mairead farrell, however they are a good production team, they did a great job with tom Dunne who is currently dying a death on newstalk and anyone who stands in does well, due to the fact that there is a good background team, but they should stay in the background, unfortunately they are all too fond of the sound of their own voices!

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭PaulieBoy

allgirlz wrote: »
    I find the side kicks on Ray D'Arcy incredibly annoying especially bloody Mairead farrell, however they are a good production team, they did a great job with tom Dunne who is currently dying a death on newstalk and anyone who stands in does well, due to the fact that there is a good background team, but they should stay in the background, unfortunately they are all too fond of the sound of their own voices!
    It's the way Mairead constantly laughs at anything Ray reads out, regardless of the content, gets me! Like a teenage schoolgirl.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 Sey

I think the show went through bad patch for a few months but deffo picking up in last few weeks. Must say mairead wouldn't be my cup of tea - the unofficial voice of the 'normal cool girl'. But like the show otherwise. Love Pixie McKennas slot.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement