Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Ray D'Arcy Show Thread - Mod note Post # 1 Updated

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 OKeeffer

Jennifer Kelly is difficult to listen to.

I enjoy D'Arcy's rants but her voice and opinions are hard to stomach so early in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭xalot

Missed the show this morning, does anybody know what happened to the guy who lied to his blind date about his appearance?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

xalot wrote: »
    Missed the show this morning, does anybody know what happened to the guy who lied to his blind date about his appearance?

I caught the end of the story, so not sure if he rang ahead or not, but they went on the date, had a great time, they're going out again next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭smaoifs

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    I caught the end of the story, so not sure if he rang ahead or not, but they went on the date, had a great time, they're going out again next week.

He sent her a real picture of himself and then rang her to explain the situation. She had been listening to the show and she was fine with it. Takes everything on dating websites with a pinch of salt and already liked his personality so was OK about it all and thought he was cute.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,053 ✭✭✭✭neris

ray darcy must have alot of desperate listeners hes doing another match making session live on air

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭Darlughda

I've a real soft spot for Ray D'arcy and his show, as he comes across a genuine nice guy and I have listened to the show for the last decade. Recently he has begun to bug me.

Firstly, his constant interrupting.
    Conor whatshisface was on a couple of days ago about consumer issues, and Ray barely let him speak.
    He kept jumping in to finish sentences and state the bleedin obvious, without giving the guy who had the information speak his piece.

This has happened a lot over the past few months with various guests, and its particularly annoying when they have something interesting to say, but Ray won't let them finish saying it!

Secondly, the speaking the obvious thing.
    He's a radio presenter and gets to speak his opinions. That can be a good thing. But its like he has only just discovered that some people don't live happy lives and are not enormously fulfilled in their work.
    He seems to be struggling to grasp the issue of depression, which is a good thing in the hands of someone who understands the complexity of mental issues, but it just sounds hollow coming from him all the time. It may be an unpleasant thing to voice, but I really think he is not the sharpest knife in the drawer.

I like Will, and Jenny Kelly. I suspect she is a lot more shrewd than her fella. But, am getting a bit tired of Mairead. She should really have disappeared after the Celtic Tiger, when the vacant blonde thing went out of fashion. At least she doesn't go on about her kid so much. Ray is painful about Kate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭Hal Emmerich

What's even worse is according to Wiki, he has a degree in Psychology!

I never heard someone so bad at asking the right questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭AnnyHallsal

I hate the way he treats Conor and some other contributors too. I cringe at how dismissive, an sometimes rude, he can be. If he realised he doesn't actually know everything the show would be better, in my opinion. He can get quite snipey at times and it's difficult to listen to.

Though I must admit, I enjoy the dating segments :o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

Darlughda wrote: »
    Conor whatshisface was on a couple of days ago about consumer issues, and Ray barely let him speak.
    He kept jumping in to finish sentences and state the bleedin obvious, without giving the guy who had the information speak his piece.

This has happened a lot over the past few months with various guests, and its particularly annoying when they have something interesting to say, but Ray won't let them finish saying it!

He's a radio presenter and gets to speak his opinions. That can be a good thing. But its like he has only just discovered that some people don't live happy lives and are not enormously fulfilled in their work.
    He seems to be struggling to grasp the issue of depression, which is a good thing in the hands of someone who understands the complexity of mental issues, but it just sounds hollow coming from him all the time. It may be an unpleasant thing to voice, but I really think he is not the sharpest knife in the drawer.

For some reason, I think the programme has picked up a bit recently.

But you are spot on with those points. I think they are the exact two things that I really dislike about him/the show.

You mention depression. But, he also reckons to be a bit of an ambassador about all things suicide.

I think I mentioned previously in this thread. He got a letter on day from a guy who was really struggling, and signed off by saying he was considering taking his own life, but the thoughts of his daughter was all that was stopping him.

Darcys first words in response to the letter were something like "well, don't do that, because it would be very selfish".

I'm certainly no ambassador, or professional, but one thing I know about it is that saying that line is the worst possible thing to say to a person in that position.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭darragh_haven

:pac:
    What's even worse is according to Wiki, he has a degree in Psychology!

I never heard someone so bad at asking the right questions.

Pat "the Plank" Kenny, Joe Duffy, etc..... most are awkward when dealing with normal people coz their heads are up their own arse and have a hefty bank balance to be looking at. (god knows why these lads get so much money) D'Arcy is not too bad in general, he's more in touch than the 2 mention above anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭allgirlz

I've a real soft spot for Ray D'arcy and his show, as he comes across a genuine nice guy and I have listened to the show for the last decade. Recently he has begun to bug me.

I like Will, and Jenny Kelly. I suspect she is a lot more shrewd than her fella. But, am getting a bit tired of Mairead. She should really have disappeared after the Celtic Tiger, when the vacant blonde thing went out of fashion. At least she doesn't go on about her kid so much. Ray is painful about Kate.
    Agree with this, the problem slot this morning was cringeworthy, why oh why does he have experts on when all he does is talk over them! Then earlier he was going on about how he knew racism would happen once the recession hit and other very bloody obvious statements, but he says them like he is the on;y person to ever think this way! Am forced to listen in work, I did enjoy the show in the past as it is lighthearted and grand background noise but Ray and his bloody opinions are grating on my nerves now!!

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭canonball5

He really got on my t1ts this morning about the Mayor in Naas. What would he know about the struggle on soial welfare and social housing. He is out of touch with reality.

With both him and his partner both earning big money on a national station, and their big house in Stepaside.. Get many non nationals out your way Ray??

He was also able to predict that racism would rise once the economy hit the sh1ts.. Good man Ray. I was always a big fan since the "Den days" but not anymore. (Hello Tom Dunne) !!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

You know what the show needs?...

More dating.

:P

......................"But, he also reckons to be a bit of an ambassador about all things suicide.

I think I mentioned previously in this thread. He got a letter on day from a guy who was really struggling, and signed off by saying he was considering taking his own life, but the thoughts of his daughter was all that was stopping him.

Darcys first words in response to the letter were something like "well, don't do that, because it would be very selfish".

I'm certainly no ambassador, or professional, but one thing I know about it is that saying that line is the worst possible thing to say to a person in that position.

Jayzus. I cannot believe he said that.

After all, there is no end of media training and guidelines available for people in the media. That is just shameful on his part.

Of course, his illconsidered reply-that is a natural response for people immediately affected or bereaved by suicide.Appealing to popular reaction?:confused:

Yet, I don't think he is trying to be cute/cliste by appealing to the popular response, just simply he is bulldozing in there to an issue that he does not realise is too big for him, albeit any altruistic motives to 'start a conversation' on such taboos.

Still, needs more dating.

Access wrote: »
    Still, needs more dating.

Nah. Will be v stilted.
    Few people are going to admit the date is what they really are.

Good dating stuff would need a balance of 'omg he was a married pervert/she was a desperate lush/they were just so dull I nearly died of boredom' etc to make it work.' But, few people will have the balls to tell how it is.

We will rip each other to shreds online and under anonymity of usernames, but Irish people would possibly rather talk about suicide and depression than be honest about the date they had, which had been hyped up and has a possible nationwide listenership.

IMHO, they would be better off concentrating on such topics like where to go or what to do to make a first date fabulous, how to keep your relationship alive, and fun stuff like how to seduce the woman/man you consider out of your league.

Forgot to include: I wish to whatever they would fúcken lose that painful odd one out quiz. Is there anything more homicide enducing than when Ray slowly begins to explain the answers they are wrong on? ARRGH! Please stop that it makes hatred, you stupid man!
    Tired of having to switch station just to avoid that irritating pain in the ass excuse for a very dated feature that features fúking well, sad people,desperate for a stupid hoodie or bobble headed ray??WTF is that about?

I have the luxury of domain over the radio I listen to in the morning. But, is most annoying to switch stations, and then leave it, because you are busy, only to discover you have missed someone interesting on. Well, somebody that Ray doesn't butt in, interrupt and finish their sentences that is as he struggles to comprehend something more challenging than that stupid quiz.

Nah. Will be v stilted.
    Few people are going to admit the date is what they really are.

Hope you didnt miss the funny side of my point... otherwise, insert faceplam here!

Hope you didnt miss the funny side of my point... otherwise, insert faceplam here!

Yeah.

Understood what you meant. You just weren't that funny.:p

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Yeah.

I thought it was funny.......... :pac:

Only 15 minutes of dating today, not nearly enough!!! I demand more desperate people looking for the ride on the radio! MORE I SAY!!!! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Dub Ste

David F*cking McSavage AGAIN Ray ??????????:mad:

• Advertisement

Yeah.

homer-facepalm.jpg?w=450&h=295

:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

first google number is 10, no idea what the prize is though!

its a chrome notebook!

2nd number is 4

10, 4,

3rd is 25

10, 4, 25

anyone else listening cause i'm away from radio for next 20 minutes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭Clanket

4th is 18

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭ilovetorun

What's the text number to send the numbers to? I cant see it on his website

53102 is the usual one now

Wait was the 5th number or question asked yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭ilovetorun

No, he hasnt revealed the 5th number yet

Thanks danniemcq

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement