Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Ray D'Arcy Show Thread - Mod note Post # 1 Updated

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭AnnyHallsal

I thought Jenny's description of the proposal was touching, especially with the death of her father last year :o

I enjoy the shows in the run up to Christmas - feels extra Christmassy listening on those December mornings.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Caraville wrote: »
    Come on, you can't be serious here. Ray has been a serious critic of the Catholic Church. In all fairness he and Jenny have been together a long time, if he was that worried about Catholic Ireland he would have married her a long time ago. Besides the fact that this is giving no credit to Jenny herself, who may not have wanted to get married til now.

Can people not just be bloody happy for the two of them?! There's so much feckin misery in this country and then 2 people who clearly love each other announce good news and people just want to knock them or find cynical reasons for the marriage. Forget Catholic Ireland, Begrudgery Ireland is alive and well anyway. Best of luck to them I say.

+1.

I reckon Jennys fathers sudden death may have had something to do with it. He may have been pushing for Ray to "make an honest woman" of his daughter or she may have a new perspective on it and also think life is too short.

Zero to do with Ray feeling guilty regarding the catholic church.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭denhaagenite

I thought Jenny's description of the proposal was touching, especially with the death of her father last year

Agreed. To be honest, I prefer Jenny to the rest of them at this stage.

Ray doesn't really seem to have a clue when it comes to the technical aspect of his job and Mairead is very irritating, especially when she tries to copy other TV/ radio personalities- that show on RTE before Christmas was a complete rip-off of Cherry Healy's format on BBC 3. Will sounds like a nice guy but I don't think it's necessary to put everything that happens behind the scenes on the radio.

Maybe having a child mellowed Jenny out over the last few years but she's definitely changed. I was very sorry to hear of her father's death. Her description of the proposal was quite moving, and made me realise that she doesn't tend to bang on about things in the same way as the rest of them do.

I did think that the reason they weren't married came across as a little bit of a D'Arcy crusade- single fathers having no rights etc etc but this may have been small- minded on my part :rolleyes:

In any case, best of luck to the both of them, since starting a family is a much bigger commitment than marriage I'm sure it will make no difference at all to their everyday lives.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

Laois_Man wrote: »
    I always get a bit confused about how D'Arcy get slagged off for the mere mention of his private life - yet when Gerry Ryan died, the constant theme of the tributes paid to him were about how part of his "brilliance" as a radio presenter was the way in which he let the listener into his personal life (ignoring how that subsequently turned to be a bit of a crock of ****), and one of the constant criticisms I hear about Tubridy is that he's too distant and impersonal from his listeners.

It seems people are never happy either way!
    I think that shows these commentators don't understand why they like and don't like certain radio.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

Mad, I never thought Ray was the type to get married but that's nice news. As is another baby. Lovely how he proposed to her too.

I've warmed to Jenny in the last few years more so too, I was never a fan of hers but her and Mairead have completely switched sides for me now, not a fan of Miss Farrell anymore, she's turned in to a pain in the hole.

Anyway, that's really lovely for both of them and their daughter, very best of luck to them :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Macca3000

Did they say they were getting married in a church? Wasn't listening today so didn't hear the details.

I think you can get married pretty much anywhere now. Don't think it's exclusive to the church.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Caraville wrote: »
    Come on, you can't be serious here. Ray has been a serious critic of the Catholic Church. In all fairness he and Jenny have been together a long time, if he was that worried about Catholic Ireland he would have married her a long time ago. Besides the fact that this is giving no credit to Jenny herself, who may not have wanted to get married til now.

Can people not just be bloody happy for the two of them?! There's so much feckin misery in this country and then 2 people who clearly love each other announce good news and people just want to knock them or find cynical reasons for the marriage. Forget Catholic Ireland, Begrudgery Ireland is alive and well anyway. Best of luck to them I say.

If one wanted to be really cynical, one could suggest that perhaps Ray getting the urge to propose over the very same Christmas period that his former fiancée Geri Maye tied the knot, may not be completely coincidental! :D

Good luck to them no matter what inspired them to do it now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 CHRIS JERICHO

Ray Darcy is a tosser !!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Ray Darcy is a tosser !!

1 week ban.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

So happy for Ray & Jenny, the very best of luck to them both with their wedding and birth of second child. In fairness they mentioned it the first day back, and it is only from other people on the show that keep congratulating them, they are quite about it. Think people are over analyzing the purpose of the proposal, does it matter, seem like two honest hardworking people, who love each other and have a family. Delighted for ye, hope its all ye wish for and more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭RachaelVO

Laois_Man wrote: »
    I always get a bit confused about how D'Arcy get slagged off for the mere mention of his private life - yet when Gerry Ryan died, the constant theme of the tributes paid to him were about how part of his "brilliance" as a radio presenter was the way in which he let the listener into his personal life (ignoring how that subsequently turned to be a bit of a crock of ****), and one of the constant criticisms I hear about Tubridy is that he's too distant and impersonal from his listeners.

It seems people are never happy either way!

Bang on! I kinda thought the same but you put it better than I could of!

I think it's great news, its about time Darcy got his act together and proposed to her. I hope they and their growing family have tonnes of happiness together!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭Fowler87

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    What the hell do they put in the water at Today FM? :confused: Every few months someone else seems to be up the duff.

Ha.. me cousin (Nathan who does the sports news) also has his missus pregnant:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,051 ✭✭✭✭neris

whos the bimbo "celebrity" that darcy has on who won come dine with me? sounds like a right ditz who likes publicity for the sake of it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭Clanket

Think her name is Roz Purcell. She was on the celebrity come dine with me last week. I only caught 15 minutes of the last one and it was hilarious. Brian Kennedy threw a glass of red wine over Paul Martin

• Registered Users Posts: 20,977 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Clanket wrote: »
    Think her name is Roz Purcell. She was on the celebrity come dine with me last week. I only caught 15 minutes of the last one and it was hilarious. Brian Kennedy threw a glass of red wine over Paul Martin
    I thought Roz was pretty cool to be honest!!

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭Caraville

Yeah I only caught the tail end of the interview but she came across are pretty sound and has her head screwed on. She was very honest in her answers but didn't come across as conceited or attention-grabbing. In fact when Ray asked her about her career modelling she said she was happy here in Ireland and is glad to be working here, didn't seem to have any delusions of grandeur. Which is nice given that she looks like this:

039F7E2B4D29DA795C118232CA612.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭KerranJast

A piece on people who don't watch Television because there "nothing but rubbish on". They've obviously not heard of HBO, AMC, Showtime, FX, BBC4 imports etc etc.

KerranJast wrote: »
    A piece on people who don't watch Television because there "nothing but rubbish on". They've obviously not heard of HBO, AMC, Showtime, FX, BBC4 imports etc etc.

Indeed. "The last 15 years" yer man was complaining about will be thought of as a high point of TV drama, The Wire, Deadwood, Six Feet Under etc.

Have to agree with them though. There's some good TV. But there's an awful lot of shíte. And if you wanted you could just watch all the good stuff online.

Have to agree with them though. There's some good TV. But there's an awful lot of shíte. And if you wanted you could just watch all the good stuff online.

Sure. But there will be a licence for that soon enough.

• Advertisement

and netflix have just launched in ireland today aswell. few months and they,ll have a load of decent content for €7 a month.

ray playing cupid again. must be alot of desperate listners to his show or else alot of people who cant do things for themeselves

Yep delighted with that. I've had a quick look at the "browse selection" option on their website but the selection seems pretty poor. I don't know if they have a lot more actually available when you register. I'll sign up for the free trial when I have a minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭KerranJast

neris wrote: »
    and netflix have just launched in ireland today aswell. few months and they,ll have a load of decent content for €7 a month.
    I wouldn't get my hopes up. It hasn't happened in Canada. They still are missing a load of content compared to the US.

I think Sky have sewn up a lot of the US shows for Sky Atlantic and also movies. That's why you don't see many newish films on iTunes in Ireland or the Xbox movie marketplace.

That said Netflix *may* be able to outbid Sky with the movie studios.

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭PaulieBoy

KerranJast wrote: »
    A tiny percentage of the total output. So to say that there is 'nothing but rubbish on' is fairly accurate!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

Ah that Dave sounded like a good laugh,wouldn't mind going on a date with him, if I wasn't married though!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭maxfresh

Ye ,you would have to wonder is it worth paying the licence fee, personally i rarely watch tv but use it to play playstation 3

• Registered Users Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭LowOdour

Neil Delemare is on again today....laughs a plenty :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭maxfresh

LowOdour wrote: »

I wouldn't mind that much if ray would let him finish a bloody sentance :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

LowOdour wrote: »

I know I'm getting as predictable as his guests, but the rotation of these comedians is ridiculous.

There are so many interesting people out there who have a story to tell. Most of the pieces that get a good reaction on his show are the human/normal person stories.

Or get some other comedians! Not the same five or six well known ones.

It's like they have to fill that 11.45 interview slot, and if they have nobody, they get one of Maireads comedian buddies in. Or, the comedian buddy looks to come in and plug the latest gig or dvd. It's boring.

Get some new interesting guests!
    and tell Ray to stop interrupting them

The blind date thing is crap too.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement