Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Ray D'Arcy Show Thread - Mod note Post # 1 Updated

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 TommyShannon

It's nothing too serious... This thread is nothing too serious, not!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

It's nothing too serious... This thread is nothing too serious, not!!
    Thats Ray Foleys line not D'Arcys isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

I think no matter what D'Arcy says/does on his show, people will complain. No show will ever appeal to 100% of listeners.

Read this and weep - he's doing something right!

"The Ray D’Arcy Show has taken a huge leap, up 23,000 listeners in its mid-morning slot, bringing the show to an all time high of 248,000 daily listeners."

That was released on 17th May 2007 and is the most recent JNLR survey result.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

Well, as of last Thursday morning I will no longer be listening to his show. If there's nothing on the other staitons I'll simply turn off the radio. Some comments he made last week were highly offensive and upsetting to me and to have to listen to them from a self righteous, ignorant idiot he is just hit home how long ago I should have switched off.

He's only interested in the back slapping texts and arse licking fan mail he receives. If it keeps those 248,000 people from texting and emailing their tripe to the other shows that I listen to then I'll consider that the only positive thing about his show.

Amz wrote: »
    Some comments he made last week were highly offensive and upsetting to me

Which comments were they - if you don't mind me asking?

• Advertisement

I do mind you asking. What business is it of yours?

I do mind you asking. What business is it of yours?

It's obviouisly D'arcy who is the "self righteous, ignorant idiot" indeed.

Thanks for making that bit obvious anyway!

You have six posts on this baord, I don't know you from Adam, I'm not about to publish on a public forum what I consider to be a personal issue. I have taken my issue up with Today FM, I have not chosen to do so with some randomer on the internet.

It is none of your business.

You have six posts on this baord, I don't know you from Adam, I'm not about to publish on a public forum what I consider to be a personal issue. I have taken my issue up with Today FM, I have not chosen to do so with some randomer on the internet.

It is none of your business.

You're the one who brought up the discussion about it!!!

If you don't want to discuss something, don't mention it. It's a simple concept ya know **Rolls eyes**

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Laois_Man, kindly drop it.

I don't like your tone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

There was a time when Ray wouldn't offer an opinion no matter what, to avoid offending anyone. Now that he's got an established show, he's taken a new line - he'll cheerfully lash out ridiculous statements, and harp on about whatever cause he's following that hour, knowing that plenty of people will support anything he says. Any sure if someone objects they must be listening. Win win situation for him!
    These days I last about 3 minutes till I have to switch the show off. In favour of music. Entertainment is what I'm after, not incorrect crowd pleasing ranting.

One would think it obvious that because I didn't mention the comments in my initial post that I didn't feel it neccessary to repeat them here.

The fact that you were unaware of a comment he made was offensive proves that I would be wasting my time repeating it here. The fact that you call me names (albeit in a veiled manner) shows that you have no argument. Why don't you email Ray a link to this thread? I would be more than happy to discuss this with him, but not with you, a randomer on the internet.

One would think it obvious that because I didn't mention the comments in my initial post that I didn't feel it neccessary to repeat them here.

The fact that you were unaware of a comment he made was offensive proves that I would be wasting my time repeating it here. The fact that you call me names (albeit in a veiled manner) shows that you have no argument. Why don't you email Ray a link to this thread? I would be more than happy to discuss this with him, but not with you, a randomer on the internet.

It's pretty hard to have any points to argue with someone who makes incomplete points! But continue being childish all you like - no doubt you'll get away with being snappy and rude - and I won't get away with showing you up for it - all just because I'm new here and you're not!

You were nosey, I told you I didn't appreciate you being nosey and why. Yet you continue to post. Unless you are in a position to resolve the issue for me I suggest you find another drum to beat.

You were nosey, I told you I didn't appreciate you being nosey and why. Yet you continue to post. Unless you are in a position to resolve the issue for me I suggest you find another drum to beat.

I don't know you - how is it "nosey" in an anonmous internet debate about, amongst other things, whether D'Arcy is rude/ignorant/entertaining or not!

Maybe I am/was in a position to resolve the matter. You'll never know now! I know D'Arcy get's comments/complaints after every single show, most of which are absolute nonsense. I mearly wished to discover which one yours was. So there's a clue!

Now you're obviously childish enough to feel the need to have the last word...so go ahead and enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭mr kr0nik

I've tuned into Lyric and its a refreshing change from listening to his daily rants...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Laois_Man wrote: »
    all just because I'm new here and you're not!

No... it was because of your 'veiled' insult as Amz put it.

Now... I'd like you to both drop this as it's pulling the thread off topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭sham69

Sorry, have to agree with Laois man he only asked a question and got the nose taken off him?
    Then he gets told to watch his tone???
    Monkey fudge I think that was a bit harsh.

The Ray D'arcy show lost the plot a long time ago, it used to be a happy go luck y anything goes type of show.
    Lately it is just Ray voicing his opinions and he refuses to accept other peoples views. Fix it Friday is the only real time I listen in anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I think no matter what D'Arcy says/does on his show, people will complain. No show will ever appeal to 100% of listeners.

Read this and weep - he's doing something right!

"The Ray D’Arcy Show has taken a huge leap, up 23,000 listeners in its mid-morning slot, bringing the show to an all time high of 248,000 daily listeners."

That was released on 17th May 2007 and is the most recent JNLR survey result.
    Actually, weren't the latest ratings out last month and IIRC his was the only show on Today FM to be down on listeners.

sham69 wrote: »
    Sorry, have to agree with Laois man he only asked a question and got the nose taken off him?
    I have to agree with you. Amz brought it up and if Laois_Man hadn't of asked I would've. Some people on the internet are just too sensitive.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭el diablo

I don't know you - how is it "nosey" in an anonmous internet debate about, amongst other things, whether D'Arcy is rude/ignorant/entertaining or not!

Maybe I am/was in a position to resolve the matter. You'll never know now! I know D'Arcy get's comments/complaints after every single show, most of which are absolute nonsense. I mearly wished to discover which one yours was. So there's a clue!

Now you're obviously childish enough to feel the need to have the last word...so go ahead and enjoy!

I'm with ya, Laois_Man. not sure why you're being bashed here...:confused:

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Moro23

No... it was because of your 'veiled' insult as Amz put it.

Now... I'd like you to both drop this as it's pulling the thread off topic.

Veiled insult. That insult you spotted must be well veiled because I seem unable to spot it, but back to ray d'arcy, Dress up as a frog and do the start of his show that way and then people text in with the normal text " oh i nearly crashed my car listening to you" It beats me.Aother thing that really gets my goat is whenever a band comes on the radio as a guest and then they do a cover version all you hear after it is " wow best cover version ever" " where can I download that track" A couple of weeks ago Duke special was on and did a cover version of a Chaka Khan/Prince song It was poor to say the least but the way they were banging on about it you would swear it was the best track ever recorded.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

This is the last warning, all of you are to drop this now. Please keep it on topic, if you want to discuss moderating decisions you can do so by PMing myself of Monkeyfudge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭The Chessplayer

Lads, D'Arcy's a knob - of that there is no doubt, but I'm not surprised that he's got a prominent radio time-slot.

Remember, this is Ireland. The most widely read newspaper in this country is the Irish Independent - so it's hardly surprising that a twit like D'Arce is popular. There is a sizeable segment of this population who think Steve Staunton deserved another chance, who thought that everyone was ganging up on poor Bertie before the election - the "Ireland's Call" brigade.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭EdgarAllenPoo

In fairness the only reason the Indo might be the most popular paper in the country is because the Irish Times is too big to read on the bus, if they brought out a smaller version like the Indo did I'm sure they'd be no.1.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Holmer

the Darce is still sound-too many good Den memories to stay mad at him. Show has lost its way a bit though, they need to stop all this maternity leave lark, Jenny and Mairead need to come back full time (though Will is a good laugh when he wants to be)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭KlondikePaddy

Lads, D'Arcy's a knob - of that there is no doubt, but I'm not surprised that he's got a prominent radio time-slot.

Remember, this is Ireland. The most widely read newspaper in this country is the Irish Independent - so it's hardly surprising that a twit like D'Arce is popular. There is a sizeable segment of this population who think Steve Staunton deserved another chance, who thought that everyone was ganging up on poor Bertie before the election - the "Ireland's Call" brigade.

Best comment yet! Irelands Call is a load of pc crap and I would wager that it's D'Arcy's favourite tune-keeps the Unionist listenership figures up. :p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

Darcy's sycophantic backing brigade make me sick. Yes Ray, no Ray, 3 bags full Ray. Ass licking brown nosers who haven't an opinion between them. They put it on in the office I work in everyday & I have to bite my lip.

The thing that bothers me the most is he never shuts up about his kid. Congratulations Ray on being the only man in Ireland with sperm smart enough to make it to the egg. The rest of us can only marvel at your Godlike abilities.

I'm getting angry just even thinking of him, better stop hitting the keys so hard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 eoinf2000

Ever since jenny got pregnant the show became hormonal with her! its gone from a half decent show to a cringe filled 3hrs with people whining about crap joe duffy wouldnt be arsed talking about, and playing music joe duffy stopped playing years ago.Ray needs to listen to some recorded shows of his from 2-3yrs ago and start laughing again.i mean who really cares how many pre-recorded msgs eircom have on they're customer service line???and as if we didnt bloody know already!!! the whole enda kenny is wooden and i swear im not partial to a bit of bertie is just laughable.regular texters (lickasses) should really get out more with all this 'that was the best cover version ever ray'. if it aint broke dont fix it!!!
    NOW SOMEONE FIX DARCY!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭smaoifs

Always have his show on in work but there are time he can be just so patronising and they seem to forget their on radio not TV so not everyone can join in the laughs as readily as we could if we saw it on TV. Like last week Ray sitting there with a bra on his head. Def agree that he needs to listen to his old stuff and get back to that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

smaoifs wrote: »
    Always have his show on in work but there are time he can be just so patronising and they seem to forget their on radio not TV so not everyone can join in the laughs as readily as we could if we saw it on TV. Like last week Ray sitting there with a bra on his head. Def agree that he needs to listen to his old stuff and get back to that.

D'arcy does a lot of gags and funny sketches that, well, don't work on radio. It's like listening in on a joke you don't get. The whole Mister Construction being another example. And, before you say you have to be a woman to get it, it was Willl's idea! The whole cleaning section they had was not as funny as they thought either.

D'arcy has gone off the boil of late. The stuff about metre readers and Eircom was tedious and I'm not feeling the same sense of outrage at the price of condoms he clearly does. Sure condom prices are important and he might have a point to make but you get sick of people moaning and whining about the same topic day after day. And as issues of the day go, the price of a jonny is issue-lite. It's hardly up there with the recent cancer misdiagnosis scandal.

He's still better than anyone else around the dial at that time of the morning. Gerry Ryan, Orla Barry? No Thanks!

Although I admit, I do sometimes stray over to Tuburdy.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement