Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Ray D'Arcy Show Thread - Mod note Post # 1 Updated

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭batm!ke

They do seem to have bitten off more than they could chew alright, but I'd rather listen to this than the blind date stuff all day.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Yerra this is a bit of craic anyway. Probably helps that I think Damo's an absolute legend. Will be interesting to se how this song turns out.

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Yerra this is a bit of craic anyway. Probably helps that I think Damo's an absolute legend. Will be interesting to se how this song turns out.

It'll be worth it when the song is released and all that, for now it's interesting to hear behind the scenes and how it's made.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

Oh Lord I was pissing myself laughing while they were waiting to talk to that fisherman! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭miketv

It was a magic moment alright, :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

Clare Bear wrote: »
    Oh Lord I was pissing myself laughing while they were waiting to talk to that fisherman! :D

Was great.

For those that didn't hear. Ray had this fisherman that is in the news today on the phone ready for a chat.

He then went on air and says "Hello Pat", only to find that Pat is in the middle of a conversation on another line (to another radio station it turned out).

They spent a few minutes shouting and whistling to try to get his attention, but he just carried on talking on the other phone!

Was funny stuff.

When they eventually got talking to him, he kept calling Ray the wrong name. He thought he was talking to Ryan Tubridy :D

• Registered Users Posts: 39,809 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Was great.

For those that didn't hear. Ray had this fisherman that is in the news today on the phone ready for a chat.

He then went on air and says "Hello Pat", only to find that Pat is in the middle of a conversation on another line (to another radio station it turned out).

They spent a few minutes shouting and whistling to try to get his attention, but he just carried on talking on the other phone!

Was funny stuff.

When they eventually got talking to him, he kept calling Ray the wrong name. He thought he was talking to Ryan Tubridy :D
    ah jaysus it was great stuff alright. The cork lad rambling away on the phone, and ray trying to get his attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭southeastg

Hi everyone ,

Been meaning to post for a while,havent heard much of the show lately just bits and pieces, did ray roll out his dad for pancake Tuesday ?

" we have a text here asking is Rays dad going to give out his recipe for pancakes"

I can imagine Mairead and Jenny looking at him saying what text? We didn't get a text from,,,,,,ooohhh one of those phantom texts, like the 20 stone trucker crying after a sad story.

Ya sure no Irish person knows how to make pancakes we need the almighty Darcy to tell us how. Maybe I'm being a bit unfair, Ray obviously loves his dad and maybe just wants to involve him in the show.

The main reason I posted was to see what you guys think about today fm in general these days. I think the DJs particularly Dempsey, Darcy and Foley have become unbearable.

I can't listen to Ian anymore, I just flick around the stations when he is on, if he is playing something I like I'll listen if he is talking I'll move on. The one thing I just cannot STAND :mad: is the way he talks and sings over songs, cuts the ends of songs when there is no need to, other than his own need to hear his own voice. He talks over the showbiz girl constantly, I won't even get into Paul Collins and his split personality.

Darcy is a strange one, he really is, the piece about the best selling cars a few weeks ago summed him up. He mentioned a golf, he said
    "That's my mode of transport,...... when Im not on the bike " . Why throw the bike thing in, but then he turns around and plays Billie Jean how can u be mad at him. He does play good music I have to say.

All I say about Foley is student humour and self indulgent.

The only shining light for today fm is Anton Savage, he has covered for at least two of the three and did a great job. He reall deserved Savage Sunday, even though I really miss Sam Smyth, which is another issue I have with today fm, the way they got rid of him.

I think there is an opportunity for 2 fm to take a lot of listeners if they could come up with someone decent, Hector and Turbidy, REALLY,,,

Anyway guys, agree or disagree, keep it civil, I have seen the way these things go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭Clanket

Two things really annoy me about Today FM these days.

1. The ads. They play an awful lot of them and most of them are really annoying. I'm never eating Burger King again after that Jedward one.
    2. They repeat new good songs over and over, ruining them for you. When the Corona's last song came out it was on at least 4-5 times a day between 8:30am and 4:30pm.
    Still enjoy most of the shows though Dempsey is slowly turning into Tony Fenton.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

Did anyone else hear the apology that was broadcast right before the 10 o'clock news? I was half asleep so didn't catch it fully. Can somebody clarify- Did Ray state that a person who text in must be a practicing Catholic and therefore lacking in compassion?

If so, then sweet 'effin hell...

I'm a lapsed Catholic, I have no strong faith but I just wish Ray would stop forcing his moral objections on everyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭skylight1987

Did anyone else hear the apology that was broadcast right before the 10 o'clock news? I was half asleep so didn't catch it fully. Can somebody clarify- Did Ray state that a person who text in must be a practicing Catholic and therefore lacking in compassion?

If so, then sweet 'effin hell...

I'm a lapsed Catholic, I have no strong faith but I just wish Ray would stop forcing his moral objections on everyone.
    Ray seems to have an opinion that anyone who believes in religon is misguided . When it comes to catholics his attitude is even worse. I love him as a DJ but this is his major flaw. I would love to turn him off when he starts ranting about religon but i dont want to miss anything , hence i just tell him to shut up through the radio

I did hear it. I can't remember exactly what he said but in fairness to him, the text that he was replying to (about breast implants) was shocking. From what I remember the texter said Vanity was a terrible sin and ..... I might be completely wrong but did they say they hoped the girl got really sick because of the implants?

Ray then said something about the person being a practicing Catholic and full of compassion.

Hopefully someone else remembers the details better

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭smaoifs

Clanket wrote: »
    Two things really annoy me about Today FM these days.

1. The ads. They play an awful lot of them and most of them are really annoying. I'm never eating Burger King again after that Jedward one.
    2. They repeat new good songs over and over, ruining them for you. When the Corona's last song came out it was on at least 4-5 times a day between 8:30am and 4:30pm.
    Still enjoy most of the shows though Dempsey is slowly turning into Tony Fenton.

The amount of ads are a real pet hate of mine. I understand advertising is where they make their money but Darcy's catchphrase has changed from "who put that there, eject, eject, play, ahh" to "quick commercial break". One day he played an ad break at 5 to the hour, played a bit of a song and then "was mad late" so went to the news.
    It's nearly a daily occurance now that they hold an interviewee over the ads to finish the interview.

I'd say they're making a fortune from texts now aswell. No matter what plan you have with your provider, you get charged for texts to Today Fm. They'd have to be getting a cut. I've stopped texting them altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Any one have the email address for fix it Friday please ?

Clanket wrote: »
    I'd say they're making a fortune from texts now aswell. No matter what plan you have with your provider, you get charged for texts to Today Fm. They'd have to be getting a cut. I've stopped texting them altogether.

Someone else can answer this better than me but I thought the reason they moved from the 083 number (or whatever network it was) and switched to the 53102 number was that it was much cheaper than a normal text. I remember Ray D'Arcy making an announcement of it at the time? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

Any one have the email address for fix it Friday please ?

ray@todayfm.com Micky!

• Subscribers Posts: 41,466 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

batm!ke wrote: »
    Someone else can answer this better than me but I thought the reason they moved from the 083 number (or whatever network it was) and switched to the 53102 number was that it was much cheaper than a normal text. I remember Ray D'Arcy making an announcement of it at the time? :confused:

texts to 53102 cost about 7.3171 cent.

They cost 0.11c on my bill. And my 300 free texts cannot be used.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭JM Skipton

southeastg wrote: »
    Hi everyone ,

Been meaning to post for a while,havent heard much of the show lately just bits and pieces, did ray roll out his dad for pancake Tuesday ?

" we have a text here asking is Rays dad going to give out his recipe for pancakes"

I can imagine Mairead and Jenny looking at him saying what text? We didn't get a text from,,,,,,ooohhh one of those phantom texts, like the 20 stone trucker crying after a sad story.

Ya sure no Irish person knows how to make pancakes we need the almighty Darcy to tell us how. Maybe I'm being a bit unfair, Ray obviously loves his dad and maybe just wants to involve him in the show.

The main reason I posted was to see what you guys think about today fm in general these days. I think the DJs particularly Dempsey, Darcy and Foley have become unbearable.

I can't listen to Ian anymore, I just flick around the stations when he is on, if he is playing something I like I'll listen if he is talking I'll move on. The one thing I just cannot STAND :mad: is the way he talks and sings over songs, cuts the ends of songs when there is no need to, other than his own need to hear his own voice. He talks over the showbiz girl constantly, I won't even get into Paul Collins and his split personality.

Darcy is a strange one, he really is, the piece about the best selling cars a few weeks ago summed him up. He mentioned a golf, he said
    "That's my mode of transport,...... when Im not on the bike " . Why throw the bike thing in, but then he turns around and plays Billie Jean how can u be mad at him. He does play good music I have to say.

All I say about Foley is student humour and self indulgent.

The only shining light for today fm is Anton Savage, he has covered for at least two of the three and did a great job. He reall deserved Savage Sunday, even though I really miss Sam Smyth, which is another issue I have with today fm, the way they got rid of him.

I think there is an opportunity for 2 fm to take a lot of listeners if they could come up with someone decent, Hector and Turbidy, REALLY,,,

Anyway guys, agree or disagree, keep it civil, I have seen the way these things go.

I really really don't get the Anton Savage love in.I don't believe he did a great job at all.I actually don't listen to the Ray Darcy show when Savage is presenting anymore.Also with his family connections he is going to have to try very hard to be objective on his Sunday show.As I have said before however he does come across as an extremely pleasant individual

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

batm!ke wrote: »

You could use webtexts to text the old 0834100102 number for free. Also, many people would have had free texts as part of their contract (to regular 08x numbers)

In contrast, the 53102 number can't be texted for free by anyone, as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭MeerKat17

Can anyone tell me who was the guy on the Ray Darcy show this morning who sang the song Georgia? I didn't catch his name.....

MeerKat17 wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me who was the guy on the Ray Darcy show this morning who sang the song Georgia? I didn't catch his name.....

Michael Stafford AKA 'Maverick Sabre'

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭MeerKat17

Thanks! I'd never heard of him before, I really loved his singing!

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭skylight1987

JM Skipton wrote: »
    I really really don't get the Anton Savage love in.I don't believe he did a great job at all.I actually don't listen to the Ray Darcy show when Savage is presenting anymore.Also with his family connections he is going to have to try very hard to be objective on his Sunday show.As I have said before however he does come across as an extremely pleasant individual
    What family connections ?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

MeerKat17 wrote: »
    Thanks! I'd never heard of him before, I really loved his singing!
    Really? He's flavour of the month for most radio stations at the moment.

Terry Prone. She's a bit of a PR guru for politicians.

These are from the Anton Savage thread...
    GSF wrote: »
    So he is on Today fm and his mammy is on Newstalk at the same time. And his daddy is RTE Chairman.
    Given the ongoing unresolved scandal of the Kate Fitzgerald affair, in which Anton Savage is directly involved, it is highly inappropriate to permit him to host ANY radio show on any topic, or boost his media presence. I find the facilitation of his presence in any medium whatsoever to be offensive in the extreme given his total silence and lack of remorse over what happened to the late Kate Fitzgerald in his employ - and I believe my feeling is shared by right-thinking people all over Ireland.

In a proper country, with a free press, his name would be mud now, not blasted all over radio stations. He should not be treated like somebody who has achieved anything on genuine merit - or good character.
    http://www.broadsheet.ie/2011/11/30/kate-fitzgerald/ is a good start

followed by

http://www.broadsheet.ie/2011/12/02/the-irish-times-and-kate-fitzgerald/>

"http://www.broadsheet.ie/2011/12/03/bully-for-them/"

http://www.broadsheet.ie/2011/12/05/kate-fitzgerald-the-irish-times-responds/

and another article by Hugh Linehan in the IT which is equally spineless and which I'm not linking to only because I'm lacking the will to bother right now.

Anton Savage has stayed arrogantly silent throughout and has not expressed a tither of remorse. Nor have his parents.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭southeastg

Thanks for the links,,,I'm embarrassed to say I didn't know any of that,,,

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭ondadole

I don't want to sound like an ould woman but Ray very nearly knocked me off my bike a few years back; by completely cutting me up, whilst on his bike at the time.
    Ray if you are reading this, look left before you turn left...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Susan Lanigan

southeastg wrote: »
    Thanks for the links,,,I'm embarrassed to say I didn't know any of that,,,

Thanks to the person who quoted me, and southeast there is no need to be embarrassed, as reportage on this has been pretty minimal and the scandal has been tamped down to the point where many would not have heard of it via ANY mainstream medium. That is due to the dynasty's power. The scandal is on their part, not yours.

Paints that nice, affable Mr Savage in an ever-so-slightly different light, n'est-ce-pas?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement