Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Ray D'Arcy Show Thread - Mod note Post # 1 Updated

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    How epic would it be if there was one tomorrow now? :pac:
    They are saving up for a whole month of nothing but dating segments :D

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Bopidyboo

I text in my answer to that competition right after he gave out the question. The prize has been given out already and they have played the lonely boy song and my text has still not delivered! Bit annoying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

I listened to the show for about a year. My conclusion; Ray is an intellectually limited man who does not know it. It's grand not to be super-intelligent, or even above average, that's fine. The problem is when a limited man like Ray THINKS he is above average, or indeed quite intelligent. Then it all goes horribly wrong, hearing him expounding his shallow profundities to (what he imagines to be) a world waiting to learn from his wise consideration.

It's a bit like the booze: you're grand if you know you are drunk - you can make allowances. Don't drive the car, don't start a fight, whatever. It's when you are drunk and you don't realise it, or don't realise quite how drunk you really are - that's when it gets messy.

By midday, the show usually winds up with either a barrage of self-congratulatory back-slapping, or a tired limp into the horrendous Ray Foley show. It's best avoided.
    I used to listen to Ray, probably stopped around 4-5 years ago. But that sums him up exactly!
    I'd say he's a nightmare to work with, sounds like he has a hell of a lot of hissy fits too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,556 ✭✭✭baldbear

I wonder is ray paying the household charge? he seems to be encouraging people not to.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Always love when they have Arthur Murphy on. :) I'm too young to remember him on TV, but I love hearing stories about TV back then.

They're playing a song he sung now, feckin' great voice so he has.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,051 ✭✭✭✭neris

Maireads just spoiled celebrity mastermind for me. Thought that might the one "celebrity" show where they,d get decent celebrities with a bit of brain power and iq.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

My local TD getting torn a new one at the moment.

That_Guy wrote: »

Rays grown some balls in old age but next week he,ll be telling us all how we should pay the charge and that it,ll be wrong not to pay and the country needs our money

What was that looney stuff about angels??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭batm!ke

Thought he was overly harsh on her to be honest. She seemed very genuine. The household charge is a load of bullish!t as it is, but plucking a hospital out of the air and deciding to give the money to that instead is just ridiculous, no matter how deserving a children's hospital is. And I say that as a father of two.

In any event, Phil Hogan should be the one he was talking to on it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭DB21

batm!ke wrote: »
    Thought he was overly harsh on her to be honest. She seemed very genuine. /QUOTE]

I would strongly disagree. The majority of TDs up this way are useless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

It's odd how he never did this during the bubble when it actually could have made a difference. FFail and Bertie were lovable rogues back then. Now that we basically have a left/right government of national unity trying to save the country, he never stops bitching about them.

Very odd.

jesus that lotto ad is head wrecking.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,646 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

That leprecaun thing did not work at all!

Genealogy Forum Mod

I thought he was ringing somewhere in china at the start.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Sully34

The only time I enjoy his show or even Will Hanafin for that matter is when Anton Savage takes over. Ray Darcy is nothing but an auld wan

• Registered Users Posts: 39,801 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Singing over the end of the songs stop it please. And on the odd one out quiz he let your man SHAMELESSLY plug his venture and basically gave away what happens on dragons den this Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Bopidyboo

Yeah the out of tune singing/humming over the end of songs is awful to listen to.

And does anyone else agree that there really isnt need for Ray to thank each member of his team by name at the end of every show?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Bopidyboo wrote: »
    Yeah the out of tune singing/humming over the end of songs is awful to listen to.

And does anyone else agree that there really isnt need for Ray to thank each member of his team by name at the end of every show?
    Unless it's someones last day or something, I reckon last thing on Friday is enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Can't see the harm in it. Most shows of that type do it, Pat Kenny, Marion Finucane, Tubridy, etc. it's just a sign of respect to those that put the show together.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

No real harm in it. It's like the credits on a TV show... although on a talk-based radio show, every day may be a bit much... once a week is usually enough, I'd have thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭GeorgeBailey

Does anyone else agree that there's really no need for Ray to breathe more than 16 times per minute?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

The worst thing is it's not even him hummoing along, just this horrible "heeeeehhhh" drone, it's like nails on a blackboard to me.

I don't see the harm in it, tbh. I imagine it's purely habit at this stage but he can be so rude and dismissive to some of the members of the team (Will in particular) so I think it's the least he can do. I suppose it's one way of preventing him from disappearing up his own ass entirely, by acknowledging that the show requires the input of others.

I rarely listen to D'Arcy any more but when I'm back home in de shticks, it's him or the local radio station (don't mention Tom Dunne :mad:)

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭ondadole

The worst thing is it's not even him hummoing along, just this horrible "heeeeehhhh" drone, it's like nails on a blackboard to me.

dap dap dap dap dap ba ba ba bam!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,813 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Does anyone else agree that there's really no need for Ray to breathe more than 16 times per minute?

FYP...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭robo

The show has hit an all time low - they are talking to a lady in labour! WHY??
    What is next, talking to couple conceiving a child??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭RachaelVO

robo wrote: »
    The show has hit an all time low - they are talking to a lady in labour! WHY??
    What is next, talking to couple conceiving a child??

Is that not something he has said for years he'd love to do... didn't hear the show this morning, but I seem to recall him saying he'd love to talk to a woman in labour quiet a few times!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭robo

Yep he said that too.

So little rays show has go from a dating show to a birthing show whether its actually a live or birth or some desperate psyhco trying to find some randomer through a radio show to father her baby. trailer trash fm

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

neris wrote: »
    So little rays show has go from a dating show to a birthing show whether its actually a live or birth or some desperate psyhco trying to find some randomer through a radio show to father her baby. trailer trash fm

D'arcy and his lumpenproletariat listeners are truly the sick side of our Nation

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement