Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Ray D'Arcy Show Thread - Mod note Post # 1 Updated

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 183 ✭✭Paracore

Splinter wrote: »
    Lets try keep this about the show folks, I care not how intelligent you all think each others jokes/puns are. If you have nothing to say about the show, don't say it

I apologise splinter I would never have forgiven myself if I had let that snippet of comical genius pass without recognition.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

Paracore wrote: »
    I apologise splinter I would never have forgiven myself if I had let that snippet of comical genius pass without recognition.

You just can't help yourself can you...

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭WaltKowalski

No, he didn't call him that. He mentioned how Pat Kenny called him that alright.

Strange interview alright.. I found it quite funny when they were talking about all of the bad interviewees in the past, including Steve Martin, Ray LaMontagne and Macy Gray. They should repeat the worst parts of those interviews for the laugh.
    And what's the common link with all those interiews - the interviewer.

I thought he was quite rude today in the way he cut off the lady who was looking after the birds. I had no problem understanding her.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

And what's the common link with all those interiews - the interviewer.

I thought he was quite rude today in the way he cut off the lady who was looking after the birds. I had no problem understanding her.

Oh don't get me wrong, I agree!

Listening to that interview today, he got it in his head it was going wrong and made no effort.. He was asking questions and not listening to the answers. He wasn't getting the answers he wanted, and couldn't handle it. I thought Seinfeld came across as a nice guy, but was just short in his answers. Darcy made a mess of the interview.

Having said all that, he did sound like a tough guy to interview.

He has some funny stories about the previous bad interviews. Would like to hear some clips of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭telecaster

Darcy made an awful hames of that interview with Seinfeld.

When you repeatedly ask questions in the style of "Did it....?" and "Was it....?" then you are wide open for short answers particularly on a phone interview where there is no previous rapport between the interviewer and interviewee.

Questions such as ''Tell me about.....?", "How did it come about.....?", "What did you think.....?", "Why did you.....?" are conducive to making a somewhat reluctant talker get in to a mode of revealing their thoughts.

It sounded like a bungled transition year effort, a giddy kid interviewing his hero.

Darcy's studio cronies and texting buddies blaming Seinfeld for a poor interview were well off the mark in my opinion.

For what its worth I generally like Darcy, but why air a knowingly dreadful interview?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭smaoifs

telecaster wrote: »
    Darcy made an awful hames of that interview with Seinfeld.

When you repeatedly ask questions in the style of "Did it....?" and "Was it....?" then you are wide open for short answers particularly on a phone interview where there is no previous rapport between the interviewer and interviewee.

Questions such as ''Tell me about.....?", "How did it come about.....?", "What did you think.....?", "Why did you.....?" are conducive to making a somewhat reluctant talker get in to a mode of revealing their thoughts.

It sounded like a bungled transition year effort, a giddy kid interviewing his hero.

Darcy's studio cronies and texting buddies blaming Seinfeld for a poor interview were well off the mark in my opinion.

For what its worth I generally like Darcy, but why air a knowingly dreadful interview?

Totally right about the questions, he doesn't seem to get the idea of asking a leading question to establish a flow of conversation.

IMO, it went wrong as soon as he brought himself into it. Started the interview with "I'm 47, short, bald, father of one, another on the way, come from a family of nine and my mother loves you". People being interviewed don't care, doesn't matter to them if he's a three headed talking donkey, they just want to get in and out. Fair enough, he did this at the start of the Goldie Hawn interview and that interview went well but he needs to learn that he doesn't need to be a "topic" of the interview himself.

He did the same with the Olympic gymnast, tried to bring it back to him and even did a cartwheel in the studio.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,049 ✭✭✭✭neris

They have paul collins on now talking about ducks that he came across in dublin city centre.. he sounds totally hammerd

neris wrote: »
    They have paul collins on now talking about ducks that he came across in dublin city centre.. he sounds totally hammerd

Usually not a fan of his reports, but thought that was particularly funny :D

He was with a student nurse who was terribly worried about the lost ducks, and he just kept cracking jokes, which she probably wasn't finding amusing!

Then as he signed off he roared down the phone "Here, Ray ..... would you email me on an oul recipe there for Duck a l'Orange"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭el diablo

What's with his two accents? A normal accent for reading the sports news but he sounds like a drunken pig-farmer now. :rolleyes:

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

batm!ke wrote: »
    Jerry Seinfeld on (pre-recorded) Ray D'Arcy, love that man!

Edit: Strange interview, still found it funny as I've seen Seinfeld being deadpan like that in interviews before, but Ray didn't seem to know how to handle it!

Here is the interview

http://media.todayfm.com/podcast/61849/?uniqueID=21180

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

el diablo wrote: »
    What's with his two accents? A normal accent for reading the sports news but he sounds like a drunken pig-farmer now. :rolleyes:

Because he thinks that putting on a thick culchie accent is funny............its not. Mod Edit, personal insult removed.

shockwave wrote: »
    Because he thinks that putting on a thick culchie accent is funny............its not

He's not even slightly funny. I feel embarrassed for the chap. He sounds like a proper simpleton.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭batm!ke

el diablo wrote: »
    He's not even slightly funny. I feel embarrassed for the chap. He sounds like a proper simpleton.

I think his "sports bulletins" are horrendous, he hasn't a notion about what he's talking about half the time, but he does have two 'accents', one for the bulletins and one for general chit-chat. He usually annoys me but did find that duck segment funny today.

Is it just me or would you say himself and Ray D'Arcy wouldn't get on? There always seems an air of disdain from Ray towards him and he generally tries to rush Collins off the air after the news and sport.

I think his "sports bulletins" are horrendous, he hasn't a notion about what he's talking about half the time, but he does have two 'accents', one for the bulletins and one for general chit-chat. He usually annoys me but did find that duck segment funny today.

Is it just me or would you say himself and Ray D'Arcy wouldn't get on? There always seems an air of disdain from Ray towards him and he generally tries to rush Collins off the air after the news and sport.

I think that's because Ray is worried what smart arse comment he is going to make about him.

I met Paul Collins once in a restaurant and he seemed to have that ''do you know who I am'' attitude.
    I couldn't warm to him.

Quite possibly but I rarely hear the show anymore. I just caught the tail end of it today. I didn't find it funny as I'd no idea what he was waffling on about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

smaoifs wrote: »
    Totally right about the questions, he doesn't seem to get the idea of asking a leading question to establish a flow of conversation.

IMO, it went wrong as soon as he brought himself into it. Started the interview with "I'm 47, short, bald, father of one, another on the way, come from a family of nine and my mother loves you". People being interviewed don't care, doesn't matter to them if he's a three headed talking donkey, they just want to get in and out. Fair enough, he did this at the start of the Goldie Hawn interview and that interview went well but he needs to learn that he doesn't need to be a "topic" of the interview himself.

He did the same with the Olympic gymnast, tried to bring it back to him and even did a cartwheel in the studio.

Ray does that with every person he speaks to on the show, the same way he thinks all the listeners care deeply about his personal life he seems to think that people he's interviewing do too.

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Michael Weston

He is a terrible interviewer, the whole interview is littered with stuttering, em, um, eh, aah mm. He sounds like a babbling idiot. The fact that he blames Jerry Seinfeld for the content quality just shows how obsessed with his own ego Ray has become. Dont get me started on the faux/nervous laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

"The Catholic Church has Fúcked this country up"

Nice to hear someone saying it straight. I cant think of another Presenter on Irish radio who would say it?

Good on you Ray!

• Registered Users Posts: 55,499 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

He was right. He said it for shock value, but he was right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭I Heart Internet

That's sad.

Ray is so consumed by anti-catholic church bigotry that he can't handle, in a sane way, what this TD was rambling about.

He doesn't actually know what religion she is at all. But instead of really taking what she said to task he just scoffs at it in his usual "ah, sure this whole country is crazy and I'm the only sane one" way.

Then he just spouts "the catholic church has ****ed up this country".. Why does he think she is the catholic church????

Bigoted ramblings. Sad.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

I love how quick he is to always condemn the country he swore he'd leave if Enda Kenny was put in charge, but obviously he didn't because of his girlfriend and child and decent job. So instead of getting to leave like he wanted and move to any one of the more enlightened places he'd prefer he's happy now to just spew bile about Ireland at any given chance.

Call me a prude but there's no need for the f word at this time of the morning. Irish radio on a whole is brutal for it. When it occasionally happens with a caller on liveline, Joe doesn't even bother apologising for it anymore.

If this was America, it would make national news and heads would roll... not that this is an ideal situation either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭I Heart Internet

Well that is kinda prudish telekon, but you're right, there's no need for that at this hour of the morning. He's supposed to be a professional, yet, it seems that he did it for effect.

A professional would have tackled the issue, got both sides, maybe even had her on to explain herself - D'arcy scoffs, drags the church (his own obsession) into it, and uses the f-word on his own show. That's not very professional.

I can see another BAI complaint in his future. This one is very similar to the last - someone says something controversial/stupid, D'arcy immeadiately blames the catholic church and this time tells us they ****ed up the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

telekon wrote: »
    Call me a prude but there's no need for the f word at this time of the morning. Irish radio on a whole is brutal for it. When it occasionally happens with a caller on liveline, Joe doesn't even bother apologising for it anymore.

If this was America, it would make national news and heads would roll... not that this is an ideal situation either.

Well I'd have no issue with callers, as they're not being paid, but the host should say after the first time "Listen, just mind your language."

I've no problem with people saying the word on air, but I just don't think there's any need for it. If you can't make a reasoned argument or have a discussion without resorting to it then you just show yourself up as being wholly unprofessional.

Many hosts seem to do it for shock value (ala D'Arcy) and it really just doesn't work.

I suspect that he's angling for the Gerry Ryan audience, trying to be as populist as possible.

Don't get me wrong, I tend to agree with him more often than not when it comes to religious issues on the show, but to just dismiss other people's views off hand (as he does with so many things [take belief in the supernatural for instance]) is really irritating imho.

Thankfully this isn't America

amiable wrote: »
    Thankfully this isn't America

Yea, that's what i implied.

I reckon the UK has the ideal outlook on the issue. Apologise and move swiftly on.

It happens relatively rarely however considering the professionalism of their presenters and producers. Well, from my experience listening to the bbc over the years anyway.

Yea, that's what i implied.

I reckon the UK has the ideal outlook on the issue. Apologise and move swiftly on.

It happens relatively rarely however considering the professionalism of their presenters and producers. Well, from my experience listening to the bbc over the years anyway.

To be honest the UK's attitude annoys me.

They are forever apologizing for trivial things.

Have to say I'm very much so 'on the fence' when it comes to the use of bad language on the radio.

I don't really care. I think radio is at it's best when people just are natural and it comes across as any normal conversation that any of us might have...

But that is what I don't like about the way Darcy throws the F bomb in. It is far from natural. He is forcing it in there for the sake of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭granturismo

I used to listen to him every morning between 9am and 9.30 while dropping my cgildren off to primary school.

As soon as the 9am news finishes I turn the car radio off - about 3 weeks ago he had one of his sex stories at about 9.10 which included some talk about vibrators - 'daddy whats a vibrator?'

This week he read out the news paper stories as usual including a survey about 14 year olds having sex.

Does he have these conversations and curse when he's in the company of his own child? I took a break from him about 3 years ago when he was obsessed with cursing - again I dont curse in front of his child so I why does he have to do it in a confined space with my children on their way to school, who are of an age to understand or question what he's on about.

Someone might reply to this and tell me, I could always change station or turn him off - well thats what I have done since Tue.

BTW, he was never going to leave the country if Kenny got elected as Taoiseach - his child was already born - just the usual over the top reaction and rant from D'Arcy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

I think hes trying to be the next Gerry Ryan, probably thinks hes cool by swearing on the radio and the sex stories just make him sound like a perv tbh.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement