Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Insurance for big cars

Options
  • 11-05-2007 11:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭

I've just been on to my insurer (FBD) regarding cover for the A8 and they want €1,285 for the year, including protected bonus and open driving. I've called a few other companies and they won't even quote for the car. Can anyone recommend anywhere else I might try? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

Anan1 wrote:
    I've just been on to my insurer (FBD) regarding cover for the A8 and they want €1,285 for the year, including protected bonus and open driving. I've called a few other companies and they won't even quote for the car. Can anyone recommend anywhere else I might try? Thanks.

Try Quinn Direct, they'll quote online, I have an LS400 insured for €840 and I ain't that old!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

maoleary wrote:
    Try Quinn Direct, they'll quote online, I have an LS400 insured for €840 and I ain't that old!
    Thing is, everyone seems to say that QD are a bunch of tossers to deal with?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Anan1 wrote:

as distinct from all the other beautiful insurance companies?? :rolleyes:

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Give St. Paul's and Britton Insurance a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,984 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Anan1 wrote:

I've never had any problems with them anyway. I've found them to be much better than AXA, who I was with previously. That said, I think FBD give much better comprehensive insurance policies than QD.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭michaelanthony

Thats a normal price. Hibernian are 1300 for a new 730d

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

Thats a normal price. Hibernian are 1300 for a new 730d

It also depends on age.That quote wont be valid for a 25 yr old

Anan1 wrote:

I would stay well clear of quinn direct.Id rather pay abit extra and be happy with service and if you have an accident you know you can claim easily whereas with quinn its just a risk

ST Pauls quoted €1350, brittons came in at €963 but without open drive. I got back on to FBD and they finally agreed to do it for €1,103 incl. NCB protection and open drive. I think i'll go with this, my own experience of FBD has always been very good and they appear to be well-regarded. Thanks again to all.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,984 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Yeah FBD seems to be the best bet, I've heard no bad things about them. Also Britton tend to be so cheap as they give very high excesses on their policies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭daedalus2097

I'm the opposite - I can say that Quinn have always been very helpful with me with any problems I've had, paid me for the value of my car when it was written off (not my fault) and then went after the other insurers for the money. Windscreen cover, breakdown assistance and a 2.0 GTI fully comp for a 25 year old for ~€1100. Not bad at all! And one company I'll be steering clear of in future is Axa, for being tossers regarding the above accident...

Anan1 wrote:
    ST Pauls quoted €1350, brittons came in at €963 but without open drive. I got back on to FBD and they finally agreed to do it for €1,103 incl. NCB protection and open drive. I think i'll go with this, my own experience of FBD has always been very good and they appear to be well-regarded. Thanks again to all.

How did they drop the price from 1285 to 1103 so quickly, Why dont insurance companies ever do that for me :(

That seems like a good deal.

drdre wrote:
    How did they drop the price from 1285 to 1103 so quickly, Why dont insurance companies ever do that for me :(

That seems like a good deal.
    It wasn't quick and it wasn't easy, it was actually a bit like a game of chess.;)

Stark wrote:
    Yeah FBD seems to be the best bet, I've heard no bad things about them. Also Britton tend to be so cheap as they give very high excesses on their policies.
    Now that you mention it, there was an excess of €350 on their quote. FBD do seem to be a very nice bunch of people, although I have to wonder could they keep it up if I took out a school bus in my new A8. ;-)

Anan1 wrote:

What year is the A8

• Registered Users Posts: 20,049 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Anan1 wrote:

did you try eagle star? insuring me on a e39 bmw 530 for 600 quid :cool:

Cyrus wrote:
    did you try eagle star? insuring me on a e39 bmw 530 for 600 quid :cool:

Wow thats good, is there an excess on that, is it fully comp.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,049 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

fully comp and full ncb protect

drdre - the A8 is a 99

Cyrus - Tried Eagle Star, they said they wouldn't quote for the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

drdre wrote:
    How did they drop the price from 1285 to 1103 so quickly,

Because, like most commericial entities, they will charge as much as they think you will pay.
    drdre wrote:
    Why dont insurance companies ever do that for me :(

Penalty points?

• Advertisement

eoin_s wrote:
    Because, like most commericial entities, they will charge as much as they think you will pay.
    Penalty points?

They have a fixed penalty point penalty.Its around 200 euro and thats for as many penalty points you get.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭onemanband

Anan1 wrote:
    drdre - the A8 is a 99

Cyrus - Tried Eagle Star, they said they wouldn't quote for the car.

What engine size is the A8?

onemanband wrote:
    What engine size is the A8?
    4172cc or thereabouts.

Anan1 wrote:
    4172cc or thereabouts.

Is it a KK reg??

onemanband wrote:
    Is it a KK reg??
    Nope, this will be my first Dublin registered car in a long time!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

I think it is the 'open drive' bit that may be pushing up your premium.

Anan1 wrote:
    Nope, this will be my first Dublin registered car in a long time!

The very best of luck. I had a 99 KK A8 4.2 and it was nothing short of spectacular!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

drdre wrote:
    I would stay well clear of quinn direct.Id rather pay abit extra and be happy with service and if you have an accident you know you can claim easily whereas with quinn its just a risk

Quinn are the fastest and easiest in the country to deal with claims.

testicle wrote:
    Quinn are the fastest and easiest in the country to deal with claims.

Who said that.So are most of the papers wrong.And stuff that i have heard about them are brutal.I wouldnt go near them even if i was given free insurance.And im not joking
    They were over 1000 cheaper for my insurance but i didnt go near them and i wont

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

drdre wrote:
    Who said that.So are most of the papers wrong.And stuff that i have heard about them are brutal.I wouldnt go near them even if i was given free insurance.And im not joking
    They were over 1000 cheaper for my insurance but i didnt go near them and i wont

I had a claim settled and paid out within a week of the crash. Others have had the same experience.

Quinn of old used to be cowboys, but that no longer appears to be the case. I haven't seen one of those reports in the papers in a long while.

Do you believe everything you hear? Here's one for you, gerry adams is really a woman.

Advertisement