Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Insurance for big cars

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

testicle wrote:
    I had a claim settled and paid out within a week of the crash. Others have had the same experience.

Quinn of old used to be cowboys, but that no longer appears to be the case. I haven't seen one of those reports in the papers in a long while.

Do you believe everything you hear? Here's one for you, gerry adams is really a woman.

Yeah i do believe what people say, I do believe but still wont go near them
    I just have a perception about them so wont use them

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

drdre wrote:
    Yeah i do believe what people say, I do believe but still wont go near them
    I just have a perception about them so wont use them
    Out of interest, I just rang Quinn Direct. Their service during the call was miles worse than FBD, the operator was slow and pretty clueless. Cover is also not as good as the cover being offered by FBD. To top it off, they quoted €1,309, ie €200 more than FBD.

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭rowanh

Im insured with quinn direct. I find them to be good, id have a few complaints but nothing major. I had a claim made against me and it did take alomst 2 years to get it sorted, im not sure though if it would have been sorted quicker with another company. I find my insurance fairly cheap aswell.

Does anyone konw who is the best insurance company for very powerful modified cars?

• Registered Users Posts: 65,353 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Did you try Eagle Star, Anan1?

I've fully comp with bonus protection, open driving and limited business use. You're of similar age to me with a similar car and similar (very long) NCB. I'm paying €700. Now I've been with ES for a few years, so I might be getting some kind of loyalty discount, but you should be able to get a better quote than you have so far

A bit of a pain to get quotes for a large-engined car as you've probably found out by now. About half of the quotes you'll get the "Oh sorry we don't insure cars with an engine over 2.5l" :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Hi Unkel,

I tried them, but they said they wouldn't quote for the car. I think some insurance companies will only insure high-risk cars for existing customers? I know that when I sold the C280 to a friend, FBD refused to quote him for the car even though they were already insuring it for me. If there were some way of finding out how much an insurance company would charge if only they would quote then I could just insure the Alfa with them for a week or so and then change..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

I'm with FBD, and have been for several years. I did €2k worth of damage to the car last year, which was paid quickly and didn't affect my policy as I had no claims protection.

Also, I deal with insurance companies regularly through work, and FBD are the ones who always go "tell us how much the replacement will be so we can pay up" (I'm a jeweller, so it's dealing with house policies).

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Anan1,

For what it's worth, I use Glennons. Now, it is a group scheme,so that probably explains why my insurance is alright, but I know they will quote above 2.5 litres as I recently got a quote of about 1100 or so for a Lexus GS300. It's worth the cost of a call anyway.

Eoin

• Registered Users Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

In light of the recent troubles with my 523i I called my crowd (RSA) and inquired about a switch to a similar vintage (99) 535i and they quuoted 815 for the year, that's up from 496 for the 523i. Best quote I've had in a while and I moved my business from Hib only last month when their best 523i quote came in at 1100. So try Royal & Sun Alliance, you might be surprised.

Edit - comp, open drive, step back etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

eoin_s wrote:
    Anan1,

For what it's worth, I use Glennons. Now, it is a group scheme,so that probably explains why my insurance is alright, but I know they will quote above 2.5 litres as I recently got a quote of about 1100 or so for a Lexus GS300. It's worth the cost of a call anyway.

Eoin

I had a group scheme option with Glennons, but they were still WAAAY more expensive than Hibernian who were the only other ones to quote me at the time for €4600 on a 1986 Opel Kadett 1.2 which I was offered for €50.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

bazz26 wrote:
    Give St. Paul's and Britton Insurance a try.

St. Pauls don't quote to the public, you'll have to go through a broker like Jartin Lloyd Thomas or whatever they're called!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,353 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Anan1 wrote:
    Hi Unkel,

I tried them, but they said they wouldn't quote for the car. I think some insurance companies will only insure high-risk cars for existing customers?

Ah crap! I forgot to mention that I'm not directly insured with ES. I'm insured through Frank Glennon (a broker). It's not logical (as a broker is an added party that needs to earn a commission), but they have been giving me by far the best quotes for years. Ring them and let us know!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

drdre wrote:
    Who said that.So are most of the papers wrong.And stuff that i have heard about them are brutal.I wouldnt go near them even if i was given free insurance.And im not joking
    They were over 1000 cheaper for my insurance but i didnt go near them and i wont

What planet do you live on? QD have dealt with 3 claims (in my favour each time) They are excellent and intelligent and responsive. Can't say that for any other insurer. Experience has taught me to ignore Hibernian and Eagle Star, they're so bad.

Advertisement