Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Problem with my car. Any Ideas?

Options
  • 11-05-2007 11:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭

This doesn't happen all the time, but is getting to be a more regular occurance.

Normally when I'm accellerating, & mostly when moving from 1st to 2nd gear, although occassionally from 2nd to 3rd also.

I take off in 1st gear, when going fast enough I put in the clutch to change into 2nd gear, but the gear stick won't release from 1st gear & I have to really wrench it to get the car out of 1st gear.

Also, when this is going to occur, as soon as you engage the clutch (to move from 1st to 2nd) all the power gets sucked out of the car.

What I mean by that is:- imagine the feeling when you use the gears to slow down instead of the brakes. Like if you went from 3rd to 2nd gear without using brakes, imagine the forced slow down of the car, well it's this loss of power that I get when the gear stick is about to stick.

Have any of you come across what I'm describing before?
    Which do you reckon is at fault:- the clutch or the gear box?

Incidentally, the clutch IS quite knackered & is being replaced this weekend.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I'm no mechanic, but it sounds as though your clutch plate may be sticking? If so, a new clutch will cure it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Sounds like your clutch is not disengaging - i.e. you are still in gear so when you release the throttle the car 'engine brakes'.

I'd imagine all will be well when you get the knackered clutch replaced. It could well be that the pressure plate has partially collapsed - this part is normally replaced along with a new clutch disc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭slipss

Yeah what they said, it could also be the clutch release mechanism however, you do not say what car you drive or where you are getting the clutch done but the release mechanism isn't always changed along with a clutch replacement on cars, so it would be worth mentioning it to whoever is changing your clutch, because if they don't change it while they are changing the clutch and it turns out that it is the release mechanism causing the problem you describe it's going to cost you another wad of cash in labour once they have the new clutch in and the bell housing back on to go back and replace it.

Advertisement