Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Limits Dial-up package?

Options
  • 11-05-2007 12:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,019 ✭✭✭

This is not really a b'band question but sorry, I didn't know where else to put it:
    Are there any 'phone companies out there that do a package which allows you to surf the 'net for as long as you want, at anytime you want, for a set fee.
    The last company who did it were IOL with their No-Limits package which infamously crashed and burned in 2001 if I remember correctly. That left a lot of people pissed off so no-one else has tried something similar since I assume.
    The closest I've seen to it now is Esat BT's Flat Rate Anytime for €26.99 per month which gives you 180 hours online per month (http://home.btireland.ie/echannel/BTres.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=btres_page&homePage_actionOverride=%2Fpageflows%2Fhomepage%2FshowAnytimePage).

I've just signed up with skyDSL (see my other thread) so I need to get a flat-rate dial-up package for it or I will be robbed.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

I don't know much in this area but...

I don't think there is ANYONE offering a product for flat fee dial up. The ESAT BT offer you mentioned seems to be the norm. Total rip off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

180 hours is enough for anyone really. Nobody offers completely flat rate because people abuse them.

Had SkyDSL for 6 months with Flatrate 180 hours from Perlico and it worked fine.

Perlico had the cheapest package at the time, I don't know if they still are. 56K connection with Perlico was actually faster than it was when connecting with eircom, 42kbps (Perlico) instead of 32kpbs (eircom).

Callcosts.ie might be good for finding the cheapest package

brim4brim wrote:
    180 hours is enough for anyone really. Nobody offers completely flat rate because people abuse them.

All credit to the brim4brim but you're talking through your 'ole, in fairness. 180 hours might be good for you but you are only one person.

Consider a business who needs access to internet and email every business day and can't get broadband. 180 hours doesn't cover that.

That is only one example. Open your eyes and mind, mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,019 ✭✭✭lukin

I suppose since the IOL No limits fiasco nobody will ever offer no limits for a flat fee again. Just wanted to know anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭Myxomatosis

I have SkyDSL and I use a 3 phone as my upload.

You'd have to get a bill phone, €20 a month for the talk time, then buy a broadband addon, 100 megs for €6 or 250 megs for €10. Or if you need to upload alot of files/send lots of large emails, then get the "unlimited" for €20.

100 megs upload would be fine for "normal" usage. I get the 250 megs because there are 3 regular users of this internet connection in the house. Yet we had around 80 megs left over this month.

The best thing about SkyDSL is how little uploading it needs, especially when downloading files. I downloaded a 500 meg file and only 60kB had been uploaded.

And I can leave it downloading crap all night and not have to worry about the per minute costs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

IrishTLR wrote:
    All credit to the brim4brim but you're talking through your 'ole, in fairness. 180 hours might be good for you but you are only one person.

Consider a business who needs access to internet and email every business day and can't get broadband. 180 hours doesn't cover that.

That is only one example. Open your eyes and mind, mate.

They're not designed for buisness user's obviously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭mcaul

http://www.utvip.com/index.asp?loc=ie

UTVip XL gives you the freedom to explore the Internet at anytime day or night for the equivalent of less than 83c per day. There are no hidden costs or installation charges. Too good to be true? It gets better! Bundled with our Flat Rate Internet service comes our Telephony Package, UTV talk which offers unrivalled value for money! You will have TOTALLY FREE local and national evening and weekend calls within all of Ireland and the UK,
    10% SAVINGS on all daytime and international calls* and
    5% SAVINGS on calls to Irish mobiles*

• Registered Users Posts: 4,019 ✭✭✭lukin

mcaul wrote:
    http://www.utvip.com/index.asp?loc=ie

UTVip XL gives you the freedom to explore the Internet at anytime day or night for the equivalent of less than 83c per day. There are no hidden costs or installation charges. Too good to be true? It gets better! Bundled with our Flat Rate Internet service comes our Telephony Package, UTV talk which offers unrivalled value for money! You will have TOTALLY FREE local and national evening and weekend calls within all of Ireland and the UK,
    10% SAVINGS on all daytime and international calls* and
    5% SAVINGS on calls to Irish mobiles*

Cheers for the link mcaul, but there's a limit of 180 hours on that. Eircom & BT do a 180 hours per month package for much the same price as that but nobody does no limits it seems.

ntlbell wrote:
    They're not designed for buisness user's obviously.

Quite true, but some businesses have no option but flat rate dialup.
    However, that was only one example. There are many more. 180 hours is not great.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭phill106

I wonder do i still have my " You have been overusing the esat nolimits" letter around somewhere ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭baegan

try imagine, unlimited monthly @3M for ~60 euro

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Dreambiz

I have UTVip and they've given me good service for several years now. It is true, however, that there is a limit for their dialup product. If you go over it for the month, you get charged by the minute.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭Skyuser

180 hours dial-up 24.99
    always on 2Mb broadband 20.99

Doesn't make sense.

Advertisement