Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

hanging up the boots -- depression

• 11-05-2007 12:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,723 ✭✭✭✭

played my last 11 a side game this week -- too old , lack of pace , and tired of getting the run around by young 19 year olds -- the body won't do what the head says -- and too many aches and pains and a worn out body -- fealt totally depressed for 2 days afterwards -- if only there was a cure for old age --
    i'll continue to play astro turf , and follow my sons progress , but i'm a terrible spectator .

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

the next step progression,golf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Jesus that does sound depressing. As a matter of interest what age are you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,723 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Pighead wrote:
    Jesus that does sound depressing. As a matter of interest what age are you?

gotta a couple of years over my hero Roy Keane ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

What level were you playing at? Could you drop down a few divisions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

thebaz wrote:
    fealt totally depressed for 2 days afterwards

Well Baz it could be worse. I suffered two cruciate injuries early on in my career when I was with Rovers and was told at 21 that I should give up playing football as my body will most likely not be able to take it.

Took some years off and did a very slow recuperation program. Eventually got back playing only to jack it in ater two seasons. Physio was right, I couldn't cope with the slower pace lower divisions of the united churches league. Now at the age where I should be in my prime 28, I'm finished with football and will never play another season again. I'm now playing keeper for my 5-a-side astro team.

So put it this way, it could be a lot worse but I understand your pain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,342 ✭✭✭Ardent

I'm back playing 5/6 a side footie again after a break of a couple of years. I'm 33 now and I've noticed the oul legs are definitely not what they used to be. Stamina is suspect too, downward spiral from here on in. Sucks balls but what can you do? I wouldn't be getting depressed about it anyway, that's life. I'll always enjoy the social/health aspect of playing footie every week at the very least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Is the Over 35's league not an option?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

thebaz wrote:
    played my last 11 a side game this week -- too old , lack of pace , and tired of getting the run around by young 19 year olds -- the body won't do what the head says -- and too many aches and pains and a worn out body -- fealt totally depressed for 2 days afterwards -- if only there was a cure for old age --
    i'll continue to play astro turf , and follow my sons progress , but i'm a terrible spectator .
    You sound perfect for Boardeaux :D

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=833

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

iregk wrote:
    Well Baz it could be worse. I suffered two cruciate injuries early on in my career when I was with Rovers and was told at 21 that I should give up playing football as my body will most likely not be able to take it.

Took some years off and did a very slow recuperation program. Eventually got back playing only to jack it in ater two seasons. Physio was right, I couldn't cope with the slower pace lower divisions of the united churches league. Now at the age where I should be in my prime 28, I'm finished with football and will never play another season again. I'm not playing keeper for my 5-a-side astro team.

So put it this way, it could be a lot worse but I understand your pain.

knee/cruciate injuries are the worst. even a sprain at 16 coupled with a bit of cartilage tear has left me with knees that act up at times, but at least i can still run. i really feel for ya man!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

Mate consider yourself lucky you had a career. I was a skinny 11 year old with potential. Playing week in week out and loving it. Got asked to play for the U16's but my dad said no as I was still small. Playing a match a few weeks later got a chip out of my shin and went to hospital and they said it will heal in a month or so, went back 2 months later they found a major problem with my hip and had to have operations on it ever since. I am only recovering from it now and still am not fast enough to make it on teams (as thats the first thing teams look for). Its a pain in the hole especially when the start of the season comes and you cant help but wish you were there :(. I wouldnt mind but I believe I have the ability to make it on a team (100% scoring rate :)) but teams take one look at me and just say no instead of giving me a chance to prove myself. I mean nobody can prove themselves good enough to play in 2 training sessions on astro turf especially as I am 17 now and havent played a full competitve match in 6 years. Sorry if this sounds like a sympathy plea or anything but I am just trying to show you there are people who have hardly ever played.
    Hope you feel better soon mate.

• Advertisement

Reganio 2 wrote:
    Mate consider yourself lucky you had a career. I was a skinny 11 year old with potential. Playing week in week out and loving it. Got asked to play for the U16's but my dad said no as I was still small. Playing a match a few weeks later got a chip out of my shin and went to hospital and they said it will heal in a month or so, went back 2 months later they found a major problem with my hip and had to have operations on it ever since. I am only recovering from it now and still am not fast enough to make it on teams (as thats the first thing teams look for). Its a pain in the hole especially when the start of the season comes and you cant help but wish you were there :(. I wouldnt mind but I believe I have the ability to make it on a team (100% scoring rate :)) but teams take one look at me and just say no instead of giving me a chance to prove myself. I mean nobody can prove themselves good enough to play in 2 training sessions on astro turf especially as I am 17 now and havent played a full competitve match in 6 years. Sorry if this sounds like a sympathy plea or anything but I am just trying to show you there are people who have hardly ever played.
    Hope you feel better soon mate.

no , i have snapped out of it now , and i was lucky to play for a good few years , with no serious injury -- most of my problems are now my back , but as you say its the lack of speed that kills you -- just knew it was over -- have already signed up to play Astro turf stuff -- but whatever age you are that sinking fealing of never playing competitvly again hurts -- regardless of what level -- and county i am considering golf -- used to be quite handy -- start saving again for membership .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

knee/cruciate injuries are the worst.

They sure are. The worst part is when I eventually got back to running I started to get ankle injuries as they were over compensating for the knee. Makes you realise how finely balanced your body actually is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

thebaz wrote:
    no , i have snapped out of it now , and i was lucky to play for a good few years , with no serious injury -- most of my problems are now my back , but as you say its the lack of speed that kills you -- just knew it was over -- have already signed up to play Astro turf stuff -- but whatever age you are that sinking fealing of never playing competitvly again hurts -- regardless of what level -- and county i am considering golf -- used to be quite handy -- start saving again for membership .
    Good, good. Out of curiosity what team did you play for and are they looking for players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,198 ✭✭✭kensutz

Count yourselves fortunate, at the age of 26 I have to hang up my boots because of a heart problem. Only discovered 2 weeks ago but I've been told not to attempt to play football again until they can find out the extent of the problem. Still had the opportunity to play at Carrow Road and Colney where we demolished Ipswich youth 7-0.

it was only junior football i played for a few teams in Dun Laoghaire and lately blackrock -- started out in dundrum -- but i enjoyed it , up until now, when the young lads just whizzed by me -- highlight was reaching a leinster senior league final a few years ago , and any of my rare goals -- i'd say all teams are looking for players at pre season in late july

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

its not as bad as it sounds baz, if your still able to play astro, then all is not lost. the amount of people playing astro these days is huge. keep playing until your physically unable to do so, not when your head says so!

Advertisement