Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Modified car insurance - who's best?

Options
  • 11-05-2007 12:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,450 ✭✭✭

OK, we all know insurance companies are a joke who know nothing about cars. We also know about certain Glanza drivers insuring their turbos as standard 1.3 cars. I want to insure a heavily-modified car properly at a rate that won't leave me in the poorhouse. What insurance company do I talk to?

For the record, the car has a smaller engine and less BHP than most Evos and Skylines, so I should be able to insure it for less than one of these, right? I'm also at a stage where age shouldn't be an issue.

Your recommendations, please.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

blastman wrote:

For the record, the car has a smaller engine and less BHP than most Evos and Skylines, so I should be able to insure it for less than one of these, right? I'm also at a stage where age shouldn't be an issue.

Your recommendations, please.

As id say your well aware the random number generator insurance companies use will come into effect here.

Ive always declared mod's be them exterior or suspension ect and not had my premium loaded altho did have slight hassle with quinn before in that they originally tried to load my premium due to a value increase but said they wouldnt pay the new value should a claim arise :confused:

It seems fairly vaired at the minute but most people i know with hipower stuff eg skylines evos,are with Quinn.Some of the lads down the country say st pauls and britton insurance are giving them fantastic quotes but again its down to the individuals specific details and mods done

• Registered Users Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

I'm insured with Hibernian and they didn't seem to give a toss about mods. At first they were looking for proof that they were professionally fitted but then they didn't even want that. Replacing them wouldn't be covered by the insurance though....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,450 ✭✭✭blastman

What kind of mods do you have, BK? The car I'm talking about has had a turbo fitted, just wondering what sort of fit that might cause in the Insurance Inc. office.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

That could be a different situation alright. Mine just has an exhaust, air filter and dump-valve. If you tell them you have a tubo they probably will have a fit. But if you tell them it's a forced induction kit they might not cop on ;)

blastman wrote:
    What kind of mods do you have, BK? The car I'm talking about has had a turbo fitted, just wondering what sort of fit that might cause in the Insurance Inc. office.

Was it a car that had a variant as a turbo?

Ie a starlet that was originally a 5 door nun back but had a turbo conversion or a hybrid job like a turbo civic?

• Advertisement

No, there was no turbo variant of the model in question.

Could be a problem there,id say they'll look for an engineers report on the car before they may quote you on it

Yeah, was afraid of that. Would they specify the engineer (I presume they mean mechanic) that they want to look at it?

Afaik they dont,well i was asked to get one by quinn before and it gave a choice of any main dealer or any simi approved mechanic/garage

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement