Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Knocking sound when turning

Options
  • 11-05-2007 12:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭

I sometimes hear a knocking sound in my 2000 Ford Mondeo when I turn the wheel. It sounds like a bearing may be worn/ wearing. It’s especially noticeable when I drive with the full steering wheel lock on, for example when turning on a roundabout. Any suggestions of cause of the problem?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,988 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

Sounds like the wheel bearings to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭JoeySully

If its a click click click then CV Joints or if is a fast drum drum drum then prob track rod ends, you can check this by jackin up the wheel and put two hands on the tyre and shake the wheel back and forth. it should hot miove. Take off the wheel to get a look at it it the joint that joins the steeerin to the wheel.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Sounds like a worn CV joint. Any decent mechanic should be able to supply and fit a new one.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭daedalus2097

Yeah, I'd put money on the CV joint too - it'd be the most common one and will only happen initially when you're at full lock in either direction, but gradually will start to happen closer and closer to straight. Best to get it sorted before then though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Ah CV joints, another reason for RWD. Sadly I'm in an Audi and just ordered an Inner CV for my automatic A6 - 250 squids.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭mondeoman

Seamus357 wrote:
    I sometimes hear a knocking sound in my 2000 Ford Mondeo when I turn the wheel. It sounds like a bearing may be worn/ wearing. It’s especially noticeable when I drive with the full steering wheel lock on, for example when turning on a roundabout. Any suggestions of cause of the problem?

If its a Knocking sound you hear,then it could be the front anti-roll bar bushes or links which is more common fault on a mondeo than a cv joint.Does it also knock when you are driving in a straight line?.the bushes are very cheap but a pain to replace.

Advertisement